Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesBoyChris

Young Players Time To Shine?

Just wondered if Pearson has realised that with FFP stopping new signing until our wages are decreased, we should utilise our crop of youth players. He did it with King and now he is a great 1st team player.

Personally I think Taft could play as LB, Moore could get more time at CB, Michael Cain could be our CM cover (making 4 CM's - King, James, Drinkwater and Cain), Dodoo could be given a chance at ST and finally Schlupp could play as a LW/ ST.

The situation with Moore this season was different though, he did have faith in Ledger and also had Keane on loan.

Now that finances are being stretched even more, I wouldn't be surprised if Pearson shows faith in the academy prospects because they would add no further cost.

What's the obsession with Blyth? He's 20 already and has no league experience. Hopper, Panayiotou and Dodoo all arguably ahead of him in the pecking order.

EDIT: And 21 in August

Dodoo has potential  but needs more time.Panayiotou has not progressed as much as I thought he would and now needs to out on loan . I think Taft will make a superb defender. He has bulked up,has pace and should be in the first team set up.Hopper should also be with the first team squad but is def behind Taft although NP didnot take Taft to Austria. The player in the under 21 with the most potential is Cain in midfield, Has pace,gets up and down and a good passing game.At leamington played at right back which is def NOT his position but on Sat was the best player on the pitch

Well I think Cain and Taft should certainly be given their chance in the 1st team. People moaning about Konch should want Taft to take the reigns sooner rather than later, otherwise he will never progress... look at Sam Byram for Leeds. Young full-back who got a chance.

The coaching staff see them every day.

If they felt any of them could bring something extra to the squad I am sure they'd get picked.

Some of our kids get talked up like they are the next big thing to break onto the World Football scene, often based on hearsay, rumour and someone seeing them have 10 minutes for the youth team.

This is not a piss take question but if we rarely if ever play any of these players, why do we bother with a youth team? Surely the money spent on coaching them and even their meagre salaries could be better spent on the first team?

We don't play them because they're probably not considered good enough for Championship football. They will be good enough eventually and that's when they'll get a chance, then you'll see why we have a youth team and you'll probably be thankful for it then.

Please don't assume, just because you can't see something having a positive impact right now, that we're wasting our time with it - that's an incredibly short-termist view to hold.

The coaching staff see them every day.

If they felt any of them could bring something extra to the squad I am sure they'd get picked.

Some of our kids get talked up like they are the next big thing to break onto the World Football scene, often based on hearsay, rumour and someone seeing them have 10 minutes for the youth team.

Well, I'd rather we give a chance to players like Cain for example rather than Jesse Lingard...

Dodoo has potential  but needs more time.Panayiotou has not progressed as much as I thought he would and now needs to out on loan . I think Taft will make a superb defender. He has bulked up,has pace and should be in the first team set up.Hopper should also be with the first team squad but is def behind Taft although NP didnot take Taft to Austria. The player in the under 21 with the most potential is Cain in midfield, Has pace,gets up and down and a good passing game.At leamington played at right back which is def NOT his position but on Sat was the best player on the pitch

I said a couple of years back that two coaches at the academy said that they have never been so sure about any player making it pro since Heskey regarding Dodoo. Only just turned 17 I believe and he's been a regular in the Under-18's/21's for the last two seasons. He has extreme potential! From what I have seen from Taft, he's actually not the quickest? Seems very strong and has a sweet left foot but distribution could still be improved. An absolute unit.

Didn't someone on here say that Wellens has been badgering Pearson for most of last season about giving Cain a chance? Not sure if it's a compliment having Wellens champion your cause but I wonder if he'll be given the nod this season.

Not sure if Taft has what it takes to succeed here, but from what I've seen and heard about cain and Dodoo, they seem to be the ones to watch out for. Would be keen to see Hopper this season as well, he looks a real good player. Panayiotou won't make it IMO.

I do believe our Academy is used well, however as for "they aren't good enough to play championship yet" that is nonsense.

Playing for the u21's (which we are quite

Successful) they can only progress so far. They should be given a chance and if they fail or do not perform then back into the u21's they go.

We can't train with someone for 5/6 years until they're 23/24 and then just decide now they get their chance. At 17/18/19 they can learn a huge amount and then continue to progress for multiple years there after.

I personally believe that if you are not making appearances for your first team by the time you are 20/21 then you should look to move on. (Although there are the occasional player who primes late and becomes a beast)

We don't play them because they're probably not considered good enough for Championship football. They will be good enough eventually and that's when they'll get a chance, then you'll see why we have a youth team and you'll probably be thankful for it then.

Please don't assume, just because you can't see something having a positive impact right now, that we're wasting our time with it - that's an incredibly short-termist view to hold.

Gee, its just like Christmas aint it Pa? Little ol me thinking these guys would be in the first team and all the time I just have to wait fir them to become great.....

Lineker and Heskey (and the slightly more mediocre King) aside, name a player in the last 30 years from our academy system who has been good enough for anyones first team on a consistent basis ( there actually might be some but lookimg through the players list I got bored) although the two successes we had might justify the whole thing, I have my doubts.

Gee, its just like Christmas aint it Pa? Little ol me thinking these guys would be in the first team and all the time I just have to wait fir them to become great.....

Lineker and Heskey (and the slightly more mediocre King) aside, name a player in the last 30 years from our academy system who has been good enough for anyones first team on a consistent basis ( there actually might be some but lookimg through the players list I got bored) although the two successes we had might justify the whole thing, I have my doubts.

I'd imagine we've profited from it for one, selling players on has probably helped us more than we realise. The academy would be totally worthless if we insisted on throwing players in when they're not ready, damaging the team purely because someone wants to satisfy their desire of seeing the academy contributing. You certainly wouldn't like it then.

Archived