Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oadby Fox

Nigel Pearson urges players to take responsibility

It is Pearson and his staff who bought these players.

It is Pearson and his staff who should have checked the characters of these players.

If the players are to blame for not having any backbone then Pearson and his staff are equally, if not more, to blame for having spent money on them.

It is Pearson and his staff who should have checked the characters of these players.

If the players are to blame for not having any backbone then Pearson and his staff are equally, if not more, to blame for having spent money on them.

But how do you know whether they've got backbone until they've been in a situation like this? You can't necessarily know these things when you buy them. A lot of them are young players, which is part of the problem, and yes Pearson did buy them so he has to take some responsibility for the balance of the squad.

But he couldn't have forseen a collapse like this, no one could.

I'm sure everything was hunky dory until those FA cup games came along, but some people have a fine attitude until things get tough.

Like I said, the ultimate responsibility is Perasons, but more blame for the fashion in which the individual players are playing, I'm not having it. He can't physically play their game for them.

I blame Pearson primarily for this.

If he would have signed a couple of older heads who could up pulled the kids up by the short and curlies when necessary, I don't think we'd be in the mess we are in now.

He's had 18 months now to get a balanced squad, both physically and mentally. It's too easy to now pass the buck and to tell them to take responsibility. Pearson is the one who needs to take responsibility IMO.

If he's going for the young lads to develop them and improve them then that's what he and his coaches should be doing. Not effectively blaming them when things aren't going well.

Again, IMO he comes across as a tit here..

The signing of Harry Kane is a prime example. Wrong player signed at the wrong time. He looks like a fish out of water. This squad so needs a midfield general out there.

Good Post!!

Pearson may or may not be tactically inept. That's a seperate argument altogether... what Pearson is getting is that the players need to put the effort in. no amount of motivational speaking can force a person to run for a ball... get in space for a cross .. go in 100% for a 50/50 ball... harass a gk/defender trying to clear a ball... that all has to come from the player.

I can have the best manager in the world with the best training... but it's still upto me to go knock on that patients door and go see them.

If the team as a whole show a lack of effort and commitment (and with precious few exceptions that is us) then there has to be a reason for that, 7 or 8 players don't just go off the boil at the same time.

There's always a reason and this one wears size 16 white trainers.

Team spirit is not evident you can accuse the bad eggs of the Sven regime the likes of Danns and Beckford but they have long gone and are not associated with the team so what is the problem? ever since Wellens and Gallagher where reintroduced our performances have gone down the shitter coincidence?

I'm not saying it isn't time for a change.. it might be....

I just don't buy the theory that Nigel should take all the blame.

I think the players are adults and should take responsibility for their Actions, and are paid handsomely to do so whether happy or not.

I blame Pearson primarily for this.

If he would have signed a couple of older heads who could up pulled the kids up by the short and curlies when necessary, I don't think we'd be in the mess we are in now.

He's had 18 months now to get a balanced squad, both physically and mentally. It's too easy to now pass the buck and to tell them to take responsibility. Pearson is the one who needs to take responsibility IMO.

If he's going for the young lads to develop them and improve them then that's what he and his coaches should be doing. Not effectively blaming them when things aren't going well.

Again, IMO he comes across as a tit here..

The signing of Harry Kane is a prime example. Wrong player signed at the wrong time. He looks like a fish out of water. This squad so needs a midfield general out there.

Cracking post Col.

People exaggerate the managers need to motivate. Why the fvck do these w*nkers need motivating? They've been in with a chance of promotion to the fvcking Premiership all season, they're being paid god knows how much. Even at the start of this terrible run they looked half-hearted and demotivated.

There's no excuse for that. Whilst I accept the manager always has to take responsibiliy for results, if we're being completely fair here, the players are actually more to blame. It's they who cross the white line, it's they who have not been putting the 'performances' and 'effort' in, and Pearson is completely right to ask them to man up. If they're not adult enough for that, there's no hope for them.

