Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

If We Fail To Get Promoted, What Changes Should We Make?

What about the manager? Because when Pearson goes (and will delight many) the next guy will have the same pressure, the same speculation. Does it help?

I think a season and a half for real progress is long enough - less than that and unless it is a Sousa 'we're going down situation' you don't know anything about a guy after a handful of games. I think if you go the equivalent of a quarter of the season generating relegation form then questions should be asked - if this had been Niges first 9 games rather than a year/60 games in he would be walking, so in effect he is trading on the goodwill of earlier in the season - same with a player really, couple of poor games and it is a blip - 10 means there is room for a rest/change.

Two or three more defeats and we could be back in 8th which after 9th and 8th in the past 2 seasons could not be seen as progress. The wages thing I don't buy as it is ultimately the board who decide that sort of thing - think, if the board said go spend £20 or £30 m to get us up and you spent £10m and failed you would be gone anyway so you gotta go with it and do your best - Sven did his and paid the price I think Nige will pay for failing to get promoted and too many assets being sold off cheap or losing their value after joining us.

That said, if he gets us up, he will have the powers of a miracle worker and for that alone he should be given at least past Xmas in the Prem - can't see it though, so ultimately I would change the manager next season for failing to be able to capitalise on the (few) good things he has done

I think a season and a half for real progress is long enough - less than that and unless it is a Sousa 'we're going down situation' you don't know anything about a guy after a handful of games. I think if you go the equivalent of a quarter of the season generating relegation form then questions should be asked - if this had been Niges first 9 games rather than a year/60 games in he would be walking, so in effect he is trading on the goodwill of earlier in the season - same with a player really, couple of poor games and it is a blip - 10 means there is room for a rest/change.

Two or three more defeats and we could be back in 8th which after 9th and 8th in the past 2 seasons could not be seen as progress. The wages thing I don't buy as it is ultimately the board who decide that sort of thing - think, if the board said go spend £20 or £30 m to get us up and you spent £10m and failed you would be gone anyway so you gotta go with it and do your best - Sven did his and paid the price I think Nige will pay for failing to get promoted and too many assets being sold off cheap or losing their value after joining us.

That said, if he gets us up, he will have the powers of a miracle worker and for that alone he should be given at least past Xmas in the Prem - can't see it though, so ultimately I would change the manager next season for failing to be able to capitalise on the (few) good things he has done

When I found out that Pearson was gonna rejoin the club to replace that tit, Sven, I was over the moon.

Discipline, good signings and defensive solidity would return to the club! I was well chuffed, and said so on here.

However, I have to agree with you in some respects. I thought Nige would turn things round last season pretty instantly (maybe I was naive) and then we finished in a lower position than we were in when Sven left, I think? (Im sure you can confirm that?)

HOWEVER, like others, I said 'give him the summer'. Again, I was quite disillusioned at the start of the season to be fair, with the squad we had I suggested we would finish 7th.

I made some errors... I thought Vardy would be a really good signing and that even Futacs might be the player for the 'long ball game'.

But the squad IMO was lacking a couple of players of real quality to last the pace of the highly demanding Championship.

Now, despite doing better than I thought we would, some of the weaknesses of Pearson appear to have become apparent. His r/ship with certain aspects of the media, his inability to turn round our atrocious away results and the tactical errors that have been made over recent months have all resulted in us being in a position where I expected us to be AND have demonstrated how we have lost momentum at exactly the wrong time.

So I do agree and I don't... 18 months in a job really isn't that long, but if it was clear to me after 18 months that we were showing REAL signs of progression, and maintaining it ( this is crucial) then I'd feel more positive.

Have I given up? No, of course not.. We are 6th and it's all to play for. But the jury actually now is out, for me on Pearson, in terms of whether he's as good as many (including myself) have made out. I wouldn't have said this at the start of his current tenure.

The two big changes that I think Pearson should have made to the squad are strengthening up the midfield and introducing some pace on both flanks.

The one thing I absolutely would not have done is to get David Nugent (a player who strives playing off the shoulder of the last defender) wasted out on the flanks.

Not really - he was quite good when he got here and I thought he would become the new Walshie, but really he has just stayed what he already was , a solid defender.

Really? Whenever I saw him play for Forest he looked overweight, slow, clumsy and often out of position. He's been arguably the best defender in the division this season.

I think you can call that an improvement

mass clear out of the old pearson guard Wellens,Gallagher,Dyer and Svens signings Konchesky,Beckford,Danns and a couple of recent signings Vardy and Futacs. Then I'd spend zero £'s in the summer and get in Jerome Thomas (out of contract) Liam Trotter (out of contract) and Ebanks Blake (out of contract) Which would add the championship experience and muscle we need to moved things on another level.

