Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mackiepas

Saturday 3pm

Without doubt my favourite time to go to a game is Saturday at 3pm. However I do understand that TV is so important for finance in football. My solution therefore is to allow Saturday 3pm games to be televised. The reason they aren't right now is because they supposedly hurt attendances? Well I think they would hurt attendances less than moving the games.

Also I don't think fans of other teams are not going to go to their own games just because our game in on TV at 3pm on a Saturday. If they do this everyone would be a winner. Fans get to keep Saturday 3pm kick offs, and the TV companies still get the same amount of live games. In fact the TV companies would probably be better off doing this, because they wouldn't piss as many non football fans off by dominating Saturday evening schedules like they do now.

Without doubt my favourite time to go to a game is Saturday at 3pm. However I do understand that TV is so important for finance in football. My solution therefore is to allow Saturday 3pm games to be televised. The reason they aren't right now is because they supposedly hurt attendances? Well I think they would hurt attendances less than moving the games.

Also I don't think fans of other teams are not going to go to their own games just because our game in on TV at 3pm on a Saturday. If they do this everyone would be a winner. Fans get to keep Saturday 3pm kick offs, and the TV companies still get the same amount of live games. In fact the TV companies would probably be better off doing this, because they wouldn't piss as many non football fans off by dominating Saturday evening schedules like they do now.

Nah.

And your wrong about the main reason they don't do it at Saturday 3pm. Nothing to do with attendances, everything to do with TV ratings. If 100s of thousands of football fans are attending games watching their own team 3-5 on a Saturday afternoon they aren't going to be watching Sky. Lower TV ratings. reduced advertising revenue. Whole thing falls apart.

EDIT: Not to mention the thousands playing football on a Saturday afternoon who would otherwise be watching.

Nah.

And your wrong about the main reason they don't do it at Saturday 3pm. Nothing to do with attendances, everything to do with TV ratings. If 100s of thousands of football fans are attending games watching their own team 3-5 on a Saturday afternoon they aren't going to be watching Sky. Lower TV ratings. reduced advertising revenue. Whole thing falls apart.

EDIT: Not to mention the thousands playing football on a Saturday afternoon who would otherwise be watching.

I know that reason. But I think that is too much of a black and white way of looking at it. Half the teams each week are playing away games, by definition one side has to be, so the fans of those games are mostly able to watch.

Also starting a game at 5:20 is hardly any better for anyone who has gone to or played in a game that day. Unless they all live on the doorstep of the ground.

I just think if they are going to trial Thursday night games, why not trial Saturday 3pm games? They wont know how it will pan out advertising wise unless they at least test it.

I know that reason. But I think that is too much of a black and white way of looking at it. Half the teams each week are playing away games, by definition one side has to be, so the fans of those games are mostly able to watch.

Also starting a game at 5:20 is hardly any better for anyone who has gone to or played in a game that day. Unless they all live on the doorstep of the ground.

I just think if they are going to trial Thursday night games, why not trial Saturday 3pm games? They wont know how it will pan out advertising wise unless they at least test it.

It doesn't matter there are still about 600,000 people at games in the Premier League and Championship alone week in week out they aren't going to do anything to jepordise their profit margin.

Also it aint really gonna work if your only showing one game at 3pm, which is the only way to do it really, as where possible they're going to show games at different times to maxmise viewing figures. They still have 3/4 other slots to fill. So it's a drop in the ocean

They only way you'll see Saturday 3pm televised games is if Sky up the amount of games they show so games are on 12:45, 3pm, 5.15 and the two on Sunday.

12:45 and 5:20 games are designed around people pre game and piling out of football grounds and straight into a pub to watch the next match (which quite a few do)

It doesn't matter there are still about 600,000 people at games in the Premier League and Championship alone week in week out they aren't going to do anything to jepordise their profit margin.

