Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Captain...

When you're smiling!

Please lets not try and create any sort of atmosphere, lets not do anythijg new or different, what we have right now works so well...

There are some suggestions I can cope with but the idea of a band is just wrong. They ruin England games and it would worsen ours further.

Maybe people don't sing it because it's not a very good song? Thats made even worse without music? That's made utterly terrible when some sing it at a million miles per hour? :dunno:

Maybe it would be more worthwhile to seek a new club anthem because WYS is dead in the water in my opinion.

Maybe people don't sing it because it's not a very good song? Thats made even worse without music? That's made utterly terrible when some sing it at a million miles per hour? :dunno:

Maybe it would be more worthwhile to seek a new club anthem because WYS is dead in the water in my opinion.

Seek a new club anthem (which we've sung for many, many years) because we currently don't sing it very well?

That is absolutely pathetic.

Seek a new club anthem (which we've sung for many, many years) because we currently don't sing it very well?

Not necessarily, why not have 2 anthems, or 3 or 4, there are 2 sorts of fans when it comes to chants, the traditionalists, who don't like anything modern, and the modernists who don't like the old stuff.

Unfortunately we can't please them all.

Not necessarily, why not have 2 anthems, or 3 or 4, there are 2 sorts of fans when it comes to chants, the traditionalists, who don't like anything modern, and the modernists who don't like the old stuff.

Unfortunately we can't please them all.

That's not true, there are also the types of fans who do like modern chants as long as they're decent and aren't overdone and don't replace our traditional songs or club anthems.

WYS will always be our anthem to me.

Calm down. Its my personal opinion, that's all.

I'd just as ask how can something be a club anthem if nobody sings it? (I've personally never heard a decent rendition in my 15 or so years supporting the club), and if hardly more than a couple of dozen people know the words?

Why not try something new? Something that is actually a nice song and sounds great being sung without music? WYS is dead, and i doubt many fans would even notice if a few die hards stop singing that "weird fast song" that nobody understands.

But like i say...just my opinion...

You can't really just invent a new anthem. In the same way you can't invent a rivalry. You either have them or you don't. WYS is our only anthem so we may as well make the most of it, it may not be the greatest song but it's ours and if it's sung a litle slower (ala the blokes in the pub) and by big numbers it will sound just fine.

To be honest, most the people have no idea how to sing it "properly". Myself included actually. It gets a good airing away, and at home and to be honest I don't care what we sing so long as it's loud. I like WYS - but people need to stop being so "elitist" about it. If someone don't know the words or melody, ****ing tell um! Not alienate them and act as though you're a "better" fan. Same to those who don't know the words, and mock the ones who do and suggest that we find a new anthem.

We all moan about a bad atmosphere. Well here it is folks, people are too busy bickering, than singing songs about our great club.

Calm down. Its my personal opinion, that's all.

I'd just as ask how can something be a club anthem if nobody sings it? (I've personally never heard a decent rendition in my 15 or so years supporting the club), and if hardly more than a couple of dozen people know the words?

Why not try something new? Something that is actually a nice song and sounds great being sung without music? WYS is dead, and i doubt many fans would even notice if a few die hards stop singing that "weird fast song" that nobody understands.

But like i say...just my opinion...

We've tried that approach, having a few new songs te replace old ones hasn't worked has it, it's made things worse.

It would be a nice song, a very nice song, if it was sung properly. It's not the songs fault it's not sung properly.

Yes it's your opinion and one whole-heartedly disagree with. I think your attitude sums us up, you're not interested in our fan culture and you want to modern up everything. You can't just replace club anthems.

To be honest, most the people have no idea how to sing it "properly". Myself included actually. It gets a good airing away, and at home and to be honest I don't care what we sing so long as it's loud. I like WYS - but people need to stop being so "elitist" about it. If someone don't know the words or melody, ****ing tell um! Not alienate them and act as though you're a "better" fan. Same to those who don't know the words, and mock the ones who do and suggest that we find a new anthem.

We all moan about a bad atmosphere. Well here it is folks, people are too busy bickering, than singing songs about our great club.

Well this is part of the big plan, but first we need to decide on how to sing it, then we need to create a video with lyrics then we spam it through youtube facebook and twitter and get the club to play it on the big screens.

