Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

105 corners

Didn't the same happen last season or the season before, we couldn't score for toffee from corners then we scored about 2 goals in 2 games from corners after a massive drought.

I am surprised the likes of St Ledger and De Laet haven't scored, De Laet has been a threat from corners he seems to get his head on quite a few like Peltier did.

http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2011/05/why-goal-value-of-corners-is-almost.html

It's the article that I think TrentFox is referring to and it's fascinating ..... Corners are almost irrelevant as a goal threat for most teams and across the game in general .... 1 goal every 10 games is rubbish when you consider that you have possession in a position so near to goal in a regular format that you can practise in training.

That was indeed the article - should have referenced it, sorry ! Perhaps a more interesting stat might be whether we are conceding at an above average rate ? How many goals from corners have we conceded this season, anyone ??

We were dangerous from corners under Pleat, Little & O'Neill. The common theme was the far post ball to a late running Steve Walsh attacking the ball in the air. We could work this with big Wes. When we have one routine and opponents start to take notice of it, we could do the same thing at the near post with Whitbread. We need to do something to make opponents worry about putting the ball out for a corner for a change

For those suggesting we leave 3 or 4 players upfront, does that not leave more space for attackers to run into in the box. A reason for there not being many goals scored from corners nowadays is because it almost impossible to get a clean header on target due to pressure from other players, if defended properly of course.

There is a reason why not many managers in world football leave players upfront, no more than 2 anyway.

Our corner taking is average and we simply don't attack them well enough, I would think there'd be more of a threat than there is but clearly not, it ain't good enough.

I agree with this 100%. It is isn't just about having tall players - if tall players aren't very mobile and the opposing defence is well organised, they'll never score. For corners in the air, what you also need is players who are decent in the air (not necessarily tall) and who have the intelligence, mobility, speed & aggression to make attacking runs. The players I'd like to see making better runs and getting on the end of corners are the likes of De Laet and King - both decent in the air, with pace and mobility - though delivery is also an issue (apart from Marshall last season).

For those suggesting we leave 3 or 4 players upfront, does that not leave more space for attackers to run into in the box. A reason for there not being many goals scored from corners nowadays is because it almost impossible to get a clean header on target due to pressure from other players, if defended properly of course.

There is a reason why not many managers in world football leave players upfront, no more than 2 anyway.

Yeah I agree - it has to be the reason .... and it maybe a poor tactic to stick 4 players on the halfway line - but it would be bloody entertaining to see the reaction!!!

http://www.soccerbyt...-is-almost.htmlIt's the article that I think TrentFox is referring to and it's fascinating ..... Corners are almost irrelevant as a goal threat for most teams and across the game in general .... 1 goal every 10 games is rubbish when you consider that you have possession in a position so near to goal in a regular format that you can practise in training.

Interesting article, but I think it's let down by a rather fatal flaw.

Shots and goals created from this particular match situation are defined here as occurring within three touches of a corner.

That is an incredibly narrow definition as to what counts as a goal from a corner.

For comparison, here's the definition used by Opta.

Pattern of play for Goals/Attempts

Set Piece goals/attempts are those where the ball starts from a dead ball situation such as a corner, a free kick, a penalty or a Throw-in and results in a shot before the phase of play has broken down into open play.

The exact point at which it becomes open play is usually clear but set pieces which are cleared and then the ball is put straight back into the penalty area are still deemed to be part of the set piece as the defending team is still positioned to deal with the set play.

Even if we accept the first definition (and that's a big ask) Leicester should still be averaging a goal once every 45 corners. They aren't.

Interesting article, but I think it's let down by a rather fatal flaw.

That is an incredibly narrow definition as to what counts as a goal from a corner.

For comparison, here's the definition used by Opta.

Even if we accept the first definition (and that's a big ask) Leicester should still be averaging a goal once every 45 corners. They aren't.

