Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

If We Fail To Get Promoted, What Changes Should We Make?

If we fail to get promotion and have yet another season in the lovely Championship, what changes would need to be made?

Forget about changing manager, we have had enough threads on that already.

What I want your opinions on is this...

Would you stick with the majority of the squad we have now?

What players aren't good enough anymore, regardless if we stay in the Championship?

What types of players would make our side stronger?

What players would you like to see come through the door, if we have enough money?

Would you give Danns and Beckford another chance, or would you try and sell or release them?

What would you like to see, if we stay in the Championship next season?

I know we have had similar threads like this before, but if you don't want to answer to the thread, just visit my reputation page, and enjoy my repped banter instead.

Kingfox

Largely depends on the manager. I'd love to see them give Pearson 6 months to prove himself.

I think, we have a really strong spine to the squad but our strength in depth is looking wafer thin. Defensively we have been pretty good all season - the obvious thing for me would be to bring in some midfielders.

That then would mean we gotta get rid of some dead wood. Gallagher, Wellens, Danns, Beckford, Vardy out on loan - at least. Waghorn I think offers more than Vardy. Futacs? Doesn't look like Pearson rates him. Should Pearson be here I reckon he'll go.

If Pearson does go. Then I still think Wellens, Gallagher and company will be moved on.

Would you stick with the majority of the squad we have now?

What players aren't good enough anymore, regardless if we stay in the Championship?

What types of players would make our side stronger?

What players would you like to see come through the door, if we have enough money?

Would you give Danns and Beckford another chance, or would you try and sell or release them?

New left back, if only for cover, or to give Konchesky competition. I'd keep the spine but fringey deadwood types like Gallagher, Wellens, Futacs, Waghorn and Vardy can go.

We need a decent centre mid to actually take control of a game, there's no leader in there. Charlie Adam?

Danns & Beckford can join the deadwood sailing out of the door.

If we stay in the championship - just more of a cutting edge to break down these teams that park the bus and much better finishing. A flowing move with 18 passes and 6 Knockaert step-overs is no good if the strikers hit it wide or the cross hits the first man. And personally a 30% reduction in match day tickets/food etc would be great but that's pie in the sky.

If we fail to get promotion and have yet another season in the lovely Championship, what changes would need to be made?

Forget about changing manager, we have had enough threads on that already.

What I want your opinions on is this...

Would you stick with the majority of the squad we have now? Yes

What players aren't good enough anymore, regardless if we stay in the Championship? Wellens , Gally, Danns Beckford, Vardy , Waghorn ,

What types of players would make our side stronger? Winger, Strong CM , left back

What players would you like to see come through the door, if we have enough money? Trotter , Keane ( loan), Sako, Roger Johnson/ Curtis Davis, Kevin Doyle/ SEB

Would you give Danns and Beckford another chance, or would you try and sell or release them? No need to cut the wage bill before we can buy IMO

I know we have had similar threads like this before, but if you don't want to answer to the thread, just visit my reputation page, and enjoy my repped banter instead.

Kingfox

Replace Kasper with a more dominant, physical keeper.

Replace Konch with an RDL style left back.

Buy a massive unit at centre back. Need more height in the team. 6ft 3 minimum height and need strength with it.

Move Schlupp to the left wing.

Buy a pacey, experienced striker to partner Wood.

Sell Kasper, Konch, Danns, Beckford, Gally, Wellens, Vardy and Waghorn.

Replace Kasper with a more dominant, physical keeper.

Replace Konch with an RDL style left back.

Buy a massive unit at centre back. Need more height in the team. 6ft 3 minimum height and need strength with it.

Move Schlupp to the left wing.

Buy a pacey, experienced striker to partner Wood.

Sell Kasper, Konch, Danns, Beckford, Gally, Wellens, Vardy and Waghorn.

Agree with most but - Kasper has been excellent this season, why we'd want to get rid is beyond me! Get some competition yes but - he's one of the only leaders and motivators on the pitch currently!

Would you stick with the majority of the squad we have now? yes, i think most are good enough for the championship.

What players aren't good enough anymore, regardless if we stay in the Championship? dont think they is many tbf....

What types of players would make our side stronger? dominant midfielder

What players would you like to see come through the door, if we have enough money? some big names or our proven... *cough* Yakubu *cough

Would you give Danns and Beckford another chance, or would you try and sell or release them? Beckford no and Danns Yes

What would you like to see, if we stay in the Championship next season

Promotion

I'm surprised to see kasper mentioned in the way of replacement. He's very young and can only get better with experience. I agree with the deadwood of vardy. Waggy. Gallagher. But I've always rated wellens. Maybe he's gone past his peak but I like the way he battles for the ball.

Maybe it's the fact that the squad is to small and there's not enough replacements to compete for there place.

