Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr The Singh

Racism @ florist again

Hi guys i have been city fan for over twenty five years and a reader of this forum for the last couple of years. I was unfortunate to have a seat near the Forest fans on Saturday and i now feel that now is a great time for all football fans to clean up their behaviour.

On Saturday i took my ten year old lad along with me who at no fault of his own is on the plumb/large side. A large amount of the City fans who were sat around us continually shouted abuse at the Forest fans near us like "you fat bastard", "you bald c***". As you can imagine this caused great embarrassment for myself and my son, not to mention damaging his already shaky confidence. As the chants by the Forest fans are being investigated as a possible hate crime due to the alleged appearance of a large population of the people living in Leicester, is calling/chanting "you fat bastard" "you bald c***" considered a hate crime? It certainly caused great offence to me and my son and possibly may others around us. Is it ok to abuse some by their appearance but not others. I think not.

So does this make those who chanted one thing but protest/report another hypocritical? I think we all need to have a good think. It maybe too much to ask but hopefully one day one can attend a football match and not be insulted because of you appearance.

Pff...grow a thicker skin. Football matches are never going to be anodyne environments - and I'm pretty sure you knew that when you bought your tickets.

By the way, I'd be curious to know how your son got fat 'through no fault of his own'.

Hi guys i have been city fan for over twenty five years and a reader of this forum for the last couple of years. I was unfortunate to have a seat near the Forest fans on Saturday and i now feel that now is a great time for all football fans to clean up their behaviour.

On Saturday i took my ten year old lad along with me who at no fault of his own is on the plumb/large side. A large amount of the City fans who were sat around us continually shouted abuse at the Forest fans near us like "you fat bastard", "you bald c***". As you can imagine this caused great embarrassment for myself and my son, not to mention damaging his already shaky confidence. As the chants by the Forest fans are being investigated as a possible hate crime due to the alleged appearance of a large population of the people living in Leicester, is calling/chanting "you fat bastard" "you bald c***" considered a hate crime? It certainly caused great offence to me and my son and possibly may others around us. Is it ok to abuse some by their appearance but not others. I think not.

So does this make those who chanted one thing but protest/report another hypocritical? I think we all need to have a good think. It maybe too much to ask but hopefully one day one can attend a football match and not be insulted because of you appearance.

There is a easy way to avoid being offended just don't take your bald head and Plump kid to football matches.

With the guys here.

You fat bastard is always going to be a common chant at away games along with other things to take the piss out of, grow thicker skin or stick to the family stand. This is going to sound harsh but You can't shut everyone up just so a little porker doesn't get offended.

With the guys here.

You fat bastard is always going to be a common chant at away games along with other things to take the piss out of, grow thicker skin or stick to the family stand. This is going to sound harsh but You can't shut everyone up just so a little porker doesn't get offended.

But racist chants were commonplace 20 years ago, the fact it is common doesn't make it right, I am still unclear if the poster and his kid were targets of the chants or just uncomfortable hearing them. I think if the kid was singled out by away fans and abused for being fat then that is not on, but if you are going to go to a football match, rightly or wrongly, you are going to hear a lot of swearing/moaning/abusive chants. People normally only get singled out for abuse if they are giving it or like Jobber are drawing attention to themselves.

To be honest when newspapers and magazines and society as a whole are so obbsessed with appearance, then people will use it to make fun of others that look different or are "unattractive", it would be nice to live in a society where looks aren't important (some of you might even get laid) but I think in some cases you have to either toughen up or not put yourself in situations where you expose yourself to this kind of behaviour.

But racist chants were commonplace 20 years ago, the fact it is common doesn't make it right, I am still unclear if the poster and his kid were targets of the chants or just uncomfortable hearing them. I think if the kid was singled out by away fans and abused for being fat then that is not on, but if you are going to go to a football match, rightly or wrongly, you are going to hear a lot of swearing/moaning/abusive chants. People normally only get singled out for abuse if they are giving it or like Jobber are drawing attention to themselves.

To be honest when newspapers and magazines and society as a whole are so obbsessed with appearance, then people will use it to make fun of others that look different or are "unattractive", it would be nice to live in a society where looks aren't important (some of you might even get laid) but I think in some cases you have to either toughen up or not put yourself in situations where you expose yourself to this kind of behaviour.

No he said that City fans were chanting it at Forest players (Reid).

This latest twist in this 'debate' illustrates what an exercise in futility this whole affair is. Does anyone honestly think that the morons who were guilty of the chanting on Saturday are truly racist?

When people like this get together the 'pack mentality' takes over and they select a target on the basis of a difference between themselves and said target, be it colour,stature, lack of hair, disablility or any other perceived difference. This difference is then incorporated into an offensive chant.

Look at the video on You Tube, the offenders are kids who think it's funny, I find it difficult to see any actual malice in their expressions. The genuine racists are the BNP, NF and EDF who believe that the every malaise that befalls us is directly attributable to immigration and who advocate violence towards minorities.

