Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Interesting news topics.

Guest MattP

But Matt I have posted links galore and they have been dismissed as lies. Moose said he had searched and could not find anything. I was just helping him out a little bit. I do not have all the answers or information. The people I mentioned have been researching and compiling reports for over two years. They have the knowledge and expertise not me. I can only pass on so much information. They are a friendly bunch and welcome different views and inquiries. They have more info than I can provide and will do it better than me. I was reluctant about posting the link as I knew what the reaction would be. This is something we should all be concerned with.

Why would the UK press which tbh are Tory backed publish something that puts the govtment in a bad light?

Mods you may as well remove the last few posts as they are going nowhere and the story does not seem to be wanted on this forum. Sorry for posting it. I hope moone on here suffers a disability.

Is that Moose or No one?

They aren't dismissed as lies, they are opinions, just like this is, people won't take opinion as fact. You have just said the UK press is Tory backed which is absolutely ridiculous, if they were so Tory backed why did every single one of them apart from the Telegraph tell us to vote for Blair for 10 years?

They have no choice to be slightly pro-Tory at the minute after what Gordon Brown did. They would look ridiculous if they weren't. Most people's prime concern for elections next year isn't how much money the government wants to throw at the homeless and disabled people.

Edited by MattP

Mods you may as well remove the last few posts as they are going nowhere and the story does not seem to be wanted on this forum. Sorry for posting it. I hope moone on here suffers a disability.

Don't be such a baby. You've posted an opinion piece as fact and just because some people disagree with it you're sulking.

Did you email those people I suggested for the information you wanted? How will you know if you do not ask? Or are you dismissing them without even looking because your opinions are right and cannot be changed.

No, I didn't need to email them, as I'd already established that no credible source of recent suicide statistics exists and that your statement of fact relating to an increase in suicides wasn't based on any real evidence and was likely to be false.

No, I didn't need to email them, as I'd already established that no credible source of recent suicide statistics exists and that your statement of fact relating to an increase in suicides wasn't based on any real evidence and was likely to be false.

What a cop out. :)

Oh well if you are too scared to even ask others for evidence. What have you got to lose? They present the evidence as they see it and you present evidence to disprove it. It is how debates work. The stats were from DWP via FOI act which gave the number of deaths of claimants who had been assessed by ATOS, had benefits removed and died after through many causes including stress resulting in heart attacks and suicides. Are not the DWP own stats not good enough? I do not have the exact figures which is why I recommended some sites that could give further information, If you have not seen these figures how can you be certain they are wrong?

I can only come to the conclusion that you have made your mind up BEFORE seeing evidence and are unwilling to change your views.

Much like creationists who despite being shown counter evidence still believe God did it , the sun travels round the earth and the earth is 6000 years old.

At least I have not resorted to insults.

Don't be such a baby. You've posted an opinion piece as fact and just because some people disagree with it you're sulking.

No It has been suggested I am off with the faeries and hinted that I am a liar. If that is what they base their argument on then I am not worried.

Oh well if you are too scared to even ask others for evidence. What have you got to lose? They present the evidence as they see it and you present evidence to disprove it. It is how debates work. The stats were from DWP via FOI act which gave the number of deaths of claimants who had been assessed by ATOS, had benefits removed and died after through many causes including stress resulting in heart attacks and suicides. Are not the DWP own stats not good enough? I do not have the exact figures which is why I recommended some sites that could give further information, If you have not seen these figures how can you be certain they are wrong?

I can only come to the conclusion that you have made your mind up BEFORE seeing evidence and are unwilling to change your views.

Much like creationists who despite being shown counter evidence still believe God did it , the sun travels round the earth and the earth is 6000 years old.

No idea why I'm getting involved but...

You claim not to have seen the figures yet make a statement as if you have - effectively committing the same crime you accuse MB of.

What a cop out.  :)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/223050/incap_decd_recips_0712.pdf

http://dpac.uk.net/research/

http://ukcarers.net/ukcarersdotnet_004.htm

Some interesting stats and tables taken from DWP own figures and missed by the media

http://dpac.uk.net/category/bbc/

More available on request from http://[email protected] [email protected]

Feel free to email them from the contact page with your questions thoughts and opinions. Post replies  and comments on the web page if you feel they or any of the reports and articles are wrong and are able to provide genuine counter arguments and evidence to disprove anything that goes against your beliefs.

You're asking us to email "Disabled People Against the Cuts"? Can you assure us that it will be a fair and totally unbiased assessment of the facts?

Guest MattP

You're asking us to email "Disabled People Against the Cuts"? Can you assure us that it will be a fair and totally unbiased assessment of the facts?