If we don't go up, then I'm afraid Pearson as failed his mission. People say it takes four years to build a good side, but i'm not so sure look how many trophies Chelsea as won. At the end of the day he's the man who picks the team, decides on tactics and the players he signs and sells.

Sven to be fair didn't have the time Nigel as had, he was sacked way too early, he spent quite a bit of cash but it was a new squad that needed to gel. Though Sven had his faults over than that, Nigel as had two attempts to get us into the premier league and so far it looks like his third attempt is going to be unsuccessful.

Sven left behind a good squad, the odd minor change was needed but Nigel decided to go the whole way to dismantle the squad and start from scratch, was this the right decision?

Things I've agreed with Nigel-

Selling Mills- Waste of money, only here because of the money. Awful captain aswell.

Selling Bamba- Liked Sol but seemed very clumsy at times.

Offloading Steve Howard- Was past his sell by date long ago the same with Matt Oakley.

Offloading Chris Weale- Kasper simply shown him up, very error prone

Bringing in Chris Wood- Clever signing, off form at the moment though

Giving Lloyd Dyer another chance

Giving Gallagher another chance

Signing Wes Morgan

Signing Knocky

Things i've disagreed with-

Offloading Vassell- still had a lot to offer

The way he handled Jermaine Beckford

The same with Neil Danns

Giving Wellens another chance

Giving Waghorn another chance

Playing Vardy too much, when he's simply not good enough

Decided to play Marshall on the wing, when I've noticed when he played well in the centre he scored a few goals.

Offloading Schlupp in the first place

His response to a fan after the leeds game

Didn't bring in a third signing in the recent transfer window.

Allowing the team off the hook to often

Selling Max Gradel a few years ago

Would you stick with the majority of the squad we have now? Yes

What players aren't good enough anymore, regardless if we stay in the Championship? Wellens, Gallagher, Waghorn, Vardy and Futacs aren't up to a promotion challenge.

What types of players would make our side stronger? A nasty bastard in midfield, a genuinely clinical finisher and a bit more pace on the wings. (Trotter, Murray, Adomah)

What players would you like to see come through the door, if we have enough money? Bite in midfield is vital, and a spot of pace on the wings. Trotter and a pacey winger are vital.

Would you give Danns and Beckford another chance, or would you try and sell or release them? With their wages, they should be outstanding and aren't. Dispensable.

Would you stick with the majority of the squad we have now? yes, i think most are good enough for the championship.

What players aren't good enough anymore, regardless if we stay in the Championship? dont think they is many tbf....

What types of players would make our side stronger? dominant midfielder

What players would you like to see come through the door, if we have enough money? some big names or our proven... *cough* Yakubu *cough

Would you give Danns and Beckford another chance, or would you try and sell or release them? Beckford no and Danns Yes

What would you like to see, if we stay in the Championship next season

Promotion

I agree with this.

I also think a lot more time needs to be spent on the training ground working on defending set pieces and lofted balls. I really like both Keane and Morgan, but it seems as though the few goals we are conceding are from high balls.

Anybody have any idea roughly how many goals we've conceded through headed balls and set pieces this season in comparison to other goals?

We've proved that we can play well defensively by conceding very few goals all season, and never losing by more than a single goal (I think?). We've also proved that we can attack and score plenty.

As awful as it sounds, I would quite like to see us playing in a similar way to how Chelsea did whilst under Mourinho. Grab a goal and defend the lead. It's boring football, but it'll get us in to the premiership. It'd be nice to check up on stats for our games and consistently see 60%+ possession in our favour. If we're going to play in the premiership at any stage, our players need to understand the importance of making good, solid passes and building possession.. because whilst not in possession against premiership clubs, we'll be hit hard. Just my personal opinion,

Quite simply, we have to offload Beckford, Danns, Wellens & Gallagher.

The large or improved contracts they're on means we can't afford them next season and their wages have hampered our chances of having a squad that is strong enough in depth this season. If necessary, give them a free transfer.

Konchesky has to go to make way for someone younger and that's another large wage gone.

The wage cull may even have to go as far as Kasper or Nugent and certainly one of Futacs/Vardy/Waghorn needs to go.

Next season, we definitely need to have a DM in the squad, not necessarily to play in every game, but there will be games where we do need one.

The rest is a case of padding out the squad with players we can afford but expect to see a few academy players in there

I think it's really important that we keep the core of this team together. We've got the makings of a very good squad here, but I'd like to see us move a few fringe players on and bring in around 7 or 8 players - some for the first team, some to give us that strength in depth we've been lacking this season.

Out:

Vardy (Loan) - I still think he might have soemthing to offer us, but he needs a spell away to get some goals and confidence.

Wellens - Might be worth keeping him around for the experience, but I think on the balance of things, it's time for him to move on.

