Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Will we be ready?

With the Season only 2 weeks away, Im a little concerned at our low key/low stress build up, our friendlies have all been against lesser (lower league) opposition. I thought that friendlies were used to build and gel a team... to expose weaknesses and help plan for what is sure to be a very tough season. (granted we will have Sunderland but thats it for real competition)

Playing against 3rd and 4th division and non league teams isnt really going to stretch our playing and coaching staff and expose the gaps is it?

Starting this thread is obviously a gamble, if we get away to a flyer and are unbeaten in the first half a dozen games, ill will come back in here and admit that the Manager had it right.

BUT... right now.... this is not how i would prepare my team for the season ahead!

your thoughts, are you happy with the preparation so far?

I'm ok with it. I always knew we were in for lower league friendlies. I cannot see Pearson being the type of manager that will want Real Madrid visiting in a friendly.

I can't see how this is a problem. As you said, friendlies are supposed to 'build and gel the team' and I can't see how getting beat by Real Madrid, Arsenal and Ajax (for example) would help it... I think playing lower league teams is the safest option for the side to gel. The other side of things is that you don't know how good/bad we are.. Sunderland will be the test, as they are a better team with better players, hence their place in the top flight. No disrespect to the likes of Lincoln and Shrewsbury intended, but they don't have the quality Sunderland have.

I think this year's friendlies have been similar to when Pearson was here last. I recall us visiting lower league, and local teams before the League One season and the following Championship season. Didn't seem to be a problem then. Regardless of the opposition, remember that the team gelling and fitness is key.

Most managers arrange small-scale pre-season friendlies. Little did it and O'Neill did it after him.

The oddity was last season's jaunt against Real Madrid and these strange continental tournaments we played in.

I'm glad we are back to normal and I'm certain Pearson will have the players straining on the leash to play for real.

I'm ok with it. I always knew we were in for lower league friendlies. I cannot see Pearson being the type of manager that will want Real Madrid visiting in a friendly.

I can't see how this is a problem. As you said, friendlies are supposed to 'build and gel the team' and I can't see how getting beat by Real Madrid, Arsenal and Ajax (for example) would help it... I think playing lower league teams is the safest option for the side to gel. The other side of things is that you don't know how good/bad we are.. Sunderland will be the test, as they are a better team with better players, hence their place in the top flight. No disrespect to the likes of Lincoln and Shrewsbury intended, but they don't have the quality Sunderland have.

I think this year's friendlies have been similar to when Pearson was here last. I recall us visiting lower league, and local teams before the League One season and the following Championship season. Didn't seem to be a problem then. Regardless of the opposition, remember that the team gelling and fitness is key.

Don't get me wrong mate.

I'd much rather have Pearsons softly softly gradually build up approach that the 'Sven/Thai Extravaganza'.

However, I didn't see many people on here complaining last year when the friendly against Real Madrid was 'coming to town'.

Quite the opposite in fact.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I think Nige has pitched the final friendly at about exactly the right level.

I'll be going down to see, for the first time, some of the new signings.

Looking forward to it.

Don't get me wrong mate.

I'd much rather have Pearsons softly softly gradually build up approach that the 'Sven/Thai Extravaganza'.

However, I didn't see many people on here complaining last year when the friendly against Real Madrid was 'coming to town'.

Are we not allowed to use hindsight then?

Personally I think playing, so called, weaker sides is actually a benefit when trying to integrate new players into a side. Take Vardy for example, it is hard for him to get an understanding with Nugent if we struggle to get hold of the ball and spend most of the game defending as we might playing some Prem sides. Sunderland provide a different test for a bit of balance. Playing foreign teams is playing a completely different style (usually) to that which we will face in the Championship so lower league English sides makes sense for me.

I'm quite pleased with the squad and hope we will see a more organised and determined team that we have for the past two seasons. :scarf:

Don't get me wrong mate.

I think Nige has pitched the final friendly at about exactly the right level.

I'll be going down to see, for the first time, some of the new signings.

Looking forward to it.

I know where you're coming from, and I agree that everyone loved Real Madrid visiting the King Power. Was just like in 2003 when we played Barcelona the buzz of seeing some of the greatest players was here. Pleased that I went to both of these fixtures. I would like to have seen a lower league opposition finish the pre-season though, just incase we loose to Sunderland, although I cannot see it being a massive issue. It will be a good test to see if we are good enough to compete against quality teams. Should be good for the fans to see the new players and all that, but I'll not be going to the Sunderland game, I'll just wait for the league to start.

Are we not allowed to use hindsight then?

I think it's used excessively to make an argument.

Let me ask you this, do you think many people would complain if the last pre season friendly this year was at home against Man Utd, or Barcelona, or AC Milan? And was being hyped up in the same way as last pre season?

Just because Pearson wouldn't do such a thing doesn't make it unappealing to the majority and wouldn't make such an event 'stupid'. It would also probably fill the stadium and make revenue.

People are happy with the Pearson way, and so am I, but to look back at last season and to say that the Real Madrid game shouldn't have happened.. If you thought that then, say it then.

Let me ask you this, do you think many people would complain if the last pre season friendly this year was at home against Man Utd, or Barcelona, or AC Milan? And was being hyped up in the same way as last pre season?

