Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
K1FOX

Atmosphere today.

How did they get that atmosphere. Did they just carry it over from the Victoria ground or did they have to start from scratch?

They picked up a lot of fans as they started to become more successful.

The Britannia was open 11 years before their promotion, and for most of that time attendances were very average. Even in their promotion season their average was under 17,000 as you can see by this table. http://www.stokecity-mad.co.uk/sngl/edw2/attendances_section/index.shtml

Somehow they picked up a lot of fans who want to sing for the team and the Britannia turned from a soulless new build with 15,000 rattling around inside into a cauldron of noise. They were massive underdogs in their first season which may have helped, and many think they've steadily gotten quieter as they've become more established in the division.

That does give me a bit of hope, the fact that our support is generally good when we're up against it or underdogs. Every time we've come up against Premiership opposition in the cup our support has been excellent, so perhaps it would be in our first season back in the Premiership.

They picked up a lot of fans as they started to become more successful.

The Britannia was open 11 years before their promotion, and for most of that time attendances were very average. Even in their promotion season their average was under 17,000 as you can see by this table. http://www.stokecity...ion/index.shtml

Somehow they picked up a lot of fans who want to sing for the team and the Britannia turned from a soulless new build with 15,000 rattling around inside into a cauldron of noise. They were massive underdogs in their first season which may have helped, and many think they've steadily gotten quieter as they've become more established in the division.

That does give me a bit of hope, the fact that our support is generally good when we're up against it or underdogs. Every time we've come up against Premiership opposition in the cup our support has been excellent, so perhaps it would be in our first season back in the Premiership.

There's hope for the KP yet then, it's been our worst spell as a club in history or close to it.

My big worry is that the armchair sky sports fans currently sat in our fair city will jump at the chance to buy expensive season tickets if we go up and flood the stadium with a bunch who would rather we didn't disturb their enjoyment of the match with that annoying singing and such.

I think the atmosphere would really heat up if we got to the premier league. I think it's very wrong but I get the impression the fans have some weird sense of premier league football entitlement ever since our successful run with MON. It's like we think "No need to sing, we should be beating these lot without our support"

Just how I see it.

I think the atmosphere would really heat up if we got to the premier league. I think it's very wrong but I get the impression the fans have some weird sense of premier league football entitlement ever since our successful run with MON. It's like we think "No need to sing, we should be beating these lot without our support"

Just how I see it.

Me too. For the bulk of games in the Premier League we would be the underdogs, and have the same underdog mentality which we took to Norwich and Chelsea away, thus creating the best atmospheres of the season.

Genuinely read that as 'morons' to begin with! lol

I have absolutely no problem with anyone saying it looked shit. I've admitted, on a number of occasions that it wasn't as good as I'd hoped but that I was happy with it for a first effort. I had a number of people, including those who I hadn't met, help out and to me that was encouraging. It showed that people still are interested in doing something to improve the atmosphere, rather than sit on their hands all game and type about how poor the atmosphere was all week.

What I do take issue with is people saying it was 'embarrasing' or 'cringe'. Seriously, why do you care about what others think? Tommy, I don't know you but I've just looked at your linkedIn. You look like a smart lad who couldn't get where they are by constantly worrying about what others think. I don't understand what you've got to lose in a football stadium? Surely having the worst atmosphere in the league when you're 6-1 up is more embarrassing than throwing a bit of paper in the air?

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what all that has to do with creating a singing section (as wet as it sounds) for fans who don't want to be in L1 and who want to improve the atmosphere. I'm definitely not sure of how this could possibly be viewed negatively by anyone who likes a good atmosphere, so if anyone can enlighten me please do!

Fair enough

I lose sleep at night because some people think I'm cringe for throwing confetti, don't they realise how much they upset me because their opinion is so important.

Love the comment 'especially when only 20 join in' well eveything has to start from somewhere doesn't it?!?

The more people that start it, the more will join in then surely we're on to a winner?

All we need is a couple of capo's in L1 to step up and start off a variety of songs constantly as was done today in P2 and due to the numbers there are up there now this will immediately improve atmosphere. And that is the be all and end all.

did you not go to the Cardiff game...Dan

Or were you too busy soaking up the rays in Narborough Del Sol?

Genuine question, how old are you and Tommy G?

If either are over 16 I will be stunned.

EDIT; OK, so I looked at Tommy G's 'linkedin', he's surprisingly successful, I'm stunned someone who's done quite well for himself can be that stupid in some of his replies.

There is hope for us all.

The atmosphere today was as good as any at home this year I thought. Easily.

F uck me. Has this what a supporter has come to these days? Organising throwing confetti before a match. Here is a tip for getting the atmosphere better. Get yourself down to a pub by opening time on the day of a game. Drink as much as you can then make your way to the ground 5 minutes before the start of the game then act like a knob for 90 minutes. Always worked for us in the 90's. If you can pick out an opposition fan to abuse then that is even more fun!!

What a shambles!!

F uck me. Has this what a supporter has come to these days? Organising throwing confetti before a match. Here is a tip for getting the atmosphere better. Get yourself down to a pub by opening time on the day of a game. Drink as much as you can then make your way to the ground 5 minutes before the start of the game then act like a knob for 90 minutes. Always worked for us in the 90's. If you can pick out an opposition fan to abuse then that is even more fun!!

What a shambles!!

Hallelujah bruv

Just how I see it.

Nail on head mate

What a shambles!!

Not knocking anyone for their attempts on bringing back the atmosphere, but I have to say this is the most fun, more conventional way to do it.

Its no coincidence that away games have more vocal support, its cos everyones hammered

What a shambles!!

Ah those were the days.

It would help if those twats at the club would stop trying to manufacture atmosphere with crappy loud music both in and outside the ground. And the sight of those kids waving silly flags on the pitch is just so cheap and pathetic, obviously aimed at the mums and dads end of the market but an embarrassment never the less. Not to mention the so called half time entertainment

The whole stadium is in need of a bloody good wash down as well, it looks tired and third rate with smashed plastic panels in the away fans end in particular and an overall air of neglect.

The toilets are badly designed with poor access and exit bieng too small and they look dirty and unhygenic. The catering is an absolute joke run by people who appear to be thick as custard. If we are ever lucky enough to get back into the prem we will quickly get the reputation of being a small minded club who are obviously punching above our weight when it comes to the ground and facilities.

I was unlucky enough to attend two functions over the christmas period at the KP stadium and I can tell you the staffing levels were disgusting with having to cue for a drink taking at least half a hour being the norm, not to mention the bar staffs attitude.

Although we are making great progress on the pitch we seem to be going backwards in all other areas, they really need a managerial shake up off the pitch.

I actually agree with our palindromic chum on this.

The stadium is looking tired and in dire need of TLC. The concourses need a lick of paint, the toilets desperately so and the facilities as a whole are looking a bit sorry for themselves.

I can't help thinking the exterior needs a bit more, maybe even recladding as was done to one of the stands at Elland Road a few years ago.

What a shambles!!

You should come down to Oz you would love it most of our games start at 745pm on weekends and pubs open at 11am :thumbup:

Archived