Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Jermaine Beckford and value for money

169 members have voted

1. 1. Value for money?

• Yes, I still think Beckford is going to come good and represents value for money. I'd keep him.
    • No, I don't think Beckford represents value for money anymore. I'd let him go and give the other reserve strikers a chance.

I have stressed on this the whole summer that I have had concerns about Beckford. It's not that he doesn't have quality nor that he his not a natural goalscorer, I just don't think he has the desire and ambition to play for LCFC. He only always performs better in the FA Cup for the fame factor than anything else, in my opinion. Also, his attitude can be lax or childish at times (Peterborough away).

If he does leave, I'm willing to give Futacs a shot and also Schlupp. They have what Beckford lacks, which I have stated. They're also cheaper and more value for money. I wouldn't bring in a replacement as I think Futacs, Schlupp and Waghorn are good enough, seeing as any would walk straight into most team lineups in this league.

One think that some city fans, I'm guessing, including me at one stage, were willing to give him a try and are afraid to see him depart and turn out to regain his Leeds form (especially if he was to return there which was highly spoken of).

Beckford just isn't very good. Shit touch, makes poor decisions, below average finisher, not that quick, not that good in the air, no skills and can hardly be said to put a shift in and play for the team. Really don't understand where the 'Beckford has undoubted quality' line comes from. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he scores more than a dozen goals this season.

Maybe the numerous goals at Leeds, and the decent return for Everton? That ability doesn't disappear overnight.

Saying that, it seems to be long-term dormant - at the moment he cannot finish, has a wild touch and has definitely not been value for money.

Value for money? It's like we've paid for a million silver coins only to discover they're all made of nickel. He's been a woeful investment.

He might have gone by now but he's not, he's still here, and he's still more likely than any of our other alternatives to get us a goal or two, assuming he's willing to try.

And that to me is the problem. There's not a reliable goalscoring option who can also fit into our style of play. Schlupp might do in time but he's hardly ever been played as a genuine striker in the Championship.

Futacs showed he could score but looked pedestrian and Waghorn has been an almost constant disappointment - when he's been fit to play at all.

Mackail-Smith's the man I would have liked here. His movement and ability to find space would have been a treat to watch and so in keeping with what we're trying to do.

Agree with that for the most part but the Craig Mackail Smith bit I don't. According to Brighton fans he can't hit a barn door and that's with players like LuaLua and Vicente supplying him with changes. Don't rate him at all his scoring record is very poor at Brighton. I'm much happier with Vardy over CMS

Agree with that for the most part but the Craig Mackail Smith bit I don't. According to Brighton fans he can't hit a barn door and that's with players like LuaLua and Vicente supplying him with changes. Don't rate him at all his scoring record is very poor at Brighton. I'm much happier with Vardy over CMS

CMS joint tops the Championship goal-scoring chart at present, with 4 goals already? Thats 4 more than Beckford.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/championship/top-goalscorers.html

CMS joint tops the Championship goal-scoring chart at present, with 4 goals already? Thats 4 more than Beckford.

http://uk.eurosport....oalscorers.html

That's 3 more than our strikers combined, and only 1 less than we as a team have managed, he must be the answer to all our problems...

...oh he has scored against Burnley and Barnsley who are shite.

Decent player CMS, but he is not the answer to our problem, we don't even really have much of a problem, just need Vardy and Nuge to play together a bit more, get their confidence up and a bit of momentum and we will be golden.

I bet CMS is not top scorer at the end of the season.

That's 3 more than our strikers combined, and only 1 less than we as a team have managed, he must be the answer to all our problems...

...oh he has scored against Burnley and Barnsley who are shite.

Decent player CMS, but he is not the answer to our problem, we don't even really have much of a problem, just need Vardy and Nuge to play together a bit more, get their confidence up and a bit of momentum and we will be golden.

I bet CMS is not top scorer at the end of the season.

Whilst I applaud your optimism and agree that Nuge and Vardy look like our first choice, the stats really do speak for themselves Shrap. It is only four games in of course, but its better maybe to look at the facts, rather than what you think/hope will happen. Im not being facetious here, I too believe Vardy/Nuge will score goals. But for the previous poster to state that CMS can't hit a barn door.. is just untrue.

I would also like/expect to see Beckford appearing on that board at some point.

You never give up on Pearson do you.

Funny how everyone else has fell into place, doing well not only individually but also playing for each other, and improving the team outcome as a result, but Beckford's still as shit as he was under Sven when he preferred Schlupp over him despite it being his 'marquee signing'.

If everyone falling into place is losing three games in the last four then I hope I'm not around if we start falling apart

Whilst I applaud your optimism and agree that Nuge and Vardy look like our first choice, the stats really do speak for themselves Shrap. It is only four games in of course, but its better maybe to look at the facts, rather than what you think/hope will happen. Im not being facetious here, I too believe Vardy/Nuge will score goals. But for the previous poster to state that CMS can't hit a barn door.. is just untrue.

