Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

If We Fail To Get Promoted, What Changes Should We Make?

Well I thought I'd give my thoughts as it is my thread.

Ideally I would like quite a few players to stay, but players like Whitbread, Wellens, Gallagher, Danns, Beckford, Vardy and Futacs have to go.

We need more midfielders, we need a left-back and we need another striker.

I would like to see Keane return if possible, maybe Aaron Cresswell or Marcus Alonso to give Konchesky competition, a ball winning midfielder someone like Bridcutt or Trotter, not a fan of Drinkwater atm, but he will more than likely stay, but I would like to see someone like Stephen Gleeson come in, highly rated at MK Dons and can actually shoot on goal, while we have also been lacking a creative player in midfield, Knockaert if he stays would be the main source, but I would like to see Nick Powell or Thomas Eisfeld come in on loan. Finally we will need a striker, and I would go for Simeon Jackson as he is out of contract in the summer.

Well I thought I'd give my thoughts as it is my thread.

Ideally I would like quite a few players to stay, but players like Whitbread, Wellens, Gallagher, Danns, Beckford, Vardy and Futacs have to go.

We need more midfielders, we need a left-back and we need another striker.

I would like to see Keane return if possible, maybe Aaron Cresswell or Marcus Alonso to give Konchesky competition, a ball winning midfielder someone like Bridcutt or Trotter, not a fan of Drinkwater atm, but he will more than likely stay, but I would like to see someone like Stephen Gleeson come in, highly rated at MK Dons and can actually shoot on goal, while we have also been lacking a creative player in midfield, Knockaert if he stays would be the main source, but I would like to see Nick Powell or Thomas Eisfeld come in on loan. Finally we will need a striker, and I would go for Simeon Jackson as he is out of contract in the summer.

Can't believe the idea of keeping SSL over ZW. I understand SSL can play in more positions but not particularly well from what I see. ZW is a far better CB than SSL and with the added bonus that he can jump up in the air and head the ball which would have been extremely useful in the last two games.......

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

NEW CB

Konchesky/N LB - He's on the edge for me!

Knockaert

Drinkwater

NEW CM

NEW WINGER/LM

Nugent

Wood

This looks about right to me although I'd happily stick with Marshall out on the wing if he can regain his early season form.

I think we could easily lose Kasper this summer if we don't go up, even if its to another Championship club because I can see him wanting to leave.

But for me if we are still in the championship

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan ©

St Ledger

New LB

Knockaert

New CM

James

New Winger

Nugent

Wood

Subs - New GK, New CB, Drinkwater, King, Marshall, New Winger, New Striker

I'd do the same as I would have done at the start of this season.

I'd play a creative, attacking midfield player (we'll have to sign one) alongside Drinkwater in the middle, backed up by a physically tough, defensive minded midfielder playing behind them (we'll have to sign one).

I'd get pace on both flanks (we'll have to sign two quick and tricky wingers).

I'd stop Kasper kicking long and play a shorter, passing game.

That's it for me

Vardy, Konch, Wellens, Danns, Beckford, Marshall, Futacs, King, Gally... They can all go. None are good enough IMO.

This but I would keep Marshall

This but I would keep Marshall

Marshall is a big gamble mate.

He could become very good, or could fade into relative obscurity IMO. I'm not sure which.

I want PACE on the flanks Carlito. With a good cross to finish. Two orthodox wingers so to speak.

If there's any out there?

Marshalll should become a decent player mystery his head doesnt seem to be there at present.Whitbread I thought was good ,good in the air ,positioning,distibution really quite good but then let himself down with a couple af rash decisions.Both have quality but its a results business(cliche!)

Would you stick with the majority of the squad we have now? Would there be much of a choice? Besides being expensive, wholesale changes of personel are disruptive and we're not that far off, which is why, at times, we've been brilliant.

What players aren't good enough anymore, regardless if we stay in the Championship? Wellens, more due to age than anything.

What types of players would make our side stronger? Add a little experience and and a lot of creativity in the midfield, maybe another winger

What players would you like to see come through the door, if we have enough money? Lionel Messi, Robin Van Persie, Xavi. Well you did say if we had enough money, not realisitcally.

Would you give Danns and Beckford another chance, or would you try and sell or release them? They don't want to play for Leicester, so bye! Get money for them if we can.

What would you like to see, if we stay in the Championship next season? Morfe than anything else? A little continuity and development, rather than wholesale chopping and changing.

I'm surprised so many on here want Whitbread gone, normally not playing brings you legendary status.

If he can get fit, he would offer a lot of what people are looking for, strength, leadership, experience. But he has played a handful of games for us, and after a long term injury and rehabilitation process cut short, he looked very rusty, but showed his class after getting fit. Them got injured again.

Everyone of our current squad, those on loan apart, have proved they are good enough at this level and collectively got us top, and then second, it depends whether you consider np got the best out of actually average players, or the players are good enough but Pearson has failed to consistently get the best out of them.

New tall and strong centre back, maybe Danny Shittu etc.

New LB - Ezekiel Fryers on loan perhaps. Need someone who can get forward but be a good defender like De Laet is.

Holding midfielder - Liam Trotter . Someone to break up play and stop the runners from midfield when a cross comes in. Too many conceded like that.

