Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
catfordfox

Leicester using workfare

Granted this topic is either black or white to most but i still think doing something is better than getting it for **** all.

As for giving them employment from infrastructure projects. Great if they have a qualification that allows that. But can you imagine the cost to the tax payer if a bridge or something the build comes down. Law suit.

Yeah, it's a tough one and I totally agree the unemployed should be encouraged and sometimes cajoled into getting paid work if it's available.

I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that we shouldn't be allowing private companies free labour out of the taxpayers pocket if it's not going to benefit the nation in some way. Would much rather have them off the public payroll one way or the other or have them doing government jobs for public money so there's some overall result there.

The whole 'JSA isn't enough to live on' rhetoric really irritates me because when you take into account all of the other benefits and tax breaks the unemployed get, and the discounts/concessions on things like prescriptions etc they are actually getting similar amounts to people on low wages. And the small increase in income you get from working isn't worth it really if, like most people, you don't like your job. The only reason I work is because I'd be embarrassed and ashamed to be not working for any extended period of time.

I can imagine the owners would particularly know that this is going on. There is a lot of staff below them that would be making these types of decisions.

You are aware, where our owners are from right.

I'd imagine they built their fortune off the back of cheap labour.

Why do we always forget that Leicester City is a business and that the owners are business people.

Their staff have been told to run the company to make profits like any other business.

Unless they do something illegal, they can use whatever labour is available and pay (or not) whatever the market rate is.

You can't pressure companies into employing people they don't need, you'd end up putting some companies out of business, creating more unemployment.

how does that fit in with the 'there are tons of jobs out there, people are just too lazy to get them' arguement? There are either companies desperate for workers or there aren't.

the other arguement that annoys me is the 'i have to work all hours for sh1t pay at my job, why shouldn't everyone else'? I don't think people should have to do that either - the whole point about workfare is that it makes it easier for companies to cut wages and hours all round. It's bad for everyone. The argument should be flipped - 'I want to make my job better and yours too', not 'let's make everyone's life a misery'

Interesting that not one word has been said in this discussion about the actual cause of increased unemployment in this country - criminal banks and the politicians who have bailed them out. All this 'scroungers' crap is just a way of distracting everyone from that fact - and the scary thing is it seems to be working!

Why do we always forget that Leicester City is a business and that the owners are business people.

Their staff have been told to run the company to make profits like any other business.

Unless they do something illegal, they can use whatever labour is available and pay (or not) whatever the market rate is.

I think that football clubs are (or should be) more than just businesses - there are important community institutions, not just a rich man's toy to use to try to make a quick buck (tbf, not entirely sure our owners have much chance of doing that anyway). If Leicester were a normal business i'd boycott their shops and buy somewhere else. I can't do that with a football team! So would rather put pressure on them in other ways.

I'm all in favour of making people earn their benefits, but it should be done in better ways. I would like to see these people "working" for councils, cleaning streets , cleaning parks or painting over graffiti type things. At the same time hopefully making people want to get jobs.

That's just my opinion.

Councils are too busy cutting jobs due to cuts in government funding they are in no better a position to offer 'proper' jobs.

I'm just trying to think of ways so people don't complain about company's using these people as cheap labour. It's all tax money that runs the councils and cleaning the streets could be a start to get people into other jobs, not council jobs but ones they apply for.

I'm lucky enough to be in work but I know people that aren't (by choice), I also know that if they had to go and clean streets everyday they would soon be applying for any other job.

Great to see so many honest first hand accounts of people who simply can't be bothered to get a job. We all know great swathes of these people exist but sadly the sensitive left wing prevent us from calling a spade a spade without being labled one "ist" or another. If this thread had been in general chat it would be very different. Out here in the football forum we're getting much more raw honesty.

Personally I think these schemes are a waste of time. The scroungers will find a way out of it and private businesses will easily outsmart the dreary public sector admin staff and it will end up being exploited to the detriment of people who do actually want to work.

Simple solution is and always has been to cut benefits completely. Those who can work will suddenly find work, those who can't will be phoning for an ambulance as they struggle to live. It's brutal but it's the only way to clean up this pathetic mess of a welfare state that labour left behind.

