Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson looks to add more recruits

I've read this thread with interest and not made much comment.

To summarise:

1. I'm fully with those people who say we don't want a big squad. There's no point having players mooching about who aren't gonna get games. A sensible squad size, yes, any more than that is counter-productive.

2. Any additions we make, I'd like to see being players better than we have already. We aren't far off being a very good side at this level. A couple of very astute signings in January would compliment this. Like Reading did with Roberts and LeFondre for example.

3. The focus should be on a PROVEN goal scorer at this level. I don't mean Beckford.. Let him go. If we have money, lets push the boat out and get in Sharp, LeFondre or Henderson.

I agree again Col.

Pearson said before the season, he would like a squad size of around 25, for me that is a sensible size instead of the 30+ players we had last season. At this moment our squad is one of the smallest in the division especially last week, as we didn't have Keane or Lingard, while Danns wasn't getting in the team and Gally was still out on loan, we only really had 19/20 players, and for me if injuries or suspensions occured, we would struggle to make a bench of 7 players, unless we called on Taft, Jones or Panayiotou.

We just need to buy in a couple of areas to make us stronger, and help get our depth up, 2-3 more players wouldn't harm the side in my opinion, our defensive options are very good apart from left-back, while a striker is definitely needed, and maybe another midfielder if we don't decide to extend Lingard's loan when it comes to an end.

Really dont get all the people on here saying Pearson should have foresaw that we had a small squad and add more players to it.

Maybe he should have done what Sven did? Sign every Tom, Dick and Harry, never break into the top 6 all season, and struggle to win more than 2 games in a row.

The problem with the club is no longer the players or management, but the fans. Why are we so intent on winning everything in just one season???

The core players in our squad.....drinky, king, knocky, marshall, de laet, moore, kasper, schlupp etc can all be here for the next 5 years at least, we are building a team and squad, i am sure over the summer when we are still in this division NP will look to improve further.

As for people complaining about us signing youngsters on loan from united, cleverley, drinky and de laet have clearly made a better impression than Sven the mercenaries biggest signings (beckford, mills and johnson).

Its amazing how people complain about loaning in a kid which played very well in a man utd reserve team away at chelsea last week, against hazard, mata etc.

And there we go ....

Zak is available and could deputise at left back or play Zak in the centre and put Keane lb, personally id play Schlupp there, he did well on Tuesday, but have the Trees got a right winger that could expose him?

Blackpool have the best wingers in the league (I think) & Konch was moved to CB to avoid being exposed with Schlupp coming on at LB & he had them relatively comfortably.

... we would struggle to make a bench of 7 players, unless we called on Taft, Jones or Panayiotou.

And? Surely that's the whole point of having players come through the academy, into the development squad - in some cases represent their country

Unless they're not good enough in which case we should be getting rid of them too?

We've got players all over, except LB... adding elsewhere, like NP says, has to be the right move, not any move from names bandied around from people endlessly bleating on about it.

Moore - Keane - Morgan - De Laet

If everyone is fit to play, apart from Ledge and Konch, and no loan signings are made before Saturday then I would play this defence.

Not trusting Whitbread anymore, such a liability it's getting pretty scary.

Blackpool have the best wingers in the league (I think) & Konch was moved to CB to avoid being exposed with Schlupp coming on at LB & he had them relatively comfortably.

Konch was moved there cos St Ledger picked up a injury and Schlupp was the only defensive cover on the bench. More of a forced move than a tactical one.

And? Surely that's the whole point of having players come through the academy, into the development squad - in some cases represent their country

Unless they're not good enough in which case we should be getting rid of them too?

We've got players all over, except LB... adding elsewhere, like NP says, has to be the right move, not any move from names bandied around from people endlessly bleating on about it.

And why would you want a bench full of under 22's apart from Logan?

They are prospects who will get there chance when the right time comes.

We need to get our depth up and we need loan signings is certain positions, Pearson knows what he needs.

Am i the only one who thinks schlupp is great at left-back? Reminds me of Ashley Cole. Would actually like schlupp to establish himself there.

I just like him full stop .... would love to see him given the amount of chances in the first team that Waghorn gets.

Oh I cba to go back and read all that thread again.

But someone said probably yourself, age doesn't matter just as long as there good enough...but for me that isn't the case.

Just as long as Pearson is getting the mixture right, between young and experience then I am happy.

Just glad he has listened to me :D

Bollocks, if you're good enough then you're good enough.

Are you saying you'd prefer someone who has been consistently shite at this level rather than someone who is say a regular in the England U21 side and has made a big name for himself?

