Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The Midfield

Thinking about it, its of no surprise to me that England have done pretty well so far in the Euros.

They are well-organised, know what their roles are and appear to have generated a team-spirit that was maybe not there under Capello.

However, one big difference that I think the manager has made is in the midfield.

There is now a 'playmaker' and a 'stopper'....

The fact that Parker is in the team, chasing down loose balls, throwing his body in the way of shots and neatly 'mopping-up' has given Gerrard the license to play his natural, creative game. This has resulted in Gerrard becoming one of the players of the tournament so far and IMO he has been the best I've seen him in an England shirt.

Added to this is width on either flank...Parker wins the ball, gives it to Gerrard who, in turn, lays it out to Young or Milner/Walcott to get the ball in to the front men. Thus, we can counter-attack with some pace.

How do people think that Nige is going to play the midfield next season?

Will there be an obvious 'stopper' and 'playmaker' or are both central midfielders going to be 'box-to-box'.

Will there be much width in the team? If so, who?

Who do think will start in the midfield and why (given the current personnel at the club).

Do we need anyone else?

Opinions please......

Newwinger James Danns Marshall IMO.

Maybe if Nige goes 4-3-3 then I'd go for

Drinkwater - James - Danns

Would like us to sign a stopper aswell as none of our current crop play in that role.

without any 1st hand knowledge of James I'd imagine it'd be

Marshall Danns Drinkwater New Winger

Maybe King in for Drinkwater, King could easily sit more for NP like he did during his 1st stint and have Danns given more licence, a new left winger is essential though as Dyer simply doesn't cut it often enough

It's not all roses, Young is very ineffective out left & it's only the brilliance of Cole at LB which is stopping us looking exposed down that side.

Great choice by Hodgson to persist with Milner... With the woeful Johnson at RB, Milner is able to press well & provide him with cover, that wouldn't be the same if Walcott or AOC were out there.

Hodgson has fostered a great spirit which has enabled us to progress better than our play has deserved, this is something I expect to see from Nige in the new season once some of the bad eggs etc have been moved on.

Since Nige arrived our best performing midfield had Danns & Wellens in the middle & Danns stupid suspension & Wellens injury prevented our mini-revival from continuing

Danns was the box to box player & it free'd Wellens up to play in the opposing half where he does his best work, as he's not great on the edge of our own box.

Wellens injury leaves us with a problem, I'm not convinced by Drinkwater just yet as a player to challenge for top of the table

NP obviously wants Stewart so I expect us to get a new winger, as to who the midfield duo is... I don't know.

Thinking about it, its of no surprise to me that England have done pretty well so far in the Euros.

They are well-organised, know what their roles are and appear to have generated a team-spirit that was maybe not there under Capello.

However, one big difference that I think the manager has made is in the midfield.

There is now a 'playmaker' and a 'stopper'....

The fact that Parker is in the team, chasing down loose balls, throwing his body in the way of shots and neatly 'mopping-up' has given Gerrard the license to play his natural, creative game. This has resulted in Gerrard becoming one of the players of the tournament so far and IMO he has been the best I've seen him in an England shirt.

Added to this is width on either flank...Parker wins the ball, gives it to Gerrard who, in turn, lays it out to Young or Milner/Walcott to get the ball in to the front men. Thus, we can counter-attack with some pace.

How do people think that Nige is going to play the midfield next season?

Will there be an obvious 'stopper' and 'playmaker' or are both central midfielders going to be 'box-to-box'.

Will there be much width in the team? If so, who?

Who do think will start in the midfield and why (given the current personnel at the club).

Do we need anyone else?

Opinions please......

Good post, glad to see other people have noticed it. I do think we need a stopper..although it is hard to find that player even though it is more of a basic job in position terms.

Fed up with these type of articles, but this is actually interesting rather than most others.

Think Pearson has options and I wouldn't rule out any more signings in midfield either.

4-3-3 is highly possible, but it doesn't seem to work with Leicester. In that formation with the players we have at the minute I would start Danns - King - James

Normal 4-4-2 could be better, Marshall on the wing with hopefully a new winger on the other flank, then Danns in the centre with somebody.

But I prefer the diamond formation, a couple of times when it was played at home we looked fresh and damn right better. Think playing Marshall in a central role works better, he seems more suited there and when played in that position we saw some great moments towards the end of last season.

Would love a 4-4-2 diamond formation, with maybe someone coming in as a defensive midfielder, Danns with James or King with Marshall in the attacking role.

Said it before im not a fan of Drinkwater, didn't think we needed James but we will see how he goes, King needs to make an impact from the get go or he could be out the door in a season or two.

There will be games where we need a stopper and games where we don't. We just need to have as many tactical options as we can so i'd like to see one brought in. I think we'll need another winger as the only cover is Gallagher and he just isn't a winger. With the currently available players I think it would be Marshall, Drinkwater, James, Dyer

Well, if it's a flat 4-4-2 then we need a new left winger because Dyer isn't good enough, in my opinion. Has the pace, which is a useful attribute when used, but other than that he is limited.

King hasn't got the pace or energy for midfield in my opinion, and that's why I'd like to see something like Marshall -- Drinkwater/James -- Danns -- (new left winger)

Think It'll be Marshall Danns King James

I saw he could play on the left?

A midfielder on the left... Sven did that last season... Went really well. If we want to get out of this division we shouldn't be playing centre mids on the wing ffs.

A midfielder on the left... Sven did that last season... Went really well. If we want to get out of this division we shouldn't be playing centre mids on the wing ffs.

chill your beans, I said I saw he could play there? Don't jump on the band wagon all the time

chill your beans, I said I saw he could play there? Don't jump on the band wagon all the time

What band wagon?

And why would Pearson start a cm on the left wing, you said yourself 'i think itll be...'

I think we are going to play 4-4-2 it is Pearson's way and the only reason we deviated from it a few times last season is because he didn't have the players playing in the way he wanted.

I think that will be his priority get a functioning plan A: 4-4-2 solid at the back and in the middle hard to beat, priority number 1, not exciting but then he isn't.

I think he will sign a centre back to partner Morgan, I don't think he is convinced by SSL and wants to create a solid base at the back, thus allowing 2 mobile high energy centre mids, both capable of winning the ball and both capable of getting forwards, which is why I think he will go with Danns and King (if he can rediscover his form) I don't much about James, but I think like Drinkwater, he will start on the fringes and come in to the team later on depending on how we get on.

Right now he will hopefully know what his best team is, and that is why he is letting people go, and what he needs to strengthen, I don't expect many more signings, Left Winger a centre back and maybe a full back, depends if he thinks Kennedy, Moore, De Laet is sufficient. I would also expect one of our forwards to leave, maybe Schlupp on loan as suggested on another thread.

With the players we have at the moment I would go 4-3-3 with Danns, James and King in midfield, Marshall and Vardy on the wings and Nugent down the middle, If Nige is planning on playing 4-4-2 he needs to sign at least 2 more out and out wingers as at the moment we only have Marshall who is good enough.

Ben Marshall can play a pivotal role at LWM and his goals against Doncaster and Chelsea came from cutting in from the left mid. I reckon it'll be

Right Winger (Alan Judge) - Drinkwater - Danns - Marshall OR

Drinkwater - James - Danns

Archived