Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

1 hour ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Football clubs havent come in for him because the money we would want for him doesn't equal what they're willing to pay. Hes pricless to us because hes vital to the way we pay. We couldn't get an replacement in for close to 30 million. 

Harsh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

To extend your vehicle analogy, my car might only be worth book value, but if someone came up to me and offered that to me, I'd tell them to sod off, because

a) My car isn't for sale

b) I don't have time to buy a replacement right now

c) I'm using my car and it's important to me

d) Regardless of the fact that my car could break down in the future, it works fine right now. If I sell it now, I won't have time to get a new one, and I will be fooked because I won't be able to go where I want to go to.

But yes, let's sell Vardy now, leaving ourselves with only Iheanacho to play that role, when he has so far been nowhere near the required level for us so far. Still, when we've fooked up our Europa league chances, at least we'll have one Slimani's worth of money to try to replace our best striker in the Summer, eh? And good players will be falling over themselves to come to a club that shows the ambition to hobble it's own sporting chances to chase a short term profit at the expense of actually achieving something.

Spot on this.

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

As someone who goes to games AND watches us on TV when we play away, I can safely say that being there gives a far greater understanding and overview of what is going on. 

@Colourmy, I have no wish to pick a fight because our opinions differ, so I'm not going to slag you off at all. What I will say is that Vardy often has an exceptional touch. There was one ball to him on Saturday that was far from routine to bring down perfectly, so I can forgive him that sort of error, but plenty of evidence of a sharp brain and thought out hard work. The Watford backline did not enjoy dealing with him. 

Of course he's not perfect, but to suggest he's a one or two trick pony (as you seem to be suggesting, to my eyes at least) is to do him a great disservice. 

Saved me posting it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colourmy said:

Yes I know and agree to an extent but we are going to need to change very soon. The thing with injuries or age, they don't give you a specific date for when they take hold but with a 31-year-old striker at a PL club, it would be considered irresponsible to not have something in place for when the inevitable happens.

Get it in place now, play Vardy 2 out of 4 games and sell him if someone bangs 30 million on the table.

Wtf. We do need to be planning for him reaching an age when he can't do what he does any more but that is still 2/3 years away potentially. He's the best striker we've had since linekar and it's unlikely we'll be able to replace him. What his value on the market is is irrelevant. He's worth more than that on the pitch for us. Definitely don't sell for anything.

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, orangecity23 said:

To extend your vehicle analogy, my car might only be worth book value, but if someone came up to me and offered that to me, I'd tell them to sod off, because

a) My car isn't for sale

d) Regardless of the fact that my car could break down in the future, it works fine right now. If I sell it now, I won't have time to get a new one, and I will be fooked because I won't be able to go where I want to go to.

But yes, let's sell Vardy now, leaving ourselves with only Iheanacho to play that role, when he has so far been nowhere near the required level for us so far. Still, when we've fooked up our Europa league chances, at least we'll have one Slimani's worth of money to try to replace our best striker in the Summer, eh? And good players will be falling over themselves to come to a club that shows the ambition to hobble it's own sporting chances to chase a short term profit at the expense of actually achieving something.

And if you did sell it, the replacement will probably be more expensive and might turn out to be a lemon.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

19 hours ago, Colourmy said:

What a ridiculous statement. If he was worth 60 million and was a shoe-in for 15-20 goals a season in any of the top teams in the UK or Europe, he would not be here now. That would be the bargain of the decade for any club. He suits our game, less so as the month's pass by but he's 31 for god's sake. No-one has undervalued Jamie Vardy, Leicester fans over value him!

You are very delusional it seems. 

He is priceless to us, we couldn't replace him and I wouldn't even accept £75m for him, because to us he's worth so much more than that but maybe not to other clubs. 

You seem to forget that we are currently 7th in the league with only the big hitters above us, only the season before last we won the league and are currently the 14th richest club in the world. So to say "he would not be here now" like we are not that great a catch is just bizarre. Some people just fit at football clubs and Vardy fits here where he wouldn't fit in at any other club. He could've gone to Arsenal but CHOSE to stay. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, orangecity23 said:

a) My car isn't for sale

A) If someone offered three times the value of your car, would it still not be for sale?

B) You have four replacements/ alternatives that you have acquired over the last couple of years, the need to buy as a replacement isn't as critical as you think. They may not have the go faster stripes on like your first one, but you can adapt.

C) Using it is fine, especially when no-one has offered to buy yet but don't forget the other 4 you have bought recently!

D) Is a repeat of A,B and C essentially.

KI hasn't shown enough yet, I agree but if we had no other choice, he'd find his way with game time and a slight change to our current style.

My original point was that if someone offered 30m, the club would have a choice to make. That's all.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

You are very delusional it seems. 

He is priceless to us, we couldn't replace him and I wouldn't even accept £75m for him, because to us he's worth so much more than that but maybe not to other clubs. 

You seem to forget that we are currently 7th in the league with only the big hitters above us, only the season before last we won the league and are currently the 14th richest club in the world. So to say "he would not be here now" like we are not that great a catch is just bizarre. Some people just fit at football clubs and Vardy fits here where he wouldn't fit in at any other club. He could've gone to Arsenal but CHOSE to stay. 

