Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
K1FOX

Atmosphere today.

Saw a middle age bloke near the back of j3 cringe and share an "omg it's noisy" look with his missus during the knockaert song before kickoff. Come on its football you halfwit !! It should be bloody noisy. I wish our games were all televised so this sort of fan can sit at home with some relaxing

Incense and maybe a bit of whale song in the background while watching the footy. Although having said that he was probably pleasantly surprised with the decibel level for most the game thereafter.

Do people generally think that safe standing will bring an immediate atmosphere boost?

Nope. I think it'll make a small improvement to start with and gradually get better as more people realise it's the place to be.

Sadly it's not the structure itself that makes the noise, it's the people in it, and I fear those types are becoming a serious minority at Leicester now.

People where I was sat moaned that is was quiet, suggested that L1 should do more singing. We all started singing, they did not. Same people who boo'd gally, gave him shit load of abuse, then just about ran down the stairs to suck him off when he nearly scored from 45 yards or so.

Brilliant.

Unbelievably quiet and frankly rather strange at times.

Sometimes though you need a contest to spark the crowd and today we didn't have it. Though we played well at times it was like a practice match and the away fans (except for a few towards the back) made little noise and didn't have much to cheer. There were no contentious ref's decisions and no opposition player to really dislike (perhaps we should have let Beckford play).

L1 is usally quite good in my opinion but the drummer never really got going and there just seemed to be a muted tone to the whole thing.

Some still managed to find enough voice to boo Gallagher though and should be ashamed of themselves. I'm no fan of his but I won't boo a player in a Leicester shirt.

Safe standing might help but we basically have standing anyway in parts of the ground. I'm not entirely sure though that the nature of football just hasn't changed. We have a few songs but those like When you're smiling just aren't as easy and as memorable as say Delilah is at Stoke where the noise is pretty good for such a crap ground. As others have said it isn't the ground but those in it. I recall Filbert st with 8000 on a winter night not having much atmosphere either.

We are very self critical!!!

This is not about our support being shit. These are the same people who have supported city for years. It's about modern grounds for a start.

At Filbert street I have been in a full double decker before and it sounded like a nightclub it was so loud, yet when I spoke to my dad about it after the game ( he was in the kop ) he said they didn't hear the double decker all game!

In the older grounds the atmosphere certainly sounded better depending where you sat. I sat in the east stand a lot at filbo and more often than not the kop sounded silent to us.

This is now magnified by the poor design of new stadiums. The same goes for the away support. People say it sounds shit and the atmosphere is shit, but if you sit in another part of the ground out fans sound loud!

I've done so many away days I've lost count, not all were brilliant atmospheres. Charlton was a good example this year. The away fans were too spread behind the goal, we couldn't get anything going.

So, it's not our support that's shit, it's modern times and modern stadia.

I sat in the J area yesterday because I took the girlfriend. Usually I like to make some noise and often lose my voice.

I was surrounded by a lot of old folk and thought I'd observe and listen to their opinions. I heard quite a lot of "oh it's quiet in here today", so it seems like they aren't totally against the atmosphere, I think they won't join in with the less tasteful songs. You definitely feel isolated when singing in that part of the ground, and it's a shame because it essentially links L and the Kop.

I'm going to put a bold statement out and say that it's that section with a major issue. A lot of older fans sit there because of the good view, they don't seem to be against an atmosphere but won't actively joine in to create one.

Would it be viable to get the singers from L to sit at the top of the stadium and line it all the way round? So the sound would travel and project downwards? This could encourage a collective, not just spots of singing and that terrible phenomenon down to physics where the Kop is a second out from L.

Just some ideas.

If you spread L1 along the west stand you'd end up with, in my opinion, a similar situation to the 'Kop' where different songs are started in different places with each side near enough refusing to join in with the other.

If only Every single person who wanted to sing were together. :yesyes:

A man can dream.

If only Every single person who wanted to sing were together. :yesyes:

A man can dream.

If only all these people who claim they wanted to sing actually just did it, rather than worrying about stands, or other fans, or where the away fans are, or where the kop is, or any of that shit. So many excuses trotted out every single week rather than people taking responsibility for the simple fact that, for whatever reason, the majority of our fans don't sing.

If only all these people who claim they wanted to sing actually just did it, rather than worrying about stands, or other fans, or where the away fans are, or where the kop is, or any of that shit. So many excuses trotted out every single week rather than people taking responsibility for the simple fact that, for whatever reason, the majority of our fans don't sing.

