Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
marbelladave

Sussed. (Playing 4-4-2 and other nonsense)

Despite the posts on here and elswhere suggesting that we have been playing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, the reality is that we have been playing 4-4-2.

Okay, it is a skewed and somewhat unusual formation but it has been 4-4-2 with our nominal right winger given licence to come inside and fill the void in forward midfield that was so obvious in our earlier games.

With Knockaert playing mostly through the middle it has left a huge space in front of our right back that was ripe for exploitation. Bristol sussed this and switched their most dynamic forward player to that flank and for half an hour or so Adomah gave Moore a pretty rough time. A better side than Bristol would have made more of it.

NFP switched Knockaert and Dyer and gave Dyer the job of covering Moore, worked well enough defensively but at a cost, our attacking play was never as penetrative again as it was in the first quarter.

NFP has 'form' for this, he played a more defensive form of this formation during the playoff season and when the pressure was on he quickly converted to a 4-5-1, with the wide midfield players given onorous defensive duties and our attacking play largely grinding to a halt as a result.

Interesting to see how things go over the next few games…… :dunno:

I think we should sack Nige and employ you as the new manager Dave.

I mean, we are only second in the league, have offloaded some of our more expensive players and seem to be playing some of the best football I've seen a City team play for years.

Pearson out, Marbella in...

:whistle:

Despite the posts on here and elswhere suggesting that we have been playing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, the reality is that we have been playing 4-4-2.

Okay, it is a skewed and somewhat unusual formation but it has been 4-4-2 with our nominal right winger given licence to come inside and fill the void in forward midfield that was so obvious in our earlier games.

With Knockaert playing mostly through the middle it has left a huge space in front of our right back that was ripe for exploitation. Bristol sussed this and switched their most dynamic forward player to that flank and for half an hour or so Adomah gave Moore a pretty rough time. A better side than Bristol would have made more of it.

NFP switched Knockaert and Dyer and gave Dyer the job of covering Moore, worked well enough defensively but at a cost, our attacking play was never as penetrative again as it was in the first quarter.

NFP has 'form' for this, he played a more defensive form of this formation during the playoff season and when the pressure was on he quickly converted to a 4-5-1, with the wide midfield players given onorous defensive duties and our attacking play largely grinding to a halt as a result.

Interesting to see how things go over the next few games…… :dunno:

We countered their only threat in Adomah, and once this was done they never looked like scoring. I genuinely think we were just a bit tired and happy to see the game out rather than having a reduced attacking threat. I do think if we wanted to then we could've gone up a gear or two, but as it was, there wasn't really any need and we comfortably strolled to a 2-0 victory. Some people will use this as a criticism against Nigel, but for me he completely nullified the Bristol City thread and ensured that we did enough to get the victory. Despite the tedious nature of large chunks of the game, there's no complaints from me.

We countered their only threat in Adomah, and once this was done they never looked like scoring. I genuinely think we were just a bit tired and happy to see the game out rather than having a reduced attacking threat. I do think if we wanted to then we could've gone up a gear or two, but as it was, there wasn't really any need and we comfortably strolled to a 2-0 victory. Some people will use this as a criticism against Nigel, but for me he completely nullified the Bristol City thread and ensured that we did enough to get the victory. Despite the tedious nature of large chunks of the game, there's no complaints from me.

Spot on.....

I seriously can't recollect a chance they had in the second half?

We were it total control of that football match and made an ok Brizzle side look very very lame.

We switched to 4-2-3-1 when Vardy was subbed yesterday so clearly we don't just play 4-4-2.

If our right winger is given a free role in a 4-4-2 as Knockaert was for the first half yesterday then if we have defensive issue down that wing its not his fault, hes been given a free role, one of our CMs has to cover for our absent right winger on defensive transitions.

Moore would have been out played by Bristol's no 27 even if he had Park Ji-Sung infront of him, their player was simply faster and a better footballer than Moore, much as it may suprise our fans but sometimes oppostion players are better than ours. Bristol never actually sussed this out, so to say, Adomah played on the left of their front 3 through out the match, and he played very well against Moore, so much so that when he lined up on the right wing when they took to the pitch in the second half I was very suprised, however within 30 seconds he was back on the left wing.

Don't really see the point of this post, your intial premise is wrong and you seem to be making the obvious point that if you give a player a free role outside of a no 9 or 10 then attacking down his flank will be easier, which, frankly, I'm sure NP understands and is just something you have sacrifice for giving your best players such freedom. We actually created just as many chances in the second half as then first, despite the "defensive" formation change, in both halves the reason we didn't score 3 was poor finishing, in the first it was Nugent's fault in the second Knockaert missed them.