3 more players should do the trick as long as getting rid of the deadwood

Peter Whittingham

Chris Burke

Aaron Cresswell

Why would Whittingham come to us when he'll be playing in the prem next season?

Why would Whittingham come to us when he'll be playing in the prem next season?

He wouldn't be a regular for Cardiff in the prem, he has always striked me as a top end championship player and nothing more, would give us that experience and quality we are lacking in the centre of the park imo

He wouldn't be a regular for Cardiff in the prem, he has always striked me as a top end championship player and nothing more, would give us that experience and quality we are lacking in the centre of the park imo

he is probably their first name on the team sheet.

Behave yourself.

When I found out that Pearson was gonna rejoin the club to replace that tit, Sven, I was over the moon.

Discipline, good signings and defensive solidity would return to the club! I was well chuffed, and said so on here.

However, I have to agree with you in some respects. I thought Nige would turn things round last season pretty instantly (maybe I was naive) and then we finished in a lower position than we were in when Sven left, I think? (Im sure you can confirm that?)

HOWEVER, like others, I said 'give him the summer'. Again, I was quite disillusioned at the start of the season to be fair, with the squad we had I suggested we would finish 7th.

I made some errors... I thought Vardy would be a really good signing and that even Futacs might be the player for the 'long ball game'.

But the squad IMO was lacking a couple of players of real quality to last the pace of the highly demanding Championship.

Now, despite doing better than I thought we would, some of the weaknesses of Pearson appear to have become apparent. His r/ship with certain aspects of the media, his inability to turn round our atrocious away results and the tactical errors that have been made over recent months have all resulted in us being in a position where I expected us to be AND have demonstrated how we have lost momentum at exactly the wrong time.

So I do agree and I don't... 18 months in a job really isn't that long, but if it was clear to me after 18 months that we were showing REAL signs of progression, and maintaining it ( this is crucial) then I'd feel more positive.

Have I given up? No, of course not.. We are 6th and it's all to play for. But the jury actually now is out, for me on Pearson, in terms of whether he's as good as many (including myself) have made out. I wouldn't have said this at the start of his current tenure.

The two big changes that I think Pearson should have made to the squad are strengthening up the midfield and introducing some pace on both flanks.

The one thing I absolutely would not have done is to get David Nugent (a player who strives playing off the shoulder of the last defender) wasted out on the flanks.

Excellent post col

We are still exceeding your pre season expectations/prediction Col ;) (7th wasn't it)

I still think he's the man for us but he does need to improve himself before he can make us real promotion contenders. Is he too stubborn to change? I'd like to think not but it is a real test for him now.

I have already written this season off which is unusual for me but I just think we have ran out of steam at a pivotal stage. It will be interesting to see how we come back from the international break though

This season it would be good if gus Poyet leaves Brighton for Reading as it would surely derail their prom push, however if that means we miss out on Adkins as he would surely then go to Brighton I think we would miss out on a very bright young manager (should Big Nige be sacked)

I think we need to build on what we've got to give us more options away from home and more legs in the season in order of priority.

A defensive midfielder or versatile centre back who can play a holding position

A left back and a right back

A Attacking midfielder with Pace (Like Dyer but can score more)...like the Watford kid, Sako or Ince type of player

Sell a few of the players that aren't great at being fringe players and don't change the game when they do come on. So I like Gally but bringing him on for Knocky is never going to be a game changer until he gets his confidence back and being a fringe player ain't going to give him the confidence he needs. Others in this category would be Waghorn,

I'd like to see us sell some nice soup.

Under Delia's guidance Norwich brought out a nice cauliflower broth that caused me to drive back almost the whole way to Leicester with all 4 windows and the sun roof open in near zero temperatures.

That's made my day. Take a bow son.

I think we need to build on what we've got to give us more options away from home and more legs in the season in order of priority.

A defensive midfielder or versatile centre back who can play a holding position

A left back and a right back

A Attacking midfielder with Pace (Like Dyer but can score more)...like the Watford kid, Sako or Ince type of player

Sell a few of the players that aren't great at being fringe players and don't change the game when they do come on. So I like Gally but bringing him on for Knocky is never going to be a game changer until he gets his confidence back and being a fringe player ain't going to give him the confidence he needs. Others in this category would be Waghorn,

Do we really need a new rb? I thought de Laet had been quite solid this year?

Archived