Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Jermaine Beckford and value for money

169 members have voted

1. 1. Value for money?

• Yes, I still think Beckford is going to come good and represents value for money. I'd keep him.
    • No, I don't think Beckford represents value for money anymore. I'd let him go and give the other reserve strikers a chance.

The problem with the poll is it is asking people to predict the future, will he be value for money? Depends if we actually play him or not or whether we sell him. It is also asking us to guess how much he cost and how much he has earned and ignore the fact that no footballer represents value for money due to massively inflated fees and wages.

If the question was has he been value for money so far, assuming the reported fee of around 2-3million and wages adding another half to a million on to that, so for 2.5 to 4 million has he been worth it so far? Compared to those that have cost a lot less then no, compared to Matt Mills then yes.

But the poll like so many others before it is Beckford yes or no, and done after the game yesterday where he came on looked poor and made mistakes and rumoured shenanigans on Friday, it could be a cynical attempt to prove that we have turned against him despite all other polls showing the majority still support him.

Like everyone else on here I will support him every time he wears the royal blue, I will not be upset if he goes, if only to stop these debates, or at least have a different target.

@ Col: Uh oh. Your poll making skills are under scrutiny again. lol

If we take the rumours as true, I think it does look like there could well be a striker coming in to replace Beckford, should he leave. Maybe Le Fondre, and we apparently tried to sign Kane before Norwich got him.

I have to hold up mi hands and accept I'm shit at making polls!

Babs called it first time and was right...

Theres only one thing for it though RD... I'm gonna have to practice and create MORE till I get it right.. So thank you for motivating me to do this!

lol

:o

The problem with the poll is it is asking people to predict the future, will he be value for money? Depends if we actually play him or not or whether we sell him. It is also asking us to guess how much he cost and how much he has earned and ignore the fact that no footballer represents value for money due to massively inflated fees and wages.

If the question was has he been value for money so far, assuming the reported fee of around 2-3million and wages adding another half to a million on to that, so for 2.5 to 4 million has he been worth it so far? Compared to those that have cost a lot less then no, compared to Matt Mills then yes.

But the poll like so many others before it is Beckford yes or no, and done after the game yesterday where he came on looked poor and made mistakes and rumoured shenanigans on Friday, it could be a cynical attempt to prove that we have turned against him despite all other polls showing the majority still support him.

Like everyone else on here I will support him every time he wears the royal blue, I will not be upset if he goes, if only to stop these debates, or at least have a different target.

Same as you I will always cheer for the boys in Royal Blue.

And the poll has demonstrated how many people still feel that Beckford is value for money. Not the majority but a sizeable number of voters.

:thumbup:

some people are beyond help :thumbup:

Now that I can't argue with...

Regarding your above post (where you were actually discussing Beckford rather than suggesting the poll was created by some fictitious author)... Thank you for your contribution.

Thats how I saw it too...

If he scores 1 goal all season but it's the goal that confirms our promotion then he'd prove value for money, but its hardly a return we expect from a striker we'd expect to do a Ricky Lambert and fire us up there throughout the season

Has he done the business for us over his year here? So infrequently you'd have to say no.

Does he show any signs of being able to do the business for us? No

The question isn't "do you think he has ability and could score a few goals elsewhere" which is what most people in favour of him seem to be misguidingly answering, where the sole reason for keeping him appears to be purely 'DJ Campbell' but nothing actually in Beckford's favour apart from vague stuff like 'his movement looked good' or 'he trapped the ball well once' ignoring the fact his awful decision making could have cost us 2-3 goals on the break.

Moving away from this vague unmeasurable shit that appears in his 'pro column' in every thread about him all that actually matters is:

What are the tangible outcomes of his actions over a long period of time? Almost nothing outside of Forest&S'ton games, so then is it worth keeping him when we can either blood Schlupp or Hopper from the bench or use the ongoing wage commitment savings to bring in someone new up-front or strengthen the squad elsewhere. Anyone with a brain, weighing up pure facts about the outcomes of 95% of his performances wouldn't continue with this "his movement was quite good in a couple of games" bullshit and would take the option to strengthen elsewhere

If he scores 1 goal all season but it's the goal that confirms our promotion then he'd prove value for money, but its hardly a return we expect from a striker we'd expect to do a Ricky Lambert and fire us up there throughout the season

Has he done the business for us over his year here? So infrequently you'd have to say no.