I think that football clubs are (or should be) more than just businesses - there are important community institutions, not just a rich man's toy to use to try to make a quick buck (tbf, not entirely sure our owners have much chance of doing that anyway). If Leicester were a normal business i'd boycott their shops and buy somewhere else. I can't do that with a football team! So would rather put pressure on them in other ways.

Sorry to disappoint you, they are just a normal business.

The role of everyone in the business is to maximise profits for the owners.

The only responsibilty they have to the 'fans' is to ensure they are repeat customers.

Great to see so many honest first hand accounts of people who simply can't be bothered to get a job. We all know great swathes of these people exist but sadly the sensitive left wing prevent us from calling a spade a spade without being labled one "ist" or another. If this thread had been in general chat it would be very different. Out here in the football forum we're getting much more raw honesty.

Personally I think these schemes are a waste of time. The scroungers will find a way out of it and private businesses will easily outsmart the dreary public sector admin staff and it will end up being exploited to the detriment of people who do actually want to work.

Simple solution is and always has been to cut benefits completely. Those who can work will suddenly find work, those who can't will be phoning for an ambulance as they struggle to live. It's brutal but it's the only way to clean up this pathetic mess of a welfare state that labour left behind.

Currently living in and working across Africa I can tell you this is largely true. Obviously most countries do not have welfare systems. Where they are available they are difficult to access. People either die or find ways to survive (prostitution, theft, begging, remittances etc. which hopefully our welfare state prevents people from having to rely on...).

I've been responsible for developing personal insurance schemes around the world to prevent people from dying.

They are essentially savings. Plus access to loans through a group of trusted individuals. The internal lending grows their assets and the poor are building their wealth and taking sustainable steps out of poverty.

We've forgotten personal reaponsibility.

Save and insure what you can. If you cant afford it, dont buy it on credit. The lender won't give a sh*t that you lost your job. They will take everything.

A great deal of truth in this post. We are living in an era "Give me something for nothing". Bloody disgraceful. If you want something, then get off your lazy arse and DO SOMETHING, to earn it, unless you are physically unable to do so. This country is a scroungers paradise.

A great deal of truth in this post. We are living in an era "Give me something for nothing". Bloody disgraceful. If you want something, then get off your lazy arse and DO SOMETHING, to earn it, unless you are physically unable to do so. This country is a scroungers paradise.

Fantastic, wow, you take my breath away with your analysis of 'what's wrong with this country'.

I wonder why we have the right wing 'Daily Mail' mind set in this country and its for all to see on this forum.

Of course it's the huge 'swathes of scroungers' (as some one called them). It's all their fault the lazy b*******. It could never be the greedy corporate world or those much maligned bankers.

Folks, try reading beyond The Sun 'comments' page or the Daily Mails front page. Stop blaming your own bigotry on 'lefties' who read the Guardian.

Stick to talking about football please folks.

Fantastic, wow, you take my breath away with your analysis of 'what's wrong with this country'.

I wonder why we have the right wing 'Daily Mail' mind set in this country and its for all to see on this forum.

Of course it's the huge 'swathes of scroungers' (as some one called them). It's all their fault the lazy b*******. It could never be the greedy corporate world or those much maligned bankers.

Folks, try reading beyond The Sun 'comments' page or the Daily Mails front page. Stop blaming your own bigotry on 'lefties' who read the Guardian.

I'm not dishing out any fault. I'd just rather the £30billion-odd we spend on JSA and housing benefit be distributed evenly among those who earn it by reducing income tax.

I'm not dishing out any fault. I'd just rather the £30billion-odd we spend on JSA and housing benefit be distributed evenly among those who earn it by reducing income tax.

Yep, and I'd rather the big companies who trade here making a great deal of money while employing almost all their staff overseas actually be made to pay the tax they are supposed to too. Then we could reduce income tax for the medium-earners even more. We might even have some left over for financial aid for poor kids who want to study 'hard' sciences.

I reckon there's about a similar chance of both yours and my wishes happening. Shit world, isn't it?  :P

Did I hit a nerve? Which are you; the lefty crank, or the lazy scrounger?

If your interested, I actually read a load of rubbish call "The Independent"

Archived