Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
artursteppe

Nigel's pre-match team talk at Wolves.

'OK boys, you know you are all good players, and as I have said before the main thing to be aware of in the first half is that you must retain high levels of energy for the second half of the match. Don't do too much in the first half.

If possible the ideal scoreline at half time should be 0-0, so that if we have not expended too much energy in the first 45 minutes we'll have a good chance of winning.

All the successes I have had as a manager in my career have been based upon my teams doing more in the second half than the first. You must all be committed to the same purpose, I do not want a few of you thinking that as more teams win by being in the lead at half time than teams who are not in the lead at half time that this should be something to aim for. We must be together with the same shared objective, which is to be 0-0 at half time. Nothing would be worse than having some players being too energetic in the first 45 minutes whilst others are sticking to my plan, it would only cause us problems in the second period.

I know this did not quite work at Charlton and Blackburn, but if we had not conceded in the first half of those matches, we would have won them both, so you can see I am right.

It is very rare for any of my teams to be winning at half time. I am used to that, and I love my teams to come from behind to win. It shows great character and strength of purpose and the fans love it when it happens, and we must remember they are very important to us.

Another thing to remember is that we must respect the opposition. All matches in this league are hard, we should take our time, see what the other team are like in the first half, then we can capitalise on that in the second half with our reserved energy.

So go out there, take your time and we will come through in the end.'

For those who don't understand my drift, or want a short form, we are lazy and poor during the first half of almost every match we ever play under Pearson and that is absolutely wrong. It makes life difficult and gives us problems, home or away. In how many matches do we find ourselves in the lead at half time? NOT ENOUGH! We MUST do more in the first half.

'OK boys, you know you are all good players, and as I have said before the main thing to be aware of in the first half is that you must retain high levels of energy for the second half of the match. Don't do too much in the first half.

If possible the ideal scoreline at half time should be 0-0, so that if we have not expended too much energy in the first 45 minutes we'll have a good chance of winning.

All the successes I have had as a manager in my career have been based upon my teams doing more in the second half than the first. You must all be committed to the same purpose, I do not want a few of you thinking that as more teams win by being in the lead at half time than teams who are not in the lead at half time that this should be something to aim for. We must be together with the same shared objective, which is to be 0-0 at half time. Nothing would be worse than having some players being too energetic in the first 45 minutes whilst others are sticking to my plan, it would only cause us problems in the second period.

I know this did not quite work at Charlton and Blackburn, but if we had not conceded in the first half of those matches, we would have won them both, so you can see I am right.

It is very rare for any of my teams to be winning at half time. I am used to that, and I love my teams to come from behind to win. It shows great character and strength of purpose and the fans love it when it happens, and we must remember they are very important to us.

Another thing to remember is that we must respect the opposition. All matches in this league are hard, we should take our time, see what the other team are like in the first half, then we can capitalise on that in the second half with our reserved energy.

Cant believe you've taken a good few minutes to write this..... crazy

No we wouldn't...

For those who don't understand my drift, or want a short form, we are lazy and poor during the first half of almost every match we ever play under Pearson and that is absolutely wrong. It makes life difficult and gives us problems, home or away. In how many matches do we find ourselves in the lead at half time? NOT ENOUGH! We MUST do more in the first half.

Thank you for writing a dissertation to explain this one sentance point.

What a waste of time reading this....

Did we not know that already?

'Artur Askey' is back again...

:thumbup:

What a waste of time reading this....

Did we not know that already?

'Artur Askey' is back again...

:thumbup:

Probably beyond you, but the whole point of my piece is to suggest that Pearson does not understand this. Hello!

You could've just said "we're not great in the first half normally, much better in the second".

You could've just said "we're not great in the first half normally, much better in the second".

Thanks for the tip, but that still does not make the point that Pearson does not understand this.

Thanks for the tip, but that still does not make the point that Pearson does not understand this.

You could've just said "we're not great in the first half normally, much better in the second. Pearson doesn't understand that we have to be better in the first half".

You could have posted in the post match thread and not clogged up the forum with another shite thread.

He doesn't think that at all, I distinctly remember him saying he would be "disappointed with a point against Doncaster" after we had lost to them away.

Half time team talk.

NP. Just go out there give the ball away at every opportunity and be shite at defending set pieces.

Players: we can't do that boss

NP: well you just focking did in the first half!

Ha ha, almost worth reading the preceding drivel for that little gem.

Archived