Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Why the obsession with youth*?

What a load of baloney.

If Pearson saw anything much in Vassell he'd keep him on.

As for signing up younger players... Good

They are usually more hungry for success, will fit more neatly into FFP and can sometimes be sold on at a profit.

I'm more than happy with what's gone on, so far, transfer wise.

If Nige is able to now offload Mills and Beckford then I'll be even more satisfied.

What is actually baloney?

I was not referrring specifically to Vassell, just using him as an example

If they are better than what we have... then yes,

The assumption that we can onsell at a profit is not only unlikely..but it why would you want to sell?

I have no complaints with Pearsons signings so far either.

So you dont care whether we replace them with better players... just get rid?

Yes and none of it makes much sense.

Fair enough...explains your answers.

It does make me laugh how a lot of the people on these forums seem to think Pearson is clueless. He's been playing since 1981, and managing since 1998, and still people come on here claiming he knows nothing about football and wouldnt know a good player if it slapped him in the face.I'm sorry people but get a grip, he's far more qualified than anybody on here to be making these decisions so trust in the manager.

He's not going to buy players if he thinks they are shit, end of

Same goes for the players going out as well, he wouldnt be getting rid of them if he thought they could still do a job for us

What is actually baloney?

Some of the posts in this thread.

I was not referrring specifically to Vassell, just using him as an example

So you were referring to him then. A player that most people agreed had something left to offer in the palyers released thread.

If they are better than what we have... then yes,

Do you know they aren't

The assumption that we can onsell at a profit is not only unlikely..but it why would you want to sell?

If it's unlikely they will improve we wouldn't bother buying them. Chester and Stewart have gone up about 10 fold in value in a season, no reason the signings we have made can't either.

Why would you want to sell? Maybe it's a big club and the player wants to go. Maybe we're still in this league and the Thais want to cut back. You're more likely to shift a young lad than a 32 year old on a big two year contract.

I have no complaints with Pearsons signings so far either.

So what is your complaint then? That fans are split about getting back a 34 year old striker who once used to be a legend at the club?

So you dont care whether we replace them with better players... just get rid?

Considering what they have offered us this year it should be relatively easy to improve upon their efforts.

Jury is out as ar as I'm concerned, just gonna have to wait and see how these young hungry players perform,

Could be that come Oct. we will be wishing we had Beckford and Co back, a bit like the Yak. Or as I hope they will be able to play at championship level and we will be sitting on top of the league. If not all you lot will be on their backs same as you are Beckfords and their confidence will be shot to sh1t

Some of the posts in this thread.

So you were referring to him then. A player that most people agreed had something left to offer in the palyers released thread.

Do you know they aren't

If it's unlikely they will improve we wouldn't bother buying them. Chester and Stewart have gone up about 10 fold in value in a season, no reason the signings we have made can't either.

Why would you want to sell? Maybe it's a big club and the player wants to go. Maybe we're still in this league and the Thais want to cut back. You're more likely to shift a young lad than a 32 year old on a big two year contract.

So what is your complaint then? That fans are split about getting back a 34 year old striker who once used to be a legend at the club?

Considering what they have offered us this year it should be relatively easy to improve upon their efforts.

All this.....

I'd have probably put it better myself if I would have bothered but this will do....

lol

It does make me laugh how a lot of the people on these forums seem to think Pearson is clueless. He's been playing since 1981, and managing since 1998, and still people come on here claiming he knows nothing about football and wouldnt know a good player if it slapped him in the face.I'm sorry people but get a grip, he's far more qualified than anybody on here to be making these decisions so trust in the manager.

He's not going to buy players if he thinks they are shit, end of

Same goes for the players going out as well, he wouldnt be getting rid of them if he thought they could still do a job for us

In my world Football Manager would be banned and its ownership punishable by death.

Probably because we've had more success in recent years with a core of young hungry players than we have when going out and signing old ex prem players only going in one career direction.

Perhaps people haven't become legends, but plenty have gone on to be sold for large sums to other teams. When was the last time someone well into their 30's joined a club and became a legend, or went on to be sold for a profit?