The very notion that he went for a chat, suggests the club was prepared to do a deal. That to me suggests there is a price point that is triggered on a business level that trumps sentiment. JV chose not to go and bench warm, not LCFC.

I'm not sure how that makes me delusional but not everyone else involved in that little jaunt to North London?

34 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

A) If someone offered three times the value of your car, would it still not be for sale?

B) You have four replacements/ alternatives that you have acquired over the last couple of years, the need to buy as a replacement isn't as critical as you think. They may not have the go faster stripes on like your first one, but you can adapt.

C) Using it is fine, especially when no-one has offered to buy yet but don't forget the other 4 you have bought recently!

KI hasn't shown enough yet, I agree but if we had no other choice, he'd find his way with game time and a slight change to our current style.

My original point was that if someone offered 30m, the club would have a choice to make. That's all.

lol At £30m there is absolutely no choice to make.

22 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

The very notion that he went for a chat, suggests the club was prepared to do a deal. That to me suggests there is a price point that is triggered on a business level that trumps sentiment. JV chose not to go and bench warm, not LCFC.

I'm not sure how that makes me delusional but not everyone else involved in that little jaunt to North London?

Nonsense. He had a £20m ish release clause in his previous contract which doesn't exist in his new one as I understand it.

Your arguments are totally flawed. Give it up on this one!

Edited by Blue Fox 72

7 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

lol At £30m there is absolutely no choice to make.

Nonsense. He had a £20m ish release clause in his previous contract which doesn't exist in his new one as I understand it.

You're arguments are totally flawed. Give it up on this one!

Okay, what is the release clause in the new one? I'm asking because you seem to know the in and outs of a PL contract detail.

I'm glad I got the schoolboy grammar error in too. lolz

Edited by Colourmy

31 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

You really are a colossal tool or a troll. The replacement for Vardy would be 100% necessary straight away if we sold him - iheanacho hasn't shown much yet, slimani is reasonable but would require a different style of play, shinji compliments Vardy, not replaces him, and Leo is a pointless carthorse. There's not a ready made replacement for Vardy anymore than there would be if we sold schmeichel and ended up with hamer in goal. There's someone who would wear the shirt, but at the expense of weakening the team.

if someone offered anything a choice would be made, that's how transfer bids work. It'd be an easy choice though - no, he's not for sale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colourmy said:

Okay, what is the release clause in the new one? I'm asking because you seem to know the in and outs of a PL contract detail.

There isn't one. Club got rid of release clauses after we lost Kante for less than he was worth, this is public knowledge given it's been mentioned in interviews a couple of times.

18 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

I'm glad I got the schoolboy grammar error in too. lolz

Fair play you got me on the grammar. I blame autocorrect! :D

I'm not ITK but as far as I'm aware he doesn't have a release clause in his current contract.

I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle on this one based on the majority of opinions on here. This doesn't mean you're not entitled to your own but we'll have to agree to differ regarding this subject.

As @MC Prussian says we're getting somewhat off topic here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Fair play you got me on the grammar. I blame autocorrect! :D

I'm not ITK but as far as I'm aware he doesn't have a release clause in his current contract.

I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle on this one based on the majority of opinions on here. This doesn't mean you're not entitled to your own but we'll have to agree to differ regarding this subject.

As @MC Prussian says we're getting somewhat off topic here.

Not that this has feck all to do with the topic but to back you up Shakey said we had no more release clauses in contracts. Not for you Blue Fox 72 but I do feel an ignore coming soon lollol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Colourmy said:

You mean Arsenal met the clause in his contract. 

I'm all for cashing in on older players if we get a good offer for them but only if they're not in the first XI. Vardy is one of our best players if not the best and there is no one threatening his position at the moment. It also send out a negative message to the players and prospective players when we're willingly cashing in on our top players.

I'm happy to sell players who aren't in the first XI but are in their late 20's and 30's if we get an offer we think exceeds their value. Players like Ulloa, Slimani, King I would sell in a heartbeat for the right money and I'd also consider Fuchs, Morgan and Huth sales for good offers as it appears they're slipping out the first XI. That might be harsh on the latter three but offers would be considered nonetheless. 

Vardy though is not just one of our best players but a world famous player who improves the profile of the club and can help attract new players to come here. I would guess he'll never be sold and I'm more than happy with that.

18 hours ago, Colourmy said:

My view with JV is that his game relies mostly on others' being razor quick in the mind and playing a ball through to him. 

If that doesn't happen, then Vardy struggles. He struggles with his close control of the ball at his feet and his penchant for taking a tumble is his answer to not being able to play his way out of trouble. When you take those points in isolation, you tend to see that speed and surprise is his bag and not too much else. 

Teams that play deep, he really struggles with.

I did try and find some data on games won with Vardy and games won without Vardy but couldn't ( didn't try too hard). I think it may surprise a few.

I looked and he's simply in the starting line-up far too often for the handful of games where he hasn't played (10 games in all comps this season and the last) to provide suitable source material, especially considering most of them were dead rubbers or cup matches where we played against reserve or lower-league teams.

7 hours ago, Bert said:

(Vardy) is priceless to us, we couldn't replace him and I wouldn't even accept £75m for him, because to us he's worth so much more than that but maybe not to other clubs. 

Some people just fit at football clubs and Vardy fits here.

Spot on. Totally agree.

• Like 1