I don't applaud your pessimism Col :D JV is adjusting to the Championsip fantastically IMO a few more games under his belt and I think he will be a regular scorer if not prolific which is possible. Nuge has had his nose put out of joint a little and now he's back to 1st choice think he'lll get back to form and the partnership will flourish, god I love these specs :chant:

I don't applaud your pessimism Col :D JV is adjusting to the Championsip fantastically IMO a few more games under his belt and I think he will be a regular scorer if not prolific which is possible. Nuge has had his nose put out of joint a little and now he's back to 1st choice think he'lll get back to form and the partnership will flourish, god I love these specs :chant:

It wasn't pessimistic BTS!

Just stating the facts as they stand at present.

I've said Vardy wil be our top scorer and stand by that. But I'd also like to see Beckford opening his account.

:thumbup:

people who have something between there ears will know he is a proven goalscorer and an absolute talent, whether he is doing that for us at the moment is a question being raised frequently. I don't want him to leave as i still see potential in him, people who want him out PLEASE DO NOT moan when hes bagging 20 goals with another club when we let him go.

people who have something between there ears will know he is a proven goalscorer and an absolute talent, whether he is doing that for us at the moment is a question being raised frequently. I don't want him to leave as i still see potential in him, people who want him out PLEASE DO NOT moan when hes bagging 20 goals with another club when we let him go.

Jonny I have something between my ears and I WILL NOT MOAN because unfortunately he;s not proven the stats prove that, unless you go back to Leeds in the 3rd tier of English football league. I have backed him every time he's pulled on the shirt, never booed him and never would. He just isn't the player to match his hype and price tag unfortunately.I wish he was!

I would definitely let him go. He's Beckford...

That should answer all your queries.

;)

theres always one! Zzzzzz

Jonny I have something between my ears and I WILL NOT MOAN because unfortunately he;s not proven the stats prove that, unless you go back to Leeds in the 3rd tier of English football league. I have backed him every time he's pulled on the shirt, never booed him and never would. He just isn't the player to match his hype and price tag unfortunately.I wish he was!

Do you clap when he comes on/goes off?

Chant his name when he does something good?

JW...

if we give him until the end on the eason and he still doesnt prove his worth then he can leave, but until then.... ;)

Chatting to a Leeds fan who I work with today and he was telling me that Beckford got a lot of his goals at Leeds because of the sheer work rate and unselfishness of his strike partner Luciano Becchio. He seems to think the vast majority of Leeds fans would choose LB over JB everytime. Unfortunately for JB, he looks incapable when he hasn't got someone doing the hard yards for him.

On a side note, he was also saying that Pelts is loved up there already. He was raving about his performances do far. I had no idea he was Leeds' captain either! I told him that we were all raving about him this time last season too :)

theres always one! Zzzzzz

Do you clap when he comes on/goes off?

Chant his name when he does something good?

JW...

if we give him until the end on the eason and he still doesnt prove his worth then he can leave, but until then.... ;)

I always get behind the team which I believe helps I clap players when they're subbed even if they've had a poor game. I genuinely support on a forum I express my opinion people wil not all agree and democracy gives you freedom of speech. If he stays and comes goo great, if he goes I won't be sad and if he goes and scores goal.....that happens! My opinion is I don,t think he will because he's not really that good........ time will tell.

Chatting to a Leeds fan who I work with today and he was telling me that Beckford got a lot of his goals at Leeds because of the sheer work rate and unselfishness of his strike partner Luciano Becchio. He seems to think the vast majority of Leeds fans would choose LB over JB everytime. Unfortunately for JB, he looks incapable when he hasn't got someone doing the hard yards for him.

On a side note, he was also saying that Pelts is loved up there already. He was raving about his performances do far. I had no idea he was Leeds' captain either! I told him that we were all raving about him this time last season too :)

The stuff about Becchio is well known mate. He's a good player and scores/assists pretty regularly.

His partnership with McCormack is one of the main reasons I've got Leeds in the top 6 this season.

Guest BlueBrett

Sums up my position almost perfectly. Whilst I will always support him inside the stadium for as long as he remains a City player he hasn't done anything yet to suggest to me that he is good enough and these boards seem the most appropriate place to air this opinion. I also think if I'm honest with myself I still haven't forgiven him for what he did (or rather didn't do) away at Posh at the end of last season. The more I think about it the more I think I probably just want him gone.

Beckford got a lot of his goals at Leeds because of the sheer work rate and unselfishness of his strike partner Luciano Becchio

I can absolutely believe that.

I always get behind the team which I believe helps I clap players when they're subbed even if they've had a poor game. I genuinely support on a forum I express my opinion people wil not all agree and democracy gives you freedom of speech. If he stays and comes goo great, if he goes I won't be sad and if he goes and scores goal.....that happens! My opinion is I don,t think he will because he's not really that good........ time will tell.

Strangely constructed paragraph mate. Have you been drinking?

lol

Archived