Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC FOX

What makes a player "one of our own?"

Was just wondering really as we have just signed up Luke Hendrie, will he be classed as one of our own if he does break through to the first team in 2/3 seasons time as he has been with the development squad before the first team? Same with King, Taft ect or do they have to have only of played for LCFC

If they come up through the youth I'd say they're one of our own, regardless of where they're from. Kingy's from Maidenhead and I'm sure he was on Chelsea's books as a little'un but I'd class him as one of our own, same with Schlupp from MK.

I herd "Jeffrey Schlupp he's one of our own" but he's not from Leicester but he's only ever been a Leicester player

Where as Taft who has always lived in Leicester all his life but started his career at Derby before getting released and then to Leicester.

Then there's King who didn't grow up in Leicester and played for another club before us. (Chelsea) before getting released and then to Leicester.

So was just curious, would you class all three of these as one of our own?

I assume it's if they're born and bred in Leicester.

Coming through the academy and being born and bred in Leicestershire would make them truly one of our own. The other academy lads are just adopted sons of Leicester if they're good enough.

Whether we accept experienced players we signed from other clubs that have never been at the club before but were born and bred in Leicestershire is a matter for debate. Again I would say only if they're good enough

I don't think it matters where they were born or who else they have played for, I think it is something to do with their attitude and the fact they take loyalty beyond their paycheques.

What about Steve Walsh?  He is from Preston, played for Wigan, but Leicester through and through.  Knockaert singing Leicester songs when few other players would do this means, if he stays long enough, he's be one of our own too.*

* Unless he signs for Fulham this summer and starts singing Fulham songs.

Players like Lineker and Heskey are 'one of our own', in my opinion. Born in Leicestershire, a product of our academy and played for the club. (Also, with these two examples, represented their International sides as well).

Always makes me laugh when people sing "one of our own" about Jeff Schlupp, the Hamburg born Ghana international, raised in Milton Keynes. 

In your head maybe, but never heard anyone sing that about Schlupp.

It's quite simple really if they were signed on a YTS and brought through the youth system, like Schlupp was, they would be one of our own. Probably even more so than everyones faviourate "Academy Product" The Barnstaple born, Welsh international,  Andy King who joined at 15 after leaving Chelsea

I herd "Jeffrey Schlupp he's one of our own" but he's not from Leicester but he's only ever been a Leicester player

Where as Taft who has always lived in Leicester all his life but started his career at Derby before getting released and then to Leicester.

Then there's King who didn't grow up in Leicester and played for another club before us. (Chelsea) before getting released and then to Leicester.

So was just curious, would you class all three of these as one of our own?

No, not really. One of our own is someone who has grown up in Leicester, preferably supporting the team but I'd still consider Heskey one of our own even though he supported Liverpool.

I do like it when we have a player who has come through the academy but I don't consider King one of our own, even though I can see why he's a fans favourite.

Archived