Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson looks to add more recruits

Maybe he tried to sign these or other players earlier and the clubs wouldn't let them go, maybe it was for budgetary reasons, maybe he wasn't allowed to sign them unless he could guarantee them some games which he couldn't not while we were winning or with a fully fit squad. When you look at it logically there's more reasons for not having loan players hanging around then there is for having them on call but not used.

Therefore maybe he'd agreed to sign these players but not until they were needed.

He seems a pretty well organised manager why do you suppose that when it comes to getting loanees he does nothing and then panics?

Because he is a tad stubborn .... he wants a small squad of young and hungries and foreseeing a problem that would prove it's not as simple as that doesn't fit with his personality.

That they should and could have been signed earlier, we'd have had a greater choice of talent as we'd not have been rushed into a signing .... they'd have had time to bed in, be coached in our ways and slot into the side with little disruption. Unfortunately instead we waited until the inevitable and had to sign someone that's available as it's an emergency.

One again you ignore things like the costs involved of having players sat around not being in the squad (we have enough of those already). The fact other teams would want loans to be playing or in the squad at a minimum. That last season we had too many people sat around not playing and clearly the management think that was a huge problem within the camp.

We were perhaps one defender light if you ignore younger players like Taft. I've said that myself (without being abused so where you get that from god only knows). But we were coping fine, and we've moved in the market when we have needed to.

Because he is a tad stubborn .... he wants a small squad of young and hungries and foreseeing a problem that would prove it's not as simple as that doesn't fit with his personality.

I've no doubt he has a degree of stubbornness but it doesn't seem quite as strong as your somewhat blinkered, only one reason for him to act the way he does view.

Isn't the small squad for budgetary reasons?

One again you ignore things like the costs involved of having players sat around not being in the squad (we have enough of those already). The fact other teams would want loans to be playing or in the squad at a minimum. That last season we had too many people sat around not playing and clearly the management think that was a huge problem within the camp.

We were perhaps one defender light if you ignore younger players like Taft. I've said that myself (without being abused so where you get that from god only knows). But we were coping fine, and we've moved in the market when we have needed to.

Necessary costs, not ignored ..... but since when did we have no money for a average sized squad?? In my view that's NP's choice not driven by finances.

Did you even read the full article?

I heard the interview live and read the article. I actually think he made some good points and was reasonably honest and not evasive for once.

But the fact remains that he could have acted earlier ... it's no biggy.

I've no doubt he has a degree of stubbornness but it doesn't seem quite as strong as your somewhat blinkered, only one reason for him to act the way he does view.

Isn't the small squad for budgetary reasons?

Seems to be the conclusion that most of FT have jumped to .... is there any suggestion from the club that that's the case though??

Seems to be the conclusion that most of FT have jumped to .... is there any suggestion from the club that that's the case though??

The big interview NP did months ago about cutting costs due to FFP I'd imagine helped us draw that conclusion.

Really dont get all the people on here saying Pearson should have foresaw that we had a small squad and add more players to it.

Maybe he should have done what Sven did? Sign every Tom, Dick and Harry, never break into the top 6 all season, and struggle to win more than 2 games in a row.

The problem with the club is no longer the players or management, but the fans. Why are we so intent on winning everything in just one season???

The core players in our squad.....drinky, king, knocky, marshall, de laet, moore, kasper, schlupp etc can all be here for the next 5 years at least, we are building a team and squad, i am sure over the summer when we are still in this division NP will look to improve further.

As for people complaining about us signing youngsters on loan from united, cleverley, drinky and de laet have clearly made a better impression than Sven the mercenaries biggest signings (beckford, mills and johnson).

Its amazing how people complain about loaning in a kid which played very well in a man utd reserve team away at chelsea last week, against hazard, mata etc.

Necessary costs, not ignored ..... but since when did we have no money for a average sized squad?? In my view that's NP's choice not driven by finances.

Being within budget is also necessary, and whilst we have players on huge sums and not wanted (gally, Danns maybe even Wellens and Backford come Jan) it might prove a challenge.

If we get rid of them I'm sure a few more will be able to come in.

I think we will try and add a bit more experience, it's not just about having young players :whistle: ;)

And people said I was talking shit, well clearly I wasn't. You need a mixture and this squad was turning into a more youthful one, and Pearson must of been on this forum looked at my comments and thought oh this guy talks sense, it must be that Babylon who doesn't know what he is talking about ;)

Well good to know Pearson knows what he is doing, you need the correct blend of players and it's good to see Pearson is weighing up by getting in some young players, then going back in the market and getting experience.

