Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sooper Steve's shin

Nicky Maynard

Decent player, potential big money signing, concrete links to Leicester - seems like just the kind of character a fans' forum should be discussing.

What on earth is the point of closing TWO of the most popular threads of the summer? Who cares if there hasn't been news for a couple of days? Does it matter if people are not producing pearls of wisdom or "inside information" with every posting? Just because one or two people with the power to lock a topic get "bored" of it, who are they to say people should not be discussing it on this board? The ultimate judge of whether a topic is interesting or not is when it slides down the list and people stop posting.

The forum should be a fun place for people to discuss what they want. There are far, far too many thread nazis on Foxestalk - so what if we have a thread about the same topic? Does it matter if something is in the "wrong" forum or you cannot immediately detail the source of your information? IMO, the control freakery is crazy - why even have separate Transfer Talk and Leicester City threads? Surely these things are one and the same.

I also fail to see any reason why people complain about having to trawl through pages and pages to find any news. If you want updates, go to a blog or official news site. A messageboard is all about threads of conversation and (just like in real life) these may waver and stray from the original topic. It doesn't matter!

Back on topic (if we have to), is Nicky Maynard the answer to our striking problems? Presumably he would be signed to play in the centre of our front three, although at 5'11 he's not exactly a Big Steve or Yakubu target man. And how do people think he compares to Shane Long (in terms of style of play etc)? I can't say I saw too much of either last season.

Or you could just find some mates and discuss it with them!

Power crazed Mods.

Webbo for Mod!

Edit.

I fail to understand the point of closing the thread/s there are dozens of threads that are stupid, or pointless or of no consequence, but isnt this a forum?, isnt it about discussion? Would the person who closed them care to explain his/her reasoning?

I binned the 'Maynard Signs' thread that appeared briefly this morning because, er, he hadn't signed. :huh:

I binned the 'Maynard Signs' thread that appeared briefly this morning because, er, he hadn't signed. :huh:

I assumed we were talking about the rather lengthy "no news on Maynard" thread. Obviously threads that are completely untrue (as the one you mentioned appears to be) should be closed. I just tend to agree with the OP who suggested that if its got 100+ pages and people are still visiting and commenting on it... its worthy of being open. Threads will die of natural causes.

Has it closed?

Good.

This is Foxestalk.

This isn't the child chat crap exchange.

Do you all feel censored, do you?

I think there should be an e- interview before people are allowed to post on this forum.

People should only be allowed to post in the forums which they have the skills and knowledge to post in.

Many posters in the Maynard thread may not qualify to post anywhere.

So, let's get some base criteria set around the following topics:

Politics & Social Affairs

Music

Football

Sport and Leisure

I'll see if Mark will let us have an assessed minimum standard of understanding and awareness applicants to post on the forum must demonstrate.

We'll never need to close another thread again if we take social responsibility and protect the forum from turning into nonsense......

The above is perhaps going too far - My point is that closing a thread protects the integrity of the forum - Moderation could be taken much further, please see above.

Edit: Close this thread.

Has it closed?

Good.

This is Foxestalk.

This isn't the child chat crap exchange.

Do you all feel censored, do you?

I think there should be an e- interview before people are allowed to post on this forum.

People should only be allowed to post in the forums which they have the skills and knowledge to post in.

Many posters in the Maynard thread may not qualify to post anywhere.

So, let's get some base criteria set around the following topics:

Politics & Social Affairs

Music

Football

Sport and Leisure

I'll see if Mark will let us have an assessed minimum standard of understanding and awareness applicants to post on the forum must demonstrate.

We'll never need to close another thread again if we take social responsibility and protect the forum from turning into nonsense......

The above is perhaps going too far - My point is that closing a thread protects the integrity of the forum - Moderation could be taken much further, please see above.

Edit: Close this thread.

Your use of the return button in that post rules you out of posting in any thread!

If you close threads, either new ones start or people talk about Maynard in other threads, taking them off topic. Keep them open I say. I also don't see the point of closing a thread when we declare ourselves not interested, or even when a player signs for someone else. Doesn't mean there is nothing else to say. Like the CMS thread, which then spilled over elsewhere and had to be reopened.

Waste of effort in my view, we would be better off with our generally excellent Mods banning ****wits.

The forum should be a fun place for people to discuss what they want. There are far, far too many thread nazis on Foxestalk - so what if we have a thread about the same topic? Does it matter if something is in the "wrong" forum or you cannot immediately detail the source of your information? IMO, the control freakery is crazy - why even have separate Transfer Talk and Leicester City threads? although at 5'11 he's not exactly a Big Steve or Yakubu target man. And how do people think he compares to Shane Long (in terms of style of play etc)? I can't say I saw too much of either last season.

