Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Jermaine Beckford and value for money

169 members have voted

1. 1. Value for money?

• Yes, I still think Beckford is going to come good and represents value for money. I'd keep him.
    • No, I don't think Beckford represents value for money anymore. I'd let him go and give the other reserve strikers a chance.

he started the first 2 games. maybe could have started yesterday if reports are correct that he was in Huddersfield the night before.

vardy is 25, never played in the league before does this mean he has no potential either ?

Well no because Vardy we can get a few more years out of, and hasn't been tested at this level so no judgement can yet be made. He is also getting less money so I'd be more inclined to take a risk on him if I were Mr. Pearson.

It would appear that Pearson has had two main objectives so far this season.

Firstly, to get the team playing better... by all accounts he seems to be moving in the right direction in this respect.

But also, to slim down the squad, in terms of wages, in preparation for FFP.

Given this, I don't apologise by bringing up Beckford once more.

Allegedly (I don't profess to know the figures), Beckford is now our top wage earner. Perhaps by a sizeable amount?

if this is really the case why are the likes of gally still here?? renewed contract so higher wages apparently, not really looking like getting much game time.

72 goals in 126 league games for Leeds. What I mean is that he has the potential to get back to this.

Maybe this is all part of Beckford's grand plan? Play so badly at Championship level that we get relegated, and then fire us to promotion in League One?

he started the first 2 games. maybe could have started yesterday if reports are correct that he was in Huddersfield the night before.

vardy is 25, never played in the league before does this mean he has no potential either ?

Strikers tend to peak around 27/28. I can't see any reason to think Beckford's going to be much better than he is now.

Vardy should still be improving for a few years yet, and he's a late starter. He apparently had a few problems early on in his career. I doubt he's ever had a chance to focus solely on his football as he can now, either. Besides, he looks to be a better player so far than Beckford anyway.

if this is really the case why are the likes of gally still here?? renewed contract so higher wages apparently, not really looking like getting much game time.

Gallagher's going to be difficult to sell with the contract Sven gave him. I can't imagine there are many clubs willing to match his current wages.

He was shipped around by us in the window too, wages were reportedly the problem stopping him joining either Huddesfield or Ipswich I can't remember which one

Strikers tend to peak around 27/28. I can't see any reason to think Beckford's going to be much better than he is now.

Vardy should still be improving for a few years yet, and he's a late starter. He apparently had a few problems early on in his career. I doubt he's ever had a chance to focus solely on his football as he can now, either. Besides, he looks to be a better player so far than Beckford anyway.

wheres this information from ??

Gallagher's going to be difficult to sell with the contract Sven gave him. I can't imagine there are many clubs willing to match his current wages.

He was shipped around by us in the window too, wages were reportedly the problem stopping him joining either Huddesfield or Ipswich I can't remember which one

funny how people want to say his wages and contract are problems yet matt mills was soon easily moved.. if matt mills can be moved on who was allegedly one of the highest paid do people reaally believe other couldnt be moved or just using it as an excuse

Crap poem.

Jermaine Beckford 'value for money'?

You having a laugh? That ain't even funny.

He has no pace and his touch has gone,

He can only score in fvcking League One.

So if you're reading, Nige

Do the right thing,

Flog him to Huddersfield

(and get Dyer off the wing).

:unsure::whistle::dunno:

It's a generally held belief derived from statistics that show most strikers best years are around that age. He also said "tends", so he wasn't saying it was an unarguable fact either.

From http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/agingex/agingex.html

In aerobic events, performance usually peaks in the mid-twenties, as gains from prolonged training, improved mechanical skills and competitive experience are negated by decreases in maximal oxygen intake and flexibility. Because of a longer plateauing of muscle strength, performance in anaerobic events declines less steeply, and in pursuits such as golf and equitation, where experience is paramount, the best competitors are aged 30-40 years.

Which is why defenders and goalkeepers tend to peak later.

Do the right thing,

Flog him to Huddersfield

Better. :thumbup:

Do the right thing,

Flog him to Huddersfield

And buy Slaieri some glasses,

He's sleep with male brasses,

With long hair and hand stubble,

He's blind and in trouble.

From watching football. It's no coincidence that outfield players who don't have their career ended prematurely by serious injury all tend to retire in their 30s, you know? The human body in the vast majority of cases reaches its physical peak in the late 20s. That's just nature.

funny how people want to say his wages and contract are problems yet matt mills was soon easily moved.. if matt mills can be moved on who was allegedly one of the highest paid do people reaally believe other couldnt be moved or just using it as an excuse

To a club who've got years of Premiership earnings & now parachute payments... and we were willing to take the £3m hit

How does that relate to being clubs being unable to sign others due to deals they're on

it's not just beckford that's the problem, or indeed nugent or vardy. in other teams, all could and would score 20+ goals easily. the real problem is our snail like ability to break forward from midfield to attack. sure we play quick football, but it's quick sideways football to the wingers, allowing the other team to get two banks of four standing on the edge of the area. it's much harder to defend running backwards than standing waiting.

where was the move yesterday like the Blackpool guy who turned on the edge of the area and slide rule passed through the gap for Tom ince to have a clear shot saved? (not including when they were desperately piling forward at the end).

