Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The Midfield

maybe Vardy has been brought in to play on the wing cant imagine us droping Beckford or Nugent for him so it could well be:

RM/W: Marshall CDM: Danns CAM: King LM/W:Vardy

I was just about to say that. Vardy is an option on the wing. I really don't expect Beckford to still be here for the new season, though. I certainly can see us dropping Beckford for Vardy, by the way. I think that might be why we signed him.

With the squad as it is right now, I'd go 4-3-3, with any of Danns, King, Wellens, Drinkwater, or James in midfield, and Vardy, Nugent and Marshall up front. If we want to go for 4-4-2, I think we need another true wide midfielder/winger, and a striker who can hold up the ball.

Looks like we will need a centre-half or two, and maybe a full back or two depending on whether Konchesky and Peltier leave.

Good friend of mine who played with de laet an James at United until two years ago told me how good James is. Said if he hadn't got injured two years ago he would be close to the united first team and was seriously talked about.

Said he was their best player throughout that academy year and was considered a better prospect than Cleverley, so if we can get him 100% fit I'm looking forward to him hopefully being a quality signing.

maybe Vardy has been brought in to play on the wing cant imagine us droping Beckford or Nugent for him so it could well be:

RM/W: Marshall CDM: Danns CAM: King LM/W:Vardy

I don't agree with Danns being a CDM. He's been far more explosive and generally better when he's been an attacking player.

Nige prefers a flat 4-4-2 rather than the 4-1-2-1-2 than what you're suggesting.

Ps. don't get me wrong, I prefer 4-1-2-1-2 than a flat 4-4-2 but I guess that's what big Nige prefers.

i reallly do think some people on here think players that stick a city shirt on automatically turns them into quality players or must mean they're quality . our team at the moment isnt better than most of the teams in the championship .thats our midfield ,our forwards and defenders . our goalie imo is one of the best in the league. i like our players , i like watching them ,i have faith in them most of the time , but in pure reality, if we think we have good players , so have 15/20 other teams in our league and rightly so . i thought we were a 9th placed team last season (i said midtable),its what we deserved , this season is too hard to call , i just dont know , its that open . we really do need signings before pre-season tho , that is a fact .

I was just about to say that. Vardy is an option on the wing. I really don't expect Beckford to still be here for the new season, though. I certainly can see us dropping Beckford for Vardy, by the way. I think that might be why we signed him.

With the squad as it is right now, I'd go 4-3-3, with any of Danns, King, Wellens, Drinkwater, or James in midfield, and Vardy, Nugent and Marshall up front. If we want to go for 4-4-2, I think we need another true wide midfielder/winger, and a striker who can hold up the ball.

Looks like we will need a centre-half or two, and maybe a full back or two depending on whether Konchesky and Peltier leave.

Vardy seems to be an out and out striker that only crop up once in a blue moon, cottee etc. be mad to mess about with his position.

Jimmy Quinn was signed years ago, went from the highest goal scorer to a flop basically because he had to adapt to allow Newell to play

i reallly do think some people on here think players that stick a city shirt on automatically turns them into quality players or must mean they're quality . our team at the moment isnt better than most of the teams in the championship .thats our midfield ,our forwards and defenders . our goalie imo is one of the best in the league. i like our players , i like watching them ,i have faith in them most of the time , but in pure reality, if we think we have good players , so have 15/20 other teams in our league and rightly so . i thought we were a 9th placed team last season (i said midtable),its what we deserved , this season is too hard to call , i just dont know , its that open . we really do need signings before pre-season tho , that is a fact .

Please can you type normally?

We have a good squad compared to a lot of teams in the championship... on paper. I'd say only the teams who finished above us last season have a better team than us.

Please can you type normally?

We have a good squad compared to a lot of teams in the championship... on paper. I'd say only the teams who finished above us last season have a better team than us.

The typing is aggravating.. I do agree.

However, I said last season and nothing has happened much to change it yet IMO..... We DO simply have quite an average squad of players.

This whole, 'on paper' argument sort of disappeared when I started to watch some of our players last season, week in week out.

