Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Captain...

When you're smiling!

Ok so this is our anthem, but we don't sing it right, most people agree the Jersey Budd version is rubbish, so lets get a consensus what is our version of when you're smiling?

Post your suggestions here, or record your own version then we will have a vote on what is the best.

Then when we actually have a definitive version of our anthem, we can then look at getting it played.

Would be good if we could get all the ground singing it before kick off, or whenever it would be played.

West ham have 'forever blowing bubbles...' and cut it off half way though and get the crowd to sing the rest. Maybe that?

IMO it needs slowing down a lot when chanted. I can't find anything decent that captures how I remember singing it back in the 90's apart from these geezers in the pub.

Not a great example but the key point is how slowly they are singing, the pauses, especially at the end. Tempo wise we should be similar to the slow start of "When the blues go marching in"

We just need to sing it much slower. Jersey budds version was a very poor effort.

We need someone to record it properly like it should be sung but slowed down and get it played before kick off and it would soon catch on. And get rid of all the americanised happy clappy music it only frowns out Any atmosphere trying to be created.

The Lads in the Pub Version is near as damm it the right speed imo

I agree with this. When we're singing it's far too fast.

Has a band like the england one been put forward before to go with Jobber's drum (space willing)

IMO it needs slowing down a lot when chanted. I can't find anything decent that captures how I remember singing it back in the 90's apart from these geezers in the pub.

Not a great example but the key point is how slowly they are singing, the pauses, especially at the end. Tempo wise we should be similar to the slow start of "When the blues go marching in"

That's the best version I have ever seen.

Class.

The Lads in the Pub Version is near as damm it the right speed imo

Agreed fully. If a whole end was stood belting that out it'd be genuinely one of the best. I'll openly admit I've not been a huge fan until I seen that, purely because I've actually not heard a decent rendition.

We need Englebert or someone to record a new version, very similar to the Louis Armstrong/Dean Martin versions.

Then play it before the teams come out and encourage people to sing along.

Man City do this well with Blue Moon. Start at normal speed, then speed up after one chorus.

Just enough and everyone joins in. I'm sure the same could be done with When You're Smiling.

Has a band like the england one been put forward before to go with Jobber's drum (space willing)

I think that would be the final nail in the coffin (see any England home game for evidence).

More voices less instruments would be my guiding principal. Those fat blokes in the pub seem to have got it about right and fortunately they didnt need a trumpet or a drum to do it.

Archived