Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The 'Beckford Saga' Part God knows....

Beckford  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Should Beckford return at the earliest opportunity

• Yes
    • No

As a Town fan i'd love it if we signed him perm in Jan. Scored 3 in 6 games for us and put in few great displays with the winner on sat despite just coming back from an injury. Seems to have won over the majority of Town fans (personally i couldn't stand him at Leeds, though that was mainly cos he was at Leeds. Now, Cos i'm a football fan and its my divine right to be a fickle tw@t i'm a big fan of him :) ). What sort of money do you think he'd go for? Plus is it right he's on 40k a week with you cos there's no way we'd offer near that i wouldn't have thought.

As a Town fan i'd love it if we signed him perm in Jan. Scored 3 in 6 games for us and put in few great displays with the winner on sat despite just coming back from an injury. Seems to have won over the majority of Town fans (personally i couldn't stand him at Leeds, though that was mainly cos he was at Leeds. Now, Cos i'm a football fan and its my divine right to be a fickle tw@t i'm a big fan of him :) ). What sort of money do you think he'd go for? Plus is it right he's on 40k a week with you cos there's no way we'd offer near that i wouldn't have thought.

Apparently he took a wage cut to join you lot, but you're still paying a massive amount of his wages.

He's been quite average for us really, not the goal machine everyone was hoping for when he signed. Plus he's not a massive team player and when things aren't going his way he gets stroppy, when he gets dropped he gets stroppy. We just dont need a disruptive influence like that in the side, expecially if he's not scoring enough either. I don't think he fits our style of play now - definitely more suited to a direct game, working off a big man up front.

I reckon you could probs get him for 750k, if Nigel wants rid I doubt we'd hang around for more. And nobody is completely sure of the wages, I reckon it's c. 30k a week. Unsure of how you'd get around that issue, doubt he'd take more than a small wage cut permanently.

I reckon you could probs get him for 750k, if Nigel wants rid I doubt we'd hang around for more. And nobody is completely sure of the wages, I reckon it's c. 30k a week. Unsure of how you'd get around that issue, doubt he'd take more than a small wage cut permanently.

Still to spend any of the £8mill we got for Rhodes so i'd jump at 750k if possible. Wages could def be the stumbling block tho. TBH where we're at at the moment he's more than good enough for us. Him and James Vaughan (who is class) were starting to look really good together. Naturally Vaughan has got injured and is out for a bit now. Been impressed with Beckfords work rate. Thought he'd be a bit of a big time charlie and not chase down the keeper etc... but i cant fault his attitude/commitment so far. Grayson seemed to get best out of him at the scum so hopefuly its the same case here

Aye aye!

I thought you were the forum's social conscience?

Willing to give people lotsa chances?

Hypocrite!

lol

How many chances do you want to give him?

I like players at the club who seem to be decent people, I can cope with not signing Marlon King,

That's the ultimate question for me Mack....

Why would a player want to leave City to play for Huddersfield? The only answer can be Grayson and first team football I suspect.

I'm no fan of Beckford, but Huddersfield lie one point behind us in the table. Please Nigel don't do another DJ Campbell and gift a rival club a player who looks to be happy and scoring goals.

Because he was sent to play with the kids I would imagine.

City fan from Huddersfield here. My kids are Town fans so watch them most weeks. Beckford's work rate has been very impressive, chasing everything and generally putting defenders under pressure. Grayson does appear to get the best from him and he is on course to finish with 15-20 goals for the season, a decent enough return. He was a typical Sven impulse signing for City (30k a week ,laughable) but I have never seen him play for City so can't really offer an opinion. Would surely score more than Vardy or Waghorn but these two bring other things to the team. Still looks like he'll be a Town player come January!

Palace top scorer 13

Middlesborough top scorer has 5

Cardiff top scorer has 7

Hull top scorer has 6

Leicester top scorer 7

Huddersfield top scorer 4

So, aside from Palace, we're keeping pace in terms of a goalscorer. Austin may be on fire but Burnley are still only 13th. A new striker does not sort all problems, especially if that striker is Beckford.

And Murray has 5 or 6 penalties so really we're bang on! What the **** are people moaning about? We're not taking chances but that's a combined issue.

I dont think he'll be a terrier player in January....

He was happy to take a huge pay cut , i believe, as he knows he has the opportunity to impress people... only so many you can impress sitting on the bench!...

If he continues to do well then I wouldnt be suprised if a struggling prem team come in for him in Jan as they are the sort who would be willing to take a risky punt on his wages...

I'm not so sure Huddersfield can afford him in the long run....