Good news, and would I like to brag some more, hell yes I would, but as I am nice and not an annoying person I will leave it at that :)

I think we will try and add a bit more experience, it's not just about having young players :whistle: ;)

And people said I was talking shit, well clearly I wasn't. You need a mixture and this squad was turning into a more youthful one, and Pearson must of been on this forum looked at my comments and thought oh this guy talks sense, it must be that Babylon who doesn't know what he is talking about ;)

Well good to know Pearson knows what he is doing, you need the correct blend of players and it's good to see Pearson is weighing up by getting in some young players, then going back in the market and getting experience.

Good news, and would I like to brag some more, hell yes I would, but as I am nice and not an annoying person I will leave it at that :)

Kingfox, you should really go back and read the thread before you jump on your high horse. That was about you slating the signings of young players and that age and age only matters.

I even stated in that thread that I'm sure if there are experienced players available who are good enough Pearson will want to sign them.

Kingfox, you should really go back and read the thread before you jump on your high horse. That was about you slating the signings of young players and that age and age only matters.

I even stated in that thread that I'm sure if there are experienced players available who are good enough Pearson will want to sign them.

This is the same kingfox who calls for experience then reckons we should sign 19-year-old Connor Wickham.

Oh I cba to go back and read all that thread again.

But someone said probably yourself, age doesn't matter just as long as there good enough...but for me that isn't the case.

Just as long as Pearson is getting the mixture right, between young and experience then I am happy.

Just glad he has listened to me :D

This is the same kingfox who calls for experience then reckons we should sign 19-year-old Connor Wickham.

I also listed other strikers, just mentioned Wickham because he is an obvious choice.

For experience I would get in Steve Morison in a heartbeat, physical striker who is capable of scoring goals at this level.

I don't see why. He's not that prolific.

Because he is a Premier League striker who may go out on loan, plus he was a highly rated prospect with Ipswich at this level.

I would get in Steve Morison anyway, but first we need another left-back, and for experience the Swansea duo of Gary Monk or Alan Tate comes to mind, as Williams and Chico are ahead of them both.

Using the players in several positions is fine - but they can't play there simultaneously!!!

RB: De Laet (carrying a knock), Moore (Is a CB), Keane (signed a few days ago so has relieved a worse crisis than before, but now injured), St Ledger - injured

One Right back that';s carrying a knock.

CB: Morgan, Moore, Whitbread (not fit / out of form - with more options he wouldn't be getting picked) Keane (playing at right back / injured?), St Ledger - injured

1 fit centre half and 2 not in the best of shape.

LB: Konchesky - Injured, De Laet (can't play on both sides at once!!!!), Schlupp

A striker that has played a handful of games at LB the only option.

Keane was taken off as a precaution - not injured and according to NP should be available for Saturday. I agree that LB is a problem, but I don't see anything to suggest we have any other problems in defence. You're writing of Whitbread before he's even had a chance to get a run of games - he's not unfit at all. Why wouldn't he be getting games if we had more options? Pearson was the man who signed him! Of course he'd play him. I've not heard anything about De Laet carrying a knock at all either, from what has been said he should be fit for Saturday too. Moore's played at RB before in the first team and for the academy, so he can cover there too.

We could quite easily field several defensive backlines on Saturday:

De Laet - Morgan - Moore - Schlupp

Moore - Morgan - Whitbread - Schlupp

Moore - Keane - Morgan - De Laet

Moore - Morgan - Whitbread - De Laet

Keane - Morgan - Moore - De Laet

Keane - Morgan - Moore - Schlupp

That's 6 different defensive line-ups we could realistically field with no problem. There are a few more combinations I'm sure. These players are more than good enough, I don't know why everyone is getting so stressed out? Seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill. If we could get a good LB before saturday, that'd be great, but I'd be happy enough with any of those back lines against Forest.

I've read this thread with interest and not made much comment.

To summarise:

1. I'm fully with those people who say we don't want a big squad. There's no point having players mooching about who aren't gonna get games. A sensible squad size, yes, any more than that is counter-productive.

2. Any additions we make, I'd like to see being players better than we have already. We aren't far off being a very good side at this level. A couple of very astute signings in January would compliment this. Like Reading did with Roberts and LeFondre for example.

3. The focus should be on a PROVEN goal scorer at this level. I don't mean Beckford.. Let him go. If we have money, lets push the boat out and get in Sharp, LeFondre or Henderson.

Oh.... And a bigger, taller, stronger bloke in Midfield to drag our away form to something closer to our home form.

It's gonna take a bit of money.. If we have it, it's worth it, spend it and let's really kick on...

Archived