Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The 'Beckford Saga' Part God knows....

Beckford  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Should Beckford return at the earliest opportunity

• Yes
    • No

I tend to agree but I'm worried that neither Vardy, Waghorn or Futacs are capable of scoring the goals required to get us promotion.

I do hope we can get this cleared up.

I agree with getting rid of Beckford. I doubt any player has had this forum so split for so long.

This thread I started is still going!

However, I also agree that neither Vardy, Wags and especially Futacs will score enough goals.

Lets get rid of Jermaine and Danns and go out to sign the right striker to really make a difference.

I tend to agree but I'm worried that neither Vardy, Waghorn or Futacs are capable of scoring the goals required to get us promotion.

Then wouldn't you rather us sign a player who can, rather than bring back an overpaid player who can't score the goals required to get us promotion either?

Say we have to pay Everton another £1-2mil in add-ons if Beckford plays 50 games. Surely, now that we've seen that he can't score consistently at this level, we're better off getting rid and using that £1-2mil and any transfer fee we receive for Beckford on securing players for the team who want to be here and are capable of making a difference?

Then wouldn't you rather us sign a player who can, rather than bring back an overpaid player who can't score the goals required to get us promotion either?

Say we have to pay Everton another £1-2mil in add-ons if Beckford plays 50 games. Surely, now that we've seen that he can't score consistently at this level, we're better off getting rid and using that £1-2mil and any transfer fee we receive for Beckford on securing players for the team who want to be here and are capable of making a difference?

I'd much prefer that, what worries me is that it has been obvious from very early on that we aren't scoring enough goals, this is something that should have been covered by a loan player and then hopefully a permanent in January. Just how many points have we dropped this season due to sitters being missed and Vardy & Waghoen being unlucky because the goalie has once again pulled off wonder saves (which means they kicked/headed the ball to close to him).

I do hope we can get this cleared up.

I agree with getting rid of Beckford. I doubt any player has had this forum so split for so long.

This thread I started is still going!

However, I also agree that neither Vardy, Wags and especially Futacs will score enough goals.

Lets get rid of Jermaine and Danns and go out to sign the right striker to really make a difference.

I agree with you on Waghorn and Futacs. Futacs is a total dud in my opinion and I've no idea why we signed him. I think Waghorn will chip in with about 5 or 6 by the end of the season, but I can see Vardy netting a couple more before Christmas which would put him on track to get at least 10 by the end of the season. If Nugent scores between 15-20, this would give us plenty of goals up front.

I think we could do with someone like Wickham on loan though, to provide a bit of proper competition up front and hopefully chip in with a few extra goals too.

I'd much prefer that, what worries me is that it has been obvious from very early on that we aren't scoring enough goals, this is something that should have been covered by a loan player and then hopefully a permanent in January. Just how many points have we dropped this season due to sitters being missed and Vardy & Waghoen being unlucky because the goalie has once again pulled off wonder saves (which means they kicked/headed the ball to close to him).

True, it's a worry. We must create more chances than most teams in the division and we've not been putting them away. However, if we keep creating these chances, one or more of our strikers are eventually going to go on a run of scoring. It's all abotu confidence - look at Charlie Austin at the minute, before the season started most people would have said he was a fairly decent championship striker, but he's gone on a run where every time he gets onto the pitch, he knows he's probably going to score. Our strikers need that goalscoring run and the confidence it breeds. I think Jamie Vardy is a good finisher, but he thrives when he's confident. I think once he nets a brace or a hattrick, that confidence will grow and we'll see his natural finishing ability return. I still think he can be a key man for us.

But if it doesn't happen, we're going to need to get into the market for someone else. I would imagine Pearson and his team aren't resting on their laurels and they realise that we need to put more chances away. I would be very surprised if they didn't at least have someone in mind.

I agree with you on Waghorn and Futacs. Futacs is a total dud in my opinion and I've no idea why we signed him. I think Waghorn will chip in with about 5 or 6 by the end of the season, but I can see Vardy netting a couple more before Christmas which would put him on track to get at least 10 by the end of the season. If Nugent scores between 15-20, this would give us plenty of goals up front.

I think we could do with someone like Wickham on loan though, to provide a bit of proper competition up front and hopefully chip in with a few extra goals too.

Vardy was and still is the one that gives me the greatest hope.

I do think we need to splash out and get an in-form striker at the club. Not someone 'with potential', not someone 'taking a step down from the Prem'.... But a striker currently scoring goals in the Championship. That would be my key signing in Jan.