Attacking Midfielder - Nick Powell on loan?

New Winger - Yannick Bolasie or Junior Stanislas . Need someone quick who can get a good ball into the box.

New Striker - someone to challenge Wood and Nugent . maybe Vellios on loan?

Get Rid:

Beckford - too high wages and not good enough.

Danns - see Beckford

Gallagher - probably on high wages, not much point if he only comes on for about 5 minutes.

Vardy (loan)

Futacs - Sell - what a waste of a signing.

Name a player who has improved under Nige.......

Name a player who has improved under Nige.......

You must have got the wrong thread, this is If We Fail To Get Promoted, What Changes Should We Make? not the Pearson In/Out thread.

I take it your change would be the manager, although you'd still say that if we finished on 120pts.

What changes would you make in the team?

Promise to not say it if we get 120 points.

I would like to see a motivator team spirit kind of manager come in because if they could get all our 'crap' players hitting the kind of form most have shown in patches then I think we would have a not too shabby side - I agree a defensive midfielder/leader on the pitch (ie Neil Lennon style) should be a priority as I don't think we have had great club captain since the days of NL/Steve Walsh/Matt Elliot.

Other than that, be nice to see everyone played in position, some belief instilled and sad to say it but some fitness put back in the side - the players themselves need to feel they have a future here and a couple of poor performances doesn't mean you are shipped out on loan or ignored.

I would get the kop back, put the away fans near it, kill all music from twenty mins before kick off until after the results are read out at the end, put sky sports on at half time on the big screen for the half time scores, get Greggs in as the caterers, lower the ticket prices and allow people to drink beer at their seats.

Marshall is a big gamble mate.

He could become very good, or could fade into relative obscurity IMO. I'm not sure which.

I want PACE on the flanks Carlito. With a good cross to finish. Two orthodox wingers so to speak.

If there's any out there?

Very true Col, not sure there are many wingers with pace that are in our price bracket ? Big Nige's dilemma in the summer, question is will it be Pearson or Adkins? lol

I would like to see a motivator team spirit kind of manager come in because if they could get all our 'crap' players hitting the kind of form most have shown in patches then I think we would have a not too shabby side - I agree a defensive midfielder/leader on the pitch (ie Neil Lennon style) should be a priority as I don't think we have had great club captain since the days of NL/Steve Walsh/Matt Elliot.

Other than that, be nice to see everyone played in position, some belief instilled and sad to say it but some fitness put back in the side - the players themselves need to feel they have a future here and a couple of poor performances doesn't mean you are shipped out on loan or ignored.

I would get the kop back, put the away fans near it, kill all music from twenty mins before kick off until after the results are read out at the end, put sky sports on at half time on the big screen for the half time scores, get Greggs in as the caterers, lower the ticket prices and allow people to drink beer at their seats.

Maybe we've got more in common than I originally thought...

What about the manager? Because when Pearson goes (and will delight many) the next guy will have the same pressure, the same speculation. Does it help?

Would just like to draw everyone's attention to this, evidence of how youthful our squad is:

tumblr_mjxlnuAa9l1rx0g0oo1_400.jpg

Our midfield in particular is very young, Drinkwater, James, Knockaert and Marshall is a pretty strong midfield four but also an exceptionally young one. These players will probably be better next season - this is something we should probably consider before deciding what changes we want to see made to the squad.

I'm surprised so many on here want Whitbread gone, normally not playing brings you legendary status.

If he can get fit, he would offer a lot of what people are looking for, strength, leadership, experience. But he has played a handful of games for us, and after a long term injury and rehabilitation process cut short, he looked very rusty, but showed his class after getting fit. Them got injured again.

Everyone of our current squad, those on loan apart, have proved they are good enough at this level and collectively got us top, and then second, it depends whether you consider np got the best out of actually average players, or the players are good enough but Pearson has failed to consistently get the best out of them.

Whitbread's one of these that I felt this year would be his year - that he'd sort out his fitness issue (because we've been good at that before under NP) but unfortunately if anything it's got worse and he's getting to a stage of his career where it'll continue to get worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if he left in the summer.

Would just like to draw everyone's attention to this, evidence of how youthful our squad is:

tumblr_mjxlnuAa9l1rx0g0oo1_400.jpg

Our midfield in particular is very young, Drinkwater, James, Knockaert and Marshall is a pretty strong midfield four but also an exceptionally young one. These players will probably be better next season - this is something we should probably consider before deciding what changes we want to see made to the squad.

I think this just highlights how valid everyone's point that experience is wanted/needed

One change that nobody seems to be anticipating is that we may need to find a replacement for morgan. He has been our best player by an absolute mile and possibly the best cb in the division. If we dont go up i suspect one of the teams that do may well have a go at signing him.

One change that nobody seems to be anticipating is that we may need to find a replacement for morgan. He has been our best player by an absolute mile and possibly the best cb in the division. If we dont go up i suspect one of the teams that do may well have a go at signing him.

Good point, although I think there will be one or two other departures should we waste this seasons efforts

I think this just highlights how valid everyone's point that experience is wanted/needed

Exactly. One reason why I feel we've done so well for the majority of the season is because our captain is 29 and has ten years experience of the game.

Archived