Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GingerrrFox

God help us if we ever get back in the Prem!

The issues in British Football relating to the financing of the game good long way before sky came on the screen. You have given an opinion, fair enough, some what misguided on my view

I'll reply later, i'm on my phone and can't be bothered to type out a long post only to then lose the signal and my post when my phone freezes up

You could argue that the Sky money they receive is sufficient to remove the need for charging high prices. The problem with TV exposure was always expected to be a reduction in attendances this doesn't seem to be the case though.

Over paying players in the pursuit of success blindly supported and demanded by so many fans is the main reason for high prices.

Can we add egotistic owners, muppet directors and dumb managers to the list ?

Can we add egotistic owners, muppet directors and dumb managers to the list ?

You could but I don't think managers come into it they may decide on the players they want but they don't set budgets and who recruits them and sets their targets?

I'd like to think that with Pearson's ability to find players with good ability and work ethic without the massive pay demands, if we were to get promoted then the expenses wouldn't increase nearly as much as a club with a big-spender at the helm. Whether or not the board/owners would be kind enough to not double the cost of tickets remains to be seen, but it's pretty well run at the moment, hence the good average attendances we have currently

I'd fully expect tickets to go from £15-£25 up to £25-£40 (maybe for the top fixtures - Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal) but I'd be amazed if overnight we're charging Arsenal prices - they're notorious for overcharging, but their pedigree and large following means they'll still sell. I imagine the owners would realise that charging £60+ for almost any fixture would result in Coventry-like attendances and would make the club look ridiculous

Our average attendances have been dropping in recent seasons while prices have increased.

You could but I don't think managers come into it they may decide on the players they want but they don't set budgets and who recruits them and sets their targets?

Ok on the whole I will go with that, just I do feel that some managers have more influence than we give them credit for. AKA SGE

You could argue that the Sky money they receive is sufficient to remove the need for charging high prices. The problem with TV exposure was always expected to be a reduction in attendances this doesn't seem to be the case though.

Over paying players in the pursuit of success blindly supported and demanded by so many fans is the main reason for high prices.

Paid for in the main by TV money......

Tickets sales make up a fraction of a Premeir League club income these days. TV Money is the reason for high wages and TV Money is the reason crazy power hungry owners wanting to own a Premier League club.

TV Money is the route of all evil in football, if your English that is. If not, given you can't watch any of the games live if they aren't on Tele, it's great.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet (I'm posting at work so not really reading) is that all the fuss has been over "900 tickets sent back" rather than "2000 fans pay £62 like the mindless idiots that modern football fans are". Follow that up with the tickets selling out anyway and I'm not surprised Arsenal et al. are charging ridiculous prices when there is clearly the demand for it.

Paid for in the main by TV money......

Tickets sales make up a fraction of a Premeir League club income these days. TV Money is the reason for high wages and TV Money is the reason crazy power hungry owners wanting to own a Premier League club.

TV Money is the route of all evil in football, if your English that is. If not, given you can't watch any of the games live if they aren't on Tele, it's great.

So what is the income per game from ticket sales ? And what level of club are you basing this on.

Also money has always been a major issue in the game, both how it's raised and how it is spent which the powers that be have always failed to deal with on any effective manner.

So what is the income per game from ticket sales ? And what level of club are you basing this on.

Also money has always been a major issue in the game, both how it's raised and how it is spent which the powers that be have always failed to deal with on any effective manner.

In your lifetime maybe, not always.

About 10-15% maybe less according to something I read in a book recently, the author also pointed out while it wouldn't be ideal they could actually operate without supporters going to games at all. Premier League, obviously, as thats whats being discussed.

Exactly, Sky knew what the problem was just as well as you did.

What they have done is create a dependancy on their money, on the part of the clubs and a dependancy on their coverage on the part of the customers. You would think that more money in the game would eradicate the problem of debt but all it's done is magnify the problem as the money never goes where it should, it goes directly into the pockets of greedy players, unscrupulous agents and managers dogs (allegedly).

Sky flooded the game with money knowing full well where it was going to go and what was going to happen, thus creating the dependancy of the clubs on their money just to pay the bills. The money is also not distributed equally between clubs which increases the problem at the lower end of the division. The competition between clubs for trophies and even just to stay in the premier league or get there like us means that inevitably, clubs will spend more than they have coming in. Transfer fees go up as the selling team tries to rake in as much as possible to offset their spending or fund a relegation scrap or promotion push. Wages go up as clubs compete with one another for a players signature. Tv money pays for some of that but clubs are still losing millions every season. It is an inevitability that ticket prices as their other main source of revenue will continue to rise until people like us can no longer afford to watch live sport.

You will have become totally dependant on Sky Sports, as by then, they'll be the only Channel that will have any sport, they will have annihilated all the competition by then.

Sky customers could not forsee what their subscriptions were going to be used for, they were just paying to watch televised sport but unless they're blind they must be able to see what all this money has done to football and eventually will do to every sport they televise. Will anyone do anything about it and stop their subscriptions? NO, they're already too dependant on it.

Before you ask, I have never been a subscriber and i highly doubt i ever will be.

Yup! We all moan when MPs want a wage rise, but when our club is trying to sign a striker for £10m on £30K a week - SIGN HIM UP!!!! :w00t:

Basically, we need to be as cynical about footballers as we are MPs.

Exactly, Sky knew what the problem was just as well as you did.

