Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
artursteppe

Look, I know I've said it before, but......................

I do not take joy out of any player being injured, but without Wellens in our team and possibly Gallagher, Dyer and maybe King, we will without any doubt have a much much better season.

I mean this in itself would be great cause to celebrate no matter who we buy!

Pfffft. Gallagher on his day would be a great option from the bench. Dyer again, a great impact sub is needs be. Kingy is quality - you don't have two great seasons and because a poor player overnight. Pearson will get him playing again. As for Wellens - I personally don't think he is that bad. I think he has become one of too many scapegoats for a underwhelming season. He will be here next season, but I believe we have better options in Drinkwater, Danns, James and King to play in the centre of midfield.

"Getting rid" is going to leave us extremely thin on the ground.

The fact that people are still talking about the likes of Wellens, Kingy, and especially Gally as players who may well feature quite a bit next season shows me three things:

Again, just what a bollox of the whole thing that Sven made by not signing REAL improvements to the squad when he effectively had carte blanche to do so. Especially in that midfield area.

Secondly, that in terms of playing personnel, we really have not yet moved on much since Pearson was last in charge.. In fact we've gone backwards it could be argued.

Thirdly, that Artur Askey is still bleating on about Wellens......

I have nothing against Pearsons old guard, but look, it's a sad indictment on the club to even be considering Andy King as. 'quality' or Gally as 'an impact sub'... I think it's such a shame, given the time and the resources at hand, that this squad has not yet become considerably stronger than it has.

Wellens, Gally, King? None of them 'bad footballers' but Christ, we should have better than any of them at the club by now.

IMO.

Why would Sven have replaced King when he was the best player in his reign?

Sven did try to replace King, then found out he'd replaced him with no better, so continued to play him, albeit at the top of the diamond. That's my point....... Same with Wellens

If you consider King is consistently good enough to get this team promoted then that's your prerogative.

Personally, given the money Sven had, a far more talented squad of players could have been assembled, especially in the midfield area.

In many ways I think we look no better now than we did when Pearson left last time.

And if we kick off next season with King and Gallly in the starting eleven, the circle will be complete.

Sven did try to replace King, then found out he'd replaced him with no better, so continued to play him, albeit at the top of the diamond. That's my point....... Same with Wellens

If you consider King is consistently good enough to get this team promoted then that's your prerogative.

Personally, given the money Sven had, a far more talented squad of players could have been assembled, especially in the midfield area.

In many ways I think we look no better now than we did when Pearson left last time.

And if we kick off next season with King and Gallly in the starting eleven, the circle will be complete.

He might not be good enough for promotion, but I can see why Sven looked to keep him, even though you say he tried to replace him.

Sven signed Fernandes, who was an international player, and Johnson, who was a promising youngster. Sven obviously thought he'd be here longer and did try to change things.

He might not be good enough for promotion, but I can see why Sven looked to keep him, even though you say he tried to replace him.

Sven signed Fernandes, who was an international player, and Johnson, who was a promising youngster. Sven obviously thought he'd be here longer and did try to change things.

And then continued to play Wellens and King..........

Fat Johnno was a ridiculous signing, Gelson was ok, Danns looked poor under Sven.

Sven had the funds to build a MUCH better midfield. One with both steel and creativity. But what did he do? He went out and signed players that were no better than what we had already.

I'm hoping that Pearsons midfield signings are going to prove to be BETTER than the likes of King, Gally and Wellens, because that's what Sven should have done. He didn't, and he paid for it.

And then continued to play Wellens and King..........

Fat Johnno was a ridiculous signing, Gelson was ok, Danns looked poor under Sven.

Sven had the funds to build a MUCH better midfield. One with both steel and creativity. But what did he do? He went out and signed players that were no better than what we had already.

I'm hoping that Pearsons midfield signings are going to prove to be BETTER than the likes of King, Gally and Wellens, because that's what Sven should have done. He didn't, and he paid for it.

Yes, he continued to play them, King especially because he'd done well for him in his first season.

He wanted to change the formation, which was ill-advised eventually, but I think Danns was signed to replace Wellens, pushing him forward with King and Fernandes sitting.

I'm not ignoring what you're saying, I don't think you're taking into account that Sven expected to last beyond October, where Fernandes would play every week and Johnson, although turned out to be a crap signing, was a promising one when he signed. So I do believe those players would've been moved on, Wellens in particular, as I've outlined.

The fact that people are still talking about the likes of Wellens, Kingy, and especially Gally as players who may well feature quite a bit next season shows me three things:

Again, just what a bollox of the whole thing that Sven made by not signing REAL improvements to the squad when he effectively had carte blanche to do so. Especially in that midfield area.

Secondly, that in terms of playing personnel, we really have not yet moved on much since Pearson was last in charge.. In fact we've gone backwards it could be argued.

I have nothing against Pearsons old guard, but look, it's a sad indictment on the club to even be considering Andy King as. 'quality' or Gally as 'an impact sub'... I think it's such a shame, given the time and the resources at hand, that this squad has not yet become considerably stronger than it has.

Wellens, Gally, King? None of them 'bad footballers' but Christ, we should have better than any of them at the club by now.

IMO.

IMO.

Col, I'm quite impressed. You could knock me over with a feather. Some of your recent posts have actually been quite insightful. Looking forward to your next. Keep up the good work.

Yes, he continued to play them, King especially because he'd done well for him in his first season.