Interesting you say this Rich cos I think you are right. Yesterday I thought Fook it, I'm gonna sing. I sit at the front of the stand, right opposite the tunnel where the atmos is shite. A few times yesterday I turned round, faced the crowd and joined in with the chanting started by L1. I have a pretty loud voice and am a big geezer.

Literally, no-one joined in... And they looked at me like I was knob.

So I continued... lol

It just didn't work mate, at least where I sit.

I thought this subject would come up after the game yesterday. I sit in the KOP area of the ground (SK3 ish) and the atmosphere was disappointing when you consider that the team on the field were winning 6-1. The problem is, however, that despite all the discussion on forums like this I’m afraid that nothing is going to change in the short to medium term.

It occurred to me a couple of games ago what the reasons are for the poor atmosphere. As I scanned the crowd I saw many middle aged to elderly faces, many women, couples and families. This was not an unusual crowd as many of these people are, like me, season ticket holders. I’m afraid that many of the people in this area will just not sing – whatever is happening on the pitch. Even if we’re winning twelve nil against Nottingham Forest with promotion dependant upon the result it will only be greeted with short bouts of polite applause. There are people who try hard to generate an atmosphere; but they are spread around too sparsely for any meaningful singing to take hold.

Now I’m a graduate of the old Filbert Street, pen 3 club. The atmosphere in there was consistently loud and non singers were in the minority. If you consider the demographic in those days, however, then that area was populated mostly by young men who specifically went into that area to generate an atmosphere. Other, predominantly older, fans who favoured a more sedate experience sat in the main stand and people in between the two went into the East stand.

I’ve always been of the view that people have the right to support the team in any way they want to. I, myself, am nowhere near as vocal as I used to be and will probably only join in when a song has taken hold – although I probably would do more if singing was more prevalent. I firmly believe that the real problem is not how people choose to support the team, but the fact that all the people have been mixed together into one group. People who want to sing are mixed with people who want to sing occasionally and people who will never sing. People who want to stand are mixed with people who want to sit. People who would have historically sat in the main stand can now find a cheaper seat in the Kop. People who want some banter with the away fans are in an area that was historically used for people who didn’t want the high volume experience of a vocal home support.

The only real way to change is to find a way to get the same sort of supporters, all together, in the same areas. Singers could stand with singers, safe standing would allow people to stand and people who favour a quiet, seated experience, could get their wish without irritating the people who want to generate an atmosphere. I suspect, however, that the mix of fans in each area is the dream of those who worry about public order and these people would have to be convinced that changes would not bring problems. In short, there would have to be a real political will at the club to change the match day experience for the fans, which isn’t going to happen any time soon.

But its different,When literally nobody is singing I dont think theres anything you can do.

I thought this subject would come up after the game yesterday. I sit in the KOP area of the ground (SK3 ish) and the atmosphere was disappointing when you consider that the team on the field were winning 6-1. The problem is, however, that despite all the discussion on forums like this I’m afraid that nothing is going to change in the short to medium term.

It occurred to me a couple of games ago what the reasons are for the poor atmosphere. As I scanned the crowd I saw many middle aged to elderly faces, many women, couples and families. This was not an unusual crowd as many of these people are, like me, season ticket holders. I’m afraid that many of the people in this area will just not sing – whatever is happening on the pitch. Even if we’re winning twelve nil against Nottingham Forest with promotion dependant upon the result it will only be greeted with short bouts of polite applause. There are people who try hard to generate an atmosphere; but they are spread around too sparsely for any meaningful singing to take hold.

Now I’m a graduate of the old Filbert Street, pen 3 club. The atmosphere in there was consistently loud and non singers were in the minority. If you consider the demographic in those days, however, then that area was populated mostly by young men who specifically went into that area to generate an atmosphere. Other, predominantly older, fans who favoured a more sedate experience sat in the main stand and people in between the two went into the East stand.

I’ve always been of the view that people have the right to support the team in any way they want to. I, myself, am nowhere near as vocal as I used to be and will probably only join in when a song has taken hold – although I probably would do more if singing was more prevalent. I firmly believe that the real problem is not how people choose to support the team, but the fact that all the people have been mixed together into one group. People who want to sing are mixed with people who want to sing occasionally and people who will never sing. People who want to stand are mixed with people who want to sit. People who would have historically sat in the main stand can now find a cheaper seat in the Kop. People who want some banter with the away fans are in an area that was historically used for people who didn’t want the high volume experience of a vocal home support.