I do think we need to splash out and get an in-form striker at the club. Not someone 'with potential', not someone 'taking a step down from the Prem'.... But a striker currently scoring goals in the Championship. That would be my key signing in Jan.

Too inflated market wise, though I suppose it depends who you go for someone like Darius Henderson wouldn't cost the world neither would Chris Wood, the standard in the championship is equivalent to the Belgium and Dutch top division so lets hope Steve Walsh has been on another scouting trip.

The problem is they come at a price and while a lot of them are in-form, there's no guarentee that they could replicate that form for us. Charlie Austin might be scoring most of his goals because of Burnley's style of play - if we play completely differently then maybe he wouldn't score nearly as much? I think splashing out big money - because that's what it would take - on a Championship striker during January has to be a very considered move.

The problem is they come at a price and while a lot of them are in-form, there's no guarentee that they could replicate that form for us. Charlie Austin might be scoring most of his goals because of Burnley's style of play - if we play completely differently then maybe he wouldn't score nearly as much? I think splashing out big money - because that's what it would take - on a Championship striker during January has to be a very considered move.

Two points:

1. It wouldn't take big money. Millwall are skint and if we went for Henderson or Wood, for example, we'd get them for not a lot of money.

2. Do our tactics have to be so set in stone that we can't alter them around to accommodate good players? I suggested in the summer that the only way we could get the best out of Beckford was if we played the ball on the floor in an attacking formation. Also, to sign a key midfielder (Koren) to provide him with the ammo.

What do then do? Stick with the 4-4-2 and play Beckford who, surprise surprise, looked rubbish.

I think Nige sticks with his 'tried and trusted' a little excessively sometimes.

Finally, what's with this 'too inflated'?

Spend what? A million on Henderson or 3 mill on King? And if played properly this could result in us getting promoted.

That's 75 mill minus 3 equals 72 mill...

I'm not saying lets go mad, but why not speculate a little this season? Are we skint as a club?

Two points:

1. It wouldn't take big money. Millwall are skint and if we went for Henderson or Wood, for example, we'd get them for not a lot of money.

2. Do our tactics have to be so set in stone that we can't alter them around to accommodate good players? I suggested in the summer that the only way we could get the best out of Beckford was if we played the ball on the floor in an attacking formation. Also, to sign a key midfielder (Koren) to provide him with the ammo.

What do then do? Stick with the 4-4-2 and play Beckford who, surprise surprise, looked rubbish.

I think Nige sticks with his 'tried and trusted' a little excessively sometimes.

Spend what? A million on Henderson or 3 mill on King? And if played properly this could result in us getting promoted.

I'm not saying lets go mad, but why not speculate a little this season? Are we skint as a club?

Wood is on loan. We could get him for less than £1.5 million from West Brom.

All I'm saying is, it would have to be the right player. And speculate a little? We've probably spent the best part of £5 million on players over the summer just gone about probably north of £10 million last season - I think we've been speculating enough, and it hasn't exactly paid off so far. I want reasoned, thought out and considered signings who are going to fit into our club, bond with the rest of the team, buy into the way we play and actually want to be at the club - that's the right way to do things in my mind. I don't think a 'quick-fix' ever really does anyone any good.

EDIT: And I wouldn't want Marlon King, regardless of how many goals he would potentially score. Principles comes before footballing success and I don't want a repeat offender who never seems to have learned his lesson at my club. The fact that he beats women tells you everything you need to know about him and his attitude as a person. Cowardly, bullying scumbag.

Two points:

Who cares who is around for whatever value

We've got Vardy to come back who's scored 1 in 2.25 games... not a million miles away from 1 in 2 target for a real top goal scorer and that's not taking into account the rest of Vardy's impressive game. Much better than last season's 1 in 3.3 striker who had nothing else to his game.

Waghorn showed he can stand-in, Schlupp looked incredibly sharp on Saturday too, I've no doubt he could also stand-in.

We've got the players, don't understand this constant desire to bring faces in.

Who cares who is around for whatever value

We've got Vardy to come back who's scored 1 in 2.25 games... not a million miles away from 1 in 2 target for a real top goal scorer and that's not taking into account the rest of Vardy's impressive game. Much better than last season's 1 in 3.3 striker who had nothing else to his game.

Waghorn showed he can stand-in, Schlupp looked incredibly sharp on Saturday too, I've no doubt he could also stand-in.

We've got the players, don't understand this constant desire to bring faces in.

I remain unconvinced by him if he gets on the score sheet a couple of times more than 9 goals than yeah fair does, Schlupp is being utilized as a LB and that could be his position now covering for Konchesky. We need a striker, most of the teams that you would expect to be in the playoffs or top 2 have 3 strikers of decent quality we only have 2 we need one more imo.