I think he would be good value for money if he had a manager who wanted him at the club and who wanted to get the best out of him. It would be a shame to lose him imo. It's going to be a long season with Jamie "Hume" Vardy up front every game. But then that's Nigel Pearson for you, he only plays people who he likes regardless of ability, and he gets rid of anyone he doesn't personally like even if we need them. Always has, always will, and will be his failing as a manager until he grows the fk up.

This

And I believe THIS is exactly the same problem with Beckford. It was said by quite a few people near the end of last season and over the summer. Pearson may find it difficult to get rid of certain players because other clubs will not consider them value for money either.

And even in the crazy world of football, value for money is finally becoming more important.

I think he would be good value for money if he had a manager who wanted him at the club and who wanted to get the best out of him. It would be a shame to lose him imo. It's going to be a long season with Jamie "Hume" Vardy up front every game. But then that's Nigel Pearson for you, he only plays people who he likes regardless of ability, and he gets rid of anyone he doesn't personally like even if we need them. Always has, always will, and will be his failing as a manager until he grows the fk up.

lol

3/10 :/

OK I'll try again...

Slaieri bent down but the penny was glued,

As he tugged at the pavement he glimpsed something rude,

A big man behind him.. His Todger was out,

As he felt his jeans drop he was'nt in doubt.

Shall I carry on?! :whistle:

OK I'll try again...

Slaieri bent down but the penny was glued,

As he tugged at the pavement he glimpsed something rude,

A big man behind him.. His Todger was out,

As he felt his jeans drop he was'nt in doubt.

Shall I carry on?! :whistle:

Better :D

To a club who've got years of Premiership earnings & now parachute payments... and we were willing to take the £3m hit

How does that relate to being clubs being unable to sign others due to deals they're on

This

And I believe THIS is exactly the same problem with Beckford. It was said by quite a few people near the end of last season and over the summer. Pearson may find it difficult to get rid of certain players because other clubs will not consider them value for money either.

And even in the crazy world of football, value for money is finally becoming more important.

didnt JB just agree a deal with hudderfield but seems we pulled the plug after missing out on our target..

surely footballers want to play football so they would compromise on there wages anyway. hardly thing they want to sit and get a paycheck and not even be on the bench, ( all though it sounds great for us normal workers to be paid for nothing there professionals)

didnt JB just agree a deal with hudderfield but seems we pulled the plug after missing out on our target..

surely footballers want to play football so they would compromise on there wages anyway. hardly thing they want to sit and get a paycheck and not even be on the bench, ( all though it sounds great for us normal workers to be paid for nothing there professionals)

Nobody actually knows, there may not even have been a deal, could have all bee bollox from Huddersfield trying to force a deal through, don't know, but I don't think there is any point in speculating, he didn't go that is the only fact that counts.

Nobody actually knows, there may not even have been a deal, could have all bee bollox from Huddersfield trying to force a deal through, don't know, but I don't think there is any point in speculating, he didn't go that is the only fact that counts.

so we can specualte that gallys wages were an issue for his apparent moves as thats convenient but to do the same with JB to offer a different side to the point and nobody really knows,,, lol

Guest BlueBrett
I think he would be good value for money if he had a manager who wanted him at the club and who wanted to get the best out of him. It would be a shame to lose him imo. It's going to be a long season with Jamie "Hume" Vardy up front every game. But then that's Nigel Pearson for you, he only plays people who he likes regardless of ability, and he gets rid of anyone he doesn't personally like even if we need them. Always has, always will, and will be his failing as a manager until he grows the fk up. [/color]]

Well that's bollocks. Beckford has had plenty of opportunities on the pitch to show us what he can do. Not sure if you are suggesting he has been deliberately performing badly to piss Pearson off because they allegedly don't get on but if so that is not only far fetched but doesn't say much for his professionalism if even close to being true. You can say what you like about 'getting the best out of him' with tactics or whatever but the most brilliant tactician who ever lived couldn't stop Jermaine swinging his leg wildly when he gets a sight at goal

Another Beckford thread Col, I thought you were better than that :facepalm:

Well it's an ongoing issue so why shouldn't there be ongoing debate? If you think you've heard/read it all too many times before then maybe you are just spending too much time on FT

Archived