Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

Last 'good' player bought

Gareth McAuley aside, how far back do we have to go to find a player who you could describe as being 'good' (i.e. would be a starter in a current top 10 Prem side)?

Since M'ON I can't think of any player who could be described as 'good', in fact we've signed more utter shit than anything else. Am I forgetting anyone?

Just because our players aren't in a top 10 premiership side doesn't mean you should discount them as not being 'good'.

Not sure if we've all got different definitions of good. Morgan is good, and I think he is more solid than McAuley was.

I never thought McAuley would survive in a PL team if I'm honest.

How many other Championship sides (we even spent a season in League One ffs) have signed players who you're saying should be basically good enough to mount a European challenge?! Are you on drugs? 

I'm not expecting us to have signed lots of 'good' players, but in a decade for only McAuley to have been bought and then played at a decent higher level is quite poor.

Imagine for a second you were to say that over the next decade or so only one player bought by the club would go on to play top flight football for a top half side, you'd think it a ludicrous thing to say, yet here we are over a decade away from M'ON and a free transfer from Lincoln is our one success. What, if any, scouting system have we had in that time?

Top ten prem clubs well as 4 of them have paid as much for one player as our owners paid for our club no wonder none of our players are in the top 10.

And villa's record fee would have bought it when MM stepped up.

I'm not expecting us to have signed lots of 'good' players but in a decade for only McAuley to have been bought and then played at a decent higher level is quite poor.

Imagine for a second you were to say that over the next decade or so only one player bought by the club would go on to play top flight football for a top half side, you'd think it a ludicrous thing to say, yet here we are over a decade away from M'ON and a free transfer from Lincoln is our one success. What, if any, scouting system have we had in that time?

We've had better players than McAuley though, he wasn't exactly a world beater for us either so did you consider him 'good' when he played for us? Stearman played in the Premiership too and he was fvcking crap. There are some players who play in the top 10 of the Premiership who really shouldn't do. That doesn't prove they are 'good'.

I don't think many teams at this level will have bought players who are obviously top 10 in the Premiership quality. Even Swansea don't finish in the top 10 and I'm pretty sure you consider some of their players 'good', some of which they had at this level at one time. But not many teams have had those kind of players.

TBH, the team we have now probably has more players capable of being your definition of 'good' than any in the last 10 years.

If the point you are trying to make is that we have been crap, well duh, and if it's that our scouting system hasn't been good enough to get us promoted, then duh.

We've had better players than McAuley though, he wasn't exactly a world beater for us either so did you consider him 'good' when he played for us? Stearman played in the Premiership too and he was fvcking crap. There are some players who play in the top 10 of the Premiership who really shouldn't do. That doesn't prove they are 'good'.

I don't think many teams at this level will have bought players who are obviously top 10 in the Premiership quality. Even Swansea don't finish in the top 10 and I'm pretty sure you consider some of their players 'good', some of which they had at this level at one time. But not many teams have had those kind of players.

TBH, the team we have now probably has more players capable of being your definition of 'good' than any in the last 10 years.

If the point you are trying to make is that we have been crap, well duh, and if it's that our scouting system hasn't been good enough to get us promoted, then duh.

Swansea finished 9th.

If we expand it out to 'played' in the Premiership it's not much better. I think you get to add Stearman, Dickov, Williams and Ferdinand to this list (possibly Bent).

You are correct I didn't think McAuley was good enough for the Premiership BUT clearly WBA did and he has been good enough. I still thinks it's pretty shocking that in 10 years so few players have actually gone on to 'better' things.

BOUGHT as in owned. Bamba hasn't gone on to that level and Fernandes (who we loaned) is now at Sion in Switzerland.

Awh, now I remember ;) but I reckon he can make the top 4. He's one of the most consistent players for his country and is already playing at European level (not EPL standards but still). He just needs a CH who's similar to him in terms of style, skill and physique.

Depends what you class as good McCaully is the only one to play top 10 premiership but Gradel has played in the French tip flight, Joey Gudjhonnson played in the UEFA Cup, Sol Bamba is in the Turkish top flight, David Connolly played in a top 10 Sunderland team after leaving us, Ben Thatcher played for Man City and Charlton in the premier league, Paddy McCarthy has just been promoted to the premier league with palace as has Fryatt and Hobbs...

So it depends on your definition of good

Depends what you class as good McCaully is the only one to play top 10 premiership but Gradel has played in the French tip flight, Joey Gudjhonnson played in the UEFA Cup, Sol Bamba is in the Turkish top flight, David Connolly played in a top 10 Sunderland team after leaving us, Ben Thatcher played for Man City and Charlton in the premier league, Paddy McCarthy has just been promoted to the premier league with palace as has Fryatt and Hobbs...

So it depends on your definition of good

My definition of 'good' was playing for a top half prem side. I think that's a fair definition. 

Archived