Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Interesting news topics.

'Racist' Banksy art removed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-29446232

Personally, I don't find it racist, in that the artist himself probably intended it as a commentary on people's attitudes rather than him expressing his own views.

Anti-racism image removed for being offensive.

Apparently we now need to teach people that the feeling of shame you get when your bigotry is reflected back at you in a way you can understand is not the same thing as being offended.

• Like 2

Does this mean Private Eye is going to be banned. If it was not mentioned that it was 'thought' to be racist i would probably have looked on it as satire. I do not know anything about the artist but I would assume that he is not a right wing activist. Apparently his other work includes depictions on other subjects not on the priority list for the far right.

Some people are too sensitive but I can see how it can be thought of as racist without thinking about the reason it was done.

Johnny Speights character Alf Garnett was racist which has led to some thinking he was and others saying things like 'Yeah he'es right aint he.?' but Johnny Speights intention was to ridicule racist views. Cannot remember Garnett winning an argument

Just a normal day on Aussie streets.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/technology/science/boxing-kangaroos-filmed-having-it-out-in-suburban-street/story-fnjwk7lb-1227081916200

watch out for the Drop Bears too!

Green Street has got nothin on these guys

Edited by ozleicester

Attention grabbing Mercury headline, well it made me look  :blush:

Man who licked lesbian's bottom at party admits sexual assault

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Man-licked-lesbian-s-party-admits-sexual-assault/story-23061394-detail/story.html#comments

• 3 weeks later...

http://news.sky.com/story/1366498/holiday-pay-should-include-overtime

A couple of day old but yes please!

Not a deal breaker for me, i'm not too bothered if it doesn't happen for everyone/me as I realise the implications it could have on businesses but i'm certainly not gonna turn it down.

Not really read too much into this so I might be barking up the wrong tree but I would have thought the easiest way to combat issues here is to work out the average number of hours someone works a week (contractually and overtime) over the course of the year and if it's less than the Working Time Regulations number (is it 40 or something? EDIT: apparently it's 48 which seems a bit high for this), that's the number used for your holiday, not just the contractual number.  Therefore employers can't employ people on low hours contracts but require them to consistently work overtime in a bid to avoid paying holiday on that overtime / prevents a "topping-up" regime similar to what pubs used to do with tips and wages. 

If you work more than the WTR number, then it's treated as "true" overtime and doesn't count.

If only I was paid for overtime :(

Edited by Benji