Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
catfordfox

Leicester using workfare

not true - at the moment there's around 5/6 unemployed people for every job vacancy

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2012/feb/06/jobs-shortage-maria-miller

I don't care what the paper says on this matter, and i'm not even going to open that link.

If you can walk, talk and are WILLING to work, then if you was to register with every recruitment agency in Leicester you will be given a chance of employment.

People get into the "There's too many people looking for work and not enough jobs" attitude, and it gets them nowhere

I don't care what the paper says on this matter, and i'm not even going to open that link.

If you can walk, talk and are WILLING to work, then if you was to register with every recruitment agency in Leicester you will be given a chance of employment.

People get into the "There's too many people looking for work and not enough jobs" attitude, and it gets them nowhere

Yeah, but The Guardian* says so

*defender of those who vote for a living, not those who work for a living

if there are 6 people going for one job, then there will be five left over.

in 2006, unemployment was 9.6%ish in Leicester. Now its 14.4%. I just don't think 5% of the city just suddenly woke up one day and decided they couldnt be bothered to work anymore.

Imagine if your boss said to you that your hours were going to be cut, or you'd be going on zero hour contract, because they could get people on workfare working for nothing. It's not a good policy for anyone tbh, apart from the businesses who are getting free labour.

Yeah, but The Guardian* says so

*defender of those who vote for a living, not those who work for a living

haha, fine - pretty sure i could find the same stats in the bbc or daily mail or whereever

in 2006, unemployment was 9.6%ish in Leicester. Now its 14.4%. I just don't think 5% of the city just suddenly woke up one day and decided they couldnt be bothered to work anymore.

Imagine if your boss said to you that your hours were going to be cut, or you'd be going on zero hour contract, because they could get people on workfare working for nothing. It's not a good policy for anyone tbh, apart from the businesses who are getting free labour.

haha, fine - pretty sure i could find the same stats in the bbc or daily mail or whereever

But they do not take into account Agency work on a temporary contract which could well lead to a permanent job.

If your saying there is no jobs, then working for free not only looks good on your CV but also MOTIVATES you to WANT to work , and will make getting that job which PAYS feel all so sweeter.

Workfare is supposed to be about getting people back into work, the idea of the scheme is that companies like Leicester take people on for a short time for free and then give them jobs after they have proven their competence. If Leicester are taking people on for free for the maximum time possible then binning them and getting a new batch of free labour in, then I don't support it at all and it is exploitation. If they have brought in one batch on workfare looking to employ them then I have no problem with it.

Go on then, it would definately add weight to your arguement.

What is your suggested alternative to this scheme? I think we should be offering free education if you take part, it would be a very positive thing then.

Why should people who are able to work be given hand outs to sit on their arde watching Jeremy Kyle? Everyone has to go to work to earn money, can anyone give me 1 good reason why people shouldn't work for the dole?

There are many benefits to this sort of scheme some have been pointed out above but one of the big things is breaking the cycle of family unemployment as well as the depression that comes with being out of work.

A grey scheme I am pleased to here the club are involved.

What is your suggested alternative to this scheme? I think we should be offering free education if you take part, it would be a very positive thing then.

Agree with that, I work daily with job seekers and the barriers for a lot of them are lacking specific licences/training to allow them to work in a certain area. Particularly those interested in the construction industry. 

Complete a period of work-based experience and receive funding for additional training, not talking full educations here but stuff like CSCS card, FLT licences, Food hygiene certificates, SIA badges etc could all improve someones chances of finding work.

However there would need to be some way of seperating those that want the training to find work and those that will do it to keep job centres off their back and have no intention of using the training gained, which is has happended in the past.

here you go, official stats from the ONS: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/labour-market-statistics/may-2013/sty-employment.html

500,000 job vacancies, 2.5m unemployed and looking for work - 1 job for every 5 people.

and that's not even taking into account geography - more jobs in southeast than in midlands etc

my suggested alternative is paying people a proper wage for working - not exactly radical, just how it's traditionally gone!

Opinion will always be divided on this sort of scheme as it depends on your standpoint of moral rights.  

I was made redundant on the 31/12/09. I'd known about it for 12 months as I didn't want to relocate when my home office moved to a different country. Anyhow, long story short, I decided I'd take a month out of work then look for work after my hiatus. My personnel pride basically meant I refused to go and claim job seekers allowance. I could have easily dropped into the non working mindset, as having so much free time to a degree was great. 

When February came and I registered with every job agency under the sun, started applying for jobs etc I was offered job interviews left, right and center. 

I agree that schemes like Workfare maintain a working attitude, teamwork etc but it won't work for everyone. You could also argue the fact that the unemployed need to be educated better on how to apply, present themselves etc.

If you are willing to be flexible, adapt, take a pay cut, travel that bit further afield, you'll always find work. It may not exactly be what you want but a wage is wage and something is better than nothing.

SO

Indeed

People who can work should work, the only exploitation is from the people that exploit a system that allows people to live off the taxes of hard working people, this is lefty logic for you.

There are jobs out there, just not jobs that they want to do and any that pay better than benefits on offer.

Shouldn't this be general discussion ?

Sorry if its the wrong forum, thought it did concern the club directly.

The club is the one 'living off the taxes of hardworking people' here - theyre getting work done for nothing, while the state continues to pay JSA!

There are really not that many jobs out there - this is worth a read i think: http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/hope-and-despair-at-the-watford-jobfair

Think your missing the connection between earning money and being given it for nothing think that's what the government is trying to address - people who can work choose not too - as a tax payer I don't want my taxes to support these people.