City fan from Huddersfield here. My kids are Town fans so watch them most weeks. Beckford's work rate has been very impressive, chasing everything and generally putting defenders under pressure. Grayson does appear to get the best from him and he is on course to finish with 15-20 goals for the season, a decent enough return. He was a typical Sven impulse signing for City (30k a week ,laughable) but I have never seen him play for City so can't really offer an opinion. Would surely score more than Vardy or Waghorn but these two bring other things to the team. Still looks like he'll be a Town player come January!

I think 15-20 is a bit optimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got 10-15 for you. The first problem with him as that he had two or three terrible games for us at the start of the season and was rightly dropped, but then he threw his toys out the pram and decided he wanted to move rather than wait for his chance to come back into the side - and it would have come soon enough with the injuries we've had. He's no use to us at all if he doesn't want to be here and if he's causing trouble because he thinks a starting place is his god-given right.

The second problem with him is that he really wouldn't be effective for us due to the way we play at the minute IMO. He seems to get his best chances from working the channels, working off his strike partner - I feel he's very much more suited to a more direct game - not that I'm suggesting you just play hoofball all the time, but I think your style of football is more direct than ours. Ironically, I think he would have thrived in NP's last Leicester side who played a very direct game.

I think we need to get another striker in, especially if Nugent is injured for any serious length of time. Vardy has scored about the same amount as Beckford so far, so the sooner he gets back the better and Waghorn has shown some very encouraging signs over the past few games, but he's lacking confidence and is ultimately snatching at a lot of his chances. Having said that, he was only denied by a clearance off the line and a great save from camp on Saturday. I'm sure he'll be back amongst the goals soon.

A few people on here would like Beckford to come back, but it's just not practical IMO. He's a bit too inconsistent and if he came back here, he'd have to spend some time on the bench once our first choice strikeforce of Nugent and Vardy are both available and it appears he's not prepared to sit on the bench. We can't guarentee him first team football every week, so we're probably better off leaving him with you and getting rid in January, then we can use the money freed up by his wages - and hopefully a decent transfer fee - to make some improvements to our squad.

Pearson's been extremely shrewd in the loan market before now and I'd much rather he brought in a player on loan than bring back one who simply doesn't want to be here at the minute.

I think 15-20 is a bit optimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got 10-15 for you. The first problem with him as that he had two or three terrible games for us at the start of the season and was rightly dropped, but then he threw his toys out the pram and decided he wanted to move rather than wait for his chance to come back into the side - and it would have come soon enough with the injuries we've had. He's no use to us at all if he doesn't want to be here and if he's causing trouble because he thinks a starting place is his god-given right.

The second problem with him is that he really wouldn't be effective for us due to the way we play at the minute IMO. He seems to get his best chances from working the channels, working off his strike partner - I feel he's very much more suited to a more direct game - not that I'm suggesting you just play hoofball all the time, but I think your style of football is more direct than ours. Ironically, I think he would have thrived in NP's last Leicester side who played a very direct game.

I think we need to get another striker in, especially if Nugent is injured for any serious length of time. Vardy has scored about the same amount as Beckford so far, so the sooner he gets back the better and Waghorn has shown some very encouraging signs over the past few games, but he's lacking confidence and is ultimately snatching at a lot of his chances. Having said that, he was only denied by a clearance off the line and a great save from camp on Saturday. I'm sure he'll be back amongst the goals soon.

A few people on here would like Beckford to come back, but it's just not practical IMO. He's a bit too inconsistent and if he came back here, he'd have to spend some time on the bench once our first choice strikeforce of Nugent and Vardy are both available and it appears he's not prepared to sit on the bench. We can't guarentee him first team football every week, so we're probably better off leaving him with you and getting rid in January, then we can use the money freed up by his wages - and hopefully a decent transfer fee - to make some improvements to our squad.

Pearson's been extremely shrewd in the loan market before now and I'd much rather he brought in a player on loan than bring back one who simply doesn't want to be here at the minute.

I cant agree with any of that.

He was'nt great, but was'nt terrible early on this term, but he was'nt the only one either.

Also no one knows if he wanted out and was then put with the kids or whether he was put with the kids then wanted out.

I think what I and others need to accept is he is not a Pearson type player, and that is the reason he wont come back.

I am sure however he will score plenty for Huddersfield at our expense financially and in the league table.

Huddersfield want a season long loan provided they stump up the cash and both sides can come to an agreement than it is fine by me but we do need a replacement come January at the very latest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20310553

Huddersfield chairman Dean Hoyle has said the club would like to keep striker Jermaine Beckford until the end of the season at least.

The 28-year-old has scored three goals in six games since joining the Terriers on loan from Leicester until January.

"I think Jermaine's view is he'd probably like to stay with us for the season and hopefully that can be arranged," Hoyle told BBC Radio Leeds.

"He loves it here and gets on very well with Simon Grayson."