Also it aint really gonna work if your only showing one game at 3pm, which is the only way to do it really, as where possible they're going to show games at different times to maxmise viewing figures. They still have 3/4 other slots to fill. So it's a drop in the ocean

They only way you'll see Saturday 3pm televised games is if Sky up the amount of games they show so games are on 12:45, 3pm, 5.15 and the two on Sunday.

12:45 and 5:20 games are designed around people pre game and piling out of football grounds and straight into a pub to watch the next match (which quite a few do)

I'm sorry I don't get what you are saying?

There are 70 million people in this country, a tiny percentage of those go to games each week, of which half the sides are away so they can't all go. There is still plenty of people to watch the games.

Playing games at 5:20 on Saturday or 7:45 on Friday is better for TV audiences? I think not. Most people are busy doing other things at those times. I'm talking about the neutrals not the fans of the teams playing.

Yes they would only show one game at 3pm, but they only show one game at all the other times anyway? So I'm not sure what you mean by that?

I would suggest they trial it and see. We can both make as many assumptions as we like, but only real live testing will tell for sure.

I'm sorry I don't get what you are saying?

There are 70 million people in this country, a tiny percentage of those go to games each week, of which half the sides are away so they can't all go. There is still plenty of people to watch the games.

Playing games at 5:20 on Saturday or 7:45 on Friday is better for TV audiences? I think not. Most people are busy doing other things at those times. I'm talking about the neutrals not the fans of the teams playing.

Yes they would only show one game at 3pm, but they only show one game at all the other times anyway? So I'm not sure what you mean by that?

I would suggest they trial it and see. We can both make as many assumptions as we like, but only real live testing will tell for sure.

Yes they are 70 million people in the country, that's irrelevant skys viewing figures for games aren't 70 million are they. 600,000 is a very decent proportion of sky's viewing figures. And as I say, that's just attendances for Premeir League and Championship. Ignoring the rest of the football league there are thousands of clubs involved in football up and down the country from 23 steps of non league football all playing, even at the lower levels their could be 40 or 50 people pretty much present kicking off at 2pm -3pm. On a Saturday afternoon a lot of Sky's potential viewers are going to be busy, much more so than at any other time, yes, the away team of the team would probably watch, but then they'd watch if it was on at any other time, and they wouldn't lose thousands and thousands of netural spectators by televising at 3pm.

When I used to play, I used to finish, go the pub, watch the 5.25 game, if it was at 3pm, I'd be busy, it's simple marketing startegy for Sky. Believe me 3pm TV games wont be something they haven't thought of it's just not commerically a good idea for them.

My point about there only being one game at 3pm is that it's a drop in the Ocean, they'd only be getting rid of one TV game and there would still be fans being put out as there would still be games on Friday/Sunday/Monday. So it's not really a big help.

Maybe at some point in the future it'll be like in some other countries where the games are arranged across the weekend so that every game can be televised and they're all at different times. I know they have a similar sort of thing in Spain and it's definitely the case in Poland - although they only have eight fixtures to squeeze in over the weekend (two Friday, three Saturday, two Sunday and one Monday).

Something like this for the Premiership, for example:

Friday 8pm

Saturday 12pm

Saturday 2pm

Saturday 4pm

Saturday 6pm

Sunday 12pm

Sunday 2pm

Sunday 4pm

Sunday 6pm

Monday 8pm

I'd hate that really, but could well be the future.

Maybe at some point in the future it'll be like in some other countries where the games are arranged across the weekend so that every game can be televised and they're all at different times. I know they have a similar sort of thing in Spain and it's definitely the case in Poland - although they only have eight fixtures to squeeze in over the weekend (two Friday, three Saturday, two Sunday and one Monday).

Something like this for the Premiership, for example:

Friday 8pm

Saturday 12pm

Saturday 2pm

Saturday 4pm

Saturday 6pm

Sunday 12pm

Sunday 2pm

Sunday 4pm

Sunday 6pm

Monday 8pm

I'd hate that really, but could well be the future.

I think I'd just turn my back on the game if something like that happened.

