Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

If We Fail To Get Promoted, What Changes Should We Make?

Depends on how we finish this season

If we go out with a whimper rather than a bang I'd expect management changes which would lead to them bringing in their own guys.

If we finish strongly however, then evolving this squad rather than changing will be the order of the day.

• We need to get Konchesky, Wellens, Beckford & Danns out! Probably Gallagher too. It's a near certainty that Konchesky & Beckford are earning Premiership wages, both players were under contract to their clubs and they certainly wouldn't drop down a division for less money. Danns was also attracted away from one of Europe's biggest teams Rangers and surely can't be far off as well as the new deals awarded to Wellens & Gallagher for them to achieve parity with the new arrivals.
  • I realise he's popular on here, but I'd personally sell Schmeichel, we come up against many, many keepers better than him and it's rumoured from time to time that some bigger clubs would be willing to sign him. As part of the efforts to bring players in whilst keeping the outgoings in proportion to income I think it would be prudent to cash-in, sign a replacement where it's not actually hard to improve on him and use the money to improve elsewhere too.
  • We have a large number of forwards in proportion to our squad size, reality is we need 4 forwards, 2 of which need to be happy to be understudies and come off the bench rather than be high profile people moaning about not playing + support from our development squad, (Hopper etc) IMO. Nugent, Wood (if he can find his playing boots from the woeful performances recently) + 2 others and the support of U21's some of whom are on loan now will be plenty.
  • I'd make the signing of, or season long loan of Keane a priority.
  • We desperately need a LB, with similar skills to RDL, breaking from the back and fullback overlaps is critical to good football.
  • Midfield is a tricky one, Drinkwater, King & James isn't enough for the middle and I'm personally not aware of anyone breaking through from the development squad. We need a greater variety of skills here in order to adapt our formations better
  • Outwide, we need to find players with skills similar to Nathan Dyer & Routledge who can play both wider or as outside forwards

It's absolutely fine to have a preferred 442, but players need to be able to adapt and switch to 4231, 4411 or 451 with ease... This is more a management and coaching issue, but the mentality of the players is also important. Working on flexibility is a necessity

I think we only need to sign 3/4 players and we could wipe the league tbh.

Id say players we should sign:

Sako

Keane(Permanent)

A New CM(Although I disagree he has to be some 6ft 3 monster...just a solid playmaker type guy with vision and a good passing ability)

The best signing we could make, If Wigan get relegated go for Figuroa..top lb!

Get Rid of:

Drinkwater

Futacs

Wellens

Gallagher

Beckford

Danns

Shitbread

Konchesky

Kasper

De Laet Keane Morgan Figuroa

James (New CM)

Knocky Sako

Wood Nugent

Bench: King, Dyer, Waghorn, Vardy, Marshall, St Ledger, Schlupp.

This side wins the league, providing we get a good CM with James. King provides good cover, enough cover on the wings and 3 solid CB's.

I think we only need to sign 3/4 players and we could wipe the league tbh.

Id say players we should sign:

Sako

Keane(Permanent)

A New CM(Although I disagree he has to be some 6ft 3 monster...just a solid playmaker type guy with vision and a good passing ability)

The best signing we could make, If Wigan get relegated go for Figuroa..top lb!

Get Rid of:

Drinkwater

Futacs

Wellens

Gallagher

Beckford

Danns

Shitbread

Konchesky

Kasper

De Laet Keane Morgan Figuroa

James (New CM)

Knocky Sako

Wood Nugent

Bench: King, Dyer, Waghorn, Vardy, Marshall, St Ledger, Schlupp.

This side wins the league, providing we get a good CM with James. King provides good cover, enough cover on the wings and 3 solid CB's.

Agree with most of this except Drinkwater.

He's been pretty good up until now. When he plays well, the whole team plays well.

A new left back. Konchesky hasn't been consistent enough this season.

A new centre back, I've never been a fan of St Ledger.

At least one new winger. A proper winger, not a striker playing on the wing, not a slow centre mid playing on the wing, and not a sprinter impersonating a footballer on the wing. Until the end of the season, I'd like to see Schlupp on the left wing to see if he can be a player there. I'd suggest given a bit of time he can be.

Knockaert moved into the centre between the midfield and attack. This is undoubtedly his best position, I don't want to see him playing on the left wing ever again.

Go back to 4-4-2 with Wood and Nugent up front together. If we want to go 4-3-3, we're going to need at least one attacking wide player. Playing Nugent or Wood or any striker wide in a front 3 is not acceptable.

A new striker. Someone who can actually compete with Wood and Nugent for a starting place, someone who is capable of coming off the bench and scoring or at least creating problems for people other than our defenders (hint hint, Mr Vardy).