Mills was lauded to a fanfare of 'the New Walsh'! Look how that turned out....

Beckford was going to be the 'twenty league goal a season striker', then finally got half of what Fatty Fryatt got....

Peltier was 'the new Kyle Naughton!.... Now most on here think he's actually pants.

Bolt onto that SSL, Wellens, King, Gally....

All good players at this level 'on paper'... In reality only average players, in terms of inconsistency of performance.

I am more optimistic with Morgan, Drinky and Marshall... The 'newbies' if I'm honest I know little about.

I think Pearson has his work cut out actually.

Footy is a funny old game, sure, but I wouldn't fancy the squad we have now going away to say 'Wolves', if they still have the likes of Fletcher, Jarvis, Johnson and Hennessy in their side....

Work to do I think....

The typing is aggravating.. I do agree.

However, I said last season and nothing has happened much to change it yet IMO..... We DO simply have quite an average squad of players.

This whole, 'on paper' argument sort of disappeared when I started to watch some of our players last season, week in week out.

Mills was lauded to a fanfare of 'the New Walsh'! Look how that turned out....

Beckford was going to be the 'twenty league goal a season striker', then finally got half of what Fatty Fryatt got....

Peltier was 'the new Kyle Naughton!.... Now most on here think he's actually pants.

Bolt onto that SSL, Wellens, King, Gally....

All good players at this level 'on paper'... In reality only average players, in terms of inconsistency of performance.

I am more optimistic with Morgan, Drinky and Marshall... The 'newbies' if I'm honest I know little about.

I think Pearson has his work cut out actually.

Footy is a funny old game, sure, but I wouldn't fancy the squad we have now going away to say 'Wolves', if they still have the likes of Fletcher, Jarvis, Johnson and Hennessy in their side....

Work to do I think....

Of course the relegated sides have better teams than us,

But a team of the likes of

Schmeichel

Rdl morgan st ledger konchesky

Marshall James Danns Dyer

Nugent Beckford

Is still better than a lot of teams in this league, ie Forest, Burnley etc...

Yeah and I'd agree nothing has happened yet, we need a new CB, because we are thin on the ground in that department, and because I think a partnership of Morgan and Ssl is not good enough to get us out of this league.

We also need 2 new wingers, i'd consider suicide if Dyer was a first team starter next season.

And I also think we need a target man, we scored so little headed goals last season, and the lack of ariel threat up front caused too much pressure on the midfield and defence as balls were just not sticking there.

Of course the relegated sides have better teams than us,

The relegated sides may have HAD better teams, but will they still have when Premier clubs have stripped them of their best players? Most relegated clubs don't go straight back up, fact. Furthermore, some may have serious morale problems - like Wolves, to judge from the end of last season.

NP seems to like width and to prefer 4-4-2, but be flexible enough to use 4-3-3. Have we yet got a convincing midfield 4, capable of dominating games, though? A.N.Other-Drinkwater/James-Danns-Marshall looks closest to me. Dyer is a good bench player, to me, perhaps the same for Gallagher (though his ego might not stand it). Wellens isn't mobile enough for 4-4-2, so then you end up with the spectacle of Nugent knackering himself, chasing back too much to bolster midfield, like last season. Don't know where this all leaves King, who's probably best in a 4-5-1.

NP's signings suggests his priorities are a secure, no-nonsense defence, no defensive midfielder and energetic, mobile midfield with width. Apparently, De Laet is very quick at full back; if so, that provides a new angle, after the likes of Nielsen, Morrison and even Berner under NP before....could argue for a more attacking role for Marshall...need improvement on the left, though; I like Lloyd & his attitude but not sure he's a 40-game, promotion season man, more like squad contributor...

The relegated sides may have HAD better teams, but will they still have when Premier clubs have stripped them of their best players? Most relegated clubs don't go straight back up, fact. Furthermore, some may have serious morale problems - like Wolves, to judge from the end of last season.