How old was Tony Cottee when we signed him from the Far East in 1997 after his West Ham (x2 spells) and Everton days ? Possibly over 30? I don't think we've signed anybody any much older than him who went on to become as good as he did for the following 2-3 seasons. We were then a Prem. side of course who'd comfortably stayed up in 9th the previous season (which had been our first under O'Neill in the Prem) and Cottee slotted right in after a slightly slow start in 1997-98. I will never forget his winner at Champions Man Utd in January 1998! :)

How old was Tony Cottee when we signed him from the Far East in 1997 after his West Ham (x2 spells) and Everton days ? Possibly over 30? I don't think we've signed anybody any much older than him who went on to become as good as he did for the following 2-3 seasons. We were then a Prem. side of course who'd comfortably stayed up in 9th the previous season (which had been our first under O'Neill in the Prem) and Cottee slotted right in after a slightly slow start in 1997-98. I will never forget his winner at Champions Man Utd in January 1998! :)

I don't think anyone is saying don't go out and sign older players. Ian Marshall, Matt Elliott, Cottee as you mention and others have gone on to do well. But that team also had the young talents of Heskey, Lennon, Izzet and Savage who were arguably bigger influences.

A mix of old and young is a nice balance to have.

I think young hungry players are magnificent creatures

We've been warned off making comments like this. Webbo will be all over your arse if you continue to breech thread rules.

I don't think anyone is saying don't go out and sign older players. Ian Marshall, Matt Elliott, Cottee as you mention and others have gone on to do well. But that team also had the young talents of Heskey, Lennon, Izzet and Savage who were arguably bigger influences.

A mix of old and young is a nice balance to have.

Yes, plus we had a managerial team second to none who seemed quintessentially able to mould together such a blend of youth, in betweeners, journeymen and experience during the "O'Neill years". ....with John Robertson and Steve Walford in tow and scouts like ex-fox Jim Melrose in the fold too. We'd never get such a cultured team like we had like that again now I suppose - everyone performing at their very best for their then situations and who were bargain buys and journeymen and supposed "has beens" made good.....Cottee was a shining example of somebody who was past their best but still had his goalscoring prowess in abundance.

In my world Football Manager would be banned and its ownership punishable by death.

I've been on these forums a few years now, and it's just the same every summer. People seem to think someone they've seen play on tv once is a better option than somebody we've been scouting for the past 6 months. People just need to have a bit more faith in our manager and his staff tbh. Everybody wants promotion, including everybody associated with the club, some posters on here make it sound like we just pick players names out of a hat and see if it works. We have a scouting network FFS! they know what they are doing!

we do need SOME experience players not necessarily old players, but players who have been in the champ along time eg whittingham, jem karacan (if that how you spell it) ect.. not old but experienced in getting battling for promotion every season pretty much!

I don't get it

We've signed Marshall, Drinkwater, Morgan De Laet, James & Vardy

That sounds like the ideal mix of young, hungry & energetic where we need it to compliment the experience of Nugent, Danns, Wellens, King Dyer & Gally along with Morgan who has experience again where we need it..

So looking at what NP is doing is that he's building a squad which has mixture, which is what most people would agree is the best way to go. It's not like we're going to have a whole team of 19yo or over 30s is it?

If he's signing younger players it adds to the mix of experience already here & if he needs experience then in Morgan he's shown he'll sign it. It's about the perfect blend. Just like Ramires & Drogba playing huge parts in Chelsea's success (to copy your example) the old & the new.

we do need SOME experience players not necessarily old players, but players who have been in the champ along time eg whittingham, jem karacan (if that how you spell it) ect.. not old but experienced in getting battling for promotion every season pretty much!

I've yet to see, Konch, Nugent both england players, wellens, with his injury not leaving even if you want him too, Big Wes, a pearson signing, leave the club so there are still a few old heads with a fair bit of experience between them.Everyone seems to be talking as if we are about to field an u23 side, kapser has been at man city, leeds and leicester, st ledger has played for, posh, preston, boro and us, king has a few seasons under his belt now.Yes we do seem to be targeting younger players, but vardy for example is not a kid, let's not forget we must have a massive wage bill and if we need to fall in line with FFP we need to be bringing money back into the club as well as reducing costs, i would guess the 3 lads brought in the last week or so will be on less put together than someone like howard was.

As an aside, I can't wait for Thracian to post in this thread.

I've no strong thoughts on the matter. If I were manager I'd want to sign good players whatever their age, to develop some players from within, to sign a few emerging professionals with potential and include some still-motivated experienced players who could perhaps provide the leadership, organisational input and resilience that all teams need.

My greatest concern is that we've not seemed to develop anyone beyond a certain point - either our own Academy graduates or anyone else who comes to the club.

And until that changes, we can sign the best squad in the Championship but it doesn't mean we'll achieve anything.

If I were an owner I'd have a detailed look at the coaching structure at City with a view to making significiant improvements both with our basics (detailed many times in the past) and with regards to individual development and the way we bring young players through at senior level.

Coaching needs to be inventive and inspirational. .

Archived