Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

The next few weeks are going to be all about golf for me.

I'm playing Woodhall Spa for my 30th with my brother and a few mates next friday. We'd tried to get in at Woburn as it's been a long tradition of playing 36 holes there on one of our birthdays but the Marquess course is unavailable that week so we've gone for Woodhall. I played there in a junior county event about 12 years ago but not played it since so i'm buzzing for that. I need to get down the practice area and work on bunker play as I feel i'll be seeing quite a few of them there. Haha

Then i'm off to Edinburgh on Tuesday 16th July for a couple days and then on to North Berwick/Muirfield for The Open, attending the friday and the saturday. I've got 18 holes booked at Gullane as well which is meant to be a sensational course. Cannot wait.

My bets this weeks are just some e/w doubles across both tours.

French: Larrazabal, Storm, Bourdy, Kaymer

PGA: Webb Simpson, Woodland, Norlander, Henley

If youre playing the Hotchkin course, i hope youre good with your sand wedge.

If you havent been before, ill say no more........

Flair you are a 4 letter word that starts with c and ends in t! Seriously sounds life a ripping few days would love to go to the open, my brother got to go one year even tho he had to sleep in the subway for 2 nights......tight arse backpackers.

Hahahahaaaa you should come over one year, i'd be more than happy to come with you and we'll get plastered before and after!!!

If youre playing the Hotchkin course, i hope youre good with your sand wedge.

If you havent been before, ill say no more........

Hahahaaa I know mate, played it in a county event years ago and it was brutal. I used to be handy out of bunkers and what not but i'd be lying if I said I was now. I fancy shooting 100.

US: Guthrie 120/1 Flores 120/1 Lingermeth 130/1

EURO: Aguilar 200/1, Webster 180/1 Wiesberger 35/1

Fair to say i'm banking on some outsiders this week.

Wise mate, very wise. I'm a big fan of Lingmerth, as are you. I went for Norlander instead for some reason. Backed Lingmerth for the US Open and he was nearly in the mix. Norlander has been having a horrible year but i've backed him threee weeks on the spin now as i'm convinced he'll land a big week. Likewise Jonas Blixt.

Would love Webby to do the business for you, that's huge odds for him. He's been as low as 40/1 in some events this year. He's due a good tournament.

Jonas Blixt is a massive should this week and was my 4th pick. Lingermeth will win at 100/1 and i want to be on him when he does.

Would love to do the Open one year and no doubt there would be plenty of frothies flowing.

Jonas Blixt is a massive should this week and was my 4th pick. Lingermeth will win at 100/1 and i want to be on him when he does.

Would love to do the Open one year and no doubt there would be plenty of frothies flowing.

Blixt got the job done!

Also had Bowditch @20/1 for top Aussie, long course was always going to suit the longer drivers.

Blixt got the job done!

Also had Bowditch @20/1 for top Aussie, long course was always going to suit the longer drivers.

I feel sick mate, I left him out and if i'd had him in my e/w doubles then him and Storm would have landed me 35/1 and 35/1 places which was over a 1000/1 double. Horrible.

Still had a nice return on Storm but yet again my US picks let me down.

Earlyish thoughts on The Open?

Flair think you might like to know i'm thinking of getting on Stenson, has a good GIR% and Driving Accuracy will be a big plus looking at the course. Snedeker is another won i will be looking at for similar reasons and probably Scotty cos i love the man.  

Also really like Brooks Kopeka as a roughy, won one of the qualifying events easily against some good European tour names and has won impressively by big margins on the European Challenge tour 3 times this season, all be it against weaker company but the manner in which he has won has been impressive including a ten stroke win at the start of last month.  

Earlyish thoughts on The Open?

Flair think you might like to know i'm thinking of getting on Stenson, has a good GIR% and Driving Accuracy will be a big plus looking at the course. Snedeker is another won i will be looking at for similar reasons and probably Scotty cos i love the man.  

Also really like Brooks Kopeka as a roughy, won one of the qualifying events easily against some good European tour names and has won impressively by big margins on the European Challenge tour 3 times this season, all be it against weaker company but the manner in which he has won has been impressive including a ten stroke win at the start of last month.  

I can't speak highly enough about this lad. I'm already on him for this weeks Scottish Open as he's in unbelievable form, albeit on the Challenge Tour. Let's lump a shit load on him and we'll become the first Foxestalk millionaires!!!!!!!!

I was mustard for Thomas Bjorn after his recent form and although he's only just qualified due to his top ten finish in France, it was the manner of his back 9 collapse on saturday that worries me. He's vastly experienced and has good form at previous Opens, he finished top 5 in 2011 I think at 300/1 which was tipped up by the golfbettingsystem chaps and I left it alone, PRAT! Anyway it's led me to have a little re-think about him, i'd be best to see how he is at Castle Stuart but if he has a blinder then his price will be cut in half and I hate that in golf as it's such a hard and brutal game to bet on and get value for money.