WHENYOU'RESMILIGNWHENYOU'RESMILINGTHEWHOLEWORLDSMILESWITHYOU

WHENYOU'RELAUGHINGWHENYOU'RELAUGHINGTHESUNCOMESSHININGTHROUGH

BUTWHENYOU'RECRYINGYOU'LLBRINGONTHERAIN

SOSTOPYOURSIGHINGBEHAPPYAGAIN

COSWHENYOU'RESMILINGWHENYOU'RESMILING

THEWHOLEWORLDSMILESWITHYOU

THEWHOLEWORLDSMILESWITHYOU

THE WHOLE WORLD SMILES WITH YOOOUUUU

When it's sung like that, it's bound to sound crap.

Sung like it is on that video in t'pub, it'd sound great.

In the early nineties I had a book documenting terrace chants by club. LCFC got roundly slated for failing to be original except WYS. It was the only chant given as uniquely ours, especially with the jazz hands. Things move on, times change and it isn't being sung much anymore, a few dozen singing at best in L/K1 when it is. That's a shame, it's a big part of the club's historical identity and I don't think we can easily replace it with anything that would be credible as an anthem.

In the early nineties I had a book documenting terrace chants by club. LCFC got roundly slated for failing to be original except WYS. It was the only chant given as uniquely ours, especially with the jazz hands. Things move on, times change and it isn't being sung much anymore, a few dozen singing at best in L/K1 when it is. That's a shame, it's a big part of the club's historical identity and I don't think we can easily replace it with anything that would be credible as an anthem.

The only song I can think of that would be linked to Leicester is Underdog by Kasabian.

Great lyrics that can be linked to football, Leicester band and Leicester fans.

When You're Smiling has legs though, it just needs to be sung properly.

The only song I can think of that would be linked to Leicester is Underdog by Kasabian.

Great lyrics that can be linked to football, Leicester band and Leicester fans.

When You're Smiling has legs though, it just needs to be sung properly.

Showing my age but I've not really kept up with the emergence of Kasabian. Had a listen on youtube and that sounded good to me. There was some talk last year on the new chants thread about another Kasabian chant possibility that I thought was decent.

The bit I miss most is the end bit

The Whole World Smiles With You

The Whole World Smiles With You The Whole World Smiles With Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Follwed By The Leicester :appl: :appl: :appl: The Leicester :appl::appl: :appl:

And them jazz hands!

If we're going for slow...

Although I think that's just to slow and prefer this...

Either of these are good, anything but that AWFUL Jersey Budd version - seriously that version has burned itself into my brain so much that I forgot I did actually used to quite like the song.

Listen to the Frank Sinatra version

Correct lyrics and at the right speed.

Its the bit at the end that is hard to get right. In the old days it was slow AND as some started earlier there were Jazz Hands. Many yrs ago I went to a sports bookshop in London, it sold books and fanzines from all teams, I took childish delight in hiding the Forest ones and putting Leicester ones to the front of displays.

There was a book on club songs with lyrics. Under Leicester the author complimented the Leicester 'When your smiling' Anthem and particularly pointed out how he liked the co-ordinated hand waving (Jazz Hands) at the end.

Basically

The whole world smiles with you.... DA DA DA DA DA (Jazz Hands while SLOWLY doing DA DA DA DA DA )

The whole world smiles with you.... DA DA DA DA DA (Jazz Hands while SLOWLY doing DA DA DA DA DA )

The whole.. (Hands up hands down)

World.. (Hands up hands down)

Smiles.. (Hands up hands down)

With.. (Hands up hands down)

Yooouuuuu.. (Jazz Hands while yoooouuu is sung)

Just slowing down would help a lot, mind you that goes for a lot of the songs.

and DO NOT let that drum anywhere near it !

Would be quality if we could contact kasbian, I'm sure being Leicester fans they'd be willing to record a version for us.. Then we could use that and their underground song as two anthems .. Really could get the place rocking again if some of the ideas from this weeks threads come off ..

With an anthem before kick off that everybody can sing along to, it would mean fans would maybe turn up a little earlier and we could start singing which usually makes for a better atmosphere Aswell IMO

IMO it needs slowing down a lot when chanted. I can't find anything decent that captures how I remember singing it back in the 90's apart from these geezers in the pub.

Not a great example but the key point is how slowly they are singing, the pauses, especially at the end. Tempo wise we should be similar to the slow start of "When the blues go marching in"

Facking lavley.

Me and jobber have spoke about how many of our songs are sung too quick, jobber will be happy to set the pace with his drum aslong as people stick to it?

Who agrees that the knockaert song has become too quick?

Same, and E I E I E I O. We are crap at singing it, we start off real slow, then get to the "and when we get promoted..." and it all gets messy from there.

Archived