Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

Here we go then!

Volvo, China:

Maximillian Kieffer 2 points e/w @ 55/1 - I was very impressed with this chap a few weeks ago when he finished 2nd and I can't help but think he's close to winning this season.

Ricardo Santos 1.5 points e/w @ 90/1 - Let's make this clear, Santos is rarely nearly triple figure odds on the European Tour and after a strong start to the season, he's had a fairly poor run of late. That doesn't stop me backing him though, the higher the odds the better in my opinion. He's often a fast starter so i'll take him as FRL as well.

S Kjeldsen 1 points e/w @ 125/1 - Very quiet start to the season for The Dane but he came in to some good form around this time last year and although he only finished about T20 in this in 2012 he's the game for this course and those odds tempt me.

Wells Fargo:

Bubba Watson 3 points e/w @ 25/1 - When will Bubba's season finally take off? He's had a couple of bright moments but otherwise he's been fairly low key and this is a course that suits him. I'd have liked his odds to be a touch higher but looking at whose more favoured than him this week I don't see anything to be too scared of. Come on Bubba!

L Glover 2 points @ 60/1 - Lucas is back! He had a great performance in New Orleans last week and was unlucky not to kick on in the last round and contest for the title, make no mistake though as a previous winner of Wells Fargo and a couple of other top 5's he's got to be ploughed in to.

M Hoffmann 1 points @ 175/1 - This boy looks like he can play, i've monitored him a few times this season and he's looked decent. Last week he looked very good and tailed off a bit but nonetheless looked confident and unfazed. I'm willing to take a punt on him at such nice odds and hope he goes a bit better this week and aims for a T5!!

I've the above 6 in some small e/w doubles

I also have a Webb Simpson/Alex Noren e/w double, a Bill Haas/Victor Dubuisson e/w double and for purely comedy reasons a Markus Brier and Justin Bolli e/w double at 90,000/1 it's the drinkers double

Good luck, I certainly need some after last weeks hideous effort.

Senden 120/1

Henley 70/1

Garcia 25/1

Quisene 70/1

Drysdale 70/1

Wen Chong Liang 70/1

Love my 70's this week

I had a long look at this fella, backed him earlier in the season and he had a hack. Hope he goes well for you.

Bought some 2nd hand clubs off my mate yesterday for £30. When I'm back from Manchester I'm going to go up the range near me and have a go. Might book some lessons on groupon or something like that too.

Wouldn't mind getting into this golf lark.

You wont regret it. Playing golf is amazing on a number of levels

Bought some 2nd hand clubs off my mate yesterday for £30. When I'm back from Manchester I'm going to go up the range near me and have a go. Might book some lessons on groupon or something like that too.

Wouldn't mind getting into this golf lark.

It's a great sport. I started playing last summer and can't get enough of it. Can be really frustrating but also amazing when you make a good shot or put a decent round together etc

I'd recommend lessons helped my game no end.

Only downside is that its a tad expensive

It's a great sport. I started playing last summer and can't get enough of it. Can be really frustrating but also amazing when you make a good shot or put a decent round together etc

I'd recommend lessons helped my game no end.

Only downside is that its a tad expensive

In this climate a lot of clubs are offering membership initiatives to attract members and the game is losing that stuffyness factor that some places cling onto.

Even so, if youre happy doing so, you can always hand over your £20 or so and play places like Beedles Lake which although municipal, are still kept in good order.

Lots of good club deals can be found on golfbidder.co.uk and ebay too which is nice

Cheers guys, I only ever played once before; 9 holes at humberstone heights on what must have been the hottest day in history but was quite good. Can't remember my score it I came 3/4 and all of the other 3 had been playing for years!

Don't know much of the technicalities ie I don't know the difference between a municipal and a links course (but have heard of both). But I'm sure there is an absolute wealth of information out there for me to explore so won't trouble you with too many 'newbie' questions!

In this climate a lot of clubs are offering membership initiatives to attract members and the game is losing that stuffyness factor that some places cling onto.

Even so, if youre happy doing so, you can always hand over your £20 or so and play places like Beedles Lake which although municipal, are still kept in good order.

Lots of good club deals can be found on golfbidder.co.uk and ebay too which is nice

Whilst Beedles lake is a pay and play course it's not a municipal.

Edited by notnow john

Talking of Beedles Lake, i'm playing there on Sunday. I'm back from London for the bank holiday and it was the only course I could get on on Sunday morning in a 20 mile radius that didn't cost the earth. Never played it ebfore but heard it's a tidy little track.

Talking of Beedles Lake, i'm playing there on Sunday. I'm back from London for the bank holiday and it was the only course I could get on on Sunday morning in a 20 mile radius that didn't cost the earth. Never played it ebfore but heard it's a tidy little track.

Its pretty good for saying its not a private member course.

The greens are always superb. Theyre built to USGA specifications so theyre always slick and when it rains, they drain almost instantly returning the putting surface back to normal which is very good.

On the course, id say all the par 5's are gettable. There are some long par 4's in the 450-460 region that play quite tough though, 18th plays quite hard with a gentle right to left dogleg and uphill slightly to a green protected by 4 or 5 bunkers.