Stenson has all the game for a major, but his temperament is appalling. I love him because he's Swedish and a cool mutha ****a but i've had my kegs down on him so many times.

I really think Matt Kuchar will be in the mix this year, he's too good not to win a major and is a great wind player. I like Snedeker too and it's those two from the pick of top Americans that i'd back as they offer value because they are yet to win a major and have blown chances from good positions. I often get suckered in to backing Dustin Johnson but he doesn't know how to reign it in and like at The Masters he goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. I've got him in mind for first round leader but then again he's too busy pissing about with that bird of his on instagram.

Will be having a crack at Kopeka this week and getting my bets on this week for the Open as he will shorten plenty if he does well. Weak company but he was murdering fields, has butch harmon as his coach the kid is going some where.

Agree about Stenson certaintly a bloke worthy of an FRL bet at the very least, yeah you love your swedes

Mate if we become millionaires i will be coming to the Open with you and we willl get our selves in an all inclusive marquee on the 18th and live it up for the week lol

Edited by SOCCERROO FOX

Will be having a crack at Kopeka this week and getting my bets on this week for the Open as he will shorten plenty if he does well. Weak company but he was murdering fields, has butch harmon as his coach the kid is going some where.

Agree about Stenson certaintly a bloke worthy of an FRL bet at the very least, yeah you love your swedes

Mate if we become millionaires i will be coming to the Open with you and we willl get our selves in an all inclusive marquee on the 18th and live it up for the week lol

Hahahahahahaaaa

Gotta be on Big Phil for Muirfield. Went so close

Last time. Casey might be worth an EW shout for me. If Westwood can sort his putter out he will contend.

Is Muirfield a long course? Because if Tiger can avoid the driver 8/1 is a smashing price.

Edited by Bert

Ric you know your stuff, as you have been on here about The Open for years.

Thoughts on Jason Day & Thorbjorn Olesen's chances?

Jason Day is an absolute must on the basis that he's finished 2nd in majors a whopping 4 times in recent years. He almost seems a magnet to the big occasion. Is he suited to The Open? His game is suited to all majors, which is a massive plus for me. I'm not sure of his current price but i'll possibly have my big bet on him.

Thorbjorn Olesen, i've had him down for this since last year when he just wouldn't go away. He kept up with the leading pack and everything about him impressed me. I've followed his career closely since and backed him in The Masters where after a disasterous first round he ended up finishing tied 6th which was remarkable. This again furthered my belief that he's destined for big things and then his season has just collapsed. Missed cuts galore and some really horrible golf both in America and Europe. I've lost a bit of faith but the fact still remains that he has Open form and Masters form, big tournaments where you have to be positive and sometimes make brave decisions. This weeks tournament at Castle Stuart will be a big indicator for me on Olesen. If he shows signs of some form coming back then i'm launching in to him for next week.

My shortlist is currently:

Jason Day, Matt Kuchar, Thomas Bjorn, Sergio Garcia, Brooks Koepka, Phil Mickleson, Thorbjorn Olesen

I'll have some long shot small bets as well just for a scatter gun approach if anything, like Leishman landed me at 400/1 at The Masters.

I must admit that i've followed Ric's golf tips ever since he mentioned Leishmann in the US Masters at 400/1, where he placed. Only had 50p EW on that but it returned £50 :thumbup: 

Only a few 50p or £1 EW bets for the Open and Scottish Open,

Open : Leishmann, Koepka, Snedeker, Kaymar, Schwartzel, Stenson.

Scottish : Koepka, Stenson, Lawrie, Oleson.

Gotta be on Big Phil for Muirfield. Went so close

Last time. Casey might be worth an EW shout for me. If Westwood can sort his putter out he will contend.

Is Muirfield a long course? Because if Tiger can avoid the driver 8/1 is a smashing price.

Not especially long Bert, so he'll fancy his chances. It's about 7200 yards.

Sergio Garcia has won at Muirfield before.... if he's going to ever win a major it'll be this year and this one. I'm having one last punt on him.

I must admit that i've followed Ric's golf tips ever since he mentioned Leishmann in the US Masters at 400/1, where he placed. Only had 50p EW on that but it returned £50 :thumbup:

Only a few 50p or £1 EW bets for the Open and Scottish Open,

Open : Leishmann, Koepka, Snedeker, Kaymar, Schwartzel, Stenson.

Scottish : Koepka, Stenson, Lawrie, Oleson.

Glad to see you on Koepka as well, he's inexperienced but he's ridiculously talented and I think he can and will win this week.

