Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

Last 'good' player bought

So Ben Thatcher then is the only good player we have had in the last 10 years? Apart from McCaully

That's precisely my point. When you look at our recruitment policy who has gone on to better themselves, Ben ****ing Thatcher and Gareth McAuley! In a decade thats it, something is seriously wrong with the whole set up if that is it. 

Many moan about their club being a 'selling club' but we cant even boast that, we're a giving away club.

Seeing as we're a Championship side, I wouldn't expect us to buy players of top 10 Premiership quality.

Read the topic again. It is bought players who go on to play for a top 10 side. As in we buy players, improve them/they attract interest from 'better sides' and they move on. What currently happens is we buy players, they leave.

For over a decade we've consistently signed players who've gone on to have mediocre careers. We never nervously sit out a transfer deadline day in fear of losing one of our better players because we never have any.

It's a big ask to be honest.The best chance of having a player who attracts Premier recognition,is a youth player coming through the academy who top teams think they can improve dramatically. If you're buying players then either they are too old to improve greatly, not good enough to play a higher level or a real stab in the dark.

IMO the only way you will meet your criteria is if you take a risk and it pays off ten fold, which is basically McAuley.

• 2 weeks later...

Swansea finished 9th.

If we expand it out to 'played' in the Premiership it's not much better. I think you get to add Stearman, Dickov, Williams and Ferdinand to this list (possibly Bent).

You are correct I didn't think McAuley was good enough for the Premiership BUT clearly WBA did and he has been good enough. I still thinks it's pretty shocking that in 10 years so few players have actually gone on to 'better' things.

I don't think you should be starting rumours like that about Sir Les !

Load of bollox. None of MON's signings were "good" - they became great with good coaching and through their character and ability. I can think of half a dozen players who will do the same - but frankly, I can't be arsed.

Archived