Oh I'm sure they will be providing the 'full facts'. lol

Yes from a group of people who have experienced hardship and set up the group to let others know how difficult it is for them do do some things in every day life that others take for granted. Some have lost loved ones had ESA stopped and been on the brink of despair. Does that not give them a right to be a little biased? They can give testimonies of others that have suffered. Why else would they set up a group go on marches protest outside government buildings and one member has written a letter a day to Cameron.

So do not expect complete impartiality as I do not expect it in MB. But unless you ask you will not know what their motives are.

http://diaryofansahstrokesurvivor.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/nick-mylegalforum-takes-on-ids/

The Leicester Mercury

Edited by Rincewind

Not sure what you're getting worked up about to be honest Rincey. You said it was a fact that suicides have increased. I asked for a source, you couldn't provide one. I've looked myself, and reliable suicide stats aren't available for the last couple of years. The responses from the FOI requests are interesting but don't prove the point either way and in any case don't relate to up to date stats, because they're not available.

Not sure what kind of debate you're expecting me to get into with this DPAC organisation either. I just want to know if suicides have increased or not, what is there to debate? I'd imagine if they have any suggestion of real evidence that suicides have increased they wouldn't be too shy about releasing it on their website.

Get ready for the apocalypse.

It's a beautiful day here in Iceland. The weather is crisp. Clear skies over almost the whole country. Light breezes. Potential erupting globally-super-dangerous volcano. Chirping birds. The usual

Oh, did I bury the lede that a globally-super-dangerous volcano might be getting ready to go off? Um, yeah, you might want to watch this one just in case...

5144085107_8e6d3a8539.jpg
(Above: Eyjafjallajökull - a "little" volcano - erupting in 2010)

The winter of 1783-1784. The Revolutionary War had just ended, and Benjamin Franklin was puzzling over the nation's bizarre weather. Congress had been delayed getting to Annapolis to vote for the Treaty of Paris because the Chesapeake Bay just wouldn't melt. The Mississippi River froze down to New Orleans, and ice was reported floating in the Gulf of Mexico. Reports from Europe were of a bizarrely hot summer with thick fog that was choking people to death in Scotland, massive hailstones, lightning, and crop failures. The sun was blood-red at noon. Mass starvation that would ultimately kill 1/6ths of Egypt's population took hold due to a historic drought of the Nile. As many as six million people would die from the bizarre weather.

Franklin was one of the few scientists of the era to (almost) correctly speculate as to its cause:

"The cause of this universal fog is not yet ascertained [...] or whether it was the vast quantity of smoke, long continuing, to issue during the summer from Hekla in Iceland, and that other volcano which arose out of the sea near that island, which smoke might be spread by various winds, over the northern part of the world, is yet uncertain."

He, however, had mixed up his Icelandic volcanoes, for it was not Hekla that erupted that year, causing the planet-altering weather, but Laki (Eldgjá). A rift 23 kilometers long opened up in places up to 100 meters wide with lava fountains at times reaching over a kilometers into the air - and it continued erupting for 8 months.

6285579138_33f7911194_z.jpg
(Above: The fissure of Laki, the deadliest volcano in recorded history.)

The total quantity of lava erupted - 14 cubic kilometers - was not that much more than Mount Pinatubo (largest eruption of the 20th century)'s 10 cubic kilometers. But the eruption kicked out a staggering 120 million tons of sulfur dioxide, compared to Pinatubo's 17 million - nearly supervolcano levels. Also unusually, Laki emitted 8 million tons of hydrogen fluoride - normally a trace volcanic gas. These gasses created the "Laki Haze" across Europe. In Iceland, the consequences were most severe - a quarter of the population starved or died of fluoride poisoning, and most of the livestock died. Denmark considered evacuating the entire island.

Is Laki threatening to go off? No. Then why do I mention him?

Because his big sister IS threatening to go off.

Bárðarbunga (BOWR-thar-Boon-kah, "Bárður's Bulge") is part of the same volcanic system, but is much larger than Laki. Barðárbunga stretches out over 200 kilometers long. It has a large eruption every 250-600 years. One of its eruptions before settlers arrived was 21-30 cubic kilometers of lava. Like her little brother Laki, she's associated with massive amounts of toxic gas release.

3422776422_5148a045de_z.jpg?zz=1
(Above: Bárðarbunga, beneath the thick ice sheet of Vatnajökull)

And she's rumbling.

Now, okay - that's what volcanoes do. Far more often than actually going off, they come to life, have a few earthquakes due to shifts not related to the magma, then die down. It's nothing to be concerned about.

Except that's not happening here. This is magma on the move. (note: the Icelandic press normally takes a rather reassuring tone in response to activity in volcanoes, they're not big on hyping things when there's nothing serious at hand) (translation mine)

Could Be A Precursor To An Eruption

"It's clear that this is not exclusively some kind of shifting going on. There is something more at hand, that which we call magma movement which is deeper than 5-10 kilometers. Whether it stops or keeps going will eventually become clear."

