Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

105 corners

It's a shame really! Though we aren't the biggest of sides. Under Oneill we had 3 centre backs and heskey or Marshall. As people have said guppy, izzet and not forgetting Lennon and Parker were are great from dead balls.

I remember wenger saying we were the best at set pieces in Europe at one point.

I don't think the players we have in the box for set-pieces have the belief and desire that they're the ones who are going to get their head on the ball. Under MON, we didn't need to practise set-pieces as we had Walsh, Elliott and Taggart, all big men who when in the box for a set-piece were thinking, "I'm going to get my head on this ahead of anybody else." I don't feel we have players with that same will and desire who are going to make sure it's their head on the end of the cross.

I always thought Gallagher's corners were pretty hopeless.

Loved the set pieces under Adams; pretending to take the free kick, Scowcroft looking naffed off and then drifting to the far post, often unmarked. Not sure why don't do that again, seemed quite effective, especially at this level.

Loved the set pieces under Adams; pretending to take the free kick, Scowcroft looking naffed off and then drifting to the far post, often unmarked. Not sure why don't do that again, seemed quite effective, especially at this level.

We have nobody as good in the air as Scowcroft. We have no threat in the air at all bar Morgan.

Correct, Marshall is the best corner taker we have IMO.

I'm sure more focus could be put on corners in training. We do have players that can get on the end of them. Morgan, SSL when fit, and now Keane (who scored 5 times last season for Man Utd reserves). The trouble is if only one of them is playing, it becomes pretty easy for the opposition to stop our only threat.

The taking itself has to be better as well though. Gallagher was not good enough. Superb at direct free kicks, but not corners. Knockhaert so far seems to be the same. Marshall can bend a ball in, but has not been playing much recently. That might be part of the problem.

Not sure who took them (possibly Guppy in his second spell) but we went through a phase of drilling corners at real pace... still at head height but really quick and no bend .... they seemed very effective as they are so different to the bending lofted ball that seems to play into the defender's hands.

Archived