Its not a bad place to play at all

Right then, The Players Championship. It's seen as the 5th major and it is a superb event. The course is a joy to watch on tv and I suspect it's phenomenal to be at the course itself watching, or to play!!! The iconic 17th hole has reduced hero's to has-been's year after year.

I managed to get a half decent return on Ricardo Santos's fifth place finish last week, I was hoping for much better with Lucas Glover nicely poised but he fell away.

I'm looking at outsiders this week after Stan James ridiculous offer of 7 places if betting via mobile phone.

Jason Dufner 3 points e/w @ 55/1 - When will Dufners season start? He was a top ten machine in the last few years but so far this year he's been very quiet. I know he'll land a big one soon though and as this tournament is often won by majors nearly men i'm looking at Dufner who has fallen cruelly short a couple of times to follow suit. He's had a top 6 finish here before and his game is suited to this course in a sense that tee to green he's brilliant and his putter get's hot then he'll be right in there.

Zach Johnson 2 points e/w @ 75/1 - Johnson is in good form right now, which has led me to lump on him. I back him at certain times each season and I made the mistake last year of leaving him out and he ended up finishing 2nd here. He's had other decent tournaments here so he's got to be backed.

Marc Leishman 2 points e/w @ 125/1 - I'll make no apologies for the speculative punt I had on the Aussie at The Masters which gave me a fantastic rollercoaster and a £400 payout. I don't see that being a flash in the pan for Leishman, I see it as a sign of big things to come from him. He's got a fantastic game he just needs to work on his temperament a little, he showed fantastic bottle to hang in there at Augusta and if he'd hit a few more solid long iron shots he'd have been right in there for the green jacket. He's a great driver of the ball and putter, he's worth some money at a superb price. He's had a top 20 here before so he knows what it takes to get amongst it at Sawgrass. He's always going to be a favourite of mine forever, he's bound to land a win in the future and i'll be on it for sure.

Brandt Snedeker 2 points WIN @ 55/1 - Crazy odds with Bet365 and a lot lower with Stan James on the 7 places so i've just whacked a win bet only on a player who is always in the mix in big tournaments in the last year, the price is astounding really. He was on the verge of pulling clear and winning The Masters? Is it his bottle they are questioning or because he's been injured? You don't need to be long around Sawgrass and even if Snedeker is only hitting it 85-90% he'll give himself a great chance, just like he did at Augusta. Again the nearly man major factor plays a huge part here, that price has to be got in to.

Look out for a certain persons card in the club house, a -2 70 off the ladies tees.

I've had e/w bets on

Kuchar 33/1

Points 100/1

Streelman 80/1

Haas 66/1

Snedeker 33/1

Well done mate, decent return on that I suspect?

Very frustrating week for me, Johnson was flying after 27 holes and I was convinced he would be there for the duration and then he blew it. Dufner had an unbelievable chop yesterday. Leishman did well, was very close to placing but just fell short. I shall be on him this week too as he's close to landing a massive week.

Well done mate, decent return on that I suspect?

Very frustrating week for me, Johnson was flying after 27 holes and I was convinced he would be there for the duration and then he blew it. Dufner had an unbelievable chop yesterday. Leishman did well, was very close to placing but just fell short. I shall be on him this week too as he's close to landing a massive week.

Yeah very decent return. Helps take my mind off yesterday slightly. I fancied him to do well. Wish I'd put more on him now lol 

I was tempted with Johnson and Leishman myself but went against the idea at the last minute

Went up the range for the first time to hit some balls. Friggin hell it's frustrating!! Most just skimmed the grass, out of 60 balls only about 5 were actually struck nicely and flew.

At first, work on fundamentals.

Make sure you have a grip that you can play decent golf with, work on your posture to feel athletic and settled over the ball, and make sure your ball position is good on each shot. Having lessons at this stage of your golfing life can be absolutely invaluable to you.

If you do this, your shots will begin to improve with time as you begin to hit the centre of the clubface more and more often.

When tour pros are working on the range, its usually not too technical what they are doing, they are just constantly reinforcing and making sure their fundamentals are good. If their fundamentals are good, the swing takes care of itself.

Welcome to the game :thumbup: :thumbup:

Haven't been able to play golf for 8 weeks due to bum knee. Three weeks past surgery & out today but forced to ride in a cart. This is my longest stretch of no golf for at least 20 years..it's been killing me!

At first, work on fundamentals.

Make sure you have a grip that you can play decent golf with, work on your posture to feel athletic and settled over the ball, and make sure your ball position is good on each shot. Having lessons at this stage of your golfing life can be absolutely invaluable to you.

If you do this, your shots will begin to improve with time as you begin to hit the centre of the clubface more and more often.

When tour pros are working on the range, its usually not too technical what they are doing, they are just constantly reinforcing and making sure their fundamentals are good. If their fundamentals are good, the swing takes care of itself.

Welcome to the game :thumbup: :thumbup:

I will take a few lessons I think, do you have to be a member of the club to take the lessons, I suppose you do?