One again you ignore things like the costs involved of having players sat around not being in the squad (we have enough of those already). The fact other teams would want loans to be playing or in the squad at a minimum. That last season we had too many people sat around not playing and clearly the management think that was a huge problem within the camp.

We were perhaps one defender light if you ignore younger players like Taft. I've said that myself (without being abused so where you get that from god only knows). But we were coping fine, and we've moved in the market when we have needed to.

Its looking more & more obvious that Pearson is going to overlook some of our own talented youngsters (George Taft) as a example ,to give experience to other clubs young players, seen him play left back 2nd half in a pre season friendly for the 1st team against Nuneaton & he looked very strong , if anything a little too tall for a pearson type defender, he doesnt like his defenders over tall does he

And why would you want a bench full of under 22's apart from Logan?

They are prospects who will get there chance when the right time comes.

We need to get our depth up and we need loan signings is certain positions, Pearson knows what he needs.

Why would you want a bench full of people here to pick up a pay-cheque, (we've had that, they moan & cause unrest)

what's age got to do with anything. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Despite the smaller, more competitive squad we've got plenty of depth, we have options all over... even in defence where people think we're short, there's options there because people are flexible... and that's without calling on Taft & Jones, who surely should be near the matchday squad - if they're ever going to be good enough, that is.

It now looks like they'll be overlooked in providing matchday cover - which leads me to question their ability.

I actually prefer the look of Schlupp at LB to Konch too.

Bollocks, if you're good enough then you're good enough.

Are you saying you'd prefer someone who has been consistently shite at this level rather than someone who is say a regular in the England U21 side and has made a big name for himself?

:nono:

I would prefer a better balance, and why would you target a player who has been consistently shit at this level?

Pearson knows that the right balance is needed, and that experience and youth works well together, that's what every team needs at this level to get promotion.

There is a lot of youngsters around who are good enough, but would I want all our loan signings to be youngsters, no I wouldn't, because inexperience will show and we may end up struggling.

Why would you want a bench full of people here to pick up a pay-cheque, (we've had that, they moan & cause unrest)

what's age got to do with anything. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Despite the smaller, more competitive squad we've got plenty of depth, we have options all over... even in defence where people think we're short, there's options there because people are flexible... and that's without calling on Taft & Jones, who surely should be near the matchday squad - if they're ever going to be good enough, that is.

It now looks like they'll be overlooked in providing matchday cover - which leads me to question their ability.

I actually prefer the look of Schlupp at LB to Konch too.

Having 19-20 players is not a good amount of depth in my opinion.

We already have the likes of Schlupp, Futacs, James and Moore players you wouldn't necessarily want in your squad week in week out, while Danns and Gallagher won't play for this club again I doubt.

We have injuries as well now to Konchesky and St Ledger so our numbers diminish again.

We need balance on the bench as well, instead of having 5-6 youngsters.

Its looking more & more obvious that Pearson is going to overlook some of our own talented youngsters (George Taft) as a example ,to give experience to other clubs young players, seen him play left back 2nd half in a pre season friendly for the 1st team against Nuneaton & he looked very strong , if anything a little too tall for a pearson type defender, he doesnt like his defenders over tall does he

He looked good in a friendly against Nuneaton?

GET

HIM

ON!!!

"It took me long enough last season to get rid of players who were either not good enough, or didn't want to be at the club,(after I had humiliated them and fallen out with them because I couldn't handle ambitious players who answer back or question my tactical nouse) and it's been a huge task for us to eliminate those influences from the club.

Hmm. I have to admit there is an element of truth about this post, like it or not.

I don' believe we should be going back over old ground, but someone other than Knowitall kicked it off again.

I have kept quiet of late, but am happy to take on the anti Sven brigade if they want to start up again, but would rather let sleeping dogs lye, as we need to concentrate on the present.

Am i the only one who thinks schlupp is great at left-back? Reminds me of Ashley Cole. Would actually like schlupp to establish himself there.

No, you're not. I'd like to see him play there more often but I think Pearson only considers him to be emergency cover there. Combined with Dyer down the left, that's some frightening pace

Hmm. I have to admit there is an element of truth about this post, like it or not.

I don' believe we should be going back over old ground, but someone other than Knowitall kicked it off again.

I have kept quiet of late, but am happy to take on the anti Sven brigade if they want to start up again, but would rather let sleeping dogs lye, as we need to concentrate on the present.

If you don't want to go over old ground, why quote this post in the first place?

It's funny how your quiet period coincided with our unbeaten run. You must have been gutted not to have anything to moan about. I've had enough of trolls today - not touching this one. Ta ta!

Archived