This is according to Ari Trausti Guðmundsson, a seismologist interviewed by mbl.is concerning the earthquake storm which has been in progress in Bárðarbunga on the northern side of Vatnajökull since last night. A hundred quakes have been measured since the storm began and the biggest has been around magnitude 3 according to data from the Weather Office. The national police have described a state of uncertainty concering the earthquakes according to conversations with the police in Húsavík and Hvolsvellur

Ari points out that there have often ghappened that there's an influx up to the surface of the volcano and earthquake activity has occurred several years before an eruption happens - for example, in the case of Eyjafjallajökull. "Thus this could be something similar. But on the other hand there's the possibility that it makes it all the way up", he says. He says the center of the quakes is not the middle of the volcanic system, rather east and northeast of its ash falls which are under the ice. If it would erupt there then there would be an ash eruption under Dyngjujökull (glacier). But if it would be a little to northeast then it would be under Dyngjuháls. He says that it's quite possible that an eruption could come although it's not possible to know with certainty at this stage.

"If it becomes imminent, and especially if there are bigger quakes, then then that would be a precursor to an eruption and it would be just a matter of hours. Or even the beginning of an eruption," adds Ari Trausti. For example if the earthquakes would be around 4 to 4,5.

Again - we don't know what it's going to do, only that there's magma on the move right now in an exceedingly dangerous volcano. Of course, it would have the most effect here in Iceland, especially if it erupts under a glacier. That causes something called a jökulhlaup, a scientific term taken from the Icelandic word for it (literally "Glacier Run"). Depending on where it erupts, it could discharge water north, west, or both. West would sent it down rivers where the majority of our hydroelectric power plants are (hydroelectricity provides 75% of our power).

14762959557_e61eef31ca_z.jpg
(Above: Ásbyrgi, carved out in a matter of days by floods moving at a flow rate several times higher than the flood stage of the Amazon River)

This is not an Eyjafjallajökull. Eyjafjallajökull was tiny. Bárðarbunga is a monster. And this is not a normal earthquake swarm. The quantity, scale, and depth of them have never been observed there before by modern equipment on this volcano, and are similar to what was observed in nearby Grímsvötn shortly before it went off. That said:

1) The magma may well stop moving and the quakes die down. Let's hope so!   :)
2) Even if it erupts, huge volcanoes more often give smaller eruptions than their largest ones (although it'd still be a major event).

So let's hope for the best and not worry too much. But this is something people should keep an eye on - even if you don't live in Iceland!

Yes from a group of people who have experienced hardship and set up the group to let others know how difficult it is for them do do some things in every day life that others take for granted. Some have lost loved ones had ESA stopped and been on the brink of despair. Does that not give them a right to be a little biased? They can give testimonies of others that have suffered. Why else would they set up a group go on marches protest outside government buildings and one member has written a letter a day to Cameron.

So do not expect complete impartiality as I do not expect it in MB. But unless you ask you will not know what their motives are.

Ken, being disabled has always been a struggle, ill people dying doesn't only happen when there is a conservative govt. Showing us a website made by people with an axe to grind isn't proof of anything.

Guest MattP

Unfortunately have seen the video. Even worse is you can tell by the accent it's a 'British Muslim' who carried out the act.

Two years ago the Western media were having us believe the Syrian government had kidnapped him, thank god we didn't get involved to arm these animals.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good news story from the DNO site.

From homelessness to fashion entrepreneur

Posted on August 29, 2014

From The Barking and Dagenham Press:

A budding businessman who found himself homeless as a teenager is hoping to take the fashion industry by storm with the launch of his own clothing line.

See more here

Edited by Rincewind

I think it'll quite taxing in the Ross family bedroom for a while.

Indeed, this could dog them for a long time. 

I see his wife stood by him while all this was going on. What did she want to see stuff like that for, and why didn't she intervene? Get the other bloke by the scruff of the neck for leading her husband astray?

And people talk about a dog being a man's best friend...

Still reckon the press should stop hounding them, though....or am I barking up the wrong tree?

• Like 1

Indeed, this could dog them for a long time. 

I see his wife stood by him while all this was going on. What did she want to see stuff like that for, and why didn't she intervene? Get the other bloke by the scruff of the neck for leading her husband astray?

And people talk about a dog being a man's best friend...

Still reckon the press should stop hounding them, though....or am I barking up the wrong tree?

No no no I'm all punned out today after the Rivers thread. Anyway, at least he can always call his brother if he gets chucked out and needs a woof over his head.

• Like 1

Bedroom tax? Where did I say that? There are other things beside the bedroom tax to worry about.

Any time someone posts a story that isn't your usual misery porn you say it's to distract us from real issues, as if there's never any bad news in the papers, as if the govt could tell the press what to print anyway.

You've bored the arse off us with your half baked tales of woe. Sometimes people just want to read something else.Change the record.

Edited by Webbo
  • Like 1