All I'm saying is, it would have to be the right player. And speculate a little? We've probably spent the best part of £5 million on players over the summer just gone about probably north of £10 million last season - I think we've been speculating enough, and it hasn't exactly paid off so far. I want reasoned, thought out and considered signings who are going to fit into our club, bond with the rest of the team, buy into the way we play and actually want to be at the club - that's the right way to do things in my mind. I don't think a 'quick-fix' ever really does anyone any good.

EDIT: And I wouldn't want Marlon King, regardless of how many goals he would potentially score. Principles comes before footballing success and I don't want a repeat offender who never seems to have learned his lesson at my club. The fact that he beats women tells you everything you need to know about him and his attitude as a person. Cowardly, bullying scumbag.

I do find this whole Marlon King thing fascinating.

He hasn't offended for 3 years now so neither you nor I know whether he has decided to become a 'better man'.

His goals to games ratio is better than any of our current strikers and in this current campaign, he's on 8 for the season in a pretty dog awful Brum side.

I suggested King based upon his on pitch stats. He's big and still quick and is a good finisher.

Fair enough, you may wish to cast him asunder with the sodomites, so lets move on then cos he wasn't the only striker I suggested.

I still have hope for Vardy but lets be realistic. His stats are poor. He's on 2 for the season when many other strikers in the division are already nearer 10. And, you know and I know that he's missed some sitters.

Make no bones about it, for City to be promoted this season requires SOMEBODY other than Nuge to be scoring goals on a relatively regular basis.

It would be such a shame to miss out again this season because the number in the 'goals for' demonstrates a shortage of clinical finishing.

Take a peek back at Pearsons first tenure in this division and you will see that was exactly the reason we finished 6th that year and failed to defeat a Cardiff side on our own patch who were pretty much there for the taking.

I hope history doesn't repeat itself for the want of a couple of million quid, potentially.

He hasn't offended for 3 years now so neither you nor I know whether he has decided to become a 'better man'.

His goals to games ratio is better than any of our current strikers and in this current campaign, he's on 8 for the season in a pretty dog awful Brum side.

I suggested King based upon his on pitch stats. He's big and still quick and is a good finisher.

Fair enough, you may wish to cast him asunder with the sodomites, so lets move on then cos he wasn't the only striker I suggested.

I still have hope for Vardy but lets be realistic. His stats are poor. He's for 2 for the season when many other strikers in the division are already nearer 10. And, you know and I know that he's missed some sitters.

Make no bones about it, for City to be promoted this season requires SOMEBODY other than Nuge to be scoring goals on a relatively regular basis.

It would be such a shame to miss out again this season because the number in the 'goals for' demonstrates a shortage of clinical finishing.

Take a peek back at Pearsons first tenure in this division and you will see that was exactly the reason we finished 6th that year and failed to defeat a Cardiff side on our own patch who were pretty much there for the taking.

I hope history doesn't repeat itself for the want of a couple of million quid, potentially.

That's it, now I know you're a WUM on this.

How is 1 goal every 2.25 games poor... 1 in 2 is the much fabled figure

Then there's the rest of his game, which has been nothing short of amazing as far as team is concerned.

He looks to have it all and still people can't support him instead lusting after some other club's players, FoxesTalk is just bizarre.

Sorry, I frequently nod my head in agreement with you but this is just clueless lunacy.

That's it, now I know you're a WUM on this.

How is 1 goal every 2.25 games poor... 1 in 2 is the much fabled figure

Then there's the rest of his game, which has been nothing short of amazing as far as team is concerned.

He looks to have it all and still people can't support him instead lusting after some other club's players, FoxesTalk is just bizarre.

Sorry, I frequently nod my head in agreement with you but this is just clueless lunacy.

There's little point discussing much with you this season CC...

You seem to be so reluctant to even discuss where improvements may be made to the squad that you just come across as completely predictable.

Last season you were interesting... Frequently criticising Beckford and suggesting where we might be going wrong.

This season you are like a broken record, slating anybody who tries to consider alternatives with such vitriol that its almost bizarre.

Ive made it clear.. Of the players we have up front, Vardy is my favourite. However, I'm not convinced he's gonna play enough and score enough to make it tell.

So I'd like us to sign another striker, proven at this level, and who is on form.

If you don't agree with that, well based upon you're last reply I couldn't give a flying Fook.

There's little point discussing much with you this season CC...

You seem to be so reluctant to even discuss where improvements may be made to the squad that you just come across as completely predictable.