A new central midfielder (not Jay Emmanuel-Thomas). What kind, I'm not sure, but all season we've had games where we've struggled to win and hold onto the ball away from home, and as good as we've been on our day, there have been games where we've not driven forward with it and have looked short on ideas.

Vardy, Gallagher, Danns, Beckford, possibly Dyer and Wellens as well depending on who we bring in, can go.

Some really good, constructive points in this thread - in itself, quite surprising ! Can't help raising an eye-brow at how many want a "big, physical, monster, header-winning CB" ..... but want shot of ZW ???!! Right now, if he's even close to fit, he'd start for me as he's the closest we've got to what many of us seem to want.

I would only change one thing:

RED KITS!!!!

We need red kits it is the only way forward, I think Cardiff didn't go red enough we need red home, away and third, I've sent my designs to Top,

lcfc123redkits.jpg

I've also recommended that from now on we only sign ginger players.

After Saturday I was very much Pearson out, but I am a believer in continuity. We have been lacking that in the past few years, so maybe perseverance is the key. I dont think we will make promotion this year though.

To be honest, don't think it will be in the clubs financial interest to replace the manager and we should let Pearson continue in his role. His love for the club is undoubted and we have had a better season overall than the previous two since he went away.

I think there needs to be five or six changes in the summer, but of course it is about balancing the books and wage bill, even more than ever with the finacial fair play coming to effect. We could find our selves going down the season long loan route or even looking at the lower leagues to keep the wage bill down.

My number one priority would be a new central midfield player. I would go for Liam Trotter as the number one signing. We may have to cough up 2m, but I think he is the type of player we have been lacking.

I also think we need a new wide man to support the existing ones that we have.

Other areas to strengthen would be LB, ST, DC,

I would get rid of: Vardy, Waghorn, Danns, Beckford, Whitbread, Gallagher, Wellens

I'd play a creative, attacking midfield player (we'll have to sign one) alongside Drinkwater in the middle, backed up by a physically tough, defensive minded midfielder playing behind them (we'll have to sign one).

With a new attacking CM and a defending CM why would we need Drinkwater? I would sell him, keep Wellens for backup. When the pressure is on, Drinkwater goes missing.

Some really good, constructive points in this thread - in itself, quite surprising ! Can't help raising an eye-brow at how many want a "big, physical, monster, header-winning CB" ..... but want shot of ZW ???!! Right now, if he's even close to fit, he'd start for me as he's the closest we've got to what many of us seem to want.

I agree. No one prepared to put themselves about in our penalty area for the last 3 goals conceded (all very preventable headers). Play Keane at full back. Pearson's playing him at CB as a favour for whiskey nose.

New tall and strong centre back, maybe Danny Shittu etc.

New LB - Ezekiel Fryers on loan perhaps. Need someone who can get forward but be a good defender like De Laet is.

Holding midfielder - Liam Trotter . Someone to break up play and stop the runners from midfield when a cross comes in. Too many conceded like that.

Attacking Midfielder - Nick Powell on loan?

New Winger - Yannick Bolasie or Junior Stanislas . Need someone quick who can get a good ball into the box.

New Striker - someone to challenge Wood and Nugent . maybe Vellios on loan?

Get Rid:

Beckford - too high wages and not good enough.

Danns - see Beckford

Gallagher - probably on high wages, not much point if he only comes on for about 5 minutes.

Vardy (loan)

Futacs - Sell - what a waste of a signing.

If we fail to get promotion and have yet another season in the lovely Championship, what changes would need to be made?

Forget about changing manager, we have had enough threads on that already.

What I want your opinions on is this...

Would you stick with the majority of the squad we have now? Yes

What players aren't good enough anymore, regardless if we stay in the Championship? Gally, waghorn, wellens and Vardy

What types of players would make our side stronger? Creative midfielder and a physically strong ball winning midfielder

What players would you like to see come through the door, if we have enough money? Keane, Sako, Jenas, Suso (loan) and Jack Robinson (looked quality for wolves the other day)

Would you give Danns and Beckford another chance, or would you try and sell or release them? Danns maybe as a squad player (which I doubt he'd accept and just can't see it working with JB

What would you like to see, if we stay in the Championship next season?

Saturday 3pm lol

I know we have had similar threads like this before, but if you don't want to answer to the thread, just visit my reputation page, and enjoy my repped banter instead.

Kingfox

First things first we need to get rid of some of the dead wood which will not contribute next season, as well as some expeirenced pros whose wages could be spent elsewhere.

Out

Konch, Whitbread, wellens, gallagher, danns, dyer, beckford, futacs (loan).

In

Aaron Creswell, Shittu ,Keane, Trotter, Gleeson, Boyd, Tomlin, Simeon Jackson.

Potentially next season we could line up with something like.....

