Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

105 corners

Definitely something we need to work on.

Our team has moved on miles since the days of Kisnorbo and McAuley, but at least with those two you'd feel semi confident you would produce something from a corner.

Actually, maybe I just noticed it more becuase we never actually scored from open play... :unsure:

Just reading up on the web as this is curious. Seems a longtitudinal (5 year) study suggestes the average number of goals from corners is approximately 0.022 - a goal roughly every ten games !!! Apologies is someone else has already dug this out.

From foxblogger - http://foxblogger.wordpress.com/

105 – Another 16 fruitless corners yesterday takes Leicester’s total of corners without a goal to over 100. It’s now 105 corners since Ben Marshall found the head of Wes Morgan on the opening day of the Championship campaign. Perhaps the payers might want to look closely at the Eagles’ corner routines.

Why would the Raksriaksorns do that? Surely that's Nigel's job? :unsure:

http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2011/05/why-goal-value-of-corners-is-almost.html

It's the article that I think TrentFox is referring to and it's fascinating ..... Corners are almost irrelevant as a goal threat for most teams and across the game in general .... 1 goal every 10 games is rubbish when you consider that you have possession in a position so near to goal in a regular format that you can practise in training.

can we leave 1, preferably 2 players up field when defending them as well please, it really ****ing annoys me to see 11 players in the box when they have a corner, get players like Lloyd Dyer out of the way, seeing as he can't head to save his life anyway, more space for Kasper to claim the ball and less likely to bump a teammate and drop it like Saturday

http://www.soccerbyt...-is-almost.html

It's the article that I think TrentFox is referring to and it's fascinating ..... Corners are almost irrelevant as a goal threat for most teams and across the game in general .... 1 goal every 10 games is rubbish when you consider that you have possession in a position so near to goal in a regular format that you can practise in training.

Always loved that article. Quite why folks cheer when you get a corner is beyond me, you're better off cheering a goal kick for your own side.

Always loved that article. Quite why folks cheer when you get a corner is beyond me, you're better off cheering a goal kick for your own side.

Does seem so counter intuitive though .... I'd have guessed around a 10% probability of a goal from a corner .... You're right though - there's just no point in being excited by them!

can we leave 1, preferably 2 players up field when defending them as well please, it really ****ing annoys me to see 11 players in the box when they have a corner, get players like Lloyd Dyer out of the way, seeing as he can't head to save his life anyway, more space for Kasper to claim the ball and less likely to bump a teammate and drop it like Saturday

I'm all for the Harry Bassett routine of leaving your 4 quickest players on the halfway line - that would really screw the tactics of the opposition up for the first few times. It takes the initiative away from the attacking team too .... makes them worry about defending whilst attacking!

Does seem so counter intuitive though .... I'd have guessed around a 10% probability of a goal from a corner .... You're right though - there's just no point in being excited by them!

The school of thought that corners = goals is about as valid as the idea that zonal marking is for twats. A remnant of the 'foreign goalies are wank because they punch', 'these foreign teams don't like the cold' etc.

I 'think' we were most dangerous from corners under MON and they spent a grand total of no time at all working on corners.

I don't know why people celebrate last minute consolations either.

Hooray for goal difference? Or perhaps the chance to 'run and be free'?

The school of thought that corners = goals is about as valid as the idea that zonal marking is for twats. A remnant of the 'foreign goalies are wank because they punch', 'these foreign teams don't like the cold' etc.

I 'think' we were most dangerous from corners under MON and they spent a grand total of no time at all working on corners.

Hooray for goal difference? Or perhaps the chance to 'run and be free'?

From memory it seemed like we scored loads from corners under MON .... like one in 3 or 4 corners .... but maybe that's just rose tinted memory!

Archived