Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Jermaine Beckford and value for money

169 members have voted

1. 1. Value for money?

• Yes, I still think Beckford is going to come good and represents value for money. I'd keep him.
    • No, I don't think Beckford represents value for money anymore. I'd let him go and give the other reserve strikers a chance.

Has he met expectations? No clearly not, so in that respect he is not value for money. Personally I don't think many footballers give value for money when considering the vast amount of money they remove from the game. I think it would be best for Beckford, as well as the club, if he moved on, it doesn't look like it will ever work and his wages could used elsewhere, and to greater effect. I will not bother voting though unless I ever find out what all our squad members are actually earning rather than vague guesses from random forum members.

Decent replacement,? Beckford offers little anyway so it wont be hard replacing him.

I think he knows he isnt wanted (huddersfield move which fell through) so I cant see the point in

playing him at all.

Its an embarrassment for Pearson, he would gladly let Beckford leave but if not, then he's in the team???

Yes decent, we need someone whos gonna be more DECENT then beckford, which clearly Pearson dosnt see that in waghorn and futacs

I very rarely post and enjoy all your banter but all i read is post after post of beckford this beckford that and its the same old ground, can we not move on and focus on the team and not individuals. He is not in form but is clearly going to contribute big wage or not. If he hits form and scores some vital goals against big teams we will all be delighted.

Well of course we would, but that is a monumental if. We'd also be delighted if Schmeichel scored some vital goals against big teams.

He's stealing his wages off us

From all evidence of the past year he's not good enough to unseat Nugent+Vardy which means he's bench material, how can a team of limited reach & therefore limited income with FFP over-hanging us justify those wages to sit on the bench. It would be much better to see Hopper coming off the bench, or the new lad Fuctas when match fit (or even Schlupp, unless his left back performances prioritise him there)

Beckford makes poor decision, yesterday he shot when he should have passed, he passed when he should have stalled for time & each time Blackpool broke away & nearly scored. When he's not making poor decision the ball bounces off him 10 yards, yeah sure his fanboys love his touch yesterday when he caught a ball over shoulder perfectly well that's about the first time he's done that over the year. He's got nothing in the air... All of these can be forgiven if he forms partnerships in the pitch and contributes to the team outcome but he doesn't he's woeful at it.

Such a shame we couldn't sell him as a loan deal is quite unsavoury, but I'd much rather us get 2 players on loan who can contribute than have him mugging us for Premiership wages every week.

Autograph hunters say he's got a good attitude on the training ground & he gets on with people... Barring two performances (Forest in the cup & S'ton away) that's about the sum total of his achievements over the past year. Shocking.

Well of course we would, but that is a monumental if. We'd also be delighted if Schmeichel scored some vital goals against big teams.

Admit that hes been poor so far but like it or not hes on the books, so I feel that we should get behind him. He is always a goal threat and i would sub him on over any of our other backup strikers. Its a long season so we will need him.

He's stealing his wages off us

From all evidence of the past year he's not good enough to unseat Nugent+Vardy which means he's bench material, how can a team of limited reach & therefore limited income with FFP over-hanging us justify those wages to sit on the bench. It would be much better to see Hopper coming off the bench, or the new lad Fuctas when match fit (or even Schlupp, unless his left back performances prioritise him there)

Beckford makes poor decision, yesterday he shot when he should have passed, he passed when he should have stalled for time & each time Blackpool broke away & nearly scored. When he's not making poor decision the ball bounces off him 10 yards, yeah sure his fanboys love his touch yesterday when he caught a ball over shoulder perfectly well that's about the first time he's done that over the year. He's got nothing in the air... All of these can be forgiven if he forms partnerships in the pitch and contributes to the team outcome but he doesn't he's woeful at it.

Such a shame we couldn't sell him as a loan deal is quite unsavoury, but I'd much rather us get 2 players on loan who can contribute than have him mugging us for Premiership wages every week.

Autograph hunters say he's got a good attitude on the training ground & he gets on with people... Barring two performances (Forest in the cup & S'ton away) that's about the sum total of his achievements over the past year. Shocking.

Sorry that is bollox he has played well in number of games, not as many as he should have done granted, but you are doing him a disservice. He is not terrible in the air probably would have scored those headers vardy and nugent have missed this season, his touch has improved this season but was awful at times last season...

...but this is what pisses me off on here you can't have any sort of serious discussion because people just lie and make things up and claim it as fact so those that know it is bollox have to argue the contrary.

The fact that we are even having thus and countless other debates is clear he hasn't been successful so far, goals aside whether you count it as 9 or 15 or only scored in 7 league games however you want to manipulate your stats, he has not impressed the majority and whether you see enough talent to justify the wages or not is the debate.