Hoyle continued: "Jermaine is a fantastic character. Before I met him I thought he had a bit of an attitude but since I met him, he's been a cracking guy. We'd like him to be around longer term but ultimately it's Leicester's call."

He was'nt great, but was'nt terrible early on this term, but he was'nt the only one either.

Also no one knows if he wanted out and was then put with the kids or whether he was put with the kids then wanted out.

I think what I and others need to accept is he is not a Pearson type player, and that is the reason he wont come back.

I am sure however he will score plenty for Huddersfield at our expense financially and in the league table.

Stop going on about being put with the kids. ANY player not picked in the match day squad trains with those who aren't. Whether it's Schlupp, Waghorn, Gallagher, Wellens.

Before I start - I've been criticised recently for being a bit too confrontational and for chastising people who don't agree with me in my posts - this isn't meant to be the case here at all. These are just my opinions on why I believe Beckford isn't playing for the club and why it's not the end of the world. A lot of people seem very quick to blame Pearson for Beckford's move to Huddersfield and in my humble opinion, I think there's a lot more to it than Beckford 'not being a Pearson player' or Pearson 'not being able to handle big name players' - these arguments all seem quite lame and without substance to me. So if you want, read my thoughts below and if you disagree, feel free to respond - This message has been brought to you by the all-new, family-friendly version of IndieRich06

Well it's just my opinion, but I thought he was extremely ineffective against both Charlton and Peterborough, and once Nugent came back into the side, we improved. I agree though - he wasn't the only one who performed badly at the start of the season. It's my opinion that it was Beckford's reaction to not being automatic first choice that was the biggest factor in his decision to leave - Nugent was benched at the start of the season and apart from a few snarky twitter comments, he bided his time and now he's playing week in, week out. I don't think Beckford was forced out, or frozen out of the first team - he still made the bench for most games before he left. He just didn't want to be a squad player or wait for his chance to come back around in the first team and subsequently decided he wanted to a club - and no offence to Huddersfield at all here - where he would be top dog and playing week in, week out.

As for training with the kids - many have said on here before, the only time first team players train with what is essentially the reserve squad ('the kids' seems a little misleading to me) is when they're not included in the match day squad. It's not some weird punishment, or Pearson being a nob, it's because in the latter part of the week, the matchday squad focuses on match preparation and there's no point in players training for matches where they aren't going to feature. The only time he wasn't in the first team squad was for the Hull game, right before he went to Huddersfield, so he wasn't 'training with the kids' all the time.

If he really wasn't a 'Pearson type player' then why didn't we sell him during the summer and wash our hands of him? Why did he start the season as first choice? Why did Pearson play him in so many games last season? The 'not a Pearson player' argument doesn't really wash with me. The fact that we made no attempt to sell him over the summer suggests to me that Pearson was happy to keep Beckford as long as he was happy to stay. Of course, I don't know if we did make moves to sell him over the summer, but even if we did and no-one was interested it seems strange that we would then start the season with him as first choice? It was reported last season that Pearson based entire training sessions around getting the best out of Jermaine Beckford - why would he do this for a player who he didn't want at the club? Again, to me, it seems that Pearson was happy to keep him until Beckford decided he didn't want to stay and at that point he was moved on.

Well if reports are to be believed, he's taken a wage cut to join Huddersfiled and they're paying the remainder of his wages. So it sounds like it's actually benefiting us financially to have him at Huddersfield. He's managed a very meagre 3 goals in 11 games so far this season, that's not the kind of goalscoring form we should be worried about and if we harbour any hopes of promotion, automatic or via the playoffs, then it's down to us to ensure that we do it, not worrying about what a player who doesn't want to play for us is doing at another club - we are masters of our own destiny, it won't matter if Beckford scores 500 goals this season, if we don't finish in the top two or the playoffs, it will be down to us, not down to Jermaine Beckford. It's like DJ Campbell all over again; he doesn't want to be at the club, he's not prepared to play second fiddle to anyone, there's nothing that's going to change that.

Why are we even bothering talking about him, he's not in Pearsons plans.......people will be asking for DJ to come back!!!

Because, until Huddersfield stump up the cash to buy him, which looks unlikely as they have just asked for a loan extension till the end of the season which basically means we've lost 3 million quid, he's still a Leicester player.

Because, until Huddersfield stump up the cash to buy him, which looks unlikely as they have just asked for a loan extension till the end of the season which basically means we've lost 3 million quid, he's still a Leicester player.

Still don't get it Yorkie, it's more then likely he will never put a city shirt on again, £3mill is down the pan and as far as Pearson is concerned he may aswell not be a city player.

But what do I know, if you guys want to carry on, please don't let me get in the way!!! :thumbup:

Archived