Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Deucalion

Martin O'Neill to Leeds?

It's called jumping before you are pushed.

Because everybody wants to sack their manager after finishing 6th in the premiership...

Yeh i suppose the villa board would have settled for nothing but first place, they are the biggest club in England at the end of the day...

/sarcasm

So why sack him then ?

Maybe they wanted him to be top 4.

It's a bit like Leicester fans always wanting more than they have. People on here were complaining if we didn't win a game when we were second because they thought we should be challenging and overtaking Cardiff for first.

There's a good line from Lennon's autobiography, during the time when Leeds were interested in him, get to Elland Road and the car park's rammed, O'Neill turns to the driver and says "Park in the manager space". Lennon comments saying he was actually quite worried that he'd only been half-joking after finding out that there was genuine interest from Leeds.

It's called jumping before you are pushed.

MON was a huge success at Villa, just look at them before and after, he left because they lacked ambition, not him, he wasn't happy with finishing 6th each season, and wanted the finances to build and challenge for the CL, but they wouldn't back him, so he left.

MON was a huge success at Villa, just look at them before and after, he left because they lacked ambition, not him, he wasn't happy with finishing 6th each season, and wanted the finances to build and challenge for the CL, but they wouldn't back him, so he left.

lol

Easy to say... There's a £100m-£200m difference between hanging around the UEFA cup places and mounting realistic challenge to the Champion's League. The investment required to make the leap to those places is impossibly huge

So if someone doesn't put the future of their club at risk like Leeds did, they "lack ambition" and the manager is off?

Don't care who he is, what a clown...

You manage the best you can until something better comes along... who knows, if he stayed & could have lucked out and possibly scraped 4th he might be in the frame for the ManUtd job instead of clubs as illustrious as Leicester interested in him... after he spent a load of money at Sunderland (running up losses, yes, even with that TV deal O' Neill spent far more than the club can make) to take them to the brink of relegation.

Hero? Yes, nearly 20 years ago here he was... but his recent history gives potential employers huge cause for concern.

Ha ha...bet that had a few people worried !!

Simple point here.

I have followed O'Neill's career since he left Leicester and I have passively supported any club he has been at. I will always have massive respect for the bloke and I think this respect could survive an unsuccessful second spell at Leicester.

But...I will find it really hard to keep this respect and affection if he signs for Leeds!

Leeds are cash strapped, so he wouldn't want to go there in my opinion.

my mate is avid villa. he said MON is hated cos he spent way above what they had. apparently players like habib beye were on 50k a week. when they were languishing near the bottom half, their wage bill was 15% higher than spurs' who were in the champs league

Guest Foxin_mad

I think he's done a good job everywhere but Sunderland.

Is this something to do with the Sunderland job or has football left him behind recently?

I think the former. Not that much changes in one year.

Football has become crap, no one is allowed time to build a team, everyone expects instant success and most players are a bunch of overpaid arrogant idiots.

And Sunderland ?

lol

Easy to say... There's a £100m-£200m difference between hanging around the UEFA cup places and mounting realistic challenge to the Champion's League. The investment required to make the leap to those places is impossibly huge

So if someone doesn't put the future of their club at risk like Leeds did, they "lack ambition" and the manager is off?

Don't care who he is, what a clown...

You manage the best you can until something better comes along... who knows, if he stayed & could have lucked out and possibly scraped 4th he might be in the frame for the ManUtd job instead of clubs as illustrious as Leicester interested in him... after he spent a load of money at Sunderland (running up losses, yes, even with that TV deal O' Neill spent far more than the club can make) to take them to the brink of relegation.

Hero? Yes, nearly 20 years ago here he was... but his recent history gives potential employers huge cause for concern.

Contradiction? The problem at Villa was they wanted to sell his best players, Milner was the final straw that saw O'Neill go, from what Villa fans say, he didn't want Ireland, didn't want to sell Milner, they were also unwilling to tie some of their star to longer contracts, see the likes of Downing and Young leaving the following season.

Now look at Villa, they have a shocking squad, O'Neil didn't want to stay and see all his hard work undone, he is a man and a manager with principles, always has been, he didn't do a deal behind their backs, he didn't tout himself around, he walked, which I respect. I wouldn't respect a man hanging round waiting for the United job to come up.

At Sunderland it didn't work, don't know why, I doubt he wants to finish on a low, but who knows, maybe he knows that his time is up, and he more than anyone will call time on his career if it is necessary rather than pimp himself out to all and sundry.

ask a villa fan what they think of him. he is absolutely hated by them

Fans make decisions based on emotion, pride and little personal knowledge of the professional game.

They are not often the best people to listen to.

ask a villa fan what they think of him. he is absolutely hated by them

Most of the Villa fans I know still love him, and wish he hadn't left, they would much rather be watching them compete for 6th than 16th.

Most of my family are villa fans, they absolutely hate him, in my uncles words "he ruined us" he claims most of his signings were useless and he inherited a half decent side.

Plus O'niell runs at the first sign of pressure, did it with us, did it at Villa and didn't have a chance at Sunderland because they were poor from day one. I don't think he will manage again.

Most of my family are villa fans, they absolutely hate him, in my uncles words "he ruined us" he claims most of his signings were useless and he inherited a half decent side.

Plus O'niell runs at the first sign of pressure, did it with us, did it at Villa and didn't have a chance at Sunderland because they were poor from day one. I don't think he will manage again.

he had no pressure from the fans at leicester it was the board who got to o'neill would villa rather have the situation they are in know or when o'neill was i charge mid table i know what i would want out of those 2

Ruined them? Took over a club 16th and had them finish 6th three seasons running, with only the usual suspects finishing above them. He spent some money, and yes he bought some crap. But without the constant pumping in of cash you won't break into the top 6 and stay there!

I read their boards a lot, and their fans went exactly the same way fans of many clubs do. They loved him getting them to 6th, they thought he was brilliant. They then started to question whether he was the right man to push them on and break into the big boys... completely forgetting who it was who got them up there in the first place.

He inherited a half decent side, he left a decent side and it has been on the way down since then, his signings weren't useless, and very few of this current awful Villa squad were signed by him, so I don't think it is his fault they are where they are.

I could well believe that he overspent, but that is not his fault, he was given money he spent it, and in the process created the most successful Villa side for a while. I don't buy that he ruined the club, he bought players he could manage and get the best out of, if they were crap under Houllier or McLiesh, that ain't MON's fault.

Archived