Danns - We're paying too much money for such little quality. Get rid.

Beckford - See Danns.

Futacs - What's the point of him? If we can offload him, we definitely should.

In:

New starting LB - Maybe someone on loan? Someone like Zeki Fryers or Jack Robinson would be ideal.

New starting CB - If we could get Keane permanently, that'd be great. But I'd like us to bring in someone a bit more physical - Danny Shittu would be a good signing IMO.

Then I'd like us to bring in a couple of midfielders, a striker - just cover to make sure we've got good options on the bench.

I'd do the same as I would have done at the start of this season.

I'd play a creative, attacking midfield player (we'll have to sign one) alongside Drinkwater in the middle, backed up by a physically tough, defensive minded midfielder playing behind them (we'll have to sign one).

I'd get pace on both flanks (we'll have to sign two quick and tricky wingers).

I'd stop Kasper kicking long and play a shorter, passing game.

That's it for me

Vardy, Konch, Wellens, Danns, Beckford, Marshall, Futacs, King, Gally... They can all go. None are good enough IMO.

If we don't go up, then I'm afraid Pearson as failed his mission. People say it takes four years to build a good side, but i'm not so sure look how many trophies Chelsea as won. At the end of the day he's the man who picks the team, decides on tactics and the players he signs and sells.

Sven to be fair didn't have the time Nigel as had, he was sacked way too early, he spent quite a bit of cash but it was a new squad that needed to gel. Though Sven had his faults over than that, Nigel as had two attempts to get us into the premier league and so far it looks like his third attempt is going to be unsuccessful.

Sven left behind a good squad, the odd minor change was needed but Nigel decided to go the whole way to dismantle the squad and start from scratch, was this the right decision?

Things I've agreed with Nigel-

Selling Mills- Waste of money, only here because of the money. Awful captain aswell.

Selling Bamba- Liked Sol but seemed very clumsy at times.

Offloading Steve Howard- Was past his sell by date long ago the same with Matt Oakley.

Offloading Chris Weale- Kasper simply shown him up, very error prone

Bringing in Chris Wood- Clever signing, off form at the moment though

Giving Lloyd Dyer another chance

Giving Gallagher another chance

Signing Wes Morgan

Signing Knocky

Things i've disagreed with-

Offloading Vassell- still had a lot to offer

The way he handled Jermaine Beckford

The same with Neil Danns

Giving Wellens another chance

Giving Waghorn another chance

Playing Vardy too much, when he's simply not good enough

Decided to play Marshall on the wing, when I've noticed when he played well in the centre he scored a few goals.

Offloading Schlupp in the first place

His response to a fan after the leeds game

Didn't bring in a third signing in the recent transfer window.

Allowing the team off the hook to often

Selling Max Gradel a few years ago

Why do you compare our situation with Chelsea's? This is laughable. When was the last time Chelsea were in the Second Division, pushing for promotion?

Eriksson left us with a squad with some talent, I concur. It was also a squad with a ridiculously high wage bill, sadly unheard of for the Championship. It almost broke our neck.

As for Beckford, I suppose he was (and still is) on high wages and we had to get him off the bill. And I do think Waghorn has improved a bit, especially from corners.

What I don't like is the fact that Pearson often misjudges the situation during second halves, bringing on the wrong players at the wrong time - and often too late (a bit of a general statement, I know).

Btw, Pearson's having his second chance at promotion with us. The season he took over from Sven can hardly count.

Agree with most but - Kasper has been excellent this season, why we'd want to get rid is beyond me! Get some competition yes but - he's one of the only leaders and motivators on the pitch currently!

He's a great shot stopper but that's about it for me. His basics are poor. He flaps and isn't commanding in his area. His distribution is absolutely dreadful, it would be absolute suicide in the Premiership when the ball would be given straight back to much more talented players who are more capable of puishing us.. Pick any game and just count how many completed passes or throws he successfully makes. Mind you, we do have training staff who's job it is is to iron out such failures. As for a leader...anyone can shout, but his dad led by example.

I like Kasper but when a cross comes in from open play or a set piece, i'm never confident he can come and claim it. If he was 3 inches taller he'd be perfect. Also he probably wouldnt be playing for us.

He's a great shot stopper but that's about it for me. His basics are poor. He flaps and isn't commanding in his area. His distribution is absolutely dreadful, it would be absolute suicide in the Premiership when the ball would be given straight back to much more talented players who are more capable of puishing us.. Pick any game and just count how many completed passes or throws he successfully makes. Mind you, we do have training staff who's job it is is to iron out such failures. As for a leader...anyone can shout, but his dad led by example.

Training staff can only do so much. Conrad Logan the prime example. You could have Ray Clemence training him and he wouldnt get any better.

Archived