NP seems to like width and to prefer 4-4-2, but be flexible enough to use 4-3-3. Have we yet got a convincing midfield 4, capable of dominating games, though? A.N.Other-Drinkwater/James-Danns-Marshall looks closest to me. Dyer is a good bench player, to me, perhaps the same for Gallagher (though his ego might not stand it). Wellens isn't mobile enough for 4-4-2, so then you end up with the spectacle of Nugent knackering himself, chasing back too much to bolster midfield, like last season. Don't know where this all leaves King, who's probably best in a 4-5-1.

NP's signings suggests his priorities are a secure, no-nonsense defence, no defensive midfielder and energetic, mobile midfield with width. Apparently, De Laet is very quick at full back; if so, that provides a new angle, after the likes of Nielsen, Morrison and even Berner under NP before....could argue for a more attacking role for Marshall...need improvement on the left, though; I like Lloyd & his attitude but not sure he's a 40-game, promotion season man, more like squad contributor...

I don't really get this argument.

Even if the relegated clubs do need to offload some of their 'bigger players' for various reasons, they are not going to let them go for free (unless their contracts have expired).

They will get money for them which they can then use to go out and sign good players to bolster their squads in the necessary positions. Exactly like Blackburn have just done with Murphy.

Add to this the parachute payments that such clubs receive and this will put them in a stronger position vis a vis the other Championship clubs.

Finally, you say that it's a 'fact' that the relegated clubs don't go on to gain promotion in the following season or so, is this really true?

West Brom for example, came down and went up for two seasons on the bounce I think (hence Baggies 'boing boing').

West Ham have just gone up with Brum in the play offs.

The teams that get relegated from the Prem don't usually stay down in the Championship for too long, on average, although there are exceptions of course.

To not consider Bolton, Wolves and, to a lesser extent, Blackburn as real title contenders for the forthcoming season will be folly IMO.

As we don't have a 'stopper' type of the quality of parker, or a playmaker anywhere near as good as gerrard, it would make much more sense to use a 3-man midfield with a stopper, a playmaker, and a box-to-box. This way, we can have a much more balanced, fluid side with willing midfield runners, rather than two static strikers and two static central midfielders who can't afford to get forward because they can't trust one another to close down/chase opposition midfielders and also sit and protect the defence ON THEIR OWN. We will struggle to take control of games with 4-4-2, and end up leaving them very open and down to individual battles.

As we don't have a 'stopper' type of the quality of parker, or a playmaker anywhere near as good as gerrard, it would make much more sense to use a 3-man midfield with a stopper, a playmaker, and a box-to-box. This way, we can have a much more balanced, fluid side with willing midfield runners, rather than two static strikers and two static central midfielders who can't afford to get forward because they can't trust one another to close down/chase opposition midfielders and also sit and protect the defence ON THEIR OWN. We will struggle to take control of games with 4-4-2, and end up leaving them very open and down to individual battles.

I agree.

I think he meant Scott.

Yeah probably, was talking about that era LCFC team elsewhere so had him on the brain...

wouldn't really class Scott Parker as a stopper either, Makelele was a stopper Parker to me is a beter version of Savage, puts himself about wins tackles but can play abit too

• 2 weeks later...

I think that we must build our midfield around Danns this season. If he starts in the middle every week with his bite, buzz and energy we will go far. The midfield can also be flexible then too whether we play 4 across the middle or 5 (imo, one would involve Marshall on the wing, the other with Marshall in the hole). For me, we are lacking a sitting midfielder. Whether perhaps this is the time for Wellens, with him not getting any younger, to just sit deeper this season and screen the back four then so be it.

I'd love to see a midfield of:

Wellens (DM)

Danns (box to box)

Vardy - Marshall - Dyer/Nugent

Obviously it all depends on balance throughout the team but I think that could be a dangerous attacking force with Beckford/Nugent up top.

I'd love to see a midfield of

Danns Drinkwater James and Marshall

I'd also love Koren here too so that we can play 5 in midfield

Andy King and Richie Wellens, when fit, will have to force their way into the team

I'd love to see a midfield of

Danns Drinkwater James and Marshall

I'd also love Koren here too so that we can play 5 in midfield

Andy King and Richie Wellens, when fit, will have to force their way into the team

We tried Danns on the right and he was poor, I think he is the best CM at the club.

Archived