Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

London Leicester fans

Having looked at the train prices to get to and from Leicester on the evenings of the CL game against Porto, I am actually tempted to hire a car. Thrifty from Tower Bridge Road will do me a compact for £40 -pick up at 4pm and drop back at 8.30am. I have my own insurance and so wouldn't need any additionals. If I knew for certain that I could get another 3 or 4 it would be well worth it as the price of petrol split between 4 or 5 would be nothing much. Anyone genuinely interested?

Edited by Renart

On 14 September 2016 at 14:17, Renart said:

Having looked at the train prices to get to and from Leicester on the evenings of the CL game against Porto, I am actually tempted to hire a car. Thrifty from Tower Bridge Road will do me a compact for £40 -pick up at 4pm and drop back at 8.30am. I have my own insurance and so wouldn't need any additionals. If I knew for certain that I could get another 3 or 4 it would be well worth it as the price of petrol split between 4 or 5 would be nothing much. Anyone genuinely interested?

I'm sorted for Porto but definitely interested for Copenhagen! Would happily contribute to the cost also as its way cheaper than the train. 

In other business the Bruge game at Stags Head was immense! Air con broke and they wouldn't open the doors because there was a dodgy vehicle outside meaning they had to close the road. It just made the experience even more memorable!

14 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

In other business the Bruge game at Stags Head was immense! Air con broke and they wouldn't open the doors because there was a dodgy vehicle outside meaning they had to close the road. It just made the experience even more memorable!

I had no idea that there was a 'bomb scare' for the majority of the match. Great atmosphere as usual.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Renart said:

I had no idea that there was a 'bomb scare' for the majority of the match. Great atmosphere as usual.

I didn't until I went out at half time, it's probably the hottest I've ever been in a pub but the atmosphere was tremendous.

Cracking shout @Ric Flair - loved watching the game in there.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

I didn't until I went out at half time, it's probably the hottest I've ever been in a pub but the atmosphere was tremendous.

Cracking shout @Ric Flair - loved watching the game in there.

You were in the Stag's Head? If I had known I would have bought you a pint.

Are you sure that the bomb scare wasn't something to do with you? Did you tell any of the marginalized groups that you might have offended where you were going to be? :ph34r: :thumbup: 

Edited by Renart

On 9/17/2016 at 14:40, Renart said:

You were in the Stag's Head? If I had known I would have bought you a pint.

Are you sure that the bomb scare wasn't something to do with you? Did you tell any of the marginalized groups that you might have offended where you were going to be? :ph34r: :thumbup: 

lol Certainly nothing to do with me!

I would certainly have got you one as well, I wasn't sure if I could get there but had time in the end, was delighted to walk in, see a few shirts and a sign behind the bar that confirmed that confirmed it was a City pub, great atmosphere and ten times better than it would have been watching in the hotel bar.

Edited by MattP

23 hours ago, jaspal1000 said:

Hello!
Anyone travelling from south London/Sussex/Gatwick to the champions league home game against Porto (27/09). Considering car share?

29 minutes ago, jaspal1000 said:

Yes

I will be in central London (although I live in Southwark), if genuine then where and when? Just need to put the pieces together as I can't imagine that you will want to come central. This would be far cheaper than train though. DM me.

16 hours ago, Lukey Boi said:

I'm planning on travelling up from Hammersmith don't know whether to get on the train.. Getting back for the morning is gonna be a nightmare 

Have included Lukey Boi as he might also be interested.

On 20/09/2016 at 13:43, Renart said:

I will be in central London (although I live in Southwark), if genuine then where and when? Just need to put the pieces together as I can't imagine that you will want to come central. This would be far cheaper than train though. DM me.

Have included Lukey Boi as he might also be interested.

Hey, did anything end up getting arranged here? I'm also in Central London and have just seen the train prices.. Would be up for joining you guys if you're still driving/there is space!

Think it has been mentioned in this thread before but in case anyone not aware - travelling up to a weeknight game anytime after about 3.30pm, it's much much cheaper to travel from Euston via Nuneaton on the way up. The 16.46 to Nuneaton tomorrow is still only £18 (think the advance tickets first go on sale for £6) and can get from nuneaton to leicester for less than a fiver. 

That route has saved me hundreds of pounds compared to what would have paid going direct to Leicester on-peak

• Like 2

4 hours ago, owen said:

Hey, did anything end up getting arranged here? I'm also in Central London and have just seen the train prices.. Would be up for joining you guys if you're still driving/there is space!

I sucked it up and booked a train (travelling early before the prices are crazy) for this one but I am still open to ideas for future travel. What @Shrenchel says in the post above is also interesting.

On 26/09/2016 at 13:46, Shrenchel said:

Think it has been mentioned in this thread before but in case anyone not aware - travelling up to a weeknight game anytime after about 3.30pm, it's much much cheaper to travel from Euston via Nuneaton on the way up. The 16.46 to Nuneaton tomorrow is still only £18 (think the advance tickets first go on sale for £6) and can get from nuneaton to leicester for less than a fiver. 

That route has saved me hundreds of pounds compared to what would have paid going direct to Leicester on-peak

Wish I'd seen this. Ended up paying £52 for a single on Tuesday, staying in a shitheap that night for £40 then first train Weds at 4:45 to try cushion the blow... 

Any other tips for future ticket prices would be magic. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Putting in an early shout if those heading to Sevilla game at king power via train from London are interested to travel together? Just to make more of an occasion of it. As long as I get a ticket! 

Could set up a group on www.meetup.com as well if people are interested.