He wanted to change the formation, which was ill-advised eventually, but I think Danns was signed to replace Wellens, pushing him forward with King and Fernandes sitting.

I'm not ignoring what you're saying, I don't think you're taking into account that Sven expected to last beyond October, where Fernandes would play every week and Johnson, although turned out to be a crap signing, was a promising one when he signed. So I do believe those players would've been moved on, Wellens in particular, as I've outlined.

Gelson was at best average.. Just because he was an 'international' player it doesn't automatically make him a great one does it?

Paul McShane is an international player for The Republic of Ireland.. Have you seen him play? lol

No, Sven could have signed a much stronger midfield than he did and simply failed to do so. This, more than anything else, was his major undoing IMO.

Tactically I agree, he was suspect. But the personnel he brought in were not so much better than what we had already that they were really gonna kick us on to the next level.

When I said in many ways we even went backwards somewhat was in the sale of Hobbs, to replace him with Mills and by signing no other wingers. The team was crying out for width and pace and it simply never came.

I still hope that Pearson gets that nippy right winger that so many of us have felt would add something to the pace in the team, thus enabling us to counter attack when away from home.

Sven didn't address the central midfield area sufficiently. I'm clear in my mind on that one.

Col, I'm quite impressed. You could knock me over with a feather. Some of your recent posts have actually been quite insightful. Looking forward to your next. Keep up the good work.

Cheers Artur Askey!!

Personally I still think you continue to post some guff...

:P

2/3 seasons and it still hasn't worked out, I think its time for a change the are just not good enough ( Wellens, Gallagher ) Dyer is OK as an impact sub. and King well he is capable of producing good performances and can score but does go missing a hell of a lot in games but I would still keep him the others get rid, there not even bench material.

Gelson was at best average.. Just because he was an 'international' player it doesn't automatically make him a great one does it?

Paul McShane is an international player for The Republic of Ireland.. Have you seen him play? lol

No, Sven could have signed a much stronger midfield than he did and simply failed to do so. This, more than anything else, was his major undoing IMO.

Did I say it made him a great player? No. Fernandes has also played for good clubs around Europe so why Paul McShane is brought up I don't know.

Fernandes might well have been a better player than the ones we currently have, the ones you say Sven should've replaced.

Anyway, we're going round in circles. I'd get rid of Wellens, sell Gallagher and keep King, in possibly more of an impact sub role.

Whoareyaaa, could not agree more Wellens ang Gallagher are def not good enough, the 1st passes either sideways or backwards, wont shoot when the chance arises, dithers on the ball untill put under pressure and loses the ball, or is hurried into yet another wayward pass.The other, won't tackle, track back, or make any real effort on any front, and one thing is for sure, he will def not win many headers,time to move on me thinks.

Im not sure about 3 of the players mentioned in the original post being poor, i think King and Dyer have something to offer, but the 2 ive mentioned above, mmm, thanks but no thanks.........

:thumbup:

I do not take joy out of any player being injured, but without Wellens in our team and possibly Gallagher, Dyer and maybe King, we will without any doubt have a much much better season.

What a ****.

After we let him go, he had 12 appearances for Udinese (came 3rd in serie A) in half a season. I'm sure he was good enough for us, had he been used correctly. Had an amazing debut, but Sven playing him on the wing so that Wellens could play as the holding player probably didn't make him look good.

After we let him go, he had 12 appearances for Udinese (came 3rd in serie A) in half a season. I'm sure he was good enough for us, had he been used correctly. Had an amazing debut, but Sven playing him on the wing so that Wellens could play as the holding player probably didn't make him look good.

To be fair you could be right.

How Sven played him may have been the problem.

Wasn't he playing for Udinese alongside Asamoah? Who I think has just gone to Juventus... Very good player

Again though, you sort of make my point for me really... Sven moved Gelson wide to accommodate Wellens, rather than signing a very good central midfielder to replace Wellens.

Thereby implying that even Sven considered Wellens to be the best player in that role.

To be fair you could be right.

How Sven played him may have been the problem.

Wasn't he playing for Udinese alongside Asamoah? Who I think has just gone to Juventus... Very good player

Again though, you sort of make my point for me really... Sven moved Gelson wide to accommodate Wellens, rather than signing a very good central midfielder to replace Wellens.

Thereby implying that even Sven considered Wellens to be the best player in that role.

Possibly. Sven has been known to make silly mistakes like that - after all, he did the same thing to Paul scholes, trying to play him on the wing to accomodate Lampard and Gerrard. It's a typical Sven strategy of trying to fit all the best players into a team, regardless of the positions they play. I'm guessing it was a case of him trying to shoe-horn both Wellens and Gelson into the team even though they both played in the same position, and figuring that Gelson would be better suited to playing on the wing then Wellens.

I did like Sven, but he did make some strange decisions sometimes. I do think Gelson could have been great for us but he was clearly only interested in Sven anyway, so not particularly bothered.

IMO.

This . . . . . . .

Gallagher, King and Dyer are all squad players in my opinion, nothing more. And these in particular wouldn't start for me, I doubt Gallagher would even make my squad.

Both Gallagher and Dyer are limited, inconsistant and not good enough. Dyer maybe better for the bench because of his pace and ability to beat players. King is slow and tires easy, and from what I've seen isn't better than Danns or Drinkwater, with James obviously in the team potentially as well.

Still need a winger in my opinion, a good left winger.

Archived