Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ross 'LCFC' Turner

Why do you hate Matt Mills?

Ok the seasons over and it's reflection time. Why does everybody hate Matt Mills so much? 

When he first signed the forum was buzzing with excitement, I can remember the thread like it was yesterday, because I was buzzin too. I remember Stringers tweets throughout the day updating us when he arrived for his medical etc. I can remember people saying he was going to be the next Steve Walsh. 

Paying 5million (rumoured) was a joke, but at the time not many people were complaining. we had just signed a goal scoring centre back, one of the best defenders in the league on current form, a man who lead his side out at Wembley a couple of months ago and a man destined for the Premier league as we beat off Wolves to sign him. 

So we're has it all gone wrong? Price tag? Giving him captaincy? - I personally think it all happened too quickly at the start for him but that isn't his fault.  Anybody who was offered the wage he is apparently on and to be the captain of a side like Leicester City obviously isnt going to refuse it. He made a bad start having a mare against Reading and scoring an own goal against Rotherham but I guess you could say he was trying to hard and still settling in. 

In my opinion I think we've looked more solid with Mills in the team. His distribution was awful but defensively I thought he was solid, he would always put his body on the line and get the all important touch or block. We kept 8 clean sheets with him in the team and we've only kept 15 all season. 

I also see a lot of people say he has an 'ego' but from what I've seen I have to disagree. I was the supporters player awards last Tuesday and he was there, had time for all the fans and was appreciative of the compliments people gave him. Surely somebody with an ego would refuse to train with the youth team. 

With regards to his fall out with Pearson does anyone actually know what really happened?  Because there's been no action over this apparent 'headbut'.  If he was moaning that he hasn't been selected does that not show a bit of passion towards the club? Showing he isn't happy just collecting his wages on the bench?  When we asked Mills why he hasn't been selected last Tuesday he told us ' the manager doesn't even speak to me'. 

I agree his red cards have cost us this season but surely the hatred can't be for this alone? So a simple question really .... Why do you hate Matt Mills? 

Don't hate him, but don't think we need him. Genuinely rate St. Ledger / Morgan ahead of him and Bamba offers more as an attacking CB, so he's between a rock and a hard place in all honesty. Add the wages into the mix and you've got to have him on your transfer list.

Thats football for you, i guess.

Well...when he was a sub after the alleged incident I clapped him as he warmed up so I don't hate him.

I would also prefer he was available for selection but at the end of the day, we have to support the manager over a player, otherwise the club would be unmanageable.

One day, the truth will out. Until then we will just have to guess what happened.

Getting thrown into a completely new back 5 didn't really help. He's never had a regular partner (like the rest of the CB's) which I think has caused a lot of problems.

Don't understand why people 'hate' him though. Maybe he has a bit of an attitude problem but depending on what's gone on behind the scenes his relationship with the management might be broken beyond repair. Think he'd do well as part of an actual 'team'.

I don't like him, but I can't really pin it down to anything specific. Playing badly, especially that atrocious performance at home against Reading, the red cards, etc.

There were a lot of rumours as well, that may not be true of course, such as missing training, pulling a sickie to get out of playing for the reserves, celebrating the opposition's goals, the headbutt, saying he's the best player at the club, etc. As I say, that may all be bollocks.

I know this isn't his fault, but he does represent a spectacularly bad move by the club in the transfer market. A massive waste of money. Hate's a strong word, and I don't know what he's really like, but I don't rate him much as a player. I am looking forward to seeing him go. Hope we can get a few quid for him.

I seriously rate him! quality player but had terrible form this season, don't think it matters if he's arrogant and thinks he's the best player in the squad as long as he can lead the team but no one genuinely knows what's happened behind the scenes? if he has done some of the things its rumoured he is not our captain i.e. if its true he was in the reading end and celebrated their goals he needs to go! just a shame it didn't work I guess

Mills was a panic buy by the manager of the time, who paid over the odds for him without considering how he'd fit in with the rest of the side.

Certain other squad members resented him from the start because of the contract he's on.

Although he had a few decent games (Southampton away and Cardiff home spring to mind), he never really looked truly settled. Then came the bust-up with Pearson for reasons we still don't know about and his consequent banishment.

As we found during the Eriksson era, anyone out of favour with the manager will be slaughtered on here (Hobbs, Waghorn, Weale etc), because there are brain-dead elements of our fanbase who believe, despite a massive weight of evidence proving otherwise, that Leicester City managers can no wrong.

But Mills will play Premier football eventually, though not for us.

Don't personally have anything against him. None of us on here know exactly what's happened. Of course everyone can speculate, but until facts are known, I don't know why anyone would "hate" him.

Guest parky0607

because wed spend a significant amount of time working the ball in the oppositions area for Mills to attempt to cross it or hoof it into Row Z. It was like when youre playing in the school playground and some little brat goes and kicks the ball away

Plus he got himself sent off twice in half a season, and gave away a couple of penalties. TBH I dont care what his previous reputation was like - he was doing more harm than good whilst on the field.

He's just another one of 'those' players we sign. Performs brilliantly elsewhere, puts on a City shirts and doesn't quite cut it. We've seen it time and time again, such a shame.

Don't think the amount we paid helps our perception of him. We certainly expected more than we have seen.

I don't. Our defensive record when he's played was much better than what we've had.

Sure he's not played as we'd have like. Most fans have made him a scapegoat because of his transfer fee, when truth be told that had nothing to do with him.

because wed spend a significant amount of time working the ball in the oppositions area for Mills to attempt to cross it or hoof it into Row Z. It was like when youre playing in the school playground and some little brat goes and kicks the ball away

Plus he got himself sent off twice in half a season, and gave away a couple of penalties. TBH I dont care what his previous reputation was like - he was doing more harm than good whilst on the field.

Occupational hazards, as the greatest City captain of the modern era (who equalled the record for League red cards) will readily confirm.

Agree with Bert,but have to say he looked VERY awkward at the supporters bash last week.Stood away form the rest and sprinted out at the end.First to leave by a mile!!!

You can guarantee only the threat of non payment of wages had him in attendance.

After all, he only refused to go to on loan to Leeds because of personal financial penalty.

Agree with Bert,but have to say he looked VERY awkward at the supporters bash last week.Stood away form the rest and sprinted out at the end.First to leave by a mile!!!

The thread starter gave a slightly different account of his behaviour.

But prejudice can be a powerful weapon.

Archived