I won't be sad if he goes I will just be disappointed he didn't live up to his ability and he will be too. Probably best for both for him to move on.

Why must we focus on Beckford so much? Just because a player isn't quite performing how we would like, does that mean we have to automatically sell up? If he finds form start him, if not he is still a useful squad player with bags of potential. Over-analysed to death, feeling sorry for the guy.

I disagree with your assessment of np he has shown a lot of flexibility this season and has completely changed his ethos, we now play fast attacking football on the ground and looking to get in behind the defence. This is what people meant by playing to Beckford's strengths. You could argue he has built a team to get the best out of Becks. But he hasn't scored and hasn't looked like scoring. I will still support Beckford, but when he has a chance like yesterday and performs as he did I can't defend him to people that don't think he deserves to be here especially on the wages he is reported to be on.

If Mancini was take over at Leicester I can guarantee Beckford would start and he would be a goal machine. I'm not dissing NP, I love him.

If he dosen't figure in Pearson's plans, then why play him yesterday?

He clearly wasn't with it.

It would appear that Pearson has had two main objectives so far this season.

Firstly, to get the team playing better... by all accounts he seems to be moving in the right direction in this respect.

But also, to slim down the squad, in terms of wages, in preparation for FFP.

Given this, I don't apologise by bringing up Beckford once more.

Allegedly (I don't profess to know the figures), Beckford is now our top wage earner. Perhaps by a sizeable amount?

Does Jermaine therefore represent value for money? Are we correct to continue to play him, in favour of Futacs and Waghorn for example, or is it now time to be moving Beckford on. The rumours were that we tried to do this on transfer deadline day, but it didn't happen for whatever reason.

Personally, I still can't see how Beckford represents 'value for money'...having seen him play a few times this season. I was willing to give him a chance but I think my heart maybe ruled my head? This is only my opinion, whats yours?

Should we keep Beckford, play him, pay him? or is it time to give the others a go?

Opinions please...

Why must we focus on Beckford so much? Just because a player isn't quite performing how we would like, does that mean we have to automatically sell up? If he finds form start him, if not he is still a useful squad player with bags of potential. Over-analysed to death, feeling sorry for the guy.

He's 28, not currently good enough for a starting position, our highest earner and has never scored more than 10 league goals above League One, we might be able to get a couple of good seasons out of him if we're lucky, but I wouldn't say he has bags of potential.

He's 28, not currently good enough for a starting position, our highest earner and has never scored more than 10 league goals above League One, we might be able to get a couple of good seasons out of him if we're lucky, but I wouldn't say he has bags of potential.

Exactly... People talk like he's Schlupp or Hopper's age

He's the finished article in his prime, that's why we bought him

72 goals in 126 league games for Leeds. What I mean is that he has the potential to get back to this.

If Mancini was take over at Leicester I can guarantee Beckford would start and he would be a goal machine. I'm not dissing NP, I love him.

Why? If he brings his millions and world class squad, then you are right they would lay it on a plate for Beckford, but we have been playing to Beckford's strengths this season and he hasn't performed in the games he has played, I don't see what Mankini do any different.

You're hoping for relegation to the 3rd tier then?

Also Evertons top scorer in the Prem, and Vardy did it at conference level. I just think we are over analysing Beckford because we see him as a high earner, yet really his wages shouldn't concern us, as we aren't paying them. Everyone worries about the finance so much, like the club are bumbling idiots. They have financial experts who know what we can and cant afford.

Also Evertons top scorer in the Prem, and Vardy did it at conference level. I just think we are over analysing Beckford because we see him as a high earner, yet really his wages shouldn't concern us, as we aren't paying them. Everyone worries about the finance so much, like the club are bumbling idiots. They have financial experts who know what we can and cant afford.

At a time when Everton would sooner player a 4-6-0 formation than start him

Which is exactly why we were desperate to offload him on Friday but couldn't get the exact deal we needed (loan to permanent) off Huddersfield so pulled the plug

He's not value for money.

Was never value for money.

Was a panic buy in the last few minutes of deadline day.

Got paid far too much in wages.

His work rate is suspect.

He can have a good game then turn in a bad one a few days later.

He has an eye for goal, but his eye wanders at times, quite where who knows.

Fans like Col dont like him and would rather see him gone.

He now probably has the hump as we pissed him around on deadline day.

All in all he needs to move on for everyone's sake.

Crap poem.

he started the first 2 games. maybe could have started yesterday if reports are correct that he was in Huddersfield the night before.

vardy is 25, never played in the league before does this mean he has no potential either ?

Archived