Johan Edfors first round leader is a must as well. He's won this tournament before as well as another top ten finish, he's had a couple of big first rounds this season only to fall to pieces over 4 rounds. It's there for the taking at 150/1

Another few small bets i'll be doing is british amateur champion as first round leader e/w and Tom watson and Marc Calcavechia first round leaders e/w

Watson and Calc have both won The Open here before, they have both also gone close to winning again in recent years irrespective of their age. They could start well and they'll be well in to triple figures to lead after the first round.

The British amateur whose name escapes me, think it's Garrison is a very good player. I read somewhere that he's played this course a lot before and with the fact Tom Lewis managed to lead after the first round a couple of years ago i'm chancing my arm on this too. He'll be 200/1+

Brooks Koepka is a massive shout at the Scottish Open, we really need to track this lad now hes on the European Tour, anyone who gets a battlefield promotion is a serious talent. Kristoffer Broberg is another who achieved this feat, albeit he is having a quiet season

Jason Day is an absolute must on the basis that he's finished 2nd in majors a whopping 4 times in recent years. He almost seems a magnet to the big occasion. Is he suited to The Open? His game is suited to all majors, which is a massive plus for me. I'm not sure of his current price but i'll possibly have my big bet on him.

Thorbjorn Olesen, i've had him down for this since last year when he just wouldn't go away. He kept up with the leading pack and everything about him impressed me. I've followed his career closely since and backed him in The Masters where after a disasterous first round he ended up finishing tied 6th which was remarkable. This again furthered my belief that he's destined for big things and then his season has just collapsed. Missed cuts galore and some really horrible golf both in America and Europe. I've lost a bit of faith but the fact still remains that he has Open form and Masters form, big tournaments where you have to be positive and sometimes make brave decisions. This weeks tournament at Castle Stuart will be a big indicator for me on Olesen. If he shows signs of some form coming back then i'm launching in to him for next week.

My shortlist is currently:

Jason Day, Matt Kuchar, Thomas Bjorn, Sergio Garcia, Brooks Koepka, Phil Mickleson, Thorbjorn Olesen

I'll have some long shot small bets as well just for a scatter gun approach if anything, like Leishman landed me at 400/1 at The Masters.

Thank you lad  :thumbup:

I always follow Jason Day, 2nd and 3rd this year in the other majors, he has massive pedigree when it comes to Majors, it's about time he won one. 

Been impressed with Olesen as well especially in Majors, he played really well in the Open last year, so much at one stage I thought he was going to win it. Not had the best of tournaments recently though, but a good young player.

That bet on Leishman was quality, can remember that well.

Just been looking down bet365.com's odds for the Open, and another outsider id like to throw out there who could be worth a first round leader bet could be Tom Lehman. He has played very nicely on the champions tour this year, and being a past open winner, he knows how to get the job done on a links.

Anyone who has watched Tom play, as i have several times, will know he has exactly the sort of ball flight required in the wind and is more than comfortable flighting the ball low if necessary, whilst still possessing enough length to be realistically competitive if the course plays fast and firm.

i love Jase Day, even got a massive hug off him after he and Baddley took the points in one of their Presidents Cup matches. I just got a feeling he may struggle on the Muirfield course, he has a tendancy to have a few bad approach shots a round, which probably cost him the masters and didn't help at the US open. The difference there is you can scramble and make your par or bogey but a muirfield those pars look to turn in to bogeys and the bogeys double bogeys as the course looks pretty unforgiving if you are missing gir's and fairways.

Stay clear of Western Park at 9am on Sunday. I'm there!

Haha what a course that is! I remember playing a junior league match vs them about 15 years ago and I holed a wedge for eagle and was really chuffed with myself except when I went to get the ball out of the hole someone had done a great big dump in it and I got pony all over my hand. Absolutely horrible. Hahahahaa

Just been looking down bet365.com's odds for the Open, and another outsider id like to throw out there who could be worth a first round leader bet could be Tom Lehman. He has played very nicely on the champions tour this year, and being a past open winner, he knows how to get the job done on a links.

Anyone who has watched Tom play, as i have several times, will know he has exactly the sort of ball flight required in the wind and is more than comfortable flighting the ball low if necessary, whilst still possessing enough length to be realistically competitive if the course plays fast and firm.

That's worth a look for sure, if we look back at The Open in recent years Greg Norman, Tom Watson and Marc Calcavechia have all lead after the opening round or been in the top 2/3 leaders anyway. They will have been 150-250/1 as well. I had a speculative £2 bet on Greg Norman that year on Betfair to win it at 1000/1 (maximum odds) as I had a spare couple of quid in my account after all my other picks. I didn't bother with the place as I didn't have enough funds left and I was going wild for the first 3 days as Greg sat top of the pile. I should have layed him off but I wasn't familiar with how you did it and neither did I have enough money to put in my account to place the lay. I was gutted when he just missed out and also not having the place was even worse.