Your point about the void in attacking midfield that Knockartf fills is good and highlights the one major issue we have, neither Nugent or Vardy are forwards who come deep, which you absolutely need to play in a 4-4-2. Nugent should be capable of doing this but doesn't seem to and Vardy probably isn't, both of them took turns doing this yesterday but neither did it consistently which we really need, I think Pearson would like Nugent to play the deeper of the two but doesn't want to scarifice his finshing ability when it comes to goals such as the one he scored yesterday (i.e capitalising on mistakes). Irnonically the answer to this would be to play something other than 4-4-2, with Knockaert as a no 10 and a right winger who stays on his flank, but we clearly don't play that way, such fancy European formations aren't for proper English clubs....

I think we should sack Nige and employ you as the new manager Dave.

I mean, we are only second in the league, have offloaded some of our more expensive players and seem to be playing some of the best football I've seen a City team play for years.

Pearson out, Marbella in...

:whistle:

Any idiot can point out issues when things are going wrong, avoiding them by identifying them early when things are still going well is the trick. The set up of our front 4 is still not right in several respects and getting it right will make us even better..... :thumbup:

We normally set up 442 but it was a 4231 formation when Marshall came on for Vardy.

Correct, and the last half hour or so was some of the least effective play we have managed this season...... :dunno:

Second half vs Burnley and against Hull we played 4 2 3 1.

Not as I recall. Sure Vardy and occasionally Nugent and Knockaert 'filled in' on the right, but it was never more than that in my view. The substitutions made a difference though, particularly Waghorn, playing on the right in both games.

Any idiot can point out issues when things are going wrong, avoiding them by identifying them early when things are still going well is the trick. The set up of our front 4 is still not right in several respects and getting it right will make us even better..... :thumbup:

Based on what you've said in this thread so far, it seems any idiot can point out issues when things are going right as well. :whistle:

Correct, and the last half hour or so was some of the least effective play we have managed this season...... :dunno:

Not as I recall. Sure Vardy and occasionally Nugent and Knockaert 'filled in' on the right, but it was never more than that in my view. The substitutions made a difference though, particularly Waghorn, playing on the right in both games.

It's a Sunday afternoon. Are you simply bored Dave?

As I said above, we were in total control of yesterday's match and I think we could have played for hours and Brizzle wouldn't have scored.

Any idiot could see that..

:thumbup:

Never said otherwise, the switch worked beautifully defensively.

My point being that our current starting formation has issues and a poor Bristol side knew exactly how to get after us, if they were not so one dimensional they could have caused us real trouble, better teams will.

That we were comfortable defensively after the switch is undoubtably true, we were in total control so the issues I am pointed out did not matter on the day. On another day they might, and it is best we are prepared...... :thumbup:

As I said above, we were in total control of yesterday's match and I think we could have played for hours and Brizzle wouldn't have scored.

Actually the idiot sitting behind me couldn't tell, he spent the last ten minutes yelping "COME ON" into my left ear everytime one of players did somthing other than skin half their side and put it in the top right corner from 30 yards , i.e. a lot.

How can you claim it was a 4-4-2 when we only had one recognisable striker on the pitch??

it was quite simply a 4-2-3-1 in the second half

----------------------------kasper---------------------------

moore--------morgan-------------Ledger--------------Konch

-----------------Drinky--------------King----------------------

Dyer--------------------Knocky------------------Marshall----

--------------------------Nugent---------------------------------

As others have said we also played this the second half against burnley, and it does make us look a very solid side.

As a result of changing from a 4-4-2 we prevented adomah from having any impact, and retained the ball much better.

The change to a more 'defensive' performance made sense. Our lads have been exhausted after 5 back to back performances similar to what we saw last season at southampton. Pressing the ball in the right areas for 90 mins, and getting countless bodies forward as quick as possible.

The lads have been a credit to the club since the start of the season, and quite rightly deserve a rest.

However, i do feel as though we need to strengthen as the workload is only going to get harder.

Never said otherwise, the switch worked beautifully defensively.

My point being that our current starting formation has issues and a poor Bristol side knew exactly how to get after us, if they were not so one dimensional they could have caused us real trouble, better teams will.

That we were comfortable defensively after the switch is undoubtably true, we were in total control so the issues I am pointed out did not matter on the day. On another day they might, and it is best we are prepared...... :thumbup:

Is it not just a case of playing this game on its merits rather than playing the same way every time?

They were one-dimensional but we made it that way. No doubt we'll set up differently against better teams, as we have done in our away games and set out to take the game from the start.

Based on what you've said in this thread so far, it seems any idiot can point out issues when things are going right as well. :whistle:

Thanks for the support guys....... :P

You must know by now that I am a 'black and white', 'glass half empty' type and I am always looking for the next thing that is going to trip us up. Getting automatic promotion is not going to be easy, we need to realise this and prepare for more difficult challengers to come.

So ...hang on...

