Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Why the obsession with youth*?

Having watched as Chelski walked (hobbled) away with the Champions League based on its team of mature age, seniors, OAP's, etc causes me to question why we seem to have such a focus on getting "good young players", rather than making use of the experience that is available.

Vassell is (to me) a classic example, he is a quality player with at least one more season in him, he is being let go and we are hoping to replace him with a younger version...all well and good if we can, but is a gamble on youth and potential, better than an experienced "proven" player?..... and lets be honest, if this time next season we are preparing for a season in the Prem league, im guessing 75% of our squad will not be part of those plans.

The concept of getting a good young player and him becoming a club legend is a wonderful thought, but i challenge you to come up with any players who have done that, for us..or for any club that has recently been promoted...or even for a club outside the top 10 in the past 10 years. Football has changed, its a year to year proposition for both clubs and players.

I am not suggesting we shouldnt get good young players with potential...but i dont think we should neccessarily get them ahead of better old players with proven quality.

* People wishing to make hilarious puns about paedophilia etc, please go directly to the pun thread. :thumbup:

Because when we sign young players there's a chance of us seeing them become legends at the club for the next 10+ years (Even if it's unlikely at least there's a chance), and if they flop you're more likely to get decent money back from younger players I guess.

We don't know what players we will sign yet. Pearson here previously and at Hull went for a mixture of young and old players. Just as he's likely to do here as the signing of Morgan showed.

Im not questioning NP's choices, seemingly more on the forum here, are heavily in favour of youth and potential ahead of experience and proven results - see Vassell-Heskey etc.

Because when we sign young players there's a chance of us seeing them become legends at the club for the next 10+ years (Even if it's unlikely at least there's a chance), and if they flop you're more likely to get decent money back from younger players I guess.

Has any player at any club outside the top 10 done this in the Sky era?

Im not questioning NP's choices, seemingly more on the forum here, are heavily in favour of youth and potential ahead of experience and proven results - see Vassell-Heskey etc.

Has any player at any club outside the top 10 done this in the Sky era?

Probably because we've had more success in recent years with a core of young hungry players than we have when going out and signing old ex prem players only going in one career direction.

Perhaps people haven't become legends, but plenty have gone on to be sold for large sums to other teams. When was the last time someone well into their 30's joined a club and became a legend, or went on to be sold for a profit?

Guest ttfn

Having watched as Chelski walked (hobbled) away with the Champions League based on its team of mature age, seniors, OAP's, etc causes me to question why we seem to have such a focus on getting "good young players", rather than making use of the experience that is available.

£££

When was the last time someone well into their 30's joined a club and became a legend?

Powell.

It's just good seeing players come through the youth system, at any club.

True indeed... but If we are to reach the promised land, have we got time and inclination to do it?

Probably because we've had more success in recent years with a core of young hungry players than we have when going out and signing old ex prem players only going in one career direction.

Perhaps people haven't become legends, but plenty have gone on to be sold for large sums to other teams. When was the last time someone well into their 30's joined a club and became a legend, or went on to be sold for a profit?

Do we want legends and cash...or success?

Because with youth you can generally only improve on what you have.

Please explain?

Guest MattP

Please explain?

Generally young players get better with more experience, older players have generally had their best days.

a good mixture of youth/experience is the logistics of promotion just look at whu . i would like to see who these experienced players will be , as only a kevin nolan type player will make me happy .they are hard to come by but league winners . and just like with svens signings last year we have bigged up the 3 signings so far that they must be world beaters ? but we are in hope which can be misleading as with the players last season . they weren't what was being banded . we need a nolan type as it = proven ! a must !

I think considering the financial fair play coming up, and with the huge amount we've already invested in players, it makes sense for Pearson to be signing players like Drinkwater, Marshall, James, De Laet and Vardy.

1. Drive and Hunger to improve and prove themselves

2. Energy

3. Cheap

4. Will make a profit when sold.

As much as people would like to disagree - we are a mid table side and so we can't attract the league's best players. Pearson will sign other older and experienced players this summer, but it'll be on the cheap and maybe frees (Koren), rather than big money moves for players like Whittingham or Snodgrass.

I personally feel we tried to go down this route with Sven. Maybe not 'old', but well established players with 'names' in the world of football. We all know that lead to mixed success as a team. Atleast with youth, Pearson has the chance to mould them into what he wants and its more of an investment for the club as they're likely to be around in 4 or 5 seasons rather than a 32 year old on the way out.

I personally feel we tried to go down this route with Sven. Maybe not 'old', but well established players with 'names' in the world of football. We all know that lead to mixed success as a team. Atleast with youth, Pearson has the chance to mould them into what he wants and its more of an investment for the club as they're likely to be around in 4 or 5 seasons rather than a 32 year old on the way out.

lol irony of your comments vs your sig :thumbup:

I guess what im asking is though... are we happy to accept 4-5 more seasons in the Champ...while they settle, and even then, should we reach the Prem. How many of the squad would be kept on?

If they help us to promotion i dont care if they are 21 or 41, best man for the job is what we need.

I guess what im asking is though... are we happy to accept 4-5 more seasons in the Champ...while they settle, and even then, should we reach the Prem. How many of the squad would be kept on?

Who says signing a few younger players automatically means you don't get promoted? You're talking like it's a fact.

How many of the squad would be kept on, well how about a) we wait to see them play and b) we actually get promoted before worrying about stuff like that.

If they help us to promotion i dont care if they are 21 or 41, best man for the job is what we need.

Does anyone?

Why the obsession with vassell all of a sudden??! He was only here for sven. ! Sack pearson not signed any older players yet! Jesus. The season has been over for about a week! There is still time. Dont hit the panic button just yet!!

What? You are the one bringing up the point about kids being legends.

Did you actually read what ive written or the questions ive posed?

:angry:

I saw you coming... oops

Why the obsession with vassell all of a sudden??! He was only here for sven. ! Sack pearson not signed any older players yet! Jesus. The season has been over for about a week! There is still time. Dont hit the panic button just yet!!

:o No suggestion of sack Pearson.... not obsessed with Vassell, he was just an example... equally could be Heskey...... there was not an ounce of panic.

My question was based on that it appeared to me that the majority of posters here seemed to favour young and unproven and continually were opposed to signing older players

What a load of baloney.

If Pearson saw anything much in Vassell he'd keep him on.

As for signing up younger players... Good

They are usually more hungry for success, will fit more neatly into FFP and can sometimes be sold on at a profit.

I'm more than happy with what's gone on, so far, transfer wise.

If Nige is able to now offload Mills and Beckford then I'll be even more satisfied.

Archived