Does he show any signs of being able to do the business for us? No

The question isn't "do you think he has ability and could score a few goals elsewhere" which is what most people in favour of him seem to be misguidingly answering, where the sole reason for keeping him appears to be purely 'DJ Campbell' but nothing actually in Beckford's favour apart from vague stuff like 'his movement looked good' or 'he trapped the ball well once' ignoring the fact his awful decision making could have cost us 2-3 goals on the break.

Moving away from this vague unmeasurable shit that appears in his 'pro column' in every thread about him all that actually matters is:

What are the tangible outcomes of his actions over a long period of time? Almost nothing outside of Forest&S'ton games, so then is it worth keeping him when we can either blood Schlupp or Hopper from the bench or use the ongoing wage commitment savings to bring in someone new up-front or strengthen the squad elsewhere. Anyone with a brain, weighing up pure facts about the outcomes of 95% of his performances wouldn't continue with this "his movement was quite good in a couple of games" bullshit and would take the option to strengthen elsewhere

...and the Swindon game, and his 2 goals against Blackpool, and his last minute equaliser at Middlesbrough, and his performance against Norwich where he was an integral part in the highlight of last season, including his goals to get us there, plus other goals and assists and performances.

I'm not saying he is great and I'm not saying the criticism isn't justified, and for every good game he has a bad one, but he gave a lot more than he is given credit for last season.

The problem is exacerbated by his name, his fee, his wages, his perceived attitude on the pitch and off it and a generally poor season all round last season.

I just hope he doesn't read this forum. His confidence is already low.

It does make me smile that some of the people that use "support your team" as a response to any reasoned criticism of the manager find it so easy to make an exception for JB and slate him incessantly.

It does make me smile that some of the people that use "support your team" as a response to any reasoned criticism of the manager find it so easy to make an exception for JB and slate him incessantly.

If his confidence is low (do you know this?) then a move away from Leicester might be the right thing for the player and the club? Just a thought..

And after some posts of yours recently effectively dismissing the team and it's chances I don't think you're one to now start taking the moral high ground.

His confidence is low because he's been poor for all but six or seven games since he got here.

Many fans are fed up because he's been poor for all but six or seven games since he got here.

I'm sure he'd understand.

You talking about "reasoned" criticism of the manager? lol

If his confidence is low (do you know this?) then a move away from Leicester might be the right thing for the player and the club? Just a thought..

And after some posts of yours recently effectively dismissing the team and it's chances I don't think you're one to now start taking the moral high ground.

I didn't take the moral high ground ..... you did .... and now you're laying into a player again.

I laid into the team that played against Burton (you know the game you missed on the radio) because they were shocking, suddenly that wasn't allowed as it wasn't supporting the team (in your opinion) .... then you start a thread asking if a player is good value!!!

Stinks of hypocracy.

But that's my last word on it, I've got better things to do than to argue with a sycophant.

I didn't take the moral high ground ..... you did .... and now you're laying into a player again.

I laid into the team that played against Burton (you know the game you missed on the radio) because they were shocking, suddenly that wasn't allowed as it wasn't supporting the team (in your opinion) .... then you start a thread asking if a player is good value!!!

Stinks of hypocracy.

But that's my last word on it, I've got better things to do than to argue with a sycophant.

Your last word on it.. Thank f..k for that!

And it's hypocrisy...

Speak a bit louder next time ive got mi radio on..

Value for money? It's like we've paid for a million silver coins only to discover they're all made of nickel. He's been a woeful investment.

He might have gone by now but he's not, he's still here, and he's still more likely than any of our other alternatives to get us a goal or two, assuming he's willing to try.

And that to me is the problem. There's not a reliable goalscoring option who can also fit into our style of play. Schlupp might do in time but he's hardly ever been played as a genuine striker in the Championship.

Futacs showed he could score but looked pedestrian and Waghorn has been an almost constant disappointment - when he's been fit to play at all.

Mackail-Smith's the man I would have liked here. His movement and ability to find space would have been a treat to watch and so in keeping with what we're trying to do.

Archived