I lost my job in January I know there are jobs out there, it took me a month but I got a job I wanted I could have walked into a minimum wage job quicker as there were plenty opportunities. It is tough out there but there are people out there that look for the required minimum 3 jobs by the job centre so they can claim JSA, with no intention of getting the jobs. That's what needs to be addressed.

Maybe suggesting viable alternatives rather than critiquing something without addressing the issue

here you go, official stats from the ONS: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/labour-market-statistics/may-2013/sty-employment.html

500,000 job vacancies, 2.5m unemployed and looking for work - 1 job for every 5 people.

and that's not even taking into account geography - more jobs in southeast than in midlands etc

my suggested alternative is paying people a proper wage for working - not exactly radical, just how it's traditionally gone!

It doesn't matter how much you pay people really. If people have spare cash they'll spend it, albeit shopping, drinking etc etc, which in turns pushes the price of living up around them. Business will profit on these people. The entire system is at fault to a degree.  

What people need to learn to do is budget correctly and stop the keeping up with the Jones effect. If people cut back luxuries etc, they could afford the basics. Things like cable/satellite Television, takeaway meals, luxury cars, big houses are not essential.

If you go back to basics does it really cost that much to live? You'll have a poorer standard of living yes but surely people need to consider this when they become unemployed.

My response to the whole workfare scheme is as follows.

If you want people to come off benefits and work at places like this, offer them a job, a contracted permanent job (with a trial period) on minimum wage as you are legally obliged to do

Is that so difficult to understand for the politicians?

If you feel so strongly about it, instead of wasting your time on here and contacting LCFC. Why don't you set up your own company employing all of these folk and pay them a "fair" wage?? Fvck me Leicester fans will moan at all and sundry.

My response to the whole workfare scheme is as follows.

If you want people to come off benefits and work at places like this, offer them a job, a contracted permanent job (with a trial period) on minimum wage as you are legally obliged to do.

Is that so difficult to understand for the politicians?

it didnt get people off the dole in the boom years, they just turned it down. Alot of these people dont know how to help themselves, they suffer anxiety surrounding a job and a daily routine. This could give them the confidence and belief to be self sufficent. If it only benifits a small portion it is worth it, as being just given handouts with no responsibilty is affecting a generation of people who know no different. Can you imagine never having had a job?

Anyone who is made unemployed - and let's face it, that could be any of us at the moment - could end up being forced to work on these schemes. There was a case a few months ago of a woman who was already working on a voluntary basis for her local museum (she wanted to work in that area) being forced to give that up and stack shelves for Poundland or else face having her only means of survival cut off. Where's the sense in that?

Seems to me that the government's intention with this scheme is try to keep wages as low as possible in order to increase profits and make it look like the economy is having some kind of 'recovery' - why should people have to work on zero hour contracts, or have their jobs replaced by people forced to work for free? The club should be supporting the local economy, not making it worse. A 14% unemployment rate is pretty high - and i dont buy into all this 'scroungers' rubbish. In 2006, unemployment in Leicester was less than 10%. There's no way that 4% of the population thought in 2007, around the same time as the financial crash, 'fck it, i can't be arsed to work anymore' - they lost their jobs because of the recession. The club shouldn't be taking advantage of that imo

Don`t get me started on politics, and especially don`t get me started on this government!!!

If you feel so strongly about it, instead of wasting your time on here and contacting LCFC. Why don't you set up your own company employing all of these folk and pay them a "fair" wage?? Fvck me Leicester fans will moan at all and sundry.

i was just interested to see what people thought about it. I have poured a fair bit of money into the club in my time, and workfare is not something im happy that the club is engaging with, so as a fan for 20 odd years i dont see anything wrong in saying that.

I think workfare is a very damaging policy both for the people working for free, and other workers who may see their hours, wages and jobs cut because the club can get labour for free.

Find it worrying that a lot of people seem to have fallen hook line and sinker for the government's line about 'everyone who is unemployed is there because they are too lazy to work', and would rather live it up on benefits. £65 a week is really not very much - unemployed people in the UK already get massively less than in Spain, France or Germany. If that's all you have to live on, in an economic situation with 2.5m unemployed, i think the threat of that being taken away if you dont work for free for a football club with millions of pounds swilling around is pretty disgusting. If there's a job that needs doing, the club should pay for it.

I'm going to wait and see what response i get from the club. But i do think its something that fans of the club shoud be interested in - there's more to LCFC than just what happens on the pitch.

This isn't really about Leicester, it's the entire scheme that pisses me off. Smokescreen to "lower" the unemployment figures (along with "zero hours" contracts) and allow companies below-minimum-wage labour.

And I think one is allowed a little raging against the machine on here - think how many people get stuck into NFP with (seemingly) little justification.

it didnt get people off the dole in the boom years, they just turned it down. Alot of these people dont know how to help themselves, they suffer anxiety surrounding a job and a daily routine. This could give them the confidence and belief to be self sufficent. If it only benifits a small portion it is worth it, as being just given handouts with no responsibilty is affecting a generation of people who know no different. Can you imagine never having had a job?

My point still stands. A scheme like this would be superb, if it paid the amount of money to the people working on it it was legally and morally obliged to pay. I'm all for getting people into work and being harsh with them if they are too lazy to take a job if offered, but any work offered should be a fair days work for a fair days pay.

The argument about working for free is irrelevant no one is working for free, you do a days work and you get paid, you don't want to work you don't get paid, what's the problem?

JSA is not a wage. It's a safety net so that people who lost their jobs don't starve.

Can you explain to me why taxpayers should subsidise massive companies, including football clubs owned by billionaires, so they can get workers for free?

Archived