Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AoWW

'Losing' a long reply you've typed on a forum

I've lost count of the number of times I've typed a long reply on a forum (not always FT!) then accidentally hit the 'back' button on my browser before posting it. Clicking 'forward' then takes you back to the empty 'reply' page and my well-constructed (!) reply has disappeared for ever. :cry:

Is there any way you can retrieve what you've written when this happens? :(

I have a new laptop, well it's old, but new to me, and it has these short-cut keys next to the arrow keys, for back page and forward page, and my fat fingers on this new keyboard keep on hitting these bastard keys when I need to use the arrow keys or shift, and I hear this dreaded click and see the page loading symbol and it is always in the middle of a long well crafted retort. Drives me up the fvcking wall.

I feel your pain, it normally leaves me having to re-write the reply but in a much worse mood, and generally includes more swears, and less actual well crafty replies, I can see that Alanis Morisette has used up all the reserves of irony for today, as I have managed to write this whole thing without accidentally pressing those keys.

There is an autosave feature on FT as it just told me it has autosaved this, but I don't know how to recall it.

It also happens when I've tried to explain why I'm merging a topic I then lose it during the actual merge and sod it they'll have to manage without an explanation.

Mind you there's loads of times when I've written what I think is a logical well thought out response and then thought who am I kidding they're not going to change their minds either that or no one will read it so I think oh bollocks and deliberately click on new posts and lose it.

Nearly did it with this one :P

I have a new laptop, well it's old, but new to me, and it has these short-cut keys next to the arrow keys, for back page and forward page, and my fat fingers on this new keyboard keep on hitting these bastard keys when I need to use the arrow keys or shift, and I hear this dreaded click and see the page loading symbol and it is always in the middle of a long well crafted retort. Drives me up the fvcking wall.

I feel your pain, it normally leaves me having to re-write the reply but in a much worse mood, and generally includes more swears, and less actual well crafty replies, I can see that Alanis Morisette has used up all the reserves of irony for today, as I have managed to write this whole thing without accidentally pressing those keys.

There is an autosave feature on FT as it just told me it has autosaved this, but I don't know how to recall it.

I've lost count of the number of times I've typed a long reply on a forum (not always FT!) then accidentally hit the 'back' button on my browser before posting it. Clicking 'forward' then takes you back to the empty 'reply' page and my well-constructed (!) reply has disappeared for ever. :cry:

Is there any way you can retrieve what you've written when this happens? :(

I feel your pain brother and sister. :city:

If you accidently click back or whatever then go back into the thread and click View auto saved content. Your post is stored in there.

If you accidently click back or whatever then go back into the thread and click View auto saved content. Your post is stored in there.

Useful to know. :)

Is there a way this would work if you were starting a new thread and typing the first post, though?

Useful to know. :)

Is there a way this would work if you were starting a new thread and typing the first post, though?

That should work too. Leave it a few minutes and you'll see that it auto saves too.

Nah, hang on, I don't get it - where is the 'view auto saved content'? :S

How long do you have to wait and where does the View Auto Save appear as I'm getting nothing?

Ah, ok, I get it now. I was getting the auto-saved message after 2 mins but wasn't sure how to then retrieve the content. Have found that you have to go back to the thread and then click in the 'reply to this topic' box at the bottom before you can see the 'view auto saved content option' in the bottom left of the box. Click it and it brings up the option to restore previous content.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys should try it on a phone. Lost count of the number of times i've lost the signal. My phone freezes up when that happens and switches off and you've guessed it, it's always at the end of a long post which I don't bother typing out again. Annoying as hell

Archived