Last season you were interesting... Frequently criticising Beckford and suggesting where we might be going wrong.

This season you are like a broken record, slating anybody who tries to consider alternatives with such vitriol that its almost bizarre.

Ive made it clear.. Of the players we have up front, Vardy is my favourite. However, I'm not convinced he's gonna play enough and score enough to make it tell.

So I'd like us to sign another striker, proven at this level, and who is on form.

If you don't agree with that, well based upon you're last reply I couldn't give a flying Fook.

You compare facts and backed up observations with vitriol?

Vardy has shown to be important member of the team, he makes others play better, formed a partnership, played well with his nearest winger and allowed the midfield to join in with attacks... How attacking have King & Drinky looked in Vardy's absence?

Not only all that, but he's scored goals too... 1 in 2.25 is good, no? And he's been denied by officials and the odd keeper putting in a once a season performance

This desire to not support someone doing the business and instead lusting after someone else is counter-productive... and to say Vardy's return is poor when all evidence points to the opposite is just bizarre.

Change for changes sake... bring it on, the playing staff revolving door policy of the past ten years has worked so well.

I have the opposite view of Whitbread though who hasn't shown anything other than he can head a ball aimlessly 1 hundred feet in the air and has proved to a reason for our goals against column clocking up where it was previously more safe

You compare facts and backed up observations with vitriol?

Vardy has shown to be important member of the team, he makes others play better, formed a partnership, played well with his nearest winger and allowed the midfield to join in with attacks... How attacking have King & Drinky looked in Vardy's absence?

Not only all that, but he's scored goals too... 1 in 2.25 is good, no? And he's been denied by officials and the odd keeper putting in a once a season performance

This desire to not support someone doing the business and instead lusting after someone else is counter-productive... and to say Vardy's return is poor when all evidence points to the opposite is just bizarre.

Change for changes sake... bring it on, the playing staff revolving door policy of the past ten years has worked so well.

He's also missed some sitters and hasn't played much in the last month...

And has 2 for the season when Charlie Austin, for example is on 13.... And Mackail-Smith is on 10... And.....

Change for changes sake? So you'd have stuck with Sousa and Sven then would you?

Or Beckford, or Danns or....

Oh forget it, I'm being 'moronic'...

:thumbup:

Why do I need to name 10 star players to justify Beckford being shit? The only person who is trying to justify Beckford being a poor footballer around here is you. All of the players you mentioned above put in far better showings than Beckford did, despite the fact that only Schmeichel had a particularly good season.

Bore off back to that rock under which you were hiding when we'd won 6 of the last 7 and were top of the league.

What a lovely person you seem oh warrior of the keyboard - so everyone was better than him last season - you are missing the point or just a bit retarded - no one was bathed in glory last season and with only four showings this year how can you be so sure he wouldn't find his form? He's starting to find it again now he has left here or don't those goals count?

Like Indierich, you are all so nasty when you don't get your own way

Scoring goals?

DONT GIVE A SHIT

He's clearly not in Pearson's plans and having read between the lines on the Mills saga, I'm willing to bet the players have the same view for this over-rated big-time charlie.

I don't want him anywhere near the team.

Oh I agree that as a player, he would be a good signing for us. However, I still don't want him at the club. 14 convictions for various offences shows that he's got no shame or remorse about what he's done and I have no respect for a man who hits women and I never will. At some point you have to put principles ahead of the success of your football club - I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, I certainly don't want my ticket money going towards paying him thousands of pounds every week.

I agree with your suggestions that we could do with a proven Championship striker, but I don't want a repeat offender who beats women at my football club.

I still have hope for Vardy but lets be realistic. His stats are poor. He's on 2 for the season when many other strikers in the division are already nearer 10.

He's on 3, which isn't too bad really, but obviously it could be better. However, if you look at the top scorers in the league, there are only 7 players with more goals than Nugent (8 goals or more). Of these seven players, just one of them plays for a club in the top six - Glen Murray, and he's got about 5 penalties to his name so far this season. So maybe there are strikers with a few more goals to their names, but our current situation suggests we've got the better team as a whole, than these sides who rely on the goals of one player, which to me is very encouraging.

Huddersfield have a guy on the much fabled 1 in 2 at the moment, perhaps we could get him on loan

11 games, 3 goals is hardly 1 in 2. He's on the same number of goals as Jamie Vardy, but according to some, Beckford is a goal machine and Vardy can't cut it in the Championship?

Like Indierich, you are all so nasty when you don't get your own way

Oi. I extended the olive branch to you the other day, don't be a meanie.

Archived