Who are they? Be brave enough to name names. Surely if folk on here are arguing for other forum users to be bombed, gassed or shot then they deserve to be named and shamed.

Or could it be that you're just using grossly exaggerated hyperbole as a flimsy pretext for a puerile self-indulgent rant?

Believe it or not, the world will not suddenly cease turning if a few semi-literate halfwits are denied the opportunity to contribute to a "discussion" (I use the term VERY loosely), which in the absence of any credible developments in the real worls, passed its sell-by date some time ago.

If you close threads, either new ones start or people talk about Maynard in other threads, taking them off topic. Keep them open I say. I also don't see the point of closing a thread when we declare ourselves not interested, or even when a player signs for someone else. Doesn't mean there is nothing else to say. Like the CMS thread, which then spilled over elsewhere and had to be reopened.

Waste of effort in my view, we would be better off with our generally excellent Mods banning ****wits.

The problem with that approach is half of the current users would disappear... lol

Who are they? Be brave enough to name names. Surely if folk on here are arguing for other forum users to be bombed, gassed or shot then they deserve to be named and shamed.

Or could it be that you're just using grossly exaggerated hyperbole as a flimsy pretext for a puerile self-indulgent rant?

Believe it or not, the world will not suddenly cease turning if a few semi-literate halfwits are denied the opportunity to contribute to a "discussion" (I use the term VERY loosely), which in the absence of any credible developments in the real worls, passed its sell-by date some time ago.

lolappl.gif

lol

Only half? You clearly haven't seen my 'list'. :whistle:

I think Fi we could get the shortlist down to about sixty current posters and a further one hundred part-time/semi retired members.

All the others could just enrol on football workshops led by first4lcfc off twitter?

Only half? You clearly haven't seen my 'list'. :whistle:

I did wonder, as soon as I sent that post, whether I was being too generous.. :blush:lol

:

I think Fi we could get the shortlist down to about sixty current posters and a further one hundred part-time/semi retired members.

All the others could just enrol on football workshops led by first4lcfc off twitter?

:crylaugh:

Kind of agree with the sentiment, that threads self manage by dropping down the page naturally

but I disagree because most of what went off in the Maynard thread was just bullshit

It's now made the Long thread unusable too

Yes some people may be extremely happy getting to type bullshit over 100 pages, but many many more people miss out. On almost every page there is a comment asking if anything has happened because people just can't keep up with the bullshit

IMO there should be 1 thread for transfer gossip which would probably run to 1,000 pages of inane Maynard/Long chat plus all the bullshit that surrounds it, keeping the actual player threads for actual relevant info and on topic chat surrounding that info

should I set up an attention seeking thread with those views? NO

Should I PM someone suggesting it? maybe but I cba and they're too overworked to go pandering to my specific needs

Should I wine and bitch about it whilst expensively leeching someone's server space & bandwidth I haven't contributed too, No, absolutely not

Hmm, you're more generous than me but, ok, I'm willing to reach a compromise.

:whistle:

I take it you're buying the pints that will be needed to lubricate this momentous decision-making process? :D

Kind of agree with the sentiment

Apart from what most of what went off in the Maynard thread was just bullshit

Yes some people may be extremely happy getting to type bullshit over 100 pages, but many many more people miss out. On almost every page there is a comment asking if anything has happened because people just can't keep up with the bullshit

IMO there should be 1 thread for transfer gossip which would probably run to 1,000 pages of inane Maynard/Long chat plus all the bullshit that surrounds it, keeping the actual player threads for actual relevant info and on topic chat surrounding that info

Should I PM someone suggesting it? maybe but I cba and they're too overworked to go pandering to my specific needs

Should I wine and bitch about it whilst expensively leeching someone's server space & bandwidth I haven't contributed too, No, absolutely not

Oh, I think you should.... just to fit in, like. :P

Kind of agree with the sentiment, that threads self manage by dropping down the page naturally

but I disagree because most of what went off in the Maynard thread was just bullshit

appl.gif

Hmm, you're more generous than me but, ok, I'm willing to reach a compromise.

:whistle:

I take it you're buying the pints that will be needed to lubricate this momentous decision-making process? :D

Alcohol and a cull - sounds like an interesting party.

If you really want to find out, surely you can just go to the OS..or even... HERE

I appreciate that the providers of FT may well suffer some financial loss, but to be fair, no-one forces them to do it. All of this "waste of bandwidth and server space" talk is just a bit silly, and, keep in mind that every page opened is an advert served and every click is revenue to those long suffering FT providers. So, if youre closing threads..you are potentially reducing their revenues.

As far as whats stupid, whiney, irrelevant..or whatever, just dont read threads that you dont like...and even ignore people you dont agree with although that would lead to (in my opinion) a more narrow minded attitude, but, to each their own.

"I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Archived