The only real way to change is to find a way to get the same sort of supporters, all together, in the same areas. Singers could stand with singers, safe standing would allow people to stand and people who favour a quiet, seated experience, could get their wish without irritating the people who want to generate an atmosphere. I suspect, however, that the mix of fans in each area is the dream of those who worry about public order and these people would have to be convinced that changes would not bring problems. In short, there would have to be a real political at the club to change the match experience for the fans, which isn’t going to happen any time soon.

magnifying-glass5.gif

The only real way to change is to find a way to get the same sort of supporters, all together, in the same areas. Singers could stand with singers, safe standing would allow people to stand and people who favour a quiet, seated experience, could get their wish without irritating the people who want to generate an atmosphere. I suspect, however, that the mix of fans in each area is the dream of those who worry about public order and these people would have to be convinced that changes would not bring problems. In short, there would have to be a real political will at the club to change the match day experience for the fans, which isn’t going to happen any time soon.

Absolutely spot on...

:thumbup:

People blaming the fact they had a few shandies the night before for the fact they couldn't open their gobs? FFS.

Roll on Burton and hopefully everyone who is in P2 is actually going to put their money where their mouth is and go for it for the full 90. I know I will be.

The whole profile of the modern football fan has changed. Fans used to be mainly blokes who would turn up pissed, shout expletives and be rowdy. Football clubs don't like these fans. Football clubs like the "tourist" fans who turn up, buy a programme, spend £50 quid in the club shop, applaud politely at regular intervals and go home all chummy. This is the main problem at clubs like man u and arsenal, probably less so at Leicester but it is the direction football has taken.

It is sadly all about money and they don't give a shit about the atmosphere.

Bollocks to the club. It is very unlikely they are going to do anything to help. So the initiative has to be with the fans. L, K and J need to unite and start organising themselves. The only way to improve the atmosphere is for fans collaborate. There needs to be real shift in the fan mentality.

The whole profile of the modern football fan has changed. Fans used to be mainly blokes who would turn up pissed, shout expletives and be rowdy. Football clubs don't like these fans. Football clubs like the "tourist" fans who turn up, buy a programme, spend £50 quid in the club shop, applaud politely at regular intervals and go home all chummy. This is the main problem at clubs like man u and arsenal, probably less so at Leicester but it is the direction football has taken.

It is sadly all about money and they don't give a shit about the atmosphere.

Bollocks to the club. It is very unlikely they are going to do anything to help. So the initiative has to be with the fans. L, K and J need to unite and start organising themselves. The only way to improve the atmosphere is for fans collaborate. There needs to be real shift in the fan mentality.

Excellent post, and too true unfortunately.

I stand in L1 and to say the last 2 matches have been poor is an understatement but dont just blame L1 .From L1 I cant say ive heard any noise from the Kop all season .People are quick enough to come on here and moan but instead of moaning try and do something about it .it only takes a few small groups to try and get it going other might join in .Last year when we were getting beat by Boro the noise from L & K was great this season we have had 2 6 goal thrillers and it quie as fook .So lets try and get some atmosphere back into our Home

Interesting you say this Rich cos I think you are right. Yesterday I thought Fook it, I'm gonna sing. I sit at the front of the stand, right opposite the tunnel where the atmos is shite. A few times yesterday I turned round, faced the crowd and joined in with the chanting started by L1. I have a pretty loud voice and am a big geezer.

Literally, no-one joined in... And they looked at me like I was knob.

So I continued... lol

It just didn't work mate, at least where I sit.

But its different,When literally nobody is singing I dont think theres anything you can do.

Well that's the point chaps - a lot of people say they want to improve the atmosphere, plenty of people say they want to sing, but on the evidence of 90% of home games, that doesn't seem to be the case. Look at the attempt to get all the confetti going at Cardiff the other week - it was taken up by a small minority, but other than that it was either treated with indifference or derision. Like you say Col, if you sing in a stand where eveyone's quiet as a mouse then you get looked at like a nob. I just don't think there are many people who want to sing anymore and a lot of the ones who say they'd like a better atmosphere, or that they'd like to sing don't have the courage or the commitment required to do anything about it.

Archived