What they have done is create a dependancy on their money, on the part of the clubs and a dependancy on their coverage on the part of the customers. You would think that more money in the game would eradicate the problem of debt but all it's done is magnify the problem as the money never goes where it should, it goes directly into the pockets of greedy players, unscrupulous agents and managers dogs (allegedly).

Sky flooded the game with money knowing full well where it was going to go and what was going to happen, thus creating the dependancy of the clubs on their money just to pay the bills. The money is also not distributed equally between clubs which increases the problem at the lower end of the division. The competition between clubs for trophies and even just to stay in the premier league or get there like us means that inevitably, clubs will spend more than they have coming in. Transfer fees go up as the selling team tries to rake in as much as possible to offset their spending or fund a relegation scrap or promotion push. Wages go up as clubs compete with one another for a players signature. Tv money pays for some of that but clubs are still losing millions every season. It is an inevitability that ticket prices as their other main source of revenue will continue to rise until people like us can no longer afford to watch live sport.

You will have become totally dependant on Sky Sports, as by then, they'll be the only Channel that will have any sport, they will have annihilated all the competition by then.

Sky customers could not forsee what their subscriptions were going to be used for, they were just paying to watch televised sport but unless they're blind they must be able to see what all this money has done to football and eventually will do to every sport they televise. Will anyone do anything about it and stop their subscriptions? NO, they're already too dependant on it.

Before you ask, I have never been a subscriber and i highly doubt i ever will be.

I find it rather strange that you blame sky for the PL/FA 's failure to set any sort of basic financial rules that protect the club. This had been going on for decades, sky has just compounded the issue.

Sky may have provided the means to pay excessive wages but they didn't force clubs to do so and they happen to operate at a profit unlike the PL clubs and that is almost solely down to excessive wages, the FA, FL and PL clubs have all acted totally irresponsibly, some illegally and at the expense of the fans, but then the fans have been partly complicit with their demands for success.

Since we got relegated from the prem I've never really been that bothered to go to home games, partly because I live so far away in Broughton Astley, but if we got promoted I think I'd make the effort, although my company car is fully expensed and I'd feel bad ranking up the miles every other week. But still, anyone else get this feeling they'd want to go back if we made it to the prem. It started around the time i got IBS so it could just be that but what the hell is this sensation?

I think a stadium extension which could happen if we go up could offset ticket prices.

Why oh why do people keep going on about this, it won't happen.

We would have to be a top 6 side for a good 5 seasons to drag in that many week by week, if we went up now I'm certain only the real big games would sell out, we wouldn't sell out to Southampton or Wigan. It is a lot different now to the last time we were up there and a lot more expensive to go.

Also what would a bigger ground be like if we came back down?

Man City are only now considering extending the Etihad by adding tiers behind each goal, they have been on about it for years and selling out games for a few seasons now, plus they have a strong 35K season ticket holders, add in 3K away fans and that only leaves around 7k for corporate and match by match buyers.

Also they have won major trophies recently and are now at present a top 4 club.

Arsenal for us would be cat C so that's around £25 this season I think, we won't ever be charged for a cat A game.

I read once that the Arsenal owners based their business model on selling out every game which being in the capital they can do easily, add in the fact that Prem games there never reach general sale, they have more than enough members to take up the 3,000 or so seats that aren't held by season tickets.

Spot on. Sky kickstarted it all and clubs spending absolutely silly money has done the real damage IMO, Sky keep spending more on it every year but clubs just see it as more transfer budget rather than a chance to cut their costs.

The whole attitude of the Premier is totally wrong, it's all about money and hype and I think even this "the atmospheres worse but the football's better" is a myth too, I hate the way people assume the PL is the leagues strongest based on Sky's perception, hate the way everyone acts so shocked when joke sides like Man City are turned over.

The PL lets itself down a silly amount, it could be the best league in the world but for me it's not close.

Why oh why do people keep going on about this, it won't happen.

We would have to be a top 6 side for a good 5 seasons to drag in that many week by week, if we went up now I'm certain only the real big games would sell out, we wouldn't sell out to Southampton or Wigan. It is a lot different now to the last time we were up there and a lot more expensive to go.

Also what would a bigger ground be like if we came back down?

Man City are only now considering extending the Etihad by adding tiers behind each goal, they have been on about it for years and selling out games for a few seasons now, plus they have a strong 35K season ticket holders, add in 3K away fans and that only leaves around 7k for corporate and match by match buyers.

Also they have won major trophies recently and are now at present a top 4 club.

Arsenal for us would be cat C so that's around £25 this season I think, we won't ever be charged for a cat A game.

I read once that the Arsenal owners based their business model on selling out every game which being in the capital they can do easily, add in the fact that Prem games there never reach general sale, they have more than enough members to take up the 3,000 or so seats that aren't held by season tickets.

This, a ground expansion is a laughable idea considering our shit attendances this year. If it was reasonably priced and we became a good side in the PL then yes, but if we get there and we continue to hike prices to silly amounts then I bet we'll do well to average 26k, even in the Prem.

Chelsea away this year was £55 and people moan about £38 for Leeds!

Moan about both, they're both fvcking disgusting.

This, a ground expansion is a laughable idea considering our shit attendances this year. If it was reasonably priced and we became a good side in the PL then yes, but if we get there and we continue to hike prices to silly amounts then I bet we'll do well to average 26k, even in the Prem.

Moan about both, they're both fvcking disgusting.

You best get use to it if we get to the premiership and you want to go away. I seem to think Arsenal was 75-80 my friend does Liverpool home and away.

Archived