Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Jermaine Beckford and value for money

169 members have voted

1. 1. Value for money?

• Yes, I still think Beckford is going to come good and represents value for money. I'd keep him.
    • No, I don't think Beckford represents value for money anymore. I'd let him go and give the other reserve strikers a chance.

It would appear that Pearson has had two main objectives so far this season.

Firstly, to get the team playing better... by all accounts he seems to be moving in the right direction in this respect.

But also, to slim down the squad, in terms of wages, in preparation for FFP.

Given this, I don't apologise by bringing up Beckford once more.

Allegedly (I don't profess to know the figures), Beckford is now our top wage earner. Perhaps by a sizeable amount?

Does Jermaine therefore represent value for money? Are we correct to continue to play him, in favour of Futacs and Waghorn for example, or is it now time to be moving Beckford on. The rumours were that we tried to do this on transfer deadline day, but it didn't happen for whatever reason.

Personally, I still can't see how Beckford represents 'value for money'...having seen him play a few times this season. I was willing to give him a chance but I think my heart maybe ruled my head? This is only my opinion, whats yours?

Should we keep Beckford, play him, pay him? or is it time to give the others a go?

Opinions please...

He will go imo the loan window opens this Friday coming and I don't expect him to stay here unless NP wants him, but if he does go I expect us to bring in another forward because we need competition in that area and goals ultimately.

No offence Col but this has been debated to death.

I know that mate, I genuinely do.

I think its a more important question now it would appear he's not first choice striker.

In terms of value for money, we are paying a player allegedly big wages to warm the bench, at least at the moment.

We've also seen him play now in four games this season, and pre-season.

So I thought i'd ask the question again.

Always been a Beckford fan but I think this week we have turned a corner looks like he has expressed a desire to leave and played shockingly yesterday, taken this into account I think we should be starting with Vardy and Nugent as they want to play for the club and maybe a loan or sale will be the best thing all round. Shame because he has got some real talent but he's slipped down the pecking order now

It would appear that Pearson has had two main objectives so far this season.

Firstly, to get the team playing better... by all accounts he seems to be moving in the right direction in this respect.

But also, to slim down the squad, in terms of wages, in preparation for FFP.

Given this, I don't apologise by bringing up Beckford once more.

Allegedly (I don't profess to know the figures), Beckford is now our top wage earner. Perhaps by a sizeable amount?

Does Jermaine therefore represent value for money? Are we correct to continue to play him, in favour of Futacs and Waghorn for example, or is it now time to be moving Beckford on. The rumours were that we tried to do this on transfer deadline day, but it didn't happen for whatever reason.

Personally, I still can't see how Beckford represents 'value for money'...having seen him play a few times this season. I was willing to give him a chance but I think my heart maybe ruled my head? This is only my opinion, whats yours?

Should we keep Beckford, play him, pay him? or is it time to give the others a go?

Opinions please...

One of Pearson's problems and strengths is that he has the flexibility of a cast iron rod. That's fine if he has the right personalities in his squad (I'm sure in an ideal world he could assemble a bunch of robots that would'nt ask a question ) in the real world though, managers will inheret players that need special care.

Think Max Gradel comin through the youth setup. It was obvious that we had unearthed a gem and it was painful to watch him go so cheaply to Leeds. Nigel was too stubborn to let Max blossom. Jeff "nice guy" Schlupp though is the perfect NP personality and he will be successful at our club.

A lot of the top players are often volatile and complex. Think Tevez. Tame these players and keep large squads happy - this I believe is what makes a top manager.

Going back to Beckford. There's no denying he's a goal scorer and quality. The big question is, will he ever be compatible with Pearson?

One of Pearson's problems and strengths is that he has the flexibility of a cast iron rod. That's fine if he has the right personalities in his squad (I'm sure in an ideal world he could assemble a bunch of robots that would'nt ask a question ) in the real world though, managers will inheret players that need special care.

Think Max Gradel comin through the youth setup. It was obvious that we had unearthed a gem and it was painful to watch him go so cheaply to Leeds. Nigel was too stubborn to let Max blossom. Jeff "nice guy" Schlupp though is the perfect NP personality and he will be successful at our club.

Sorry but where does all this stuff about Gradel come from? The lad was massively inconsistent with us even in league one. He was probably worth a place on the bench at least, but we sent him out to get experience.

There's no denying he's a goal scorer and quality.

Oh there is.

The big question is, will he ever be compatible with Pearson?

The big question is not that, it's is he good enough and does he offer enough when he's not playing one of his 10 good games a year.

He's not value for money.

Was never value for money.

Was a panic buy in the last few minutes of deadline day.

Got paid far too much in wages.

His work rate is suspect.

He can have a good game then turn in a bad one a few days later.

He has an eye for goal, but his eye wanders at times, quite where who knows.

Fans like Col dont like him and would rather see him gone.

He now probably has the hump as we pissed him around on deadline day.

All in all he needs to move on for everyone's sake.

have not seen futacs Play, but would no way pick waghorn over beckford, as for "is beckford value for money"? No (my opinion)

I have, in the week.

Futacs is a lump with a decent finish.

However when he came on we totally forgot we had a midfield and just lumped everything to him.

Guest BlueBrett

Beckford just isn't very good. Shit touch, makes poor decisions, below average finisher, not that quick, not that good in the air, no skills and can hardly be said to put a shift in and play for the team. Really don't understand where the 'Beckford has undoubted quality' line comes from. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he scores more than a dozen goals this season.

Decent replacement,? Beckford offers little anyway so it wont be hard replacing him.

I think he knows he isnt wanted (huddersfield move which fell through) so I cant see the point in playing him at all.

Its an embarrassment for Pearson, he would gladly let Beckford leave but if not, then he's in the team???

Can we have a third option of "he never represented anything approaching value for money in the first place"?

No the third option should be "get rid of beckford for a decent replacement" because it dosnt look like our reserves at the minute are good enough

I think it looks like Pearson would like to replace him, rather than just offload him. There were rumours that we missed out on Harry Kane, and that could have been why we couldn't let Beckford leave. There were also rumours that we tried to sign Adam Le Fondre from Reading, and they told us to wait until the loan window opens.

Anyone worried that Schlupp and Waghorn aren't good enough to cover Vardy and Nugent needn't be - there could well be a striker coming in should Beckford leave.

I very rarely post and enjoy all your banter but all i read is post after post of beckford this beckford that and its the same old ground, can we not move on and focus on the team and not individuals. He is not in form but is clearly going to contribute big wage or not. If he hits form and scores some vital goals against big teams we will all be delighted.

A lot of the top players are often volatile and complex. Think Tevez. Tame these players and keep large squads happy - this I believe is what makes a top manager.

Going back to Beckford. There's no denying he's a goal scorer and quality. The big question is, will he ever be compatible with Pearson?

I disagree with your assessment of np he has shown a lot of flexibility this season and has completely changed his ethos, we now play fast attacking football on the ground and looking to get in behind the defence. This is what people meant by playing to Beckford's strengths. You could argue he has built a team to get the best out of Becks. But he hasn't scored and hasn't looked like scoring. I will still support Beckford, but when he has a chance like yesterday and performs as he did I can't defend him to people that don't think he deserves to be here especially on the wages he is reported to be on.

Archived