Just because Pearson wouldn't do such a thing doesn't make it unappealing to the majority and wouldn't make such an event 'stupid'. It would also probably fill the stadium and make revenue.

People are happy with the Pearson way, and so am I, but to look back at last season and to say that the Real Madrid game shouldn't have happened.. If you thought that then, say it then.

I didn't say that, although I think spending £1,000,000 to get it probably wasn't that sensible. You're right you probably wouldn't find people complaining, all I'm trying to say is that we were no better for it last year, so there is no need to worry that we haven't had a high profile match in pre-season. I'm not saying that we failed last year because of the Madrid friendly, I'm not saying that it shouldn't have happened, I'm just saying that we shouldn't be worrying that we aren't playing friendlies like that because previously we did well following this type of pre-season.

There was nothing wrong with playing Real Madrid last season, if you are using it as an excuse for our poor season well that is just plain stupidity.

Now in answer to the question will we be ready?

Lets bloody hope so both mentally so that air of complacency the players may have had goes away because every single side in the division is hard to beat.

Away from home I hope we play a more pressing game i.e Southampton away last season that should be the benchmark performance to aspire to.

I thought Madrid game was great introduced a load of folk to the stadium.As for the cost Im pretty sure the club made tidy profit out of that overall.

As for the season who knows but we need plans b and c ie.much more aware and able to react during the game and for goodness sake some decent planned set peices.

I think we all know enough about Pearson now to know that, come the first game, we will be solid and hard to beat. I think we have enough going forward this season aswell, with Nugent, Beckford, Vardy. Marshall and Knockaert the main danger men.

My team for Posh:

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

Whitbread

Konchesky

Danns

Drinkwater

Marshall

Vardy

Knockaert

Nugent

Subs: Logan, Moore, Gerrard?, King, James, Beckford, Schlupp.

I would have done if i'd been on here then, I was saying it elsewhere though and I didn't go to the game. Too much hype, razzmatazz and cost too much money to stage for my liking

I know where you're coming from, and I agree that everyone loved Real Madrid visiting the King Power. Was just like in 2003 when we played Barcelona the buzz of seeing some of the greatest players was here. Pleased that I went to both of these fixtures. I would like to have seen a lower league opposition finish the pre-season though, just incase we loose to Sunderland, although I cannot see it being a massive issue. It will be a good test to see if we are good enough to compete against quality teams. Should be good for the fans to see the new players and all that, but I'll not be going to the Sunderland game, I'll just wait for the league to start.

Let's not forget that we play Torquay in the cup before we start the important business of the league so that's a chance to sort out anything that may go wrong against Sunderland

Let's not forget that we play Torquay in the cup before we start the important business of the league so that's a chance to sort out anything that may go wrong against Sunderland

Keep forgetting Torquay before Posh because it's usually the other way around.

This is the way Pearson does it

2009/10 season our pre-season friendlies were

Loughboro

Tamworth

Hinckley

Mansfield

Shrewsbury

Chesterfield

Oadby Town

Real Valladolid

Didn't stop us from being in the top 6 most of that season did it?

Before the rest of the clan that seem worried about things they can't control, here is the starting squad for Swansea game in the 2009/10

Team Line Ups :

Chris Weale

Michael Morrison

Wayne Brown

Jack Hobbs

Bruno Berner

Matt Oakley

Andy King

Richie Wellens

Lloyd Dyer

Matt Fryatt

Steve Howard

Substitutes :

Luke O'Neill

Conrad Logan

Max Gradel

Nicky Adams

Paul Dickov

Martyn Waghorn

Dany N'Guessan

I think we have a much stronger squad going into this campaign.

I am not sure some of you would have survived the summers under Martin O'Neill, who pulled the rabbit out of the hat and actually sign a player in the final few days before the start of the season. If there are issues like central defence don't you think our management team will know that? We have bought well this summer and I feel we have the right balance in the squad now, we shouldn't put so much attention on pre-season, what matters is when we play for 3 points. Newcastle lost 6-0 against lower league team when they walked the Championship. Pre-season is the time and place to try a few things out, look at different pairings like Vardy/Nugent for example. What's the point in playing Beckford/Nugent together when they played 30 odd games with each other last season

Playing lower league is good for me, the strikers get a few goals and confidence, last season our pre-season opponents were too tough, we couldn't even score. The result: 1 win (against a team that went down) in the first 4 leagues games, it pretty much set the tone for the rest of that season.

well said

I am glad with our so called quite summer....

Last summer , with Sven we carried on like big time Charlie's !!!!

Every day in the papers linked with one big name after another,every time I switched sky sports news on I caught big spending foxes floating around the bottom of the screen.

Real madrid at home the only English club to play them pre - season .

WE (THE CLUB, PLAYERS AND FANS)CARRIEID ON AS IF WE WAS ALREADY IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE !!!!

We was destined to fail , there was no balance .

FFS lol

This summer .

We as fans new what players would leave , they have.?

What positions needed strengthening . They have? ( pretty much)

Roll on Torquay away as that is when the season starts .

PRE SEASON is about fitness, and building your squad ......

Coyb.

Real Madrid was fun. The Thais needed to please the fans after a disappointing first season with us. Realistically it's not going to happen every year and col city fan can you stop asking if people found it exciting, the majority of people did but Pearson has more of a clue of what he's doing than Sven ever did in the championship.

Archived