The idiots responsible for the chanting do not deserve the oxygen of publicity you are affording them and by making an exceptionally large mountain out of this insignificant molehill I can guarantee such chants will continue as they can see the effect it has on certain peoples sensibilities.

This latest twist in this 'debate' illustrates what an exercise in futility this whole affair is. Does anyone honestly think that the morons who were guilty of the chanting on Saturday are truly racist?

When people like this get together the 'pack mentality' takes over and they select a target on the basis of a difference between themselves and said target, be it colour,stature, lack of hair, disablility or any other perceived difference. This difference is then incorporated into an offensive chant.

Look at the video on You Tube, the offenders are kids who think it's funny, I find it difficult to see any actual malice in their expressions. The genuine racists are the BNP, NF and EDF who believe that the every malaise that befalls us is directly attributable to immigration and who advocate violence towards minorities.

The idiots responsible for the chanting do not deserve the oxygen of publicity you are affording them and by making an exceptionally large mountain out of this insignificant molehill I can guarantee such chants will continue as they can see the effect it has on certain peoples sensibilities.

I don't disagree with what you say but surely it's better to raise the issue so the vast majority of them can realise it's not acceptable, as you say the vast majority are not racists but just joining in so are intelligent enough to be educated and not join in the next time.

Don't be naive.... Who do you think it is who go on to be members of radical organisations?

It's KIDS who start young, are not educated into the importance of racial equality and learn to know no better.

These kids may think its funny to do these things now, but some of them may well grow up to believe some of the stuff they are chanting and thinking.

If you believe that such 'innocence' precludes young people from developing radical thinking as they get older you are simply wrong.

It's very often a sign of what's to come.

Fukin hell. Can't believe some of the posters on this page. 'stop taking your kids to mcdonalds' and 'little porker'

No wonder our fans are thought of as arseholes.

The blokes said its through no fault of the kid. Do you need any more reasoning than that? Fukin hell im speechless.

Should we then tell any asians if they're gonna be offended by going to the games and getting racially abused that they shouldn't come to the football?

Fukin hell. Can't believe some of the posters on this page. 'stop taking your kids to mcdonalds' and 'little porker'

No wonder our fans are thought of as arseholes.

The blokes said its through no fault of the kid. Do you need any more reasoning than that? Fukin hell im speechless.

Should we then tell any asians if they're gonna be offended by going to the games and getting racially abused that they shouldn't come to the football?

It's called humour you should try and get some if you can. What kind of sterile world would it be if no one took the piss ? I give it and can take it. But i get really pissed at the po faced moaners who look at life through a make believe ideology that pays no heed to reality.

Of course I meant the kid no harm it was more a piss take at the bleating sheep noises of the dad complaining about being a slap head . So Fukin hell yourself you sad Walter. Ps please feel free to remain " speechless"

It's called humour you should try and get some if you can. What kind of sterile world would it be if no one took the piss ? I give it and can take it. But i get really pissed at the po faced moaners who look at life through a make believe ideology that pays no heed to reality.

Of course I meant the kid no harm it was more a piss take at the bleating sheep noises of the dad complaining about being a slap head . So Fukin hell yourself you sad Walter.

What is a Walter? (at first I read it as waiter) It is not the first time I've heard someone use it on this forum, it's not one I've heard before.

What is a Walter? (at first I read it as waiter) It is not the first time I've heard someone use it on this forum, it's not one I've heard before.

I'm not sure I'm guessing it's a more sophisticated way of saying Wally so be glad it's not your name as it's obviously derogatory funny.

Well showing my age here a bit but Walter was a character in the Beano. He was the one that Dennis the Menace constantly took the piss out of because he was the school swat and resident Fop , with plastered down hair geeky glasses and wearing what can only be described as a little lord Fauntleroy suit. I have his character in mind when ever I suggest someone is being a Walter.

There's a time n place for humour. When a blokes posted on here with a serious point why take the piss? Noone took the mick saying to the asian bloke that he should paint himself white or something similar. Why's it ok to take the mick out of an overweight lad but not someones skin colour? That was my point

Ok I was being a bit flippant but did he really make a serious point ? were we really supposed have taken umbridge because he got offended at a football match because people shouted " you fat Bastard" and " Baldy" Had he never been to a football match before ?

Lets get some reality here by all means lets get rid of racism by any means but getting all pc over silly name calling ei Fat and bald is just ridiculous and deserves the response it got.

If you don't want the kid to hear a few swear words, don't take him to an away game with our biggest rivals, simple!

Well showing my age here a bit but Walter was a character in the Beano. He was the one that Dennis the Menace constantly took the piss out of because he was the school swat and resident Fop , with plastered down hair geeky glasses and wearing what can only be described as a little lord Fauntleroy suit. I have his character in mind when ever I suggest someone is being a Walter.

Yes I remember Walter well, he would be very well recieved today with curent young lads fashion and the trend for geek chic, in fact quite a modern day babe magnet.

I remember Walter, Walter the Softy if I remember right,

fnfights_beano.jpg

I just didn't make the link, a lot of beer has passed my lips since I last read the beano, maybe it's time for you too to move on to more adult material.

Archived