Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Interesting news topics.

Identify of the Seal that shot Bin Laden apparently revealed? That's a bit stupid isn't it?

Putting a target all over him and any family for every nutter out there?

Thought exactly the same thing, ridiculous thing to reveal given the current climate of Islamists targeting specifics to achieve maximum publicity.

Identify of the Seal that shot Bin Laden apparently revealed? That's a bit stupid isn't it?

Putting a target all over him and any family for every nutter out there?

Not as stupid as me thinking for a second you meant an actual seal

• Like 2

Not so much a news topic as an interesting article for 11/11. Maybe it can be moved if another thread is thought more suitable. for that. It is a humanist view on remembrance day.He is a nurse in the RN.

http://humanistlife.org.uk/2014/11/10/there-are-no-atheists-in-foxholes-how-this-humanist-approaches-remembrance-day/

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if these count as interesting stories but it saves starting a new thread.

They are from a Citizen Advice website regarding cases they have had to deal with relating to ATOS and ESA.

There is a petition on the page to have the assessments carried out by fully trained NHS doctors instead of the present unqualified assessors working for a private company.

These are just the ones that CAB have dealt with. There are many cases where no help or advice has been forth coming.

https://blogs.citizensadvice.org.uk/blog/topics/fit-for-work/

If this is better in a new or different thread then can it be moved?

Edited by Rincewind

As much as I value your wonderful posts Moose I think a better reason to start a new post is needed other than to give you amusement. This is a serious topic which you fortunately do not have any experience of at the present time and hopefully not in the foreseeable future.

I will await comments from more open-minded  informed posters at juncture in time.

As much as I value your wonderful posts Moose I think a better reason to start a new post is needed other than to give you amusement. This is a serious topic which you fortunately do not have any experience of at the present time and hopefully not in the foreseeable future.

I will await comments from more open-minded informed posters at juncture in time.

Sorry ken but you're equivocating like a mother ****er.I was being dead sserious.

That was a great read, I knew about the US-Mexico conflict at the time as I've read a lot about Pancho Villa, was also the war where the American general whose name I can;t remember accidently invented the idea of a gun on a vehicle, the message sent by Arthur Zimmermann is considered by a lot of historians to be as big a mistake as fighting the Russians in the winter in WW2 was for the Germans. 

I had absolutely no idea it went to the extents it did in China and Lebanon.

I once had a bottle of Tsingtao beer when in Beijing, absolutely lovely, I wonder if it had a German touch from these days.

Edited by MattP

Blimey, I fully agree with the Pope.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/539990/Pope-attacks-European-Union

THE Pope attacked the European Union's "opulent" and "aloof" leadership and institutions today in an extraordinary speech to the Strasbourg parliament.

To cheers from Eurosceptic members, the Pope railed against the "certain selfish lifestyles, an opulence that is no longer sustainable" and the "frequent indifference to the world around us, especially to the poorest of the poor."

Edited by MattP

So do I, though I'm not sure that the Express is giving a balanced account of his speech. 

Here's the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/world/europe/pope-francis-strasbourg-european-parliament.html?_r=0

"Francis gave little direct encouragement to calls for “more Europe,” and instead echoed some of the complaints from surging populist politicians who view the European Union as a meddlesome force that inhibits rather than promotes ambition and economic growth. 'In recent years, as the European Union has expanded, there has been growing mistrust on the part of citizens toward institutions considered to be aloof, engaged in laying down rules perceived as insensitive to individual peoples, if not downright harmful,' Francis said.

In his speech, however, the pope also took aim at these populists, many of whom demand sharp curbs on immigration and denounce migrants as freeloaders, by pleading for more compassion toward immigrants. The plea has been a regular feature of the Vatican’s agenda since Francis became pope after the surprise retirement of Benedict XVI last year. On his first trip outside Rome after his election, the new pope denounced the “globalization of indifference” during a visit to the Italian island of Lampedusa, near where scores of migrants have drowned while trying to reach Europe from Africa in flimsy boats. 'We cannot allow the Mediterranean to become a vast cemetery,' the pope said Tuesday. 'The boats landing daily on the shores of Europe are filled with men and women who need acceptance and assistance.' He added that the European Union’s failure to find a common response to the flow of desperate migrants had led individual countries to adopt their own measures, 'which fail to take into account the human dignity of immigrants and thus contribute to slave labor and continuing social tensions.'

The pope won particularly loud applause on Tuesday with remarks that seemed to challenge a largely German-scripted policy rooted in austerity as the cure to Europe’s economic ills. 'The time has come to promote policies which create employment,' he said, 'but above all, there is a need to restore dignity to labor by ensuring proper working conditions.' "

Not really read too much into this so I might be barking up the wrong tree but I would have thought the easiest way to combat issues here is to work out the average number of hours someone works a week (contractually and overtime) over the course of the year and if it's less than the Working Time Regulations number (is it 40 or something? EDIT: apparently it's 48 which seems a bit high for this), that's the number used for your holiday, not just the contractual number.  Therefore employers can't employ people on low hours contracts but require them to consistently work overtime in a bid to avoid paying holiday on that overtime / prevents a "topping-up" regime similar to what pubs used to do with tips and wages. 

If you work more than the WTR number, then it's treated as "true" overtime and doesn't count.

If only I was paid for overtime :(

I'm currently working for a Dutch company, but on a UK contract and recently found out that Dutch contracts work like this, you work a 38 hour week and every hour over that you can claim back as holidays.

Now the company is a global company and works a standard 40 hour week, so every week my Dutch colleagues are contractually obliged to work 40 hours and accrue 2 hours of holiday, so every 4 weeks they get an extra day off, added to their statutory 26 days, they get 39 days holiday.

No bloody wonder I was the only one working over the summer.

Add to that I was working this weekend and with no "official" days off in lieu, I'm pretty pissed off.

Showdown talks with my boss over this on Friday.

Edited by Captain...

I'm currently working for a Dutch company, but on a UK contract and recently found out that Dutch contracts work like this, you work a 38 hour week and every hour over that you can claim back as holidays.

Now the company is a global company and works a standard 40 hour week, so every week my Dutch colleagues are contractually obliged to work 40 hours and accrue 2 hours of holiday, so every 4 weeks they get an extra day off, added to their statutory 26 days, they get 39 days holiday.

No bloody wonder I was the only one working over the summer.

Add to that I was working this weekend and with no "official" days off in lieu, I'm pretty pissed off.

Showdown talks with my boss over this on Friday.

That is fairly standard in parts of Europe.  Get used to people having lots of time off if you work in a European country.  They probably earn less than you and pay more tax if that makes you feel better.