It's a good point - I looked at the 3 passes definition and thought "is that a fair criteria" but glossed over it as "as good as it could be" ..... But I agree now you've pointed it out - the OPTA one is lots better, if slightly harder to measure as it could be slightly subjective in some circumstances. But yes, overall we should score more from corners whatever the measure!!

http://www.soccerbyt...-is-almost.html

It's the article that I think TrentFox is referring to and it's fascinating ..... Corners are almost irrelevant as a goal threat for most teams and across the game in general .... 1 goal every 10 games is rubbish when you consider that you have possession in a position so near to goal in a regular format that you can practise in training.

Does seem so counter intuitive though .... I'd have guessed around a 10% probability of a goal from a corner .... You're right though - there's just no point in being excited by them!

I get excited because it keeps the pressure up, keeps the ball in the opposition final third and it helps exert our dominance and put them on the back foot.

Against Brighton we had 4 corners in the first 10 minutes all keeping up the pressure and eventually we scored, ok the goal didn't come from a corner but it kept the pressure on they couldn't clear their lines, we had 4 or 5 shots in that time.

I'm all for the Harry Bassett routine of leaving your 4 quickest players on the halfway line - that would really screw the tactics of the opposition up for the first few times. It takes the initiative away from the attacking team too .... makes them worry about defending whilst attacking!

I think we should start by having 1 on the half way line, it is so frustrating to see nobody out there ready to pick up the long clearance, I wouldn't have 4 I would have 2 on the half way line, 2 deeper closer to the area to pick up the loose balls, and the rest defending around the box.

Against Brighton we had 4 corners in the first 10 minutes....

I think we should start by having 1 on the half way line, it is so frustrating to see nobody out there ready to pick up the long clearance, I wouldn't have 4 I would have 2 on the half way line, 2 deeper closer to the area to pick up the loose balls, and the rest defending around the box.

Yeah that really was a good example of keeping the pressure up .... it did seem inevitable that we'd score with that pressure....

Lloyd dyer on the halfway line and probably king midway between the halfway and penalty area would suit me just fine!!

Drives me mad too not having an outlet for the quick counter.

It's not that we haven't scored from a corner in however many, it's the fact we don't even force an effort on target from most of them. I'd be interested to see the stats on how many of these corners were won in the air by a Leicester player, i'd be amazed if more than 15 were.

We should have 8 players all about 20 yards out it would confuse the opposition and push them out but then if we circled them constantly and tried to force low corners in with our players attacking it, I guarantee in 110+ corners we'd have more clear cut chances. Even if teams soon wised up to it, it would be worth trying a few times to see if we can pinch a few goals, we badly need them!!

Our attacking from set pieces, especially corners is fookin woeful! No it's worse than that!

I wonder what Taggart, Elliott and Walshy think of them?

We just don't seem to attack them. However, it's not rocket science.. We are too small to offer any real aerial threat.

To have so many corners and to think 'I bet we get nowhere near scoring from it/them' is ridiculous.

Our attacking from set pieces, especially corners is fookin woeful! No it's worse than that!

I wonder what Taggart, Elliott and Walshy think of them?

We just don't seem to attack them. However, it's not rocket science.. We are too small to offer any real aerial threat.

To have so many corners and to think 'I bet we get nowhere near scoring from it/them' is ridiculous.

have to agree with you there....I always remember in the MON era...that Taggs,Walshy & Elliott would hang about on the edge of the area then run in....dont see that much nowdays with our set pieces tbf.

have to agree with you there....I always remember in the MON era...that Taggs,Walshy & Elliott would hang about on the edge of the area then run in....dont see that much nowdays with our set pieces tbf.

Tbf we also had Steve Guppy who could literally drop a cross on a sixpence..

Some of our corners weren't too bad yesterday, a few of them were punched or caught by Bogdan on his six yard box without a challenge. Also we seem to be shit at getting in the keepers way, blocking him off somehow (without getting caught)

It's not just a Leicester thing though, its surprising how many players struggle to take a corner, even when you watch the best teams they still manage a couple of shite corners per game.

Archived