Of course Pearson has made plenty of mistakes, tactically, in the construction and balance of the squad, and these things contribute to the end result which is the shit we are seeing now. But in terms of motivation, he can't do an awful lot. Half-time team talks maybe, but lets face it, players have just been taking to the pitch from minute one with no desire or professionalism.

Maybe if they went without wages until they next won it might motivate them, but of course that's not possible.

Motivation isn't the only part of sports psychology.

It's quite obvious that confidence is completely shot in the squad, it's not all about whipping them or dangling carrots. They clearly want promotion the question is whether or not they believe they can turn their form around.

This is where it gets interesting. I want the players to do well and the team as a whole but think the manager is out of his depth, so am I a worse or lesser City fan than the person who thinks the players are crap but the manager is good? Discuss.....(I think I am more of a fan for wanting a decent manager to lead the players to Prem league than someone who wants to keep NP and settle for crap football, blaming the players)

As we seem to be drawing this parralell....

When results arent gained at work, i speak to the manager of the dept that is failing, he/she runs that dept, he/she knows why its failing, either....

he/she should have come to me and said.."person x isnt up to it.. lets get another"

or

the Dept manager isnt up to it and needs to be replaced as he/she doesnt understand why the dept is failing.

if that dept fails to make budget for several weeks.. and i do nothing..then im at fault.

TOP OUT! :)

As we seem to be drawing this parralell....

When results arent gained at work, i speak to the manager of the dept that is failing, he/she runs that dept, he/she knows why its failing, either....

he/she should have come to me and said.."person x isnt up to it.. lets get another"

or

the Dept manager isnt up to it and needs to be replaced as he/she doesnt understand why the dept is failing.

if that dept fails to make budget for several weeks.. and i do nothing..then im at fault.

TOP OUT! :)

Facaetious but strangely true. If not Top out, because he is the owners son and after all this is his plaything, then at least, Top get some help so you don't break the toy I bought you beyond repair

If it it wasn't his squad then yes you could blame the players but it's not, he signed the majority therefore it's his responsibility.

Anyone who blames the players needs to grow up!

Did any of you lot even read the interview? Pearson has never shied away from taking responsibility for our results - he's just saying that the players need to take some responsibility for their role in our recent run of poor form too, something which I agree with 100%. If the players are just thinking 'well, it's not my fault we're losing, it's the manager's' then they want shooting. Regardless of whether they like him or not, they are responsible for their own individual performances and they owe it to us as fans to do whatever they can to try and improve them the next time they step onto that pitch.

There have been too many poor performances and confidence has to be low. When confidence is low a setback can seem huge, and we don't appear to be able to recover from setbacks at present.

For my sins I am a manager - in an Engineering company not a football club, but there are some similarities - I inherited a team and brought in a couple of new faces to strengthen that team. If someone in my team does something wrong they know as professional people that they are responsible. If I have to express my dissatisfaction with them I do it in private, partly because it helps the person I am dealing with but also so that the discussions don't become public, and most importantly so that it doesn't affect the remainder of the team. Conversely, if someone has done particularly well I will praise them in public at team meetings. I think that I generally have a positive team that wants to achieve. If I criticised anyone from my team in public I would expect their respect for me as a manager to be reduced.

I also know that if one of my team does something wrong that higher management will expect me to deal with it effectively - they will not blame me for the incident but will blame be if I don't take the appropriate action to prevent recurrence. So I do not expect the owners to have infinite patience, they will expect NP to do whatever is necessary to sort this out, and sooner rather than later.

Do I blame Pearson for the bad results of late? YES

Do I blame the players for the bad results of late? YES

We win as a team and lose as a team but there is only so much any manager can do. He can shout, motivate and do all the match preparation in the world but as soon as the players cross that white line, its down to them.

Managers will always get the blame. It's a lot easier to blame one man but lets face it we have had 10 clowns (not counting Kasper) on the pitch throughout the last few weeks who do need to hold their hands up...and so they should!

Anyway I give up. I keep losing track of what I'm going on about. I'm so p*ssed off by the lot of them. Doesn't help I have a pile of work to catch up on and I can't be arse with that. I blame the players for my recent slump in form at work too :angry:

Archived