Yes they are 70 million people in the country, that's irrelevant skys viewing figures for games aren't 70 million are they. 600,000 is a very decent proportion of sky's viewing figures. And as I say, that's just attendances for Premeir League and Championship. Ignoring the rest of the football league there are thousands of clubs involved in football up and down the country from 23 steps of non league football all playing, even at the lower levels their could be 40 or 50 people pretty much present kicking off at 2pm -3pm. On a Saturday afternoon a lot of Sky's potential viewers are going to be busy, much more so than at any other time, yes, the away team of the team would probably watch, but then they'd watch if it was on at any other time, and they wouldn't lose thousands and thousands of netural spectators by televising at 3pm.

When I used to play, I used to finish, go the pub, watch the 5.25 game, if it was at 3pm, I'd be busy, it's simple marketing startegy for Sky. Believe me 3pm TV games wont be something they haven't thought of it's just not commerically a good idea for them.

My point about there only being one game at 3pm is that it's a drop in the Ocean, they'd only be getting rid of one TV game and there would still be fans being put out as there would still be games on Friday/Sunday/Monday. So it's not really a big help.

Well I know of pubs that used to show illegal Saturday 3pm games on TV and they were packed, which suggests there is an audience demand for that slot. I'm fully aware of all your points, but I still don't think that they wouldn't get enough people to watch at that time.

Whether or not that would be less inconvenient for fans or not I don't know, but if a few of our TV games had just been left at Saturday 3pm kick offs, and been on TV as well, I don't think some of the fans, including myself would have minded as much. I'm sick and tired of having to keep changing all my weekend schedules to fit around the TV. It would make a nice change for them to fit it around us instead.

Well I know of pubs that used to show illegal Saturday 3pm games on TV and they were packed, which suggests there is an audience demand for that slot. I'm fully aware of all your points, but I still don't think that they wouldn't get enough people to watch at that time.

Whether or not that would be less inconvenient for fans or not I don't know, but if a few of our TV games had just been left at Saturday 3pm kick offs, and been on TV as well, I don't think some of the fans, including myself would have minded as much. I'm sick and tired of having to keep changing all my weekend schedules to fit around the TV. It would make a nice change for them to fit it around us instead.

Went to brum a few weeks ago and there was a big sports bar showing the villa game and the west brom games live, the place was rammed at 3 in the afternoon.

Your both missing the point

I am not saying there is NO audience, (Obviously a pub in Birmingham is going to be packed if it's showing two of the citys teams) There is a significantly smaller, national, viewing figures. This is why Sky wont do it. If they do it wont be at the expense of a time when they get higher viewing figures.

Friday night games don't bother me, personally it means i can go too two games over the weekend period, however that's just me. It's unfair on supporters who work late on Fridays and are unable to go, plus if you've had a long day at work on the friday all you want to do is rest for the rest of the evening. I'm not keen on Sunday or Monday games as Sunday's there isn't much transport plus many will be prepared for work/college or school. Monday nights a midweek next morning work?

I don't think it's the club's fault i think the football league as contract with sky, which means they can change any fixture they like. So Leicester don't have a choice in the matter!

Roll on the time when you can buy a season ticket to watch all your clubs games televised... I'll sit at home and recreate filbo in my living room.

Can I piss on your floor and throw the contents of the shredder in the air at kick-off?

I am not saying there is NO audience, (Obviously a pub in Birmingham is going to be packed if it's showing two of the citys teams) There is a significantly smaller, national, viewing figures. This is why Sky wont do it. If they do it wont be at the expense of a time when they get higher viewing figures.

Games kicking off at 3pm on Saturdays are not televised because the Premier League does not offer these games for tv auction. The times and dates of televised games are determined by the Premier League according to their own requirements, not those of tv companies.

Can I piss on your floor and throw the contents of the shredder in the air at kick-off?

It's like that now on a normal day.

I'm not missing the point... I was just telling him about that pub.

Archived