We mustn't play like this because of the gap it leaves...but at the same time we must play like this to create chances....isn't that sort of what football is about? Working on your weaknesses and highlighting your strengths?

That is exactly what it is about, getting our most creative player into positions where he can be most effective is the trick, getting a framework right in which we can make the most of his efforts is essential.

A few thoughts that kind of fit here.

At various times over the past few years, plenty of people on this forum have said 4-4-2 or 4-5-1/4-3-3 "doesn't work in this division" or variations of that statement, but teams get promoted playing either or both.

At the moment we are showing greater adaptability, comfort in possession, high pressing, movement off the ball, defensive solidity and counter-attacking threat than I can remember for years, and you can achieve all of those with either formation.

At the end of last season I thought Marshall was practically our only exciting player. Now he justifiably can't get in the team.

I don't see the point of saying "a better team than Bristol City" would have done this or that. We've played teams on good runs and deservedly won on numerous occasions already this season.

Given that we kept losing players to injury yesterday, it was pleasing to see us demonstrate we still have depth in the squad despite sending a few players out on loan.

I've seen so many Leicester sides over the years dominate a game and fail to win after conceding ground late on that it was actually strangely pleasant to watch us stroll the latter stages yesterday, even if it killed the atmosphere a bit.

Thanks for the support guys....... :P

You must know by now that I am a 'black and white', 'glass half empty' type and I am always looking for the next thing that is going to trip us up. Getting automatic promotion is not going to be easy, we need to realise this and prepare for more difficult challengers to come.

That is exactly what it is about, getting our most creative player into positions where he can be most effective is the trick, getting a framework right in which we can make the most of his efforts is essential.

MD don't worry I'll lend you my glass it's always half full :D:beer:

At various times over the past few years, plenty of people on this forum have said 4-4-2 or 4-5-1/4-3-3 "doesn't work in this division" or variations of that statement, but teams get promoted playing either or both.

At the moment we are showing greater adaptability, comfort in possession, high pressing, movement off the ball, defensive solidity and counter-attacking threat than I can remember for years, and you can achieve all of those with either formation.

At the end of last season I thought Marshall was practically our only exciting player. Now he justifiably can't get in the team.

I don't see the point of saying "a better team than Bristol City" would have done this or that. We've played teams on good runs and deservedly won on numerous occasions already this season.

Given that we kept losing players to injury yesterday, it was pleasing to see us demonstrate we still have depth in the squad despite sending a few players out on loan.

I've seen so many Leicester sides over the years dominate a game and fail to win after conceding ground late on that it was actually strangely pleasant to watch us stroll the latter stages yesterday, even if it killed the atmosphere a bit.

I have to concur that is the sign of promotion contenders when you can control a game without hitting second gear, it seems by general consensus that was the case. We have that ruthless winning attitude now and it is pleasing.

How can you claim it was a 4-4-2 when we only had one recognisable striker on the pitch??

it was quite simply a 4-2-3-1 in the second half

----------------------------kasper---------------------------

moore--------morgan-------------Ledger--------------Konch

-----------------Drinky--------------King----------------------

Dyer--------------------Knocky------------------Marshall----

--------------------------Nugent---------------------------------

As others have said we also played this the second half against burnley, and it does make us look a very solid side.

As a result of changing from a 4-4-2 we prevented adomah from having any impact, and retained the ball much better.

The change to a more 'defensive' performance made sense. Our lads have been exhausted after 5 back to back performances similar to what we saw last season at southampton. Pressing the ball in the right areas for 90 mins, and getting countless bodies forward as quick as possible.

The lads have been a credit to the club since the start of the season, and quite rightly deserve a rest.

However, i do feel as though we need to strengthen as the workload is only going to get harder.

The 4-2-3-1 was only really the case for the final 30 odd minutes, before that we were severely lopsided, first one side then the other.

Your point about workload is important though, our players have to work very hard to keep our pressing play going, Vardy, Nugent, Moore all looked tired and the efforts of our center mids are immense. Hopefully the break will, mostly, give them a ermm, break........ :thumbup:

Thanks Fez, that sums up pretty much how i feel when I am feeling a bit positive....... :appl:

Sadly as a City fan, I tend to embrace these positive feelings very, very carefully.

Thanks Fez, that sums up pretty much how i feel when I am feeling a bit positive....... :appl:

Sadly as a City fan, I tend to embrace these positive feelings very, very carefully.

That's understandable. I am still seeing it as a nice bonus that we are where we are in the league rather than any indication that we will definitely be in the mix for automatic promotion at the end of the season. If we are, great. If not, it won't shock me given how difficult and relentless this division is.

It was just interesting to feel how different the atmosphere was on and off the pitch yesterday compared to the same fixture last season, when everyone was far more tense and expectant.

Edit: 20,000th post. And it's a nice, positive one. Splendid.

Archived