...........................Kasper

St.Ledger.............Shittu....................Morgan

................Trotter..............Drinky

De laet................................................Creswell

...........................Tomlin

..................Wood............Nuge

Logan, Schlupp, Keane, King, Boyd, Knocky, Jackson

My CV is in the post, watch out Mr Pearson ;)

But, i personally think the midfield is the major problem to solve, we currently have no one who can play the physical side (trotter) or anyone who can be direct and create something (tomlin), these 2 always impress me whenever we play their respective sides, especially tomlin, always their most dangerous player whoever they play.

The staff should be given stalls on the market - just one winter out there and they'll yearn to be back with undersoil heating - and perhaps get the football right for once!

Maybe take a few squash lessons to sharpen their reactions? Or do a stint working at a fine local newspaper to get in touch with their adoring public?

The staff should be given stalls on the market - just one winter out there and they'll yearn to be back with undersoil heating - and perhaps get the football right for once!

good idea, could have

Knockaert's knock offs

Big Wes's big bananas

Woods electrical goods

Konchesky's confectionery

The only way is Schlupp music stall

I would bring in a defensive midfielder, someone who can break up the oppositions play, I think we lack that in the side. I'd let Beckford go, but Danns I always thought was a decent player and I think he deserves another chance. I don't think we need to get rid of a lot of players and I don't think we need a lot coming in.

Would you stick with the majority of the squad we have now?

The majority, because I think we have a lot of good players who've proven that they're good enough in the past, I think we're one of those sides that with a couple of additions would be about the best side in the league.

What players aren't good enough anymore, regardless if we stay in the Championship?

Vardy, Futacs, Wellens & Gallagher are for me not good enough for a side chasing promotion. I wonder if the likes of Whitbread will leave too.

What types of players would make our side stronger?

A strong midfielder but one who's decent on the ball as well as off it, someone like Trotter. I'd also like to see more cover in defence and another quality winger.

What players would you like to see come through the door, if we have enough money?

Trotter as I mentioned, couple of loanees, Chris Burke? It'd be interesting if the likes of Bristol City went down, I'd love that Adomah off them, always seems to play well whenever I've seen him, think if Peterborough go down there's a couple of potentially decent players there.

Would you give Danns and Beckford another chance, or would you try and sell or release them?

Get rid. We simply have to move on from players who don't get on with the manager (like it or not), who are on unsustainable high wages and frankly, don't deliver the goods. Players like them pair should be just moved on for good for me.

What would you like to see, if we stay in the Championship next season?

I'd like to see us opt with stability and give Pearson another year. I'm sick of this manager sacking culture and I'm sick of this mentality so many of our fans have despite the fact we've sacked manager after managed for years and where's it got us? The bloke isn't an idiot and although the recent run is frankly as bad as about on par with Sousa, he's done far more good than bad for us and far more good than any manager has here in years. I'd also like to see better pricing because if we stay in this league I can honestly see our attendances hitting the likes of 16k if we maintain the current scheme.

New left back, if only for cover, or to give Konchesky competition. I'd keep the spine but fringey deadwood types like Gallagher, Wellens, Futacs, Waghorn and Vardy can go.

We need a decent centre mid to actually take control of a game, there's no leader in there. Charlie Adam?

Danns & Beckford can join the deadwood sailing out of the door.

If we stay in the championship - just more of a cutting edge to break down these teams that park the bus and much better finishing. A flowing move with 18 passes and 6 Knockaert step-overs is no good if the strikers hit it wide or the cross hits the first man. And personally a 30% reduction in match day tickets/food etc would be great but that's pie in the sky.

This is the kind of sense I don't like seeing in this part of Foxestalk. I want to see more nonsense, ill informed decisions and blatant disregard for common sense!

Would you stick with the majority of the squad we have now? The spine certainly

What players aren't good enough any more, regardless if we stay in the Championship? Logan, Wellens, Futacs, and possibly Gally

What types of players would make our side stronger? Competition for Konch and Schmeichel. A ball winning midfielder. Some competition on the wings

What players would you like to see come through the door, if we have enough money? Keane and Kane back on loan or signed. Matthew Briggs at left back. Ideally Will Hughes, Matej Vydra and Nathan Redmond (is he as good as I think he is?)

Would you give Danns and Beckford another chance, or would you try and sell or release them? Beckford certainly needs ridding from a wage point of view. I'd be ok with Danns getting another shot but wouldn't be too disheartened if he was sold.

Replace konch with matthew briggs or Aaron Creswell

Bring in a defensive midfielder, someone with the physical quality of N'daw / Olifinjana, but one with more technical ability

Someone who can actually put some creativity in our side, Tomlin and Boyd would turn this side into one which is capable of winning games every week.

Try to sign or re-loan michael keane, and probably try to sign shittu

get rid of becks, bring in simeon jackson.

Archived