Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GorlestonFox

Youngster Joe Jones to Yeovil

From the Daily Star

http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Ex-Leicester-City-youngster-Yeovil-Town-s-second/story-19397175-detail/story.html

Yeovil Town have completed their first second signing of the summer, agreeing deals for a former Wycombe Wanderers attacker and Leicester City defender.

Winger Joel Grant and Northern Irish younger Joe Jones have agreed contracts with the Glovers, meeting their new team mates at pre-season training today.

​

Centre half Joe Jones has agreed a short-term deal after failing to make the grade with Leicester despite attracting the attentions of Arsenal and Liverpool before signing for the Foxes in 2010. He hooked up with Brentford in March for an unsuccessful trial.

Grant was out of contract with the Chairboys and appeared poised to sign for the Glovers’ divisional rivals Ipswich Town.

Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered...

View details Print voucher

However the 25-year-old has today sealed a switch to Huish Park following 68 appearances and 14 goals in two successful seasons at Wycombe.

Grant started his career with Watford but after finding first team opportunities limited a loan move to Aldershot became permanent. He was with Crewe Alexandra before joining Wycombe. The pair will officially sign contracts on Monday, July 1.

Manager Gary Johnson said: “We’re a long way down the road with Sam. We watched him for a little while and we think that he’s got Championship potential that we can bring out.

“He fits our e-fit of a Yeovil footballer. He’s very ambitious and he’s better than what he’s allowed to be. I have got to get the best out of him.

“Joel Grant played very well against us in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy and that’s when he first came to our attentions. We have all watched him a lot.â€

See tomorrow’s Western Gazette for more of the exclusive interview with Gary Johnson on his latest signings

Cheers for your daft post that made zero sense.

The way I understand it, he's saying that we took on a player who - at the time - was talented enough to be attracting interest from the top clubs, then by the time he leaves us he's 'dropped' in ability and is only good enough for a small team like Yeovil.

Seems like it's a sneaky criticism of LCFC's youth development...

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. He's not good enough to make the grade here (for whatever reason), so we've released him and moved on.

Think this is George Taft year, Seen him in town today and wow hes big! Could make a great partnership with Wes

I saw him on Sunday night in 'Coast To Coast' near the Highcross with his girlfriend and he definitely is a 'big lad'.

Make or break year for Taft I feel. What is he 20/21 and not had any football league experience.

I've heard good things about him but if he is as good as people have been saying why has know league 1 or 2 sides attempted to take him on loan?

Some players develop better in the youngsters then straight into the first team squad rather than going to a lower league

Some players develop better in the youngsters then straight into the first team squad rather than going to a lower league

I agree some do. But at the age of 20/21 you'd think that they'd want to loan him out to get some football league experience and then gradually start including him into the first team squad.

Pearson must see something in him though as he extended his contract.

Letting go another young defender. Says it all that 2 of the biggest clubs in the country were looking at him. Doesnt quite make sense.

Looked at him, but decided he wasn't good enough, top clubs would look at 100's of players each year. Doesn't mean they are all the next big thing, jones wasn't even the best youth defender we had so first team was never an option. God luck